Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Saw this fine piece of art this AM. The front looked even worse.

hey, at least he painted it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

found this by reverse image searching
http://tinyurl.com/dxmctcy

it's a Russian forum where it's mentioned that it's handbuilt on a Niva chassis (maybe not the same as a Lada Niva?), but from what frankensteined parts I don't know.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

That must go really fast in reverse for those flame stripes there.

maybe there's a tiny little dragon at the back breathing them out

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

:wtc: You've got to be making GBS threads me.

basically some Nissan engineers made this skunkworks Juke for a lark, people thought it was cool, Nissan said it never happened and never will happen, then some Arab zillionaire told Nissan he wanted 2 and he'd pay whatever they wanted, so Nissan said "umm... 2... million?" and he reached in his spare change purse and gave it to them, and then Nissan figured what the hell, we might as well make a few more because there's bound to be more than one rich idiot out there.

At least that's how I understand the chain of events.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I found it easier to accept the "face" of the Juke if you treat the top lights as angry eyebrows and the round lights as its eyes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

he needs to update it by adding 20 degrees of camber

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I was out (drunk as gently caress) with a bunch of friends in Old Town Scottsdale last weekend and there was a Karma rolling through. One of my chick friends has to run over and knock on his window because "JUSTIN BEIBER! HE DRIVES A KARMA, IT MUST BE HIM!". :lol:

Aww man, I just got this thing detailed and now it's all covered in pussy shrapnel.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pilsner posted:

It's ugly, but a decent argument for a trike is if you like the motorcycle feel, but are somehow too handicappedgrossly obese to ride one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nathan Explosion posted:

I saw this terrible riced out Civic today. To give him credit the bad body kit is painted and there are two fart cans to fill the bumper cutouts.

The steelies kinda suck but what baffles me is the mirrored gold civic and ex badges. Is he going for the M1 look? Did he find an extra set of badges cheap and threw them on there just for kicks? Is he profoundly stupid? We may never know.

That's not even close to riced out. Dual grapefruit launchers aside, it looks like a dealer option spoiler and skirts package. Hell, he even mirrored th EX badge, he didn't even try to pretend it was a type-R!
It is still terrible though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Saw this today. I think it belongs here.

I always knew used car prices were inflated in California, but this is ridiculous.

maybe it's meant to read '88 4 $988??

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yeah, he was even considerate enough to leave space to park a motorcycle beside him.
Also, gently caress that's ugly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

anonumos posted:

I agree. Donking a modern Comaro is just how its supposed to be done. With the bloated beltline and everything, big tires just make it look better. It's one of a handful of cars that just seemed made for it. (What I'm trying to say is that the new models look like Matchbox toys. To me, the proportions are wrong to begin with.)

Dear Penthouse, I never thought it could happen to me, but I think that sunburst orange one actually looks good! (even if it is a 20 footer)
:gonk:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

A-loving-men. I'll slap on some gloves (I wear them anyway when working on my Jeep) and wrench all day in the cold (as experienced by South Texas, 60F).

Texas cold sounds like English summer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

all the talk of gold Veyrons in the other thread had me distracted when a chrome Maybach drove past me today and I didn't have a chance to get a photo.
Specifically, this chrome Maybach,

owned by Theo Paphitis of Dragon's Den fame. Actually it's probably more accurately owned by a holding company registered in Switzerland guarded by a level 20 Tax Accountant wielding a Scroll of Protection from Inland Revenue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AA chat:
I was just talking to my dad about bikes and whatnot and he told me to join the RAC because they look out for bikers and always have, whereas the AA don't want to know you if you're on a bike. Which, from what you guys have just said, seems is still the case. It's a little ironic though, because the AA have fleets of motorcycles but I've never seen an RAC bike.

And I know you're talking about the AAA, but gently caress RV add-ons for bike coverage. It isn't a recreational vehicle, it's my only goddamn vehicle!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

I don't get the ring sticker hate. Do people really think you need to have driven on a race track half the world away in order to put a sticker on what is probably one of the most iconic roads in the world on your bumper? Am I a poser if I have a NHRA sticker but don't drag race?

would you put a Whistler sticker on your car because you heard it's really good skiing/boarding out there? Or one of those Spanish bull stickers because Spain seems like a pretty cool country?
Car stickers like that are like personal advertisements you put on display to say "I have been to this place" or "I use this product". Putting them on when you haven't been to a place or don't use a product is like false advertising.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

My old roommate who ran marathons talked to people with that sticker all the time. :shrug:

is that what that referred to? I thought it was inches of wheel diameter or inches of suspension lift or something.
I think I'd rather strike a conversation with someone sporting a "meat is murder" sticker. Those runner types are weird.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

This is terrible, happened to a friend.

Who steals stock wheels in a middle class suburb?

middle class teenagers?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

Ford is notorious for this.

Ranger and Explorer were pickup truck trim levels in the 70s.

