Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

veedubfreak posted:

Who cares about blind spots. No one looks when changing lanes anyway. Some fuckstick cut me off yesterday on the way to work without even checking my lane. But it's my fault for driving a gray car I guess.

Every time this happens to me I wish I drove a beater do that they could hit may car and I wouldn't car about it, but it would still be their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

bisticles posted:

I suppose this is auto-related enough to post here. They paved the parking lot here the other day and... someone didn't get the memo.

Looks like some contractor was too lazy to call a tow truck, and will likely be dinged for not completing the job according to the contract. My work just had one of the lots repaved and ended up towing 3 vehicles.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Is that a 2x4 that supposed to be reinforcing the rail?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

einTier posted:

Well, that's one way to do smoked headlights.

Lemme guess, some cheap HID kit shorted out damaging the light casing, the bumper, and half the wiring harness?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

PromethiumX posted:

exactly.

and they couldn't even be bothered to put up some newspaper and tape to get JUST the headlight. piss poor.

Darn. I was hoping for some lovely HID justice.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Godholio posted:

I'm curious how many people are going to specifically buy a non-silver car next time after reading this thread.

Me, although I never really liked silver in the first place so I'm not sure that counts...

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

tobu posted:

Some 'p' platers pulled up beside me in their RX8 and pointed repeatedly at their 'FOURDOORS4WHORES' sticker.

I don't know what they were trying to tell me. I mean they have four doors too right? :confused:

Whats a 'p' plate?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

JaysonAych posted:

"Okay, here's one of the cars we're going to run in the next Death Race movie."
"Jesus, there's way too much gaudy poo poo on that car, tone that down."

I was thinking transformers but death race works

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

JP Money posted:

A tach is pretty useless in econoboxes really. Who cares?

I'd kinda like to know I'm not overrevving it before its warm?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

JP Money posted:

You need a tach to tell you to keep your foot out of it on an old corolla? It's not hard to drive it easy until it heats up. It's not like you're going to be hitting the rev limiter in every gear on an economy car.

I happen to live 3 blocks from a highway, which I use to commute to work. The "on ramp" lane is fairly short, so you actually have to use a fair amount of acceleration to make the transition from 25 to 65 before merging. On cold mornings, the temp gauge usually hasn't started moving before I attempt to merge. I'm also of the opinion that you should warm up the engine as fast as possible, instead of letting it sit and idle for an hour.

But ya know, clearly you know everything and if you don't need it, then no one else in the world could possible have a use for it.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Where's the "not until warm" mark on a tach?

Generally about 3k, at least that's what every owners manual I've seen mentions. Your vehicle might be different.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Boulder Police?

Boulder, CO? I doubt it. The cop plate and the others don't look like any CO plate I've seen...

Also, too many trees

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

G-Mach posted:

As someone from Wisconsin it looks like a truck from Wisconsin and the Wisconsin accent is awesome. Jah der hey! My family still speaks german so my wisconsin accent is pretty thick.

http://www.folklib.net/history/scansin.shtml

Yep, most of those are familiar having grown up in the Milwaukee area. The list seems to be missing a few choice terms a Pole might say, but maybe the list is trying to be PG-13

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

SocketSeven posted:

The glory of a custom built rotary engine that is about as large as materials science allows.

There is a 6 rotor RX-4 running in New Zealand...

Geirskogul posted:

Boost goes in, apex seals come out.

Seriously? Its not even boosted...

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

An old coworker/desert racing bro posted this gem on FB last night regarding his lifted Toyota Tacoma.

:catstare:

Sounds like hes on borrowed time. Ask him if you can get in on his will

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Cakefool posted:

:allears:

Of course.

Who/which thread do I go to for basic paint touch-up advice? I've got a silver bmw with a couple of rust spots I want to stop in their tracks, but they're on visible parts of the car.

detailing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

General_Failure posted:

So no-one else is bothered by the rear bulkhead being totally cut out to make room for the deathcage? Unless the body is designed way differently to the way I think it is it's probably as floppy as a wet noodle.

too much fail going on with the actual cage for anyone to notice the little things :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Team140 posted:

When did the art of negotiating fall into the sewers and disappear? I've had no less than 4 people call, text or email me about a car I have for sale and all of them basically resulted in this:

(Car is advertised for $3800)
Them: The price firm?
Me: Fairly. There's a little wiggle room with it.
Them: What would it take to come tow it off cash?
Me: What's your offer?
Them: Ur car just let me know.
Me: Well that's not how negotiations work. My asking price is listed at $3800. Your job is to counter offer.

(That's the actual conversation I just had via text a few minutes ago)

I learned how to negotiate a long time ago as a kid. I would be an idiot to throw out another number as it just gives them a lower number to counter against. Either they're smart enough to try and trip me up on that or they're dumb enough that they'd drop cash on whatever number I told them.

