Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The block won't leak but all the freeze plugs will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

That's not a logically consistent or intelligent thing to say or do.

Just put loving antifreeze in your loving cooling system and fix any leaks so you don't destroy your engine and/or cooling system.

On the other hand, sometimes I need things to break before I can justify fixing it proper. I'm not the OP, I just sympathize with the republican method of maintenence.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Elviscat posted:

That's not a logically consistent or intelligent thing to say or do.

Just put loving antifreeze in your loving cooling system and fix any leaks so you don't destroy your engine and/or cooling system.

No, this is a 67 C10 with a junk small block. Water is more or less free and doesn't cause issues when it leaks.

I should also note that this motor is getting replaced and the radiator needs to get hot tanked and repaired.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR posted:

Uh, you know they were the same car, right? Same factory even. Only real difference was the AC compressor and maybe the radio, IIRC.

I'm old enough that I remember an AI chat or something where the password to join was "prismiscorolla" which I thought was funny. It was kind of an AI meme in the early 00s.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread for Prizm talk- they were good get-to-work cars and the one we had served the family for 20 years with nothing more than oil, tires and a dozen door handles. I hope are Prizms all resting in car heaven now. holy poo poo boring though, but would A+++ recommend borrowing mom's when you don't want to ride your motorcycle 300 mi on a rany winter day.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The episode of This American Life about the NUMMI plant is excellent.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/561/nummi-2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anything I’ve ever done a coolant flush on gets filled with straight water and a bottle of water wetter. It’s good poo poo, if you live in a warm enough climate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Anything I’ve ever done a coolant flush on gets filled with straight water and a bottle of water wetter. It’s good poo poo, if you live in a warm enough climate.

It was cold enough here last week that even 50/50 antifreeze started to freeze.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Valt posted:

That is basically not possible.

You're not just protecting the block (altho once your freeze plugs begin to weep, the block will always be problematic) Water pumps corrode, Radiators, Heater cores. And of course weakening the cooling system can lead to a sudden catastrophic engine overheat.

Coolant is cheap insurance.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

It was cold enough here last week that even 50/50 antifreeze started to freeze.

I wish I could trust anything as much as he trusts that set up

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You're not just protecting the block (altho once your freeze plugs begin to weep, the block will always be problematic) Water pumps corrode, Radiators, Heater cores. And of course weakening the cooling system can lead to a sudden catastrophic engine overheat.

Coolant is cheap insurance.

Not to mention coolant acts as a lubricant and seal conditioner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've run straight water before but only temporarily, like waiting to fix a leak, I won't bother putting coolant in until I fix it.

I can see doing it to an old truck with a lovely motor that leaks and is eventually getting replaced, who cares.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This isn't "what brand/weight of oil is the best?" where there's room for debate, this is "should coolant have coolant in it?". Put the fluid that's supposed to go into the hole into its hole

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's plenty of room for debate, as in I don't feel like putting coolant in my POS so i'm not going to?

If it's significant leak why bother especially if you don't give a poo poo about the motor

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the owner openly says they don't care, why the does anyone else seem to care at all?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

If the owner openly says they don't care, why the does anyone else seem to care at all?

In this case it's a junk motor, so whatever. But a lot of people don't know any better, so this was a conversation.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

monsterzero posted:

Wrong thread for Prizm talk- they were good get-to-work cars and the one we had served the family for 20 years with nothing more than oil, tires and a dozen door handles. I hope are Prizms all resting in car heaven now. holy poo poo boring though, but would A+++ recommend borrowing mom's when you don't want to ride your motorcycle 300 mi on a rany winter day.

Prizm's were an unappreciated national treasure. It's a Corolla without all that pesky resale value.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's his truck he can do what he wants with it, there's no need to shame him because he chooses not to put coolant in it lol

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's his truck he can do what he wants with it, there's no need to shame him because he chooses not to put coolant in it lol

Also I totally understand and anything that is a real car gets coolant in it for all of the stated reasons. The cooling system in the truck involves a $15 water pump and a leaky radiator. I occasionally back flush the radiator out to make sure its not plugged with crap. I take care of my vehicles that don't have $200 craigslist motors in them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

No one is being shamed. Goons are rightly pointing out the reasons why running straight water is not a good thing to do even on a car yoi dont care about. Its moreover a false economy - running coolant will cost you less in even the shorter term and keep the beater more reliable.

