Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

One more for Mechanical Failures. Where else does nuclear disaster chat go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You're the best mod; I wish you were my daddy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I can't believe anyone would do this throw so much of their money away at this, but then again, there was that custom convertible STi sedan...

...that, last I heard, was still sitting in the dealer's showroom priced at $80K.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

It's crazy because I've had people honestly try to tell me that the price of gas is the same as ever once you adjust for inflation. This is total horse poo poo, I don't know where people come up with this stuff. I distinctly remember getting gas for $1.12 per gallon in 2002 and that comes out to about $1.40 today. Right when the war in Iraq started in 2003 I distinctly remember being mortified at $1.43 per gallon (which was the highest I had ever seen) and that comes out to about $1.75 today.

Really only recently (in the 2000s) has the price of gas in the US risen significantly faster than inflation. In fact, we can draw a strong correlation between Wars on Terror™ and high gas prices.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

dissss posted:

Note the bonus lawnmower

I once moved a Christmas Tree on my Jeep like that. three blocks

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Unless he has a microcontroller in there that adds his speed to the perceived speed of the radar gun.

Edit: Either way, I would treat that as a game and try to get the highest score without killing myself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

All the ones I have seen tell me to SLOW even when I'm going exactly the speed limit.

That's because the limit is slow. Speed up, broheim!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

assfucker420 posted:

To be fair most men don't have any idea what those mean either.

The only time I've been in a car that just gave up the ghost on the highway was when my friend ignored his oil light for a few months and his engine seized with his dipstick dry as a bone. Most women I know might not know what the various lights mean, but at least they say, "Ugh, I guess I gotta go fix it," as opposed to ignoring the problem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There should be a service called "My Friend Who's Good With Cars," where, for like $20 a month, a car-knowledgeable person will come by once a quarter and take 'er for a spin, perform a basic inspection, provide recommendations and note the mileage. They'll call you up and remind you about oil changes, and you can call them up and ask even the most retarded car-related question and receive an honest answer with no judgement.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Devyl posted:

Also notice the impressive lack of tread on the front tires.

They're slicks. HOW IS HE GOING TO RUN 9'S WITHOUT SLICKS?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Blue L-Block posted:

I was going to take a picture of this ridiculous Beetle I saw last Friday. Big metal spoiler, flame decals, and dollar signs painted all over the windows. I shudder to think it was actually for sale. Unfortunately, I got distracted because I spent some time extricating this nice surprise someone left me in my driver's side door lock.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try to steal my car (95 Accord) :(

Could it be that some dude thought your Accord was his Accord and snapped his key in your lock before realizing, "Wait, this isn't my car."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I wonder if I could do this with my Honda Fit! :getin:

I love the logic here.

"So new rollover standards say that a car should be able to withstand 1.5 times its weight on its roof? Good, we'll shoot for just a skoch under that."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fermunky posted:

Not a single "wrong thread" comment? I so want one of these right the hell now.

kastein posted:

I got really confused for a second because a lot of the things from the last two pages simply don't belong in this thread.

Astroman posted:

This looks like something I'd be toodling around a post apocalyptic landscape in, going from one dystopian city to another, destroying evil computers and having wacky adventures while wearing polyester jumpsuits. :allears:

88h88 posted:

I too just wanted to declare my love for that van... :swoon:

Code Jockey posted:

Oh my god I want this so much it hurts

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My God. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :stare:

I think it's been covered.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rorac posted:

:arghfist::bang: gently caress you, Mustang-haver. I hope you wrap that car around a tree.

Whenever I wish this on another driver, I always feel guilty and scale it back to "I hope you get a hell of a door ding from a shopping cart."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Sometimes having 19" 235/35 series tires scare me. I can't even imagine driving on a tire with literally less than an inch of sidewall.

That's like 1.3 inches of sidewall, though, isn't it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's half the reason God gave teenagers lovely, 20 year old station wagons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not exactly a Mechanical Failure, not exactly a Cycle Picture. Not all that exciting, but pretty weird, a pretty bad idea, and I'd never seen it before.

Homemade motorcycle tire retread. At least that's what I think it is. The carcass of the tire was thin as hell, more pliable than a Pilot Power.

Do you think maybe they're race takeoffs that he carved treads into to make them less insane in the wet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I watched a guy start an F250 from outside the truck by reaching in and pushing the clutch with his hand. He didn't know it was in reverse, it jumped backwards, knocked him down, and the left front wheel caught his leg and wrapped him up. It started doing reverse donuts while dragging him and ripping apart his leg.