There used to be a Ghia trim level at Ford UK that was the deluxe model, so you had Focus Ghia (and maybe others? thinking about it I think I've only seen Focus Ghias) 1.6 or 1.whatever diesel which allowed you to differentiate trim level from engine spec. I can see this not being necessary in North America where the top trim level always has the biggest engine and vice-versa.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

quite nice at first glance, not terrible at all...

on closer inspection though,

he probably shouldn't park so close to the curb I guess.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

except it's brushed aluminum look plastic, to go with the "leather" texture vinyl wrap on the outside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Aurune posted:

Crap, this guy has money and lovely taste.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

While the sale of Cayennes and Panameras certainly adds to their war chest, I think they're more likely to use that money on leveraged buy-outs and other business type things than subsidizing sports cars. I can't imagine they're selling 911's at a loss, even before a buyer ticks all the ludicrously priced option boxes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tindjin posted:

Drove by this a while ago and couldn't figure out what the hell it could be used for. It's in Albuquerque, NM in the middle of s desert if location helps at all. Click for huge.

storm chasing/illegal immigrant spotting?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

stickers are making a comeback, you can order this on your new f-150.

http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com/f150.php

edit: pretty much everything in there is hilariously 80s.

If only they had a blood splatter decal for the grille and hood.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It relates to the interior comments, but I've never understood why companies building higher-end cars settle for parts bin switchgear etc. Give me a sportscar that costs £60k and has Ford Fiesta stalks and heater knobs, and the question for me is why I can't have them in machined aluminium and have it cost £61k. Even in smaller quantities, CNCing up bits like that isn't that expensive. You can buy quite nice fittings like that off the shelf anyway, there's no need for something that shouts to you about where they cut the costs right in front of your face every time you drive the car.

I agree, especially when the bits that aren't a cheap-to-produce bit of turned metal or whatever, like the microswitches that the stalks attach to, and the little motors and that drive the flaps in the HVAC system, the pcb that the posh feeling knobs or buttons or what have you actually act on can be exactly the same as in a Polo and basically every other model in your lineup. On the other hand, when you do get a company that pays more attention to the facade than what's behind it, you end up with a TVR... Very cool and unique and sexy and also broken down on the side of the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I like to think he was driving behind a truck carrying loads of pickaxes, and they started falling off the back of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tkNukem posted:

Obama's inauguration brought all sorts of characters to the District. This case stood out pretty well in Georgetown...

what, people riding in a pickup bed?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

:911:

Was being driven by some 80 year old man. Not sure how he gets away with the red emergency flashers either.

my first guess would be volunteer fire department.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Voltage posted:

Much, much worse.
I had to detail one, it was staggeringly terrible in every possible respect. Pretty much all Chryslers of that era were of similar "quality".

5th gear just did a review of the new 300c (which is a £35-40k car in the UK, and that is 530/A6 S-line/E-class AMG sport money) and they were highly critical of the the quality of the interior, considering the price. So while the interiors are vastly improved overall, they're still not doing the "cheap American interiors" reputation any favours.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chrysler's new skunkworks project

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't get it, does she just gently caress the air with it or something? Shaking and thrusting with a rubber dong just flapping around on her pubis while she goes "vroom vroooooom"?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

With hand positioning like that, he deserves to die from massive death wobble.

I don't drive much, but when I do, half-mom all the way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Canadians often use feet / inches in my experience, also. Fahrenheit too, for ovens at least. Most of my experience is in B.C. though, could be different elsewhere.
edit: Look at the squishy Audi. D'oh.

Yeah the Canadian system is a bit odd. Officially metric, and anything big, small, or precise will be in metric, but it's colloquially imperial for roughly human-scale measures. The fahrenheit for ovens is a completely bizarre one though, because while I think water freezes at 32F, I have no idea what it boils at, and most Canadians have no idea what farenheit actually represents outside of vague stuff like 100 being when Americans start complaining it's hot out, and yet we cook our food using it and measure swimming pool temperature in it.
The UK is bizarro world too, because everything is metric except distance which is miles, and weight is some weird archaic thing called a stone.
When it comes to fuel economy, it's miles to the gallon, but you pump your gas in liters and nobody knows how many liters are in a gallon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Aurune posted:

Not sure where this goes or what the heck this is. Found this looking at a random stretch of 80.

It looks like a Chevy with a mushroom on it's roof.

Google car with a cover over the camera?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I actually pulled up next to an Abarth last week. Sounded like a riced out Civic. I was surprised to see that it did not have any sort of hill assist either.

The lambo doors would make sense on a 500 if you were wedging it into parallel parking spots perpendicular to the road :)

What's hill assist? I'm assuming you aren't talking about a low range gearbox...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

Except most of those temperature "gauges" ar nothing more than 3-position idiot lights: cold, somewhere between almost warm to nearly melting, and "too loving late".

I've seen very few non-enthusiast cars with real gauges and I've been told this is because seeing gauges that aren't always in the same place and/or aren't dampened to uselessness causes the average driver to freak out. And this is why we can't have nice things.

To be fair, on most cars all you need out of your temp gauge is "cold", "thermostat operating", and "crank the heater to max and roll down the windows".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This is not terrible. If it's actually metal, that's some brilliant forming. Putting some appropriate wheels on it would help a lot. I love it in a retro-futuristic way, and I desperately want to believe that the driver compartment roof can lower to a sliver of a window, or close completely for protection.

There's no way any of that outside of maybe the wheels is made of metal. Especially if it's a movie prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

And a bonus!

These were taken while I was the Vancouver International Auto Show last month in the modded section. It's the same car too.

my only complaint is that there aren't enough Swarovski crystals in it. If you're gonna go glam, you might as well go the full Liberace.