Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cage posted:

Is it power steering fluid? Idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

I either select an album before I leave or when stopped at a light.

This is great and all but it's a lot easier to have thoughtful and interesting conversations about design when you don't implicitly assume the only possible use cases are "what I do" and "doing it wrong."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kastein posted:

Nope, looks very different and already went away.

Just wait until the worms erupt

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

track day bro! posted:

I think ratrods are also unsafe pieces of poo poo that look horrible.

I think you're an unsafe piece of poo poo that looks horrible. :colbert:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

Those people are crazy then because I am violently opposed to anything killing me at all.

Agreed. If the cars self-drive better than the dumbest fuckers on the road, that's a win.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mekilljoydammit posted:

Honestly? So far, yeah. If you do some digging, Google acknowledges that there's a hell of a lot of work to do before they can handle bad weather conditions at all, and you'll notice where they're doing their testing. Between that and seeing SAE related stuff on how hard the problem of autonomous cars is, the idea that Tesla and Uber and whatnot think they have it licked scares the hell out of me.

I'd still rather be killed by a high speed robot than some dumbass in a corolla. Makes for a better epitaph.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Bad weather, poor reception (underground), poor road markings, component failure are all huge issues before the future is now(tm).

The inability for states to enact meaningful safety inspections as is gets much worse when those safety items become sensors and cameras that a self driving car relies on.

THIS is the part that scares me. Given that there are people who can't be bothered to get their oil changed, imagine the ways people will fail to maintain robocars. It's too easy to imagine someone saying "sure one of the cameras is broken, but there are three more! What's field of view??"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here lies Blue Footed Booby, the first victim of the robot uprising of 2021

Rest in Pieces

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Pell posted:

Does that say 'Autism' on the left?

Those colorful puzzle pieces are the autism equivalent to the pink ribbons for breast cancer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Darchangel posted:

Any convenient rock quarry, or most landfills.

The trick is to put the dismembered pieces in separate boxes, and drive around a county you don't live in putting the boxes in random dumpsters.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm the cyclops car parked in the middle of the yard.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much, but now I'm imagining a 6x6 Smart with all six wheels on a long-travel suspension that lets the cabin lean through turns like a motorcycle.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dpack_1 posted:

Please tell me you have to get in through the sunroof.

Turns out that pic is a Photoshop. :(

Guess we'll all just have to buy tankettes

Edit: wait, I thought I'd found that exact photo with regular wheels, but on closer inspection there are other differences. Disappointment averted? :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 12, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Geoj posted:

Its not, but most cops would rather pull over the guy doing 10-15 MPH over the speed limit because it brings in more revenue and is easier to win in court.

The cops I've talked to say most of the time illegal mods, extreme tint, and so on are used either as a pretense to pull over somebody they want to gently caress with (eg doing something suspicious but not illegal, cop is bored, etc) or to pile tickets on somebody who copped an attitude.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sagebrush posted:

I've never once met someone who said this where it didn't translate to "I'm specifically mad that people have started calling me out for being a shithead, where they used to just keep quiet and pretend I wasn't a shithead"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Finger Prince posted:

Thing is it's not a "retro" kit, more a "contemporary" kit. Both that AZ-1 and the F40 were made in 1992.

E- not that that precludes its insanely hard ownage though.

Nah 92 is basically retro now.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

eyebeem posted:

Don’t post this loving poo poo, asshat.

I genuinely don't understand this reaction. I remember seeing casts of Pompeii victims in my elementary school history book.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr-Spain posted:

It was great for trolling people at the mall during Christmas though.

That seems like a great way to get bludgeoned to death with this year's hottest gift.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cakesmith handyman posted:

£250? What is it, runflat on a BMW?

Note the crack in the wheel.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

I half expected one of the photos to show the driver sitting unharmed on an intact seat, stuck against the start of the barrier, 400m behind the wreckage with a Wiley Coyote look on his face.

See the patches of yellow on the detached car chunk where that seatbelt attaches? I think that's foam from the seat cushions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ComfyPants posted:

I just had a terrifying idea for a Hoverboard.

It's like that wacky concept motorcycle with a viper engine: too stupid an idea to not try.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 2, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

VVV My friend took the picture. I wasn't there, but it sure look like it's coming off.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 24, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This is a soccer organization in my area. Every time I see a sticker with this emblem on a car I go :pwn:

Maybe I just have WW2 on the brain but I just don't understand why anyone would put this on their car. Though at least it's not a bullseye for vandals, unlike that VW logo.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 31, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I really don't see how have multiple discrete CAN bus systems is any good if you send them all through a central point anyway. Obviously this central gateway device would be the biggest weakness and it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to make their malicious code take precedence over everything else.

I honestly don't understand why critical systems like braking and steering aren't either designed as entirely separate entities, as in, if you absolutely need to move away from a purely mechanical steering/braking solution the computer in charge of braking/steering doesn't communicate in any way with the CAN bus. I mean, I understand the answer is cost, but it's such a huge vulnerability.

