Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mister Kingdom posted:

Go Chariot or go home.

Go Mobile or go home :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
loving amateur night up in here...

But now we're turning this thread into the other thread.

Switching back to terrible:

This truck gets posted every so often with comments relating to imminent suspension failure. What sort of black magic has been keeping this thing afloat for so many years? Maybe he doesn't really drive it anywhere?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEg0P3aDvgg

I appreciate the fact that he picked an appropriate powerplant to propel the 600lbs of metal+rubber that are those wheels.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm genuinely trying to figure out the hub/axle setup here. Is it a FWD and the mechanicals barely clear the inner edge of the wheel?

I can't imagine how fast he goes through tires or how terrible the stopping distance is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Caught this in the wild the other day. Apparently it's a thing? The front end looks like this:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This should explain it a little:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Superbird

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's the same situation as the Doritos Locos Tacos flavored Doritos, but with the Plymouth Superbird and the movie Cars. At least, that's what it looks like. A copy of a movie copy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I know about the Superbird, but it strikes me kinda like those Trans Am conversions on the 5th gen Camaro.

E: Besides, if you're gonna do that, why not stick with the Dodge Brand and make a retro Charger Daytona?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I kind of like both the TA and Superbird conversions, plus they usually have some crazy power under the hood. I'm pretty sure you can get Daytonas, too.

In the interests of full disclosure my DD is a Ram Daytona, so my tastes are suspect.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

The kits can be purchased here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gorilla Salad posted:

For a movie that was so thoroughly panned when it came out and lost so much money at the box office (cost $65m, made back $33m), it's amazing how whenever someone posts a picture of an unpainted vaguely van-shaped vehicle there will be a comment referencing Herkimer Battle Jitneys.

Mystery Men was panned??????? Shows just how bad critics are.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coronet XX posted:

The kits can be purchased here.

:psypop: Someone paid eighteen thousand dollars for that kit?!?!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fucknag posted:

I would hate to think how much it cost the company to get that kit approved by the authorities, and designing it to work with all the safety gear in it

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

Turbo Herkimer from the Mystery Men sequel I can only watch in my mind. :smith:

Typical truck from a typical job site. I'd seen it a few times, but and it took me forever to notice the pipes in front of the rear wheels.

That looks kind of like the 'Pussy Wagon' truck from Kill Bill...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found this beauty on my way from work, I was in a hurry so I couldn't snap more pictures.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wonder if they owned my beater truck previously?

Bodywork: window screening, gobbed on bondo that looks like it was applied with an eggbeater, and HOUSE PAINT.

HOUSE PAINT!@ :supaburn:

loving... HOUSE PAINT! :eng99:

It looks better with it scraped off and gaping rust holes than it did with it "fixed".

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Go Mobile or go home :colbert:

Posting Gerry Anderson creations in the terrible car stuff thread doesn't make sense as he is AI as gently caress.

In Gerry Anderson's vision of the future hypersonic planes perform emergency landings on trucks with slicks fatter than drag cars:

Transportation companies blast their way through mountain ranges with mortar nukes:

Six-lane free-ways including medians and shoulders are laid with a single monstrous vehicle:

And the upper-class ladies of the establishment ride around in six-wheel bubble-dome canopy Rolls:

Sorry, I never got over Gerry's death. May he rest in peace and may I stay out of AI.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

cheese-cube posted:

Sorry, I never got over Gerry's death. May he rest in peace and may I stay out of AI.

I met Gerry at Pinewood one day a couple of years back - up until his death he still had an office there. He was a really nice, humble guy. He was trying to get another model-based show off the ground, apparently, but I guess there was never a chance of that happening. Him and Derek Meddings both being dead is a real loss :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Fucknag posted:

Small price to pay for flip up headlights.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:haw:

Two amps, two 12" subs and NOS

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dang, all I got is an umbrella and a couple of Trader Joes bags.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

KozmoNaut posted:

:haw:

Two amps, two 12" subs and NOS

And a 12" box! :krad:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I saw a C5 Corvette last night that left me in disbelief, which takes a lot considering there are some terrible Corvettes around here.

