Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I wonder who thought cadmium coating bolts was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

InitialDave posted:

It's really not a problem unless you're grinding them. Huge numbers of the bolts we make are cad plated on the shanks or journals.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea though. I've never even heard of this phenomena til now, but I guess if it allows manufacturer's to probably save money coating a non-ideal bolt then it's going to continue even if it kills some poo poo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

So do a lot of things before they kill you. Like mercury, those little spitting dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, and women.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Tell me more...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Paul Boz_ posted:

Paiyng $3.87 for 93 octane :smug:

One benefit of living in Louisiana is that we refine a ton of petroleum and have traditionally low as hell fuel and electricity pricing.

All at the dire cost of having to live in LA though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

InitialDave posted:

not being allowed to shag until they're 18

What?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Is that the GTO equivalent with a hitch on it? Or just some other Holden?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hmm looks close enough. Not something you'd see very often on this side of the world on a car like that (if that is the V8 LS version anyway.)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Ok so just a V6 family car? I just noticed the Toyota has a hitch mount too. Is this super common in Australia?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

dissss posted:

Is that to get extra room for big tyres? If so wouldn't it be easier to buy a base model without the flares?

Anyway I think this fits the thread

Is this one just the small-ish wheels? Doesn't seem completely ridiculous if you've ever seen bro-trucks with tiny rear end stock tires.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Better hope you have plenty of time to gently caress around with a car to try an entire janitor's keyring full of keys on the car.

Pretty sure I'd go with a wedge and coathanger to get into some old van or truck and be inside in about 30 seconds max.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Thank god VW's don't have any reliability problems like that cheap rear end Honda poo poo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I said nothing about reliability. It was just slow, couldn't stop for poo poo, dented too easily and had no A/C.

Well it's not a problem anymore when transitioning into the greener pastures of VW ownership. Count yourself lucky!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

EightBit posted:

He's too busy paying the mortgage on that truck to put good tires on it :laugh:

I love seeing some of the dumbest people I've met own a King Ranch truck that probably cost them $70k. They're always clean too - they may tow a boat every now and again but god drat they've never even seen a dusty road.

It's pretty bad here in TX. Kids either have King Ranch's, farkled out F250's or they have Raptors. I feel like their parents would never buy them a $50-70k car but they don't mind shelling out that cash for a crazy expensive truck.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

I work at an auction, the worst thing ever is a blizzard on sale day. We've never missed a sale in the 14 years I've worked there. Cleaning 3 feet of snow off of 5,000 cars really sucks.

True story: When the retro Ford Thunderbird first came out, we had one running in the Ford factory sale with under 50 miles on it. The plows had come through the lanes early in the morning, so there was a three foot high snow bank in front of all the cars. My boss told me to get the Thunderbird out and bring it to the building to run in its lane, so I tried to get it out. No way in hell, it's stuck. Bad. So I hop out, say "this thing isn't moving". Boss says, "I don't care what you have to do, get it unstuck".

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ok then. Rev it up, neutral bang it in drive. Time the rock, bang it in reverse. Wheels spinning, smoke and snow going everywhere. It literally took a half hour of this, eventually with some guys pushing it.

When it rolled through the sale lane it was puking coolant, had a really bad knock, a slipping trans, and two bald tires.

Best day at work ever.

Good thing you absolutely destroyed a car just to be a loving idiot. Quality employee right there. You honestly can't work a shovel?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

lovely car or not it's not owned by him and it's a dick move to gently caress it up just for some internet e-cred. It doesn't make you look cool it makes you look like a 16 year old.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Holy gently caress. The rear isn't great but it's alright. That front end though. God drat. It'd look probably really good if it was a stock front end.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Viggen posted:

"I like that paint job", in other words?

It's not the stock rear end.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Viggen posted:

I was just trying to get you to qualify WHAT you liked; that is the least hatcheted part of the car.

List of Likes:

Nothing on the front end
Mostly all of the car behind the front door to the taillights
Long walks on the beach

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I would never wave at a scooter.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

I would wave at scooters, because gently caress the haters.

I'd wager 90% of the scooters I see are kids wearing flip flops, gym shorts and a t shirt with no helmet. Maybe the last 9% have a harley style brain bucket on with the same attire above. The last 1% are the old men on the mondo-big scooters with maybe a ragtag collection of gear.

