Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

InitialDave posted:

How? Isn't it the same design used by step-climbing sack trollies etc the world over?

Looks like he's referencing this wiki article HOLY poo poo THOSE CANNONS :circlefap:

I guess maybe the patent is for the vehicle itself, not the wheels? I can't really find anything else on it. Those little amphicars are awesome, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Patents have a relatively short life, it would have expired in 1984 and anyone after that could freely use the design.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/other/replica/auction-587842720.htm

$45,000 for a replica of the worst Ferrari made from a Peugeot?

In some ways this must take so much effort that I'm almost impressed that they ever did this.

On the other hand, no.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What's wrong with the 360?

I agree completely that it's a horrible idea, though. The 406 Coupé is pretty enough on it's own, no reason to make it into a half-assed replica of a Ferrari. At least the proportions look right, I guess.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
While there is nothing wrong mechanically with the 360, I feel like it signifies the point where Ferrari became a bit less special and a lot less significant in the supercar world - I do not feel it had the desirability or visual attractiveness of the 355 before it.

The design for the 360 is inconsistent - particularly the rear - and does not have the outrageous, distinct appearance of previous models like the 355, 512TR or F40. While a modern Ferrari's design language is instantly recognizable, it is anonymous compared to classic models.

It could be compared to Porsche's 996 series of the 911 - a visually and mechanically different (and superior) model to the older cars that loses some of what makes the car special and different to contemporaries.

As with the 996, it does not seem to be a particularly coveted or desirable model, with most models selling for substantially less than a 355 or 430 - which likely knocks down its country club appeal.

Given, none of this makes the 360 a terrible car, but of all Ferarris it would be certainly be one of the last I would consider purchasing.

(Disclaimer: As I choose to waste my money on Porsches instead of Ferraris my taste may be questionable when it comes to talking about them :downs:)

Additionally, to contribute something topical:

New Zealand has endless quantities of 'rare' JDM cars (GTR Skylines, pre-6/FQ series evolutions, limited run STis, Spirit-R RX7/RX8s, JDM Type R Hondas), yet for some reason some of the most expensive and sought after cars seem to be 1970s era Poverty-spec family cars.

For the same price as a R32 GTR Skyline, you can own a car with the handsome looks of a cheap facsimile of a malaise-era US grocery cart with the chassis rigidity of a dairy product (milk, not cheese), handling characteristics that compare unfavorably to buildings, reliability standing shoulder to shoulder with the best British Leyland could sputter out and (in the case of the Rotary engined Mazdas) the 9mpg that you'd expect from an engine that makes 150 horsepower when bridge ported.

(To further elongate this ramble of exasperation, due to being made out of melted down mortar casings and oil drums, Japanese cars of this era have a propensity to rust away to vapors faster than a Lancia Delta, and fixing one electrical fault with them will always create two new ones)

Spades fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 3, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think the 360 is sexy as hell.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I think I spent all my time during my Australia trip drooling over the cars. So many awesome things just cruising around everywhere. :allears:

Some aussie goon please send me an R32 GTR please, tia

e. I know you said NZ, but I saw the same thing in Australia I mean

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I think I spent all my time during my Australia trip drooling over the cars. So many awesome things just cruising around everywhere. :allears:

Some aussie goon please send me an R32 GTR please, tia

e. I know you said NZ, but I saw the same thing in Australia I mean

Meh, we get JDM imports in Calgary all the time. Most of them end up getting totaled trying to turn left from my (biased) observations. Plus they all look like worn out shitboxes. You don't really want one, trust me.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Full video, guess it's a million years old, too.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I like to imagine this car is constantly screaming. Eyes shut tight, wailing at the top of its lungs. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!"

All because someone held up a mirror in front of it.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Spades posted:

While there is nothing wrong mechanically with the 360, I feel like it signifies the point where Ferrari became a bit less special and a lot less significant in the supercar world - I do not feel it had the desirability or visual attractiveness of the 355 before it.

I always thought of the 355 as the most boring Ferrari...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Aureus posted:

That would be the Mondial.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

VikingSkull posted:

That would be the Mondial.

This times eleventeen.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I think there's more boring examples - for myself, possibly the 365 GT4 2+2.

Ferrari was ahead of its time in making the Subaru XT.

Spades fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 4, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Aureus posted:

The 355 is pretty exciting, if only because it was the first Ferrari in a long time that wasn't a steaming heap of poo poo (with a couple exceptions). People forget all too often how terrible the Ferraris of the late 70s-early 90s were (again, with a couple exceptions). It was the car that the 512/Testarossa and the 348 could only have hoped to be.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kastein posted:

It's not just idiot truck bros with grasshopper lifted diesels, either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHODg5091U

:cripes:

From a while back, but this is how you do exhaust correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPqPDdiiJIw

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Welcome to Florida, where "because I was tweeked out and gently caress YOU" is a perfectly valid reason to do things to your car.

Can't really see, but the driver did look like he had spent the better part of his life cramming meth into his face.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Welcome to Florida, where "because I was tweeked out and gently caress YOU" is a perfectly valid reason to do things to your car.

Can't really see, but the driver did look like he had spent the better part of his life cramming meth into his face.

