Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Uthor posted:

Recently I noticed that my left leg is pushing against the floor in my automatic when I'm slowing down. Four years since I drove a manual, my body is still acting like I am.

I panicked the first time I drove an automatic after years of manuals the first time I went to take a corner and couldn't find the clutch or shifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or you do like i did in my wifes car you pop it into neutral accidentally and just slowly roll to a stop

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I panicked the first time I drove an automatic after years of manuals the first time I went to take a corner and couldn't find the clutch or shifter.

Lol I've done this before, split second pucker, then oh yeah it's an automatic :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol I've done this before, split second pucker, then oh yeah it's an automatic :v:

Same. Panicked thinking the clutch had sunk to the floor and rushed to grab the shifter to take it out of gear.....and realized I was in an automatic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Even more fun is pushing in the clutch only to discover rather harshly that you've pushed on the left side of the brake pedal.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/O5Oqv9c.mp4

Just Mustang things

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The MountieMustang always gets his man

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I had to learn more:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/sports-car-experience-crash-czech-republic-b2519908.html posted:

Unlicensed drink-driver crashes Ford Mustang during gifted birthday experience
Footage shows the moment an unlicenced drink-driver crashed a Ford Mustang during his gifted birthday experience.

The incident happened shortly before 4pm on Sunday 24 March in Hradec Králové, a city in the Czech Republic.

A statement from police confirmed the 50-year-old driver had “strengthened himself with a beer and a shot of rum before driving” and tested positive for alcohol during a breathalyzer test at the scene of the crash.

He committed 4 offences at the same time - running a red light, not adjusting the speed limit, driving without a driver’s license and alcohol behind the wheel.

The experience was supposed to be a ride in a sports car as a passenger, but the man was offered to drive the vehicle instead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That took talent.
Like, my man, get off the accelerator.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some years ago I spent a summer across the country helping clean up and sell a deceased relative's house full of possessions. It was a shitload of driving loads of stuff to Goodwill, to storage, to the dump, mostly in an automatic pickup.

When I got back home to my car, I couldn't start it and briefly was really confused. After ten seconds I remembered that you have to press the clutch or the starter won't turn.

Now you know my shame.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The single giveaway is right here:

"EVs to the rescue" man what a depressing phrase. I definitely think there's a distinction between driving because you have to (which is like 99% of all car trips) and driving because it's fun. Those people who don't enjoy driving because it's just a means to an end never will enjoy it but there'll still be some weirdos who enjoy a weekend trip in a vehicle with less than efficient drivetrains because they're more involving to take on those trips. It's like people who listen to vinyl, it's objectively shittier quality and more prone to imperfections but I'm not knocking people for enjoying the process of it all.

As someone who was literally this afternoon released from a month in Toyota corolla rental hell while my cayman was in the body shop thanks to some smooth-brained truck driver who thought his 7’ wide truck would fit through a 6’ wide gap, the first time I ran it through the gears I *immediately* stopped caring that the corolla would do 40mpg at highway speeds. Like finding out that the chick you had a crush on was secretly a furry (also a true story), I snapped back to reality instantly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

That took talent.
Like, my man, get off the accelerator.

When in doubt, power out. He was *this* close to saving it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd love a way to make the Google news feed etc to just never show me opinion pieces.
Agreed and 100% get what you mean, but unfortunately even non-opinion pieces are generally filtered through the lens of whichever newsfeed/media outlet that is reporting on it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Today I learned via Just Rolled In that new Broncos come with a plastic oil pan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

This is quite common these days. Even on some heavy trucks.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Powershift posted:

This is quite common these days. Even on some heavy trucks.

My buddy has a first gen 6.7 f-350 (2012 model year?) and it’s got a plastic oil pan. They’ve been around a lot longer than we realize.

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That just jogged my memory, but I seem to recall my dad telling me years ago that someone (AMC maybe?) started putting plastic valve covers on their cars in the 70s and everyone made fun of them for it, but then in the 90s we had a couple Ford products that had the same thing, plastic valve covers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

charliemonster42 posted:

My buddy has a first gen 6.7 f-350 (2012 model year?) and it’s got a plastic oil pan. They’ve been around a lot longer than we realize.

With the 6.7...wait until they get the upper gasket leak.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

2011. He should sell it before it swallows a valve and or glowplug.
The 12+ (march 2012 on) has a stamped steel pan and supposedly the valves/glowplugs are fine.

Colostomy Bag posted:

With the 6.7...wait until they get the upper gasket leak.