I'd happily wave at those in at least a little bit of gear. I do the same to harley's and such, if you're going to be an idiot with no helmet and a sweet cutoff you probably won't mind me not waving back anyhow.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I rode one once. Most of the 50cc ones will barely do 45 with a tailwind. They're sketchy as gently caress too, I can't imagine hitting a bump on one of those things topped out. The fact that you don't need a license for most of them makes the owners even more of a liability in my eyes.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Why is this dumb? If you were placed into a company that was having middling sales the first business tactic would be to differentiate your product from those old poorly selling models (even if they're the same). I doubt the guy is concerned with what random internet goons think. His primary thought is "well, BMW does this kind of thing, why can't we??".

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Chickenbisket posted:

This poor poor NA Miata. This is the last car I expected to ever see with lambo doors. I really wonder if the odometer is even hooked up, the trip and overall both show all 0's. It's kind of illegal to sell it like that right?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/3487603358.html

Yellow dipstick? You plebs on here don't even understand the SPEED and CLASS that this thing has.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I guess noone remembers the mad tyte miata :-(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yellow signifies Maximum High Performance (MHP) engines, of which that Miata posted above contain.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

"This mustang will go from 0 to 241 KMH ...in 10 seconds." Who the gently caress decided KMH was the best method to report the speed here?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

They do the same thing telling them about how much rubber is on the road by saying 18 meters. I guess they're just trying to be culturally friendly while they show every loving idiot in Compton dumb enough to televise their street racing area.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Eh I'd buy that if it wasn't repeated throughout.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You know in Texas we don't really have vehicle inspections which is very convenient / cheap however idiots like this make me really wish that rule was reversed....

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

No really, when you get inspected here they get in your car, drive 10 feet and hit the brakes, honk your horn and pull it in to replace the sticker. It's a joke and takes maybe 5 minutes TOPS including registering the sticker and scraping the old one off.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

shoopeach posted:

they didnt even drive mine, just plugged in the OBD2, checked for faults and then print sticker.

CEL's don't even matter here. It's all visual.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

delpheye posted:

I must be doing something wrong. Even the Mexican used tire place that only accepts cash checks checks everything, including the license plate lights and connects to the OBD port. I had a bad fuel sending unit and didn't have the desire to drop the gas tank to replace right then and thought I could get away with clearing the code. Queue the 10 minute broken english on their part and broken spanish on my part trying to figure out why he kept telling me "no bueno."

I saw a chrome wrapped Panamera today on my way to the office. I took a pic but with the movement as the light turned green and all the reflected light it just looks like something is completing its descent from the heavens.

What is the fascination with chrome? I don't get it. It's high maintenance, causes unnecessary glare, not to mention it looks like poo poo. If it was a matter of having a functionally tough coating on metal, like in gun barrels I'd understand but it's just people trying to be flashy? or having pseudo status? Real, triple plated chrome is kind of expensive and very durable but none of what you see is actually that. My brain is powering down just typing this.

In TX? I know all counties aren't the same but here we have what are called Quicker Sticker's. You literally roll up and they get you out ASAP. I took my motorcycle there and they wouldn't even allow the employee to touch it since they didn't wanna be liable for a drop. They had me ride it the 10ft and hit the horn, turn signals, etc.

15 bucks is all it costs and you're out in less than 10 minutes unless it's crazy busy. Then you're out in 15 minutes.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I refuse to believe "locked wheel" isn't more prevalent. Layer Dan is the most common excuse I hear from every idiot with a bike who crashes.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Willfrey posted:

This truck brings up so many questions. Like, how to you intend to steer the bastard? Is the column going to have a spring too?

TX is pretty awesome for how many ridiculous trucks you see running around. I usually see either F150's with a mild lift and some blacked out rims or I see ridiculous jacked up F250/350's with a crazy lift and massive tires, smokestacks, etc. The nice thing is these are owned by rich kids so they just pay to have someone do all the work and I don't typically see janky rear end lifts. Of course the more rural you go the more sketchy poo poo you start to see, like the one shown above....

It's at the point where a totally stock F150 sticks out to me now as opposed to a lifted one with a giant rear end Browning logo on the back window and "Salt Life" stickers plastered all over the glass.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

that is the worst "watermark" or whatever I have ever seen

He just said it was to cover up his thumb being in the picture.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Does downtown Dallas really look that much like DC? :confused:

If you showed me that pic with no background info I probably wouldn't ever imagine that'd be Dallas to be fair.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

poo poo, the fact that there is water in the picture will automatically remove TX from a list of possibilities for most people I'd imagine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Try telling that to anyone outside of TX. Everyone pretty much imagines this place looks like Big Bend across the entire state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

EightBit posted:

Houston and the area east of it are properly swampy too humid as gently caress and miserable as hell to be around.

I agree.

Is there something seriously wrong with me for thinking that black mustang with fenders looks incredibly sexy? I'd drive the hell out of that thing.