Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Seriously. Lets just make all of AI one thread: POST CAR STUFF HERE.
poo poo, that'd take care of all the forums and sub-forums.

SomethingAwful: Post Everything Here

The cellphone thread and the dumb poo poo ya' heard thread could certainly be combined, but the CL/eBay thread, and the mechanical failures thread were great because they were kept on-topic by the posters themselves. I knew what I was getting, and when there were a bunch of new posts, I knew something awesome had been posted. The biggest problem with aggregating all these threads is, as someone else said, it becomes a Pinterest thread about cars. It'll move too fast, and good poo poo will get passed over. I sure as hell don't have the time to wade through a 200+ post/day thread.

Another vote for separate threads.

No going Integral on us Calculus. No reason for making mega mega posts, its not like AI generates a huge amount of threads. Who cares if a few people complain about wrong thread or whatever, you don't have to resolve all the "Report" clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thread consolidation seems totally pointless.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's fine to me. The only thread that may stand on it's own is the mechanical failure thread but it works in here anyway. And besides, IOC said he's not worried about derails/discussions so I don't see the problem.

Did we really need a cell phone pics thread?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

Did we really need a cell phone pics thread?

No one is asking for that. They want;
1. Most AI poo poo
2. Stupid AI poo poo
3. Mechanical failures
3. Craigslist/eBay.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I just consolidated all my credit card debt I got from the multi level marketing scam I fell for.
The forums work the same way.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

No one is asking for that. They want;
1. Most AI poo poo
2. Stupid AI poo poo
3. Mechanical failures
3. Craigslist/eBay.
Yeah, the mechanical failures thread was definitely it's own thing, as was the craigslist. Consolidating the other threads made sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So clearly this went over as well as my old Volvo's last six emissions tests. I'll reopen the CL and mechanical failures threads.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

IOwnCalculus posted:

So clearly this went over as well as my old Volvo's last six emissions tests. I'll reopen the CL and mechanical failures threads.

Awesome! Thank you!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You're the best mod; I wish you were my daddy.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

IOwnCalculus posted:

Flipflopper. AI needs leadership we can trust!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

astrollinthepork posted:

Awesome! Thank you!

God help me, I like this and would drive it.

e. minus the silly rear end hood pins.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

So clearly this went over as well as my old Volvo's last six emissions tests.

1996 850 Schedule J vehicle? If so, I felt the same pain but only for 2 tests before I shucked it at Adessa in Tracy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

1996 850 Schedule J vehicle? If so, I felt the same pain but only for 2 tests before I shucked it at Adessa in Tracy.

Oh god if it was a '96 it'd have OBDII and I would've been able to diagnose it myself. My '88 240 was running very lean based on the sniffer results, but with no other symptoms, so I basically had to try something, test, fail, try again.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
I got behind this bad boy on my way to work a couple of months ago:

And this happened one Saturday morning outside my apartment (my door is just out of frame to the right):

All I could find out is that the owner had driven for 4 1/2 hours and was upstairs taking a nap when that happened. I had to use my back door and go around to investigate, because when the thing was on fire it looked like Silent Hill outside my front door.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MrSaturn posted:

Serious question: does hellaflush go here now?

There's a hellaflush thread for praise/poo poo talking if you'd like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can we have an "AI Garage" thread for pointless derails too?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's gotta be Las Cruces. :staredog:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh god if it was a '96 it'd have OBDII and I would've been able to diagnose it myself. My '88 240 was running very lean based on the sniffer results, but with no other symptoms, so I basically had to try something, test, fail, try again.