Why do people put those damned mailbox stickers on their car and then expect to be taken seriously ever again?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Florida, where a '95 Ranger is a new toy worth bragging about.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Why do people put those damned mailbox stickers on their car and then expect to be taken seriously ever again?

I was driving behind a guy in a lifted truck on Friday morning on my way in to work. He had, in poorly aligned black letter stickers "NY PEOPLE = poo poo" on the back bumper. :psyduck: I don't know what the gently caress, but I laughed until I had tears coming out of my eyes. Everyone else probably thought I was high or something.

I don't know how you have something like that on your car in New York and don't end up with an rear end kicking or at least a flat / key job.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

kastein posted:

It's not just idiot truck bros with grasshopper lifted diesels, either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHODg5091U

:cripes:

What the hell do you have to do to your car to get this? Did he just remove all the cats, muffler and fuel up with the lowest quality diesel known to man kind?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Remove the particulate filter (if fitted), wind up the injector duty cycle to 11, act surprised when all that excess carbon causes your valves to stick/pistons to melt.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hear rings are best stuck to the sides of pistons with giant gobs of soot, yes.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cruseydr posted:

It looks so much better with the 'stache shaved off.

I've always thought the Karma was gorgeous, but this, this is awesome and so much better looking. My only concern is what happens to the Destino when Fisker goes belly up? I wonder if Bob Lutz & VL could buy the tooling keep cranking out the bodies.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

1m3s is the best part

A couple days ago I saw a silver Toyota Sienna with a black rectangle above the rear licence plate which made the back look just like a moustached face.

Oh hey apparently that's how they come stock:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ran out to run some errands and saw this sitting on a small dealer lot

It's a 2005 Saleen Focus. Now besides the writing on the window it's amusing to me because this is the fourth dealer to have this car in maybe three years. I don't know if it has some terrible problem or if it's a bitch to insure but it keeps popping up for sale.

Edit: and they want $11K for it.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

An Audi r8 with a giant spoiler supporting it's luggage rack. 50/50 whether this is the right thread or not. I made my choice where to post it.

Source.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Ran out to run some errands and saw this sitting on a small dealer lot

It's a 2005 Saleen Focus. Now besides the writing on the window it's amusing to me because this is the fourth dealer to have this car in maybe three years. I don't know if it has some terrible problem or if it's a bitch to insure but it keeps popping up for sale.

Edit: and they want $11K for it.

Hey, it has *UNDER BODY* LIGHTS*

That pretty much makes it exactly like the movie. EXACTLY. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Hey, it has *UNDER BODY* LIGHTS*

That pretty much makes it exactly like the movie. EXACTLY. :colbert:

Honestly if it was $3000 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and make it even worse.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The rusted piece of poo poo rotors are what really ties the piece together.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's a silly point, most rotors will rust when they're just sitting around.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
On a rainy day in FL I've seen them get rusty in 6 hours.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JP Money posted:

That's a silly point, most rotors will rust when they're just sitting around.

I was highlighting the badly painted calipers mostly. They were red a few years ago, also badly painted.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Rhyno posted:

I was highlighting the badly painted calipers mostly. They were red a few years ago, also badly painted.

Oh no I agree with you on that. I just think pointing out rotors rusting is silly. They'll easily get surface rust all over them if it's just sitting in the rain in some lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JP Money posted:

Oh no I agree with you on that. I just think pointing out rotors rusting is silly. They'll easily get surface rust all over them if it's just sitting in the rain in some lot.

Nothing a few hard stops can't fix!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

grumplestiltzkin posted:

An Audi r8 with a giant spoiler supporting it's luggage rack. 50/50 whether this is the right thread or not. I made my choice where to post it.

Source.

This man and his cars have been established AI as gently caress many times over.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

It's a 2005 Saleen Focus.

IIRC the Saleen Focus was basically a body kit, slightly upscale interior, lower suspension and pre-plumbed for nitrous (but not connected and you'd void your factory warranty if you plugged a tank into the system) for something absurd like $27k.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

IIRC the Saleen Focus was basically a body kit, slightly upscale interior, lower suspension and pre-plumbed for nitrous (but not connected and you'd void your factory warranty if you plugged a tank into the system) for something absurd like $27k.

Before I became a true "car guy" I had plans to buy and rice the poo poo out of a Focus so I was pretty familiar with the Saleens but I really think it was more than that. Hell the uninstalled kits were expensive as hell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bullshit, there's no way that's fast and furious. There's no way that shift knob is large enough for the legend for a proper 19 speed F&F transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IPCRESS posted:

Remove the particulate filter (if fitted), wind up the injector duty cycle to 11, act surprised when all that excess carbon causes your valves to stick/pistons to melt.

My boss has a 6.4L Super Duty with performance exhaust and a chip. Not quite rollin' coal levels, but it'll belch smoke all the way across the parking lot at least (I've never had opportunity to see it get up to speed). I've been giving him poo poo about it lately, but he's assured me that he knows what he's doing.

Meanwhile, he's replaced most of the cooling system in the past year due to leaks, and is now installing a standalone oil cooler since the factory one has its coolant passages blocked with poo poo. But hey, his priorities are in order; he covered up the ugly beige two-tone paint on the bottom half with camo vinyl. :v: