Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah I dunno man. People are loving weird.

You get 1 guess what the vanity plate is.

TUTSTANG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This one's better.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Not in hospital pistachio green color, and not if anyone ever wants to remove it. 10 hours to dip and 25,000 to remove all the little bits that didn't peel off properly.

It's not all that bad. I found that WD-40 softens it really well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

4s and Xs are both fairly symmetrical in ways you wouldn't think of normally. Those are just turned 90 degrees clockwise.

My jaw literally dropped when I understood what you mean.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It sucks because their goals are definitely not aligned, but I can't help but laugh at the dude because $89K is Not A Lot for someone working at a Big 4.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh my bad, I missed that.

In that case, I can't help but laugh at the lady because $89k is Not A Lot for someone working at a Big 4.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bought a very old motorcycle from a friend in college and proceeded to slam it into the back of a Maxima three months later. Surprisingly, he never gave me any poo poo for it and let me borrow a different very old motorcycle for a group ride later that year.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Legally, I assume both trailers need to be licensed?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You actually want one of these for creating a creek

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I will shamefully admit I like the front end but how does it turn and how does it survive bumps in the road

I hope it's something like this:

kimbo305 posted:

Tuned up the front brake to my liking, which is near zero pad gap. Had to true the wheel a bit in a couple spots. Vector wings in action:
https://i.imgur.com/bpZZgdE.mp4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I assumed this was just going to be a link to kastein's thread.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're good at wrangling carts at the Winn Dixie, never do it for free.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

He just forgot the grinder and paint.

If you grind away all the boogers, there'd be no weld left!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Humphreys posted:

On illegal things:
I've had a number of people lately ask me to print guns with my 3D Printers. Thats a fucken HUGE no no here. Even having the files can carry a sentence I believe. Regardless of the legalities, I don't trust printing parts that will be under pressure for my Gel Blasters let alone something that can and will blow my hand to pieces upon failure. If they are so serious about having something massively illegal, just go to Bunnings and get some steel pipes and a nail ya numpties.

I'm morbidly curious about these. I know they're super dangerous to use, but I also want to mount one in a vise and test it to failure (somewhere between 2 and 10 shots, from what I've heard). In the US, I understand they're legal to print and own (local laws notwithstanding) so long as you epoxy enough steel in the receiver that it would set off a magnetometer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Lets see this ad.

:emptyquote:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wringing the neck of a tiny Italian motor is exactly what it was designed for.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think the general rule in the US is that you always park on the right unless it's a one-way street. I know in the UK (and probably most of Europe), it's a free-for-all, just jam your car wherever there's a spot.

I've never experienced one of those reverse-angled spots, but I think they'd be a hoot. I've seen some videos of drivers struggling with them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Everybody get an e-bike. Check out this thread for e-bike guidance! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074

I'd worry an electric hunting bike would be super heavy because it has two motors, and its range would suffer. It'd probably be interesting to ride though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sometimes, the AC controls

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Turns out that digital processing and displays are waaaaaaaay more reliable and cheaper to maintain over the long term than analog instruments.

Nothing will beat the reliability and longevity of engine driven vacuum pumps. Just don't forget to rebuild them every 200 hours

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BMW saw the Honda Crosstour and decided to make it expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I admit I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the BMW

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nope he only stopped posting in AI after he got caught evading when he had TWO permabanned alts.... one alt was permaed due to a SAMart scam and the other was iibbmm who was permaed so long ago the exact reason is lost but its still one of the top 100 ignored users even after 13 years.

Eyebeems latest alt got busted in TGO only a week ago

Did something happen over the weekend in TGO while I wasn't paying attention? Which thread?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

It's funny to laugh at americans not knowing how to drive a roundabout but the real failure here is opening up a roundabout in an area that has none and then deciding it's a great idea to let cars drive on it before any marking or signage is even laid down.

Genuinely fire that civic planner because how do you gently caress up your job that bad.