Yeah, step one. Remove transmission. Step two, buy a metric shitload of one time use fasteners to reinstall said transmission.
It's a slog bastard of a job. 12 some odd hours book time so around 20 in reality. There's also an oil galley for the oil cooler/filter/etc with a little plug that likes to spin sideways and cause oil pressure/oil temperature issues requiring breaking the upper oil pan down.

gently caress those goddamned engines.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress those goddamned engines.

The one thing I really can't understand, is how the CP4 is still able to exist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

The one thing I really can't understand, is how the CP4 is still able to exist.

It outlives the warranty most of the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ether Frenzy posted:

When in doubt, power out. He was *this* close to saving it

Uh, no. He'd already tried that and took the front and rear fascia off with two curbs and a sign. The little tap on the minivan did nothing but put a chef's kiss on the whole thing.

Or was that :thejoke: ?

Scratch Monkey posted:

At least it won't rust out, I guess? Mind you any sort of impact can now take out the engine...
I'm sure that's never an issue with a vehicle intended for off-road.

wesleywillis posted:

That just jogged my memory, but I seem to recall my dad telling me years ago that someone (AMC maybe?) started putting plastic valve covers on their cars in the 70s and everyone made fun of them for it, but then in the 90s we had a couple Ford products that had the same thing, plastic valve covers.

Every Ford mod-motor has plastic cam covers. And intake.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:lol:

https://twitter.com/99_Colorado/status/1773485724572012558?t=PtWWlRwzN8MkmcKcqoBtNw&s=19

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Ewww the song. Guess Elon can't even make chuds happy anymore

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I hate the future myopic design

E: you shouldn't be able to put that much stuff on the disk in the first place if it needs that much space to properly function, the future just seems to make obvious oversights easier to slip through the cracks

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 29, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Tesla STILL having the error and logs filling the local SSD? LMAO

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla STILL having the error and logs filling the local SSD? LMAO

Well, apparently it no longer bricks the car so I guess it’s an improvement

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Uthor posted:

Recently I noticed that my left leg is pushing against the floor in my automatic when I'm slowing down. Four years since I drove a manual, my body is still acting like I am.

Last September I bought my first automatic in probably more than a decade, maybe even 15 years, and it took months to stop pushing the ghost clutch pedal. I just did it for the first time in a while this past week. Probably something to zoning out during the commute and falling into old muscle memory or something but it does briefly make you feel like a fool, and yeah probably going to stick with me for a while. I should just buy a stickshift car again, problem solved.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://x.com/teslaownerssv/status/1774127881586970754

:lol: my father has driven his prize 60s Mercedes over harsher roads than this just to get it to the mechanic.

:mediocre:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Driving my sick cybertruck OFFROAD!! (it's the dirt path from the highway to the parking lot at the Ren Faire)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://x.com/teslaownerssv/status/1774127881586970754

:lol: my father has driven his prize 60s Mercedes over harsher roads than this just to get it to the mechanic.

:mediocre:

If this is off-roading, the fire roads I've taken my fwd golf on lowering springs and 80% worn summer tires makes it basically a rock crawler rig.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Only someone dumb enough to buy a Tesla would think that counts as off roading

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If this is offroading, the former goat track that my mother in law's house and 30 others are on in rural England is the Paris-Dakar Rally

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"off roading" on a road 15ft from a paved road and rating it successful

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
what are you gonna even charge it on off-road, a elk?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just cramming an entire elk into my Mister Fusion

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genuinely thankful for Tesla otherwise I wouldn't have posted so much amusing poo poo in this thread :allears:

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774207552911249895?t=B_IT7tweTyl3GHHiwq_mLA&s=19

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774208056861118866?t=4abDBFY2TG7RYh8W8vFb_w&s=19

It did apparently 'fix' itself when he got out but lol at there being a danger to manifold style screen of death. And I'd be incredibly wary of the car after this, service centre visit or not.

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774208633351319944?t=_VqReJir1CYO4cYk2eVKMw&s=19

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
You couldn't pay me enough to get in a Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Genuinely thankful for Tesla otherwise I wouldn't have posted so much amusing poo poo in this thread :allears:

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774207552911249895?t=B_IT7tweTyl3GHHiwq_mLA&s=19

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774208056861118866?t=4abDBFY2TG7RYh8W8vFb_w&s=19

It did apparently 'fix' itself when he got out but lol at there being a danger to manifold style screen of death. And I'd be incredibly wary of the car after this, service centre visit or not.

https://twitter.com/LamarMK/status/1774208633351319944?t=_VqReJir1CYO4cYk2eVKMw&s=19
wow cool it's just like when my ship takes damage in my favorite space trucker simulator