Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't the entire LCS concept kind of a clusterfuck at this point, anyways? I seem to remember a big discussion about it in AI about half a year back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

edit:
Now I know that the "General Grant" is actually a thing.

"General Sherman" is just a General Grant with whiskey-fueled flamethrowers

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e: on second thought that's a little too on the nose

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Or General Products hulls.

That's not a cure all, passengers are still subject to tidal forces

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There was also a small rash of people kicking in the doors of Mazda 3s when it was revealed that just giving the doors a good boot can twist something in the linkage and unlock them.

Someone dented the driver door on my 3 a couple of months before Mazda issued a recall to put a reinforcing plate over top of the linkage, I didn't figure out what the denter had tried to do until I read the letter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I didn't even see the piece of wood in there....I just saw the rust and said that was enough.

I figured out those were wood screws before I saw the wood. All, "hey, wait a minute..."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

... I don't like where this is going...

If it was just this it would be sahweet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dude. It's awesome to see some criticism from the entirely other reason why that car is wrong. Post terrible DJ stuff in this thread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shampoo posted:

I'm pretty sure when they dug up Pompeii they found ancient Roman graffiti, and more than a few were poop and fart jokes.

The oldest known joke in the world is Sumerian. "A thing that has never happened: a young woman did not fart in her lover's lap."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blood Magnet posted:

Spotted in Miami:

It was going in the other thread until I saw the frame sticking out of the bottom.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 5, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The first round of Probes had a Mazda 2.0L for the base trim, the same engine turboed for the GT trim, and the Vulcan for intermediate stuff. (My first car was a base 2.0L with an auto. I miss the way the thing looked but it was not a fast car.) According to wiki, the second go at them used a different Mazda I4 and a Mazda-derived V6 for the GT.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

I honestly don't get how something like that could even happen. I mean, the speeds are low enough that they wouldn't even have had to emergency brake, they could have just slowed down normally. Instead they just kinda coast into each other :psyduck:

Is it because they're afraid to brake, or is it something else?

I love how a few times, the person out in front does slow down, and the driver behind pulls around them and speeds up only to add to the pile. It's like an ingrained reaction to having your drive delayed by anything ever at all.

Then the person who did stop short gets creamed by a bus or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sudo Echo posted:

Found on a scion tC.

I remember an old story about ancient Egyptians, that sometimes they would carve the face of their enemy into the bottom of their sandals so that with every step they took they could stomp on the one they hated.

That car's a Decepticon, I guarantee it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Five. The sixth locks in the auxiliary power in case of tractor beam.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Swapped out of a Volvo S60 Polecat?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

frigorific

This is a fantastic word and I'm going to misuse it a bunch. "Hey Phy, how was your weekend?" "Frigorific!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

That all comes from back in the day where you custom ordered your car and waited a few weeks for it to be built and delivered. Interesting colors are a casualty of the development of huge dealer lots with weeks and months of inventory, which also hosed around considerably with the factory-dealer payment schemes, credit practices etc. I think in the longer run custom ordering is going to come back, so hopefully it'll bring cool colors back too.

It was pretty stark driving around in Korea and 99% of cars are white, black, silver, but it's not much better here.

I thought I remembered someone posting hereabouts that there are regulations or some kind of impetus to use paints that use less water, or some variety of no-longer-kosher additive, and that's the other reason for paint colours being severely curtailed and kind of bland.

Anyway, the Dodge Dart has one of the biggest paint selections I've seen in a long time outside of builders who are like "you're paying us enough already, we can paint it chartreuse if you'd bloody like".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

Was on Ebay selling for $250k

I love that it looks like it comes with its own tokusatsu hero helmet, but at 250 large it had better also turn into a loving Zord

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The first thing that came to mind was "Oh, it's wearing its dress uniform."

That's one highly decorated Chrysler.

Somehow I feel like the rear wheels should be taken off and the brakes rested on a pair of skateboards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

HID LEDs huh..

Yeah, they're HID under the HOOD! :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Terrible car news:

Sounds like Top Gear killed the Furai.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Actually I always thought the FD RX7 looked like a baby Corvette:

Although to be fair the FD was first, so maybe more accurate to say the Vette is a giant RX?

I always thought the FD looked like a shrunken Viper GTS, but that's uncanny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

Something about liking wings

Hey man this post is full of spoilers, so uncool

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Every warning sign has its roots in someone doing what the sign is now telling you not to.

One of these days I'd like to meet the feller who managed to pre-house his seamy side volitation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

stump posted:

Somebody I know managed to get caught speeding in an air cooled VW camper.

School zone?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Top of the line in utility sports
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"But I don't have a wiscense to shoot a fwicaseeing wabbit!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
He really did mean the snake.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah I guess that makes more sense.. I always thought the rating in the US was 42 mpg but looking it up, it's actually 41 mpg highway and 36 combined.

Goddamn one would have to be an idiot to buy a car that offers absolutely no storage space and doesn't even compensate with sperg levels of fuel economy. Pretty much every hatchback out there can hits those numbers and they maintain the ability to bring home a load of groceries.

Zipcar took its sweet-rear end time coming to my city, so Mercedes brought in its own car-sharing program using only Smartcars. There are Smarts all over the city nowadays but it's rare to see one that isn't a Car2Go. I'm entirely okay with this, especially because they stand out and let you file them in the mental category for "doesn't drive often".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

Not that you're likely to ever see one in person outside of the territory, there are no roads into Nunavut, and according to Wikipedia, there's less than 900Km of roads (in an area over 2 million km2)

Just on Sunday I was wondering what the heck they looked like and why I'd never seen one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

I'm a child.

I shoulda taken a picture of the yellow Corvette with I102SPD on the plate. I may get to eventually, I've seen him on my commute before

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if it's awesome or awful. I saw this thing on the street yesterday:

Complete with tacky-rear end wrap. It got away before I could get a camera on it so that's not my picture.

But drat. My first real F40.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Launch this into the sea tia

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

There was a senior my freshman year of highschool who got a massive (millions) life insurance payout from his parents' deaths when he turned 18 who had a Geo Tracker with gold-plated lowrider wheels, hydraulics and a glittery custom paintjob.

The importance of having a positive parental influence in your life

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

What happens when you want a lovely pseudo-truck like the SSR, but you're a MOPAR fan?

Then you do this:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

N is for Nipples posted:

Dodge Neon WRX STi:

I very clearly remember that Kia sold either a Rio or a Sephia in WRX-clone trim - blue paint and tall spoiler definitely, hood scoop and gold wheels maybe. But I can't for the life of me find pictures.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DropShadow posted:

This thing just won't leave me alone.

At least he washed it and got better wheels though.

I would have rearward-facing seats in the second row and call it the PT Shmoozer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The kit diagram lays it out in the terrifyingly mundane way usually reserved for autopsies and accident scene restorations:

Today, on "Behind Phy's Keyboard": the cult horror classic, The Man With The SCREAMING BRAIN!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH RIVETS AND TEK SCREWS OH MY GOD WHY

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good god, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Fisker has taken a mustang and re-designed it to have the face of a famous automotive celebrity:

Need to paint that grille orange