Sigh. I miss serious negotiating. Now it's like negotiating with elementary school kids.

Yep, just had one of those on a car listed for $5000 OBO.

Them: Still available?
Me: Yes.
Them: How low would you go on price?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

There's no snow in the forecast. :psyduck:

If its anything like around me, they got a small sprinkling that would have gone away in a day, but panicked and dumped a ton of salt on it as if they expected a blizzard.

There are a couple intersections around me that look like that, only its brown because they usually prefer sand over salt.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Root Bear posted:

It's still terrible isn't it? :colbert:

Here's something that isn't a photoshop. I'm not sure what it was, but I do know what it isn't:

The wheels remind me of the stock FRS ones.....

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Came here to post this. You'd think for a state that has snow 4-5 months out of the year people would be used to the driving conditions. I can understand if somebody was stuck in their car and needed help to get out, but at some parts in the video it looks like the drivers are just standing around. :stonk: Good on the truck driver to stop and not try to weave through there.

Just on my ~2mi drive to work this morning I saw police responding to 3 different accidents.

Just think how bad it is in a state that rarely has snow. :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ironblock posted:

As an FD owner, gently caress what they did to the rear hatch. You have little enough visibility as it is.

If you are the fastest thing on the road, then what is behind you is not important. I can't get over the taillights though....

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right you are. For some reason I thought the RX-7 lost its pop-ups at the same time as the MX-5, but the RX-7 didn't have to because they didn't distribute it in markets that banned pop-ups by the time that change was necessary.

Popups are not banned. Its extremely difficult to make them pass current pedestrian impact safety regulations. Also they are no longer necessary to get around headlight height regulations, which means manufacturers can ditch them for something that is cheaper, simpler, and more reliable.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

for once its not a Fiero

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I looked up the specs on this hunk of poo poo just out of boredom. It has 173hp at 6000rpm and 166lb/ft at 4000rpm. It's no wonder this thing feels slow as poo poo.

Before or after altitude correction? :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The rare and elusive FDPreludeVette

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Crikey, speed limit 5? I didn't know you could get a sign labeled that low. Thats slower than a parking lot....

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Wow, the visible damage difference between the two is stunning. The Dart damage looks like it'll just buff out compared to the demolished Ferrari....

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

The Dart isn't built out of kevlar and fibreglass.

I was expecting a bit more the crash structure on the Dart to be impacted though

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Wisco plates for lyfe!

EDIT: Whoa! Fixed

Don't change what ain't broke

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I wish I got a pic of this as I don't think my description will be quite as good.

I ended up passing a tarted up 350z on the highway yesterday. Looked like a wide body kit, a big "wing" (I'm pretty sure it wasn't functional in any way), flat black paint, illegally dark tint, "batmobile" in autozone stick on letters below the "wing", and a chrome batman icon (looked like the batarang from the latest movies) replacing the Nissan badge on the front bumper. Clearly it attracts attention from police because it was in the right lane doing 5 under where everyone typically drives the middle lane doing 10 over.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Probably too low for AAA

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Well, I'm assuming it doesn't have special lifting procedures like a lotus elise, so I really dunno.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Why is there still no one offering a diesel/electric hybrid in the US yet? Cost?

The stock answer is probably diesel emissions requirements in the US.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Terrible car stuff: my friend bought a used RX8 despite my advice not to. The engine exploded the other day. Mechanic says head gasket blew and it needs a new engine at about $5000. The car falls under the 8 year/100k mi extended engine warranty Mazda offers on RX8s. It's a 2007, currently at about 80k miles. The explanation is:

Know anyone with their RX8 engine replaced under warranty? The dealer it was towed to is telling me that it is meant for compression prone engine problems and may not cover it.

I've had it done. What do you want to know?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Better get to it, we're well into the 2015 model year, so a 2007 is 8 years old.

The warranty depends on the original service date (when the car was first sold). My '06 would still be covered, if it didn't already have more than 100k miles. Best way to find out is to have a dealership run the service history by VIN, which will result in a one or two page printout with all the active and expired warranty details.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Bloody hell, I thought that was a gear until I read the description. Are those even car/truck tires? I would have guessed for a forklift....

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Did the shocks on my daily over the weekend. The rear shock is pretty terrible in my experience

See that big bracket in the middle of the shock? The brake line goes through that. Notice how there is no slot in that bracket? Yep, gotta open up the brake lines to replace the shock. Why do I have to drain and flush the brake system to change the shocks?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

Is this a Suabru? When I did mine I just cut a slot in the bracket. Dumbass design on their part when they could have just used a slot in the first place.

'97 Toyota Corolla. I cut a slot in the new shocks.