Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MadScientistWorking posted:

You actually are right there are multiple forms of corrosion. Though why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to join steel parts with aluminum.

Ask Oberon Performance about their motorcycle bar end mirrors. They were smart enough to join together an aluminum arm and a brass pivot for the mirror with a stainless bolt, screwed directly into the aluminum.

In theory, the corrosion worked for them, as a kind of ghetto super-powered loc-tite. Not so good when you need to tighten the bolt because the mirror is slightly loose and vibrates like hell when you're riding.

At least I got a free replacement mirror from the dealer who sold me the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hello Spaceman posted:

Uh you might wanna have your hat checked, buddy.

Mercury itself isn't really that bad. It's methylmercury and dimethylmercury you need to worry about.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

What exactly goes through the minds of people who do this? It's obviously for show, but even when well done exactly what percentage of the population are you going to "impress" with your mis-badging from an obscure (in your part of the world) vehicle? Maybe 1%? Because 98% don't know what the hell that is/means anyway, and the other 1% immediately know you're a poseur jackass.

Like the E60 "M5" I drove behind for a couple of miles yesterday on my commute. Exhaust on one side only and a wonderful diesel soundtrack. I have no idea who he was trying to fool, but the only people he could fool don't give a poo poo about the M5.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh God it is a thing. :stare:

Oh God, indeed.

quote:

At Gum Creek, we are committed to the highest customer service standards and product reliability, due to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The way we handle day to day business revolves around this relationship. We give all the honor and glory back to the One who is fully responsible.

Praise the LORD and pass the ammunition!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I spotted a Skoda Octavia with the tackiest wheels and hellaflush out the wazoo. It had some wonderful stickers on it: "I'm not drunk, just avoiding potholes", "I hate speedbumps", "built, not bought" etc. He must have been awfully proud to drive a lowered Skoda, I guess. I really liked the "I love sushi" with a picture of cunnilingus being performed, very classy indeed. The kicker was the "No fat chicks, tires will rub" sticker, considering that he and his girlfriend were at least 150kg each. I wonder what she thinks.

Unfortunately I couldn't snap a picture. The owner was sitting inside the shop it was parked in front of, sending me the death eyes the whole time.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 3, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Super Doody, indeed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

"Belt line? We'll show you a freaking belt line!"

This poo poo has got to stop. Bring back cars with proper greenhouses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

It won't. You can't hide side-impact air bags and good crush-resistance in glass, unfortunately.

I know :(

But I want to roll down the windows and rest my arm on the windowsill without dislocating my shoulder. I want to be able to actually see stuff around me without having to rely on cameras and sensors. Perhaps I'm in the minority?

My current car has a proper greenhouse, but it's 12 years old.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

Nobody ever said having big piles of money to burn and good taste were mutually exclusive...

If I was that rich, I wouldn't give a drat about other people's opinions on my good taste (or lack thereof).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

You want to be this guy?

No, because I'm not a fat sack of worthless poo poo.

But he does not give a poo poo what anyone else thinks, I'll give him that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Misplaced Yankee posted:

I received one of the best notes in my life outside of a Kmart parking lot from a car diagonally parked. The rear end in a top hat parked in three spaces up near the front. So I parked on top of him, boxing his drivers side door in. I took a quick picture of his license plate and parking job for "if the enraged new owner of a Camaro attacks" and went it. It was like a five paragraph rant on the back of a McDonald's receipt. It was awesome.

The exact same idea went through my head when i saw those pics. Park correctly in a spot, with the front left corner of your car ~2cm from their driver's side door.

Kudos for actually doing it, and I'd love to see some pictures.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

YF19pilot posted:

Anyways, here's something a friend of mine from Fingal, ND shared:

I think it may actually be smarter than it looks.

American-style stretch limos generally have V8s with decent amounts of torque and the long wheelbase would make it really stable when pulling a trailer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

Limos are generally whatever engine came in that car before it went through the limo conversion. The engine is usually untouched, aside from extending the fuel lines and exhaust.

For a Lincoln Town Car conversion (like that in the picture), it's either the 5.0 V8 or 4.6 V8, depending on the year. In a Mustang, they have a bit more power, and Mustangs are also a lot lighter. The version that went into the Panther platform (Town Car, Crown Victoria, etc) is detuned significantly, and that's a very heavy car to begin with.

That's still about 190-210hp and 270+ lb-ft. Even with the relatively heavy limo body to lug around, that's a decent amount of torque, especially with a torque converter automatic behind it.

