Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I couldn't decide which topic to put this one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

blugu64 posted:

Kids from the 90s can drive now??!!??

EDIT: Way more :corsair: when I stop and realize that Nevermind came out 22 years ago.

High school freshmen (this upcoming august) were born in 1999.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Crankit posted:

Hey guys check out this wiki designed car.

I'll let you ride first.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
They were driving along at a good 55mph. It's a roll of carpet.

(Photo taken by passenger :) )

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It came from the hotel parking lot.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
My younger brother made a copy of one of his frat brothers' keys and would repark his car all the time, leave random fruit on the dashboard, or a stack of pamphlets for strip clubs on the passenger seat, stuff like that. He said that he never figured it out.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MrChips posted:

That's a plate begging for a Rover.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Uthor posted:

I haven't worked with manufacturing, but whenever I'm detailing prints, the guys who have worked manufacturing jobs make sure I do it as simply as possible, usually followed by "if they have to think about it, they'll just make the parts however they feel like it instead."

That leads to doing things that make sense from an engineering perspective (I care where the holes are relative each other, not the edges of the part, so I will dimension everything from the center of the holes) that don't make sense to the guy making the part (I can measure the hole locations from the edge of the part, so why aren't all the dimensions from the edge?).

I wish I worked closer with manufacturing instead of as a 3rd party supplier in an office far away. Whenever manufacturing gets involved, I learn a lot, especially the meaning of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

It really helps to have to manufacture something yourself a few times after you designed a part. You learn quickly as to what's good practice and what's not for when you're just designing parts to be sent off to a manufacturer to do it for you later. Not to mention other considerations such as assembly and tool/hand fits after manufacturing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Scrambles posted:

I thought the terrible thing was that sign saying SOUTH NORTH

Driving in Northern Virginia is Terrible Car Stuff, in general.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

FatCow posted:

The cameras/lasers point down, maybe some kind of rolling road inspector?

It's most definitely this. The LIDAR pointing straight down and a nice GPS antenna on the front of the rack is the giveaway. I'd guess they are mapping out stuff like lane markings (which can be picked up by LIDAR!) actual road width/curbs, potholes, things like that.

I have to say I've never seen a LIDAR like that though. Looks like they repurposed some industrial single plane thing and enclosed it.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 29, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

SneakyFrog posted:

Hey cool, looks like a Riegl Q20 or Z210ii

If its either of those models its most likely exactly what its doing, We call it a road surface profile, you can also measure curb lines and certain lane makings or wear depending on the lidar model.

Would you know how much those roughly cost off the top of your head? I'm curious to see how it compares to the ones we use at work.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

SneakyFrog posted:

eh..... it depends on whether its a line scanner or a full 3d one, but eh ballpark around 130k-ish in pricing depending on who you work for. Why you wanna let me sell you one? Tell me you got an airplane so i can sell you millions worth of stuff.

That is way more than I was expecting, you can get a Velodyne 64 for like 65k and that's a lot of overkill for us. (The new 16 plane one that they just came out with for like 6k is looking mighty good, SICK better watch out) I don't have an airplane, but I do have a garage of self driving cars.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It came from Tennessee:

https://twitter.com/Everything_TN/status/713608879993700354

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Doesn't the CAN bus not have interrupts built in and just assigns everything a priority on the same bus? I could be mixing things up but wasn't a possible Prius braking issue to do with inadequate memory sizes and as a result not running some instructions fast enough?

Are the circuits actually separated now? Last I was reading anything on CAN bus could be a possible vector for malicious code.

In the past few years the trend has been to segregate devices on discrete CAN buses and forward select data between buses as necessary at some central gateway device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

StormDrain posted:

That is incredibly bad. I don't think any of then stand up to close scrutiny but you don't usually notice on the street, are any of them actually good or hidden? I have to assume if they're good I haven't seen them at all.

My 2020 Si has it behind the left bumper. Only way you know is by reading the manual saying don’t put anything in front of it.