From what I read, there is a ton of signage and markings they just hadn't gotten around to finishing. It's bizarre that they'd open it up without at least temporary signage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

$5k in upgrades + $1k in downgrades

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Self described communists having a patreon is never not hilarious.

"And yet you participate in society! Curious!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coupedeville posted:

This is an 1986 coupe deville that I got at auction for the low low price of 505 american funbux. It was owned by an elderly gentleman and his wife drove the vehicle until she passed away. It sat in a garage until the man passed away. His daughter attempted to sell the car two years ago after he passed away but she was asking almost 4200$ for a vehicle that wasn't running from sitting and only broke brain dummies like me would actually be interested in. The estate just recently went to auction and I was the unfortunate high bidder. The vehicle is dead and it has the digital dash so I don't know the exact mileage yet but the last oil sticker says 154k in 2007 and the DOT codes on the tires are from late 2006 so this vehicle could very well have been sitting for up to 13 years. This is what my auto tech training picked up as well as chatting up the next door neighbor and also the very limited amount of information I gleaned from the auction manager when I was waiting for the tow truck to show up. Either way I'm sure that the air struts were rotted out well before I got here, as the 86 coupe deville I had in high school had cracked air strut bellows before I even owned it in the mid to late aughts.

(Yes, you read that right. I had one of these awful cars in high school and didn't learn my lesson back then, so here we go again.)

Did you change your username for this car, or are you just repping Coupe de Villes for life?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coupedeville posted:

My username is based off of my high school coupe that I had! My coupe was red with a red vinyl top and red velour interior. For a teenager in the midwest it was pretty sweet and made for an awesome rolling cannabis parlour. So that's why my online handle has always been coupedeville. I love 80s shitbox cadillacs. My dream garage would have an 86 coupe deville, a bustleback seville and a fleetwood brougham because my brain is profoundly broken with regards to automotive passion.

I dig it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coupedeville posted:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not apologizing for my passion for weird cadillacs but rather lamenting the fact that I couldn't like something normal like mustangs or miatas every car featured in the first two Fast and Furious movies like the rest of you guys.

fixed this for myself

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I wonder if the VW system is relying on radar, and if an inflatable doll's radar return is very different from a human's.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So lidar struggles to see objects and it's being fitted to cars as a safety device because? I'd rather my lidar system err on the side of caution than crash into something due to the driver missing it, loving hell.

The terrible car stuff is coming from inside the thread!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Forgive me for expecting a certain standard of safety from cars touted as safe.

I'm terribly sorry the VW won't stop for an inflated plastic bag.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean on a couple of occasions there was a human stood next to the inflatable until the last second.

I'm kinda curious about this too, but I suspect the difference comes down to flawed testing methodology.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Blow up dolls....?!?!.

Okay I seriously need to go back and read again and not skim the thread because now I think someone is testing blow up dolls and I have questions

No, you understand perfectly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXStTXmrYw

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

No such thing as a perfectly good Ninja. I think they come with salvage titles right out of the factory.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the speedo in my Subaru generally agrees within 1 mph or so with Waze and the GPS in my radar detector.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I haven't seen them on the Interstate. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? There are definitely speed cameras all over cities.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My city has this electric scooter rental company. I noticed this one was an accident waiting to happen

I tweeted it to them, and they said they were going to send someone to fix it. I wonder how long the rear brake has been just along for the ride

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. All CVT's are complete garbage that should never have been put into cars

I'm honestly not minding the CVT in my Subaru. Granted I'm not trying to do motorsports with my dadwagon, but it feels fine day to day. We'll see how it is on the longevity front.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That part of Chicago taught me patience while driving. Traffic happens. I am in it. I cannot change this situation. I can only listen to Wait Wait on WBEZ and perservere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Never really understood why they had A and B. Just make the cord A on both ends...

A is for the host, B is for the device. USB was purposefully designed so you couldn't just buy an A to A and plug one computer into the other. That's why printers always have those chunky Type B connectors.

USB-C built in some auto-negotiating smarts, but you run into weird situations where, e.g., your phone might try to charge your laptop if the phone thinks it should be the host.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2022