I drove around trailers weighing upwards of a ton with my old 75hp Corolla, which was certified for trailers weighing that much as long as they had brakes. A town car limo should have no problem pulling most things you'd conceivably hook up behind it, even a decently-sized two-horse box.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

THe exhaust is too big for a smoke tune to be impressive. You need a fuel injector with ATF coming out of it pointed at a glow plug at the head of that "exhaust tip".

This is a joke. And if it ever becomes a thing I'm really, really sorry for suggesting it.

It is already A Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFxTzd69b4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Someone mentioned people trying to commit insurance fraud by throwing themselves on the hoods of cars. Here's a compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFZVIwW8kY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

The part at 3 minutes in almost had me in tears. Given the state of driving in Russia, I've always wondered why the drivers don't just haul off and smack the scammers.

Finally one did.

I know it's wrong to laugh at what is basically an assault, but I can well imagine how pissed I would be if someone tried that on with me. Add to that the fact that all Russians seem at least slightly insane (and drunk) at all times, I'm surprised more videos of the accident scammers don't end with the 'victim' getting kicked in the head and thrown into the gutter.

It saddens me that people have to resort to these kinds of scams involving an enormous amount of personal danger to themselves and pressure on the drivers, in order to eke out a living.

Then again, some of them are just doing it because it's profitable. gently caress them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kp6nRQCzfQ

quote:

dude you just dont know how many people in person complement me about the rims from a homeless man folks in bmw high class folks expressions there eyes pop out and say wow and out loud say this is some nice rims ... single blades are the future everything else is old

:ironicat:

Fads, you just gotta love 'em. It's like the Beanie Babies of car culture.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The frame rate probably has something to do with it.

You can see just how ridiculously out of round they are in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-R5PiN8c8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

That's one tyte 5 series yo, it must be fast:

Nope, it's a Diesel :laugh:

That's a 530d, possibly a 535d. That means somewhere between 230hp and 285hp with over 500nm torque. Unless it's been chipped, which is extremely likely from the look of things. Then it could easily have 300hp or more.

It's not a rocketship, but it's definitely no slouch.

E: Of course it could be a 525d which went from a 2.5L to a 3.0L mid-lifecycle. That puts it at around 195hp, which isn't exactly that fast, considering the lard-rear end nature of the E60.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 5, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I can't help but be skeptical, but I'm really unfamiliar with the new BMW diesel technology. Is there a link to some info or videos?

I'd imagine there would be a lot of torque, but a really narrow powerband.

There's plenty of torque. They're still rather slow from a standing start, the narrow powerband means that you waste a lot of time changing gears. But for overtaking on the motorway, they're monsters.

Das Volk posted:

Doesn't matter honestly, being debadged with all the ridiculous tat, quad exhausts yet being diesel is exactly why I think it's funny. Being a 57 plate it's post-refresh and most likely the slow one. Even so, should a 535d really be wearing quad exhausts and that body kit?

There's not much boy-racer street cred in a diesel, I'll give you that. Diesels are not for shouty angry young people. They're for the quiet guys, the ones who let you get ahead and then absolutely flatten you with a groundswell of torque as they overtake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The entire right column of that picture made me vomit profusely.

sean10mm posted:

BMW didn't change much, they just made the 3 series coupe a 4 series just like the 6 series is a coupe version of a 5 series. The last 2 digits are relative power instead of displacement since they went to smaller turbo engines across the board but didn't want to make all the numbers smaller because it would seem like the new cars were somehow "less" than the old ones. Or something.

So at some point, all BMWs will be called 399, 499 etc.?

"Get ze neu Bai-Em-Wai 499 hier, just 49,999.95!"

Where will they go from there?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 18, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

VAG products have a habit of tripodding when driven hard:

Just about any FWD car with a stiff enough suspension will do it, it's not unique to VWs.

Hot hatches in particular all do it when cornering hard.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

I've never seen a Mazda dipstick that wasn't yellow.

On some cars, different color dipsticks supposedly signify different types of oil needed. For instance, on Peugeots AFAIK a yellow dipstick means it takes mineral oil, an orange dipstick means semi-synth minimum and a red dipstick means fully-synth only.

I'm not sure how reliable this is, though, as I've never been able to find any written documentation, it's all hearsay from my mechanic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

I think that's completely bullshit. Even for PSA cars. PSA does use handle color codes for oil capacity between engines within the same model though (actually I think the color code really identifies dipstick length).