They finally stopped it and he got LifeFlighted out, but he ended up dying. :(

Damage to a car is the least of our worries.

Yikes. Was something holding the throttle open, or was it doing this at idle?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

grumplestiltzkin posted:

2) why havent I cleaned my windows

The thumbnail makes it look like it's raining really hard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I don't think British car guys should be lumped in with the others. Spend enough time in a parking lot with your bonnet up, and you're going to learn to keep a folding chair with you for next time.

That's why I kept a folding chair and a book in my Jeep.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

is that what that referred to? I thought it was inches of wheel diameter or inches of suspension lift or something.

A marathon is 26.2 miles. A half-marathon is 13.1.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't visit Asheville NC then. The standard vehicle you will encounter there is a Subaru wagon with the entire rear end of the car covered by stickers, at least one of which must be a "coexist" or "critical thinking: the real national deficit" sticker.

KEEP ASHVILLE WEIRD

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The doors are really throwing me for a loop. They're a mile wide and obviously heavily modified... and yet the NA Miata doorhandles remain :psypop:

Why mess with perfection?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think there comes a point when the Chevy bro should have realized he was just going to go for a ride, and popped it into neutral.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

And what the gently caress was up with the window control placement? Dead center on the dash in between the two center vents. Not on the console, center of the loving dash where it was guaranteed to be the most incontinent thing in the car or either the passenger or the drive to reach short of putting the passenger control in the driver door and vice-versa.

Don't Minis have their window controls in the same place?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

That car is probably faster and better handling than a real Countach. Just look at it:

Why are there tennis balls in the velocity stacks?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I guess he only booked the lathe for like 5 minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Is there any truth to the rumor that red/yellow/brightly-colored cars are more expensive to insure?

They're more likely to be ticketed for a given infraction. On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain my insurer doesn't know what color my car is (i.e. they never asked).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There were "DARE Days" at the school where everyone would wear their shirts and I was the only one without one.

Did you go to school in an alternate universe where every teenage ever wouldn't immediately say, "gently caress this poo poo," to wearing a DARE t-shirt?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If someone were to thermite that truck, it would be justifiable autocide.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Either a really nice sleeper, or I doubt it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sinestro posted:

Actually, if it is the one with the 3.6 V6, then it is more than possible. http://www.capa.com.au/kits_holden_ve_v6.htm

With the single eeny weeny exhaust? Like I said, either a very very clean sleeper or a funny license plate coincidence.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Can-Ams are OK if the rider is actually handicapped. Not everyone has the time/money to build a wheelchair-ready sidecar hack for a Ducati Monster.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

No doubt, there is a Murano convertible at one of the places I work at and I never thought I would see one in person.

The Murano Crosscab is so close but still so far from being good. I'd love to see a convertible small SUV with actual offroad chops, like the Bronco or the Scout.

(Yes, I love the Wrangler dearly, but I'd love to see some competition in that field.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I want to know who looks at that and thinks "Job well done"

The guy who got the commission selling duct tape to idiots.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

While looking for prices, i found something truly terrible.

http://www.chevrolet.com/captiva-sport-crossover.html

It's SO ugly.

I rented one for a business trip to Charlotte. It's about as fun and interesting to drive as you'd imagine, but it takes curbs like a champ (when its turning radius proves lacking).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nubile Hillock posted:

Just noticed the padlock by the sway bar bushing. What the gently caress.

Also what the hell is going on with the tie rod crown nut? Shouldn't there be a cotter pin? It looks like there's a nail driven through a groove in the bolt. Is that a thing, do they make bolts like that?

It kinda looks like what a cotter pin would look like if photographed head on and not bent back like it should be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Carteret posted:

Because the guy doesn't know how to properly use a cotter pin. there's a hole through the bolt, locking it in the crown nut. You are supposed to put the entire pin through the hole, but this guy only put one of the legs through with the other leg over the top of the nut. As installed, that bitch could just wiggle out. The suspension won't last long enough for that to happen.

Oh yeah. I don't know why my explanation made sense in my head, but you're right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Well he replaced the wheels, he couldn't keep the original wheel rims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

The post on Reddit (I'll admit it) says it came into the shop for a clogged fuel filter, and the fuel filter was honest-to-god clogged with Bondo. And also that it is not a joke car, but the guy driving it is absolutely serious. Must be schizophrenic or something.

Bondukkake.

Or, like, there's another similar car out there, and when they get together it's bondo-swap.avi.