Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

I could, but I doubt it would be significantly faster than the Mazda 3 or the WRX I drive. Both of which still seat 5 people. My cars get 30+ MPG while simultaneously costing over $30,000 less. The Cayenne is a horrible compromise just so it could be bigger. And I guess it can tow stuff, which I've literally never seen any Cayenne owner do.

:v:

e: then again, i don't own it... yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Prong Song posted:

I'm buying a Cayenne Diesel to use as a DD and tow vehicle for my dedicated racecar, because it can pull nearly 8K lbs, and it's better to drive and exist in than a CHEBBY DURAMAX DIESEL XXL 2500 XHD. Vehicles that can tow over 6K lbs and AREN'T trucks is limited entirely to SUV/CUVs in the US.

Just don't let it sit for more than a couple of weeks, the urea will crystalize and require you to replace the entire DEF tank.

Personal experience

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Basically an entire day was spent pulling the human interface design to bits on just this single car, engineers and designers blaming each other along the way.

I'd have loved to be in the room for this

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is diesel oil, that is normal :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lol, that is a harness bar so you can be sure that you're getting your neck broken in a roll over

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah like I said. The new Golf will always have the hardware for adaptive cruise control but the function will be a software upgrade that you can purchase later if you wish to. No idea if it will be tied to the car then or if the functionality will be lost when you sell the car.
It's not EVs, it new cars in general that will do that kind of poo poo.

Software unlock when

Similar to the i3 extra fuel tank capacity / hold battery charge mode

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

joat mon posted:

Out of curiosity, why? I get no meth/coke, but what's the issue for LSD?

its all fun and games until the acid starts tinting your normal weed highs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
my life summed up in one pic

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Blue On Blue posted:

These days it’s gotta be 3-400 to be considered even worthy of being a sports car

maybe if you mean gt car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol that has to be the scottsdale mclaren dealership. :rip:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yeah, it was. :lol:

quote:

The BMW was t-boned and hit the 720S, which got pushed into the building, broke the glass which hit another 720S, there was a Rolls Royce also damaged.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm renewing my S2000 registration with collector car insurance for that cool emissions bypass, gently caress it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I gave iracing a shot (~50hr) in VR with Fanatec stuff. The VR helped because you get the micro-rotation of the car under your gimballed head, but you still can't feel the weight transfer of the car or what the tires are doing with respect to the slip-grip or silence in slide. Just didn't work out for me enjoyment wise, meh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 18, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
LOL holy gently caress

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A new rotary from Mazda being taken to bits to check it's up to scratch. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YFQQ7FiIk

I think the info floating around about that motor is that it had actually clearly been opened before based on the sealant used and some other poo poo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They cracked open the replacement and it's exactly the same with RTV.

"...that's how they come...

...whoever says that's too much doesn't know what the gently caress they're talking about"

https://youtu.be/pzb2_XfIzxc

So, wait, these things are sold as new by Mazda, not reman? The gently caress

e: to be clear, I thought when they said 'new' in the first video it was hyperbole

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 22, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd drive that and be force myself to get into that ninja streetwear fashion thing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MomJeans420 posted:

I recently drove a friend's fairly new Honda Accord, not sure what year or what exact trim but it seemed to be a higher end model. It had a punchy amount of power, but the torque steer was so bad it completely ruined the driving experience. The car only had 30k miles so I can't imagine its suspension is in need of work. I haven't really driven a FWD car since 2007, when I got rid of my Acura TL, but even the 2019 Accords look like they're only 25HP more than my TL, which wasn't nearly as bad. Is this just a thing now?

It seems like it is a thing, especially with no LSD.

In other news, I have it on good word that HASport is working on a mount kit to put the turbo Type-R / Accord K20C with a Type-R trans into a 1st gen NSX.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The starter is a pain in the rear end to get to and you tend to end up breaking the expensive knock sensor (the green plug) by accident while threading the socket/extensions. A lot of people leave the top starter bolt out and the top bell housing bolts out as it saves hours when you have to pull the trans again.

The vtec solenoid is missing, so I'm curious if it has single lobe cams in there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, I should have clarified, the top starter bolt has to come out to pull the transmission, which is why the mentioned bolts get left out. I don't mean in normal cases, I mean for people that know they will pull the trans occasionally. (FI cars since they shred the stock transmission, track cars because track car)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

I'd expect that the polycarbonate ones come with a torque limit?

Hell, I have a difficult time believing that they would survive a cloverleaf

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
6pt > 5pt

Also, a containment seat with a harness will keep your head away from the cage, or so I tell myself every time I drive the car to the track. Visibility isn't really an issue with blind spot mirrors and some planning.

But yeah, it still isn't safe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
FIA Article 253 is the stuff you're looking for

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it goes wrong they often are going faster.

Say if you have the not unlikely senario of.... well lets pick on Cleetus McFarland..... is driving Ruby and the car snaps an axle at 1000ft, driving it hard into the wall and flipping it. The cage in that car is teched to 8.5 and it would likely collapse making the accident worse - thats going 240kph at that point.

Yeah yeah I get it, rallying and circuit is more likely to have an off and we're racing for far longer. It still doesnt make sense a rollbar/cage that makes an accident more dangerous is in any way allowed.

Cleetus seems to give zero fucks about safety. Hell, his belts are loose most of the time.

Seems like most YouTubers prioritize safety last, which kind of sucks since they are what 95% (wag) of the car people are using as some kind of beacon for builds/safety/etc. Outside of the small circle of actual hardcore track people it seems like safety is viewed as a dumb joke.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Midjack posted:

If that’s a no poo poo US legal R34 they should quit being dumb with it too.

lol, florida is flooded with 'state-legal' japanese stuff right now. they just do not care at all over there

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zeether posted:

I saw a Cefiro driving around here in CFL and my loving eyes went wide

Was it orange? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

:ughh:

Stolen from the Musk thread... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8AiSjGpsc

tl;dw They barely painted some panels.

quality.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the subject of youtubers, if anyone watches noriyaro I give you the following channels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4SuAwedzsMx57p7yfceokQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/runningfree86
https://www.youtube.com/user/juiceboxforyoudotcom

e: fixed url

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it me or does he seem stoned all the time too? His eyes are always half way open so between that and the way he talks makes him seem like a dope.

I get the feeling that like half of the successful youtubers are perpetually sleep deprived

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
While I agree with the sentiment, OEMs do have variants of tires manufactured by tire companies that have a compound / construction difference that were developed with the specific car / trim level in mind.

here is an article with some details of one case https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My S2000 is dog slow, but it has a gigantic wing, stickers / numbers from local TT/TA series, 10" wide slicks all around, and is loud so no one really bothers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

what in the gently caress

Yeah, I saw that too. Pretty fuckin weird, but I guess most pregnancy celebratory stuff is

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

taqueso posted:

Disagree, this guy could just leave it in his garage but instead they are using it.

^ this. I'm not really a fan of owning cars just to look at them or use as a status symbol, meh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gotta subsidize the creation of things like the Super Trofeo Evo and SCV12 somehow :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've seen one e36 318i that was built there, didn't have the usual german build WB VIN prefix

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Doesn't look like a bad fix, bit of quarter work and a new bumper :hmmyes:

Oh

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a further part that makes the above even more egregious, I don't know where I saw the video but the dude above and his father attacked the other driver in the pits, also.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7utq6-HC4U

Here is what happens after the above video

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A battle for 15th place where the dude throwing hands got pushed off track or something, I don't think video exists, or hasn't been uploaded anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Turns out string parsing is still a shitshow