There's only one way to get an answer. A dipstick measuring contest!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Devyl posted:

Is the interior upholstered in Burburry?

Hopefully it's upholstered in beriberi.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I hate to tell you this, but your car...

... is silver:negative:

It's similar to this:

Green-tinted silver.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Why do americans have such a love affair with low-visibility road-camouflage?

It's the same everywhere. Silver, black, gunmetal, charcoal are the 'safe choices' if you want the best resale value. Dark blue and other muted non-attention-grabbing colors are reasonably safe choices as well. Cars and car buyers today are just too uptight, conservative and serious to even consider anything else and in most cases, wild colors aren't even an option. At least you can order most cars in plain white, which I find a lot more interesting than silver or black.

These days, wild colors are pretty much only for tiny city cars and outrageous super cars. Would you buy a bright purple family sedan? I know I would, but most people disagree.

My car is silver, and I wish it was any other color. Unfortunately, the rest of it was way too good to pass by, so now I'm part of the silver sedan brigade as well :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

Two silver sedans as well checking in.. I like silver. I usually joke "If I wanted to go undercover, I'd buy an early 2000s white Impala." They're everywhere.

A silver sedan or wagon is as close to stealth mode as possible, at least around here. I don't mind it, actually.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mine turns on the lights automatically when I start it, but doesn't light up the instruments. If I turn the stalk one click, it goes to parking lights only, but turns the instrument lights on. Two clicks and I get full lights and instrument lights.

Also, I can't light up the rear fog light without turning the front fogs on as well. The options are off, front fogs only and front+rear fogs.

French cars :france:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shifty Pony posted:

But we all have wipers without nicks and working horns because those are inspection items! :v:

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Godholio posted:

I'm curious how many people are going to specifically buy a non-silver car next time after reading this thread.

I will always prefer a non-silver car, but I refuse to buy cars new and sometimes the color is literally the only weak point in a great deal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Have some terrible car stuff, then:

It can be yours for only £30,000.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Is that... a german with a shaved head, wearing FUBU, reviewing a brand new Porsche? That was weird.

Let me tell you, that guy is so German, it hurts.

It's like, how much more German could this guy be? And the answer is none. None more German.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shampoo posted:

I'm pretty sure when they dug up Pompeii they found ancient Roman graffiti, and more than a few were poop and fart jokes.

http://www.pompeiana.org/resources/ancient/graffiti%20from%20pompeii.htm

There is some really fantastic stuff there. Secundus was proud of his prodigious pooping skills:

quote:

“Secundus defecated here” three times on one wall.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lum posted:

Apparently taken on the M4 motorway in South Wales, UK

The elusive burka driver strikes again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

einTier posted:

LIKE I SAID IF U DONT WANT TO BUY KEEP UR COMMENTS TO UR SELF THANKS

That thread where the truck was found is epic, even though it's mostly the owner of the truck telling everyone to shut the gently caress out about how crappy it is.

Caps lock really is cruise control for cool :c00l:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I did sometimes wonder if Mitsubishi would make an EV and name it "Zero" (as in emissions, of course), only to have their American branch point out that it may not be quite the best approach from a PR perspective.

Guess that's a moot point.

Citroën rebadges the Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car as the C-Zero in the European market. So, by way of the French you can actually buy a Mitsubishi named "Zero".

Also, i-MiEV is the most annoying name for a car ever since the Cee'd and the MiTo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

I actually appreciate well-maintained shitboxes. Up in Idaho you'd see a lot of lovely, horrible paint-and-rust cars with fresh tires and good glass in them because it is the type of region where people know how to take care of their cars well, but can't afford luxuries like paint jobs or dent removal. It's almost cute sometimes. Black plastic over a window hole is a no-no, though.

That pretty much describes most of the cars I see on the road here. 10-15 years old, rusty arches etc., but usually with nice-looking wheels and good tires.

I see a worse version pretty often as well. Late-80s to mid 90s Toyotas with plenty of wheel arch rust running 17"-18" wheels with good tires. I mean, for the price of those wheels, at least some of that rust could have been fixed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My colleague snapped this the other day.

Must be a Swedish or Canadian immigrant...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I honestly don't get how something like that could even happen. I mean, the speeds are low enough that they wouldn't even have had to emergency brake, they could have just slowed down normally. Instead they just kinda coast into each other :psyduck:

Is it because they're afraid to brake, or is it something else?