Posters can ignore advice but has that ever ended well?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
coolant is like $4/gallon why are you even doing this

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Gotta be honest if I wasn't going to fix the leaks I'd feel a lot better about dripping water all over the place vs coolant.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No one is being shamed. Goons are rightly pointing out the reasons why running straight water is not a good thing to do even on a car yoi dont care about. Its moreover a false economy - running coolant will cost you less in even the shorter term and keep the beater more reliable.

My man, this is a SBC that I paid $200 for. I live in texas where it very rarely gets cold enough to worry about anything freezing with the exception of this week. There is no cost happening here, the water pump is metal and costs about $15 also the truck gets driven about 3k miles a year. A bit of rust in the system is not going to hurt anything for the amount that it gets driven. This is all extremely basic stuff. Its not like putting water in it is somehow going to destroy the truck or the motor (unless it freezes, which is why I addressed it).

**Edit**

I just thought it was silly I had to go stand out in the 10 degree weather with a torch to unfreeze the stupid motor.

**Edit 2**

Not that it matters much but my heater core is not hooked up in the truck. Since the blower motor is dead / full of squirrel nests.

Valt fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 21, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Valt posted:

I just thought it was silly I had to go stand out in the 10 degree weather with a torch to unfreeze the stupid motor.

I had to do that with the first nice car I ever owned. Got it from a used car dealer and it had coolant in it but it was so lovely that it froze. Was like 2 months after I bought it too, fuckers.

Yea wasn't shaming just I had the freeze plug thing happen to my $150 cl 283. It's full of rust and right after I took it out to regasket/paint it the freeze plug under the starter blew out from rust and with long tube headers it was a bitch to change.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Throatwarbler posted:

coolant is like $4/gallon why are you even doing this

Sadly it's up to $10 as a minimum, average maybe 13 here. Really sucks when you're filling a system!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But he wasn't asking for advice he was just telling a funny story :shrug:

Valt posted:

I got it and I laughed if it's any consolation :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 21, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, luckily it wasn't food enough to crack poo poo on you. That's a bad day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Posting this full size so you can marvel at the fine details, and the fact that it's all just wood and house paint.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And plastic splash blocks for gutters! I love it!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

I post in a thread about shaming people for their bad car decisions.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The one time I used Water Wetter (on an LT1 4th gen Z28) my water pump spring a huge leak like a month later (killed the Optispark too) and I've been afraid to use it again ever since. Water pump failures were really common on the LT1 anyway, but
still. It only had about 30k miles on it when it failed.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Strange, double posted when I tried to edit.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 21, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Radiant heating.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

StormDrain posted:

Radiant heating.

Is that running off the heater core? That kinda rules.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Memento posted:

Posting this full size so you can marvel at the fine details, and the fact that it's all just wood and house paint.

It looks like a Powermaster Transformer, the ones that came with a second little robot that changed into an engine that attached to the vehicle mode.

There was Autobot called Slapdash in that toy line.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Memento posted:

Except it's probably PVC, which has a max temp rating of 140f. :negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MRC48B posted:

Except it's probably PVC, which has a max temp rating of 140f. :negative:

Yeah I was mostly joking, but at least it would be easy to change parts out when it inevitably starts leaking. If the problem is "this Minnesotan winter can suck my taint" and the available budget is $no, then that's something I probably would have done as a teenager.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Q_res posted:

Prizm's were an unappreciated national treasure. It's a Corolla without all that pesky resale value.

I have a 95 Corolla and for expensive poo poo like factory service manuals, I just get the Geo version because it's like 1/5 the price. Thanks, Geo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

It might suck in the summer, unless there is a 3 way valve to flip to bypass. You know the AC doesn't work in that car, so you couldn't even counter act it with cold air.