Or we can just...not connect cars to the internet? I don't see a good reason to secure cars against hacks that involve physical access to the car's electronics, whether the stereo or under the hood. At that point, anyone who wants to do me harm can just nick the brake lines. Or, y'know, just loving stab me, stuff me in the trunk, and drive to the nearest river.

I ask this non-rhetorically and non-ironically: what are we actually trying to secure against? I feel like we're discussing what pad lock to use on a screen door.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 25, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

keep watching. the front detaches into some hosed up can-am thing lmao

It gets even better. :allears:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

david_a posted:

The Wirecutter also recommends a Viair model.

I bought this one after the last free air station in my area switched to not just pay, but a pay system that only accepts coins or credit card. The card reader doesn't have an LCD, just an LED that blinks to tell you...something. I spent a minute trying to figure the thing out then gave up and ordered that compressor with my phone while still in the parking lot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Why do Americans/Canadians call the handbrake an “emergency brake”? Outside of total brake failure I can’t see many emergencies that would be helped by pulling the handbrake.

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Because languages develop organically, are ultimately completely arbitrary, and people conceptualize complete phrases as atomic linguistic elements that they never give a second thought. See: couldn't care less, all intensive purposes, or ATM machine. I'm sure there's some chain of events that led to the current situation but it's almost guaranteed as boring and academic as "why do the British call car trunks the boot?"

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Couldn’t care less is actually the correct one though

That was an autocorrect fuckup I didn't notice because I was already eleven standard drinks into the evening.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A Reliant still on the road in TYOOL 2018 is not terrible car stuff.

Is there something special about that car? It just looks like every other boring, multi-decade old sedan to me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

um excuse me posted:

AI always talk about cool manual brown wagons or personal equivalents and I'm always like "that car sucks though?". I've had people oggle stupid poo poo like a Plymouth Voyager, which I rode around in for years, and laugh at how completely wrong they are about how cool they would be to own.

I drove a Voyager from junior year of high school through graduating college. People made fun of me, but I could carry more passengers than any of my friends and had a couch for my dorm room.

Some days I miss that car. Because I have brain damage.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dissss posted:

That sounds terrible, more chance of actually having to drive people around.

Much better for someone else to own the practical car.

I've never had any trouble saying no and my friends knew it. :butt:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

I'd be more ok with that look if it had anime-like hydraulics to pop the wheels back out and down before driving anywhere. Even more so if you could go all the way to 4wd heights.

(Then again, having the sort of person that built that try their hand at hydraulics would probably be an experience for everyone involved.)

Especially random passers by when the system flings the pistons out at high speed, impaling randos like an automotive Van Hellsing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honda's EV Concept was shown at 2017's Geneva show and looked cool if slightly featureless.

Spy shots of the pre-production one have been posted and it looks nothing like it, they've ruined everything that was good about the styling. A, B, C pillars changed, 4 doors instead of two, lumpy bumpers instead of nice smooth ones, complete lack of wide arches...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/n...fR7zi9qDqZS4Fp8

Of course the A and B pillars changed. There was no way the ones on the concept could fit side airbags. But I don't understand why it lost the flares around the wells, or turned from :I to some pursed-lipped old lady. Did they think it was too aggressive? I just don't get it.

Speaking of things I don't get:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Early model is the best front, the facelift bumper looks poo poo:

Rear lights I'm unsure about, I wanted a set of the JDM ones at one point but now I'm 50/50

I'm going to be honest: I don't get Supra fans. Every version looks like a boring 80s car to me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I wasn't entirely sure what thread to put this in. I kinda like it but I'm pretty sure it's dumb as hell.

Place where I found it had a comment that said "Baja Miata sounds like a combo at Taco Bell."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TotalLossBrain posted:

And it needs a spotter car during take-off and landing. Apparently the AF is now using Teslas for this, at least in one instance I guess.

In the episode of Mythbusters where Adam got to go up in a U2 they used a Camaro. It's a goofy as hell system. It's hard to believe that's Plan A.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sagebrush posted:

gonna say it's pills

my first guess was "indecent liberties with a minor, fifteen years minimum."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elviscat posted:

Because they're federally mandated? 'Cause of the 0.2 children a year who get backed over.

More than a thousand deaths and serious injuries a year, just for the record.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean the idea "late capitalism" is a bit ridiculous anyways...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Goober Peas posted:

Sticky trashy rubbery corrugated scrotum

Sooooo the regular kind?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gotta bring all the way back to this, because I find it difficult to believe that there was another young person in the late 90s who had my van. But it's true - you know the ways of suffering like I did.

Best parts - max speed of 35 up any given hill, having to rebuild the carb 3 times, and passing out in the back after drunken high school parties. Also, the little shelf next to the console is where I bolted in a boom box after the radio died.

Mine was brown with fake woodgrain.

My Voyager was a 94 automatic. Called it the Man Van. Pretty sure I was the only minivan in the lot when I took it off to college. Some days I miss that thing. I assume this indicates brain damage.

Edit: or maybe it's the wipers with more than three settings. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Combat Theory posted:

New Bad Dragon "horsepower" line is coming along nicely I see.

What would you do if you got picked up by an Uber with, like, a rubber horse dick for a gear shift? What would you do if your date's car had one?