It had this V12 badge

followed by a TIMBO badge

and topped off with this amazing spoiler.

I would hope they were trolling with the badges but it takes some serious commitment to drill into your decklid for that kind of monstrosity.

He turned around a corner just as I realized what I was looking at, I wish I could have got a shot of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I saw a C5 Corvette last night that left me in disbelief, which takes a lot considering there are some terrible Corvettes around here.

It had this V12 badge

I would hope they were trolling with the badges but it takes some serious commitment to drill into your decklid for that kind of monstrosity.

He turned around a corner just as I realized what I was looking at, I wish I could have got a shot of it.

Has anyone actually ever taken those wings into a wind tunnel and actually seen if they do gently caress all?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

CommieGIR posted:

Has anyone actually ever taken those wings into a wind tunnel and actually seen if they do gently caress all?

They do have an effect. The effect is separating ricers, and people otherwise too stupid to know any better, from their money. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If they did (what one would presume they are supposed to) they would crush the deck lid. I don't think you need a wind tunnel to figure that out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

If they did (what one would presume they are supposed to) they would crush the deck lid. I don't think you need a wind tunnel to figure that out.

Or that pushing down on the back of a FWD car isn't the most effective way to go fast.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not that those wings aren't stupid, but aerodynamics have almost nothing to do with the driving wheels.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SaNChEzZ posted:

Related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEg0P3aDvgg

I appreciate the fact that he picked an appropriate powerplant to propel the 600lbs of metal+rubber that are those wheels.

I wanna see this guy take a corner at 10mph and flip the car

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
While that is a dumb wing, the generalizations of aerodynamics and misinformation about it, are about only two steps ahead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Octopus Magic posted:

While that is a dumb wing, the generalizations of aerodynamics and misinformation about it, are about only two steps ahead.

Where do non-contributing snide remarks fall?

Edit: V Fair enough, I was just hoping to prod some actual information to explain it, rather than a "Look at these foolish plebs!" *adjusts fedora*

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 29, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Where do non-contributing snide remarks fall?

Only slightly ahead of posting about posting.

Saw this a while back. The cuts in the grille to clear the lights look like they'd been made with a Leatherman. Why didn't they just bolt the lights an inch further forward? :psyduck:

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

They probably run into a lot of things, hence why they need extra light.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

I just want to know why there's a PA speaker under the back bumper.

Not shown: LCD screen swinging wildly from a rope tied to the rearview mirror.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Fair enough, I was just hoping to prod some actual information to explain it, rather than a "Look at these foolish plebs!" *adjusts fedora*

The common anti-ricer sentiment with "LOL YOU PUT WINGS ON YOUR NON-DRIVEN WHEELS" is that wings are only beneficial on wheels that are getting driven. The flawed logic for thinking this way could be either that they're just useful in helping put power down, or that only a RWD can kick the rear end-end out.

The reality is that there are plenty of ways a FWD car can experience oversteer, and depending on the car, its intended use, and what modifications are allowable or desirable in said use, there absolutely can be a case made for adding downforce to the rear of a FWD car.

More terrible:

Fisker Karma. Belongs in this thread due to the fact that apparently this car represents a ~$500k loss for the company, and that somehow while the Volt isn't allowed to get the alt-fuel plate in AZ, the Karma can - despite getting only 20MPG in range-extension mode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I just want to know why there's a PA speaker under the back bumper.

Not shown: LCD screen swinging wildly from a rope tied to the rearview mirror.
They're announcing their blues show band and revue.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
ai.jpg

In this thread because safety

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:allears: do you think they take turns?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

blk posted:

ai.jpg

I can't believe that truck isn't completely bottomed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

blk posted:

ai.jpg

Was it a crash and the pickup's driver just didn't notice?