You'd think that would be awesome, but it's not since it's the first Volvo year with a government mandated OBD2 port. No matter how many times you try to smog it, it will fail for more open monitors than are allowed. We didn't know this for the first 2 months of trying to get it to pass smog with no noticeable faults until we heard of the mysterious "CA Schedule J" a.k.a. impossible to smog list. First, you have to take it to a smog shop no less than 2 times. At this point, you need a letter from the smog shop stating that under no uncertain terms will this car pass smog because of open monitors even though it's layed out on Schedule J that this is the condition on why it will never pass smog. Now at this point, you're thinking,"Keykey, that's strange because thereis a schedule outlining this vehicle and in fact this vehicle is specifically named in the schedule!" And I'd agree, except the state of CA has its bureaocracy process and this is how it has to be done. At this point, you take it to a state referee station and they know exactly what cars are on the list so you take it there and after wasting no less than 3 days each time you need to smog it, it will pass with flying colors assuming there are no needed corrections and certain lights are out, etc.. I went through 2 smog processes with it. After it smogged the 2nd time I realized how much of a pain in the rear end it was going to be so I threw it to the auction.

edit: I had the name wrong, it's Appendix J. And this is as terrible as this thread can get, not being able to smog a car no matter how much you try or want it to pass. If you're vehicle is in this PDF, may god have mercy upon your soul: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/ftp/pdfdocs/appendix_j.pdf

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 20, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Behold the horror that is Mynheer.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good god those are literal whale tails

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saw this fine piece of art this AM. The front looked even worse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Saw this fine piece of art this AM. The front looked even worse.

hey, at least he painted it!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zeether posted:

What am I even, what :psyduck:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Oh God, it's like a British bosozoku. I honestly have no idea how to react. Do I laugh? Do I cry? Both?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Zeether posted:

Oh god I just realized this isn't even a Civic, it's a drat Volvo S70 with aftermarket Civic lights grafted on :barf:

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh god I just realized this isn't even a Civic, it's a drat Volvo S70 with aftermarket Civic lights grafted on :barf:
I was happily convinced that was a Civic until you pointed it out. Thanks.

These are a fairly expensive mod for early GD Subarus but I just can't stand them at all:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was happily convinced that was a Civic until you pointed it out. Thanks.

These are a fairly expensive mod for early GD Subarus but I just can't stand them at all:

Looks like a spider with one of those silly golf hats.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

I fantasize about a world where diamond plate doesn't exist.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Blood Magnet posted:

I fantasize about a world where diamond plate doesn't exist.
I fantasize about a world where trophies go to people who deserve them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

How about this retard? I used to ride this road 3-4 times a week, everyone knows this corner - it crests blindly then cuts hard left, lots of people have run off. Lack of driving skill here is off the charts.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's like he didn't even try to turn.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They STILL make Mischief videos? I remember reading a review of one of them in a magazine and it sounded like it was just a full hour of people being idiots while driving.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That was an excellent camera angle until his poor driving got him, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

How about this retard? I used to ride this road 3-4 times a week, everyone knows this corner - it crests blindly then cuts hard left, lots of people have run off. Lack of driving skill here is off the charts.

What road is that? It almost looks like bits of AZ238 but I don't think 238 is that twisty.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Brit goons, please explain this. From 80s to weird to bad back to awesome:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

I don't care what anyone says, this owns. :colbert:

Speaking of horribly terrible and back to awesome:

Found it when I was searching for this:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I like 4x4/offroad trucks and this is still an abominable thing that should be nuked from orbit.

Also, on the thread consolidation derail - I was fine with:
terrible (terrible stuff people say/put on their cars/you took pictures of, terrible cl listings, etc go here)
awesome (see above)
horrible mechanical failures (because they are awesomely horrible, they kinda don't fall in either category)

but I rarely look at the cl thread, so I don't really care either way.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm glad we got the CL and Mechanical Failures threads back (because they are awesome) but in addition we now have this thread which means my terrible car-related mishap enjoyment has been effectively doubled! Christmas came early, thanks Papa Calculus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

I had this toy as a kid but never knew anything about it. Randomly showed up at my aunt's condo one day and I recall never being able to get it fully folded up with the plane inside. What was it? From a movie or something?