Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

You could paint the Mona Lisa on my bare hairy rear end, that wouldn't make it fine art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

GutBomb posted:

People steal wheels off SIs to sell. The buyers put them on lower models with fake badges to sell a regular civic as an SI.

I don't know about Civic Si wheels specifically, but OEM wheels tend to be absurdly overpriced, so if FogHelmut's friend has insurance and doesn't have his heart set on OEM replacements he can probably get a nice aftermarket wheel/tire upgrade and maybe even have cash left over. TPMS can be a bitch, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

Ford is notorious for this.

Ranger and Explorer were pickup truck trim levels in the 70s.

Pretty much all the (older, American) model names were trim names if you go back far enough. Heck, go back to the '50s or so and that's all you had, different trim levels on "the Ford" or "the Chevrolet". There was neither the market demand nor the profit opportunity to differentiate cars with so many different actual bodies, platforms, configurations etc.

Odd how this is kind of coming full circle.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

I'm sure there is some just plain ole ordinary bias towards aggressiveness in rich people driving high performance cars on top of what that study found. I mean, if I was driving a lamborghini and a $200 ticket was pocket change, I'd cut off a slow driver in a loving heartbeat to avoid getting stuck behind them one second longer.

I suppose that's what researchers call "greed" but eh.

The drivers of 'higher-end' cars often aren't rich people, they're people who are in hock up to their eyeballs, or got a great deal used. And people with lots of money often drive cheap shitboxes, because they're frugal, which is why they have lots of money.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

You are confusing old money and new money.

If you're in hock up to your eyeballs you don't actually have either

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

If you can afford just to qualify for a lease on a $100k car, you're not too bad off, even if it's a stretch to make the payments. Kinda separates them from people who are busting their rear end going broke making 96-month payments on a $15k econobox, ya know?

To use the example of the Escalade in front of the laundromat, a lot of those $100K cars weren't paid for with leases, they were paid with cash from mortgaging home equity against bubble-inflated values, which have since busted. So a lot of those people with $100K cars are lucky if they even have roofs over their heads anymore.

So, yeah, I guess the guy making 96 month payments on a $15k shitbox is different from the guy with a 5-year old Escalade and a $200k mortgage on a $100k house.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Great move there Ford :psypop:

What do other PZEV manufacturers do to get around this?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A lot of cars just straight up aren't available in anything but white/black/silver/grey. See: Hyundai / Kia. When I bought my Audi all the colorful, uh, colors were all special orders.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

Silver cars are the worst idea in Seattle. I had one as a work car, and got ran in to by random vehicles two or three times before I just started leaving the lights on all the time.

This is a good point. There are a lot of idiots around New England who drive in the rain/fog, in their silver cars, with their lights off. Turn on your loving lights, no I don't care that there's no state law, no I don't care that you think you can see just fine, you're like a loving ghost ship coming out of the mists, turn on your loving lights. This actually goes for most any color, but silver is the worst.

(That was the general 'you' not directed specifically at MikeyTsi)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The CT inspection is an OBD II check, as well. That and they see if you have a check engine light. There are a ridiculous number of cars driving around up here with a headlight or taillight out - as in, I will pass multiple ones on my ten minute drive to work. A visual inspection would be more effective.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

InitialDave posted:

It relates to the interior comments, but I've never understood why companies building higher-end cars settle for parts bin switchgear etc. Give me a sportscar that costs £60k and has Ford Fiesta stalks and heater knobs, and the question for me is why I can't have them in machined aluminium and have it cost £61k. Even in smaller quantities, CNCing up bits like that isn't that expensive. You can buy quite nice fittings like that off the shelf anyway, there's no need for something that shouts to you about where they cut the costs right in front of your face every time you drive the car.

When you click 'compare car' on an auto website, it brings up (manufacturer reported) hp/tq numbers, transmission speeds, etc. It does not say whether the paddle shifters are magnesium or plastic. A good car review article will discuss interior quality, the glossed over press releases that pass for car journalism don't. So in terms of what sells cars, at least to the point of getting you to the dealership and physically sitting in the car, interior quality has very little bang for the buck. And you get people who think stuff like:

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't know about you, but if I can get that level of performance and exterior looks for $55,000 and have a rather crappy interior, or a car with inferior performance but a FABULOUS interior for $55,000, I will go with the first car every. Single. Time.

It's far from penny wise and pound foolish; they put the money from the interior into making the base-line trim level of the C7 a 450hp 26hwmpg MONSTER that actually looks like a supercar.

Personally, I'd rather have the car with nicer interior bits and a little less power, because I may redline it only so often but I have to deal with the interior bits every single time I get in the car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

kastein posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. My point is, as long as the parts are quality and the interior is well built (i.e. not a bunch of clip-together plastic and cheap floppy-yet-brittle switches that rattle and squeak and fall apart) who cares if they're used on other vehicles as well?

I'm not saying a good interior is stupid, just that it coming out of a parts bin/being used on other lesser vehicles as well doesn't necessarily make it bad interior.

The problem is that the parts often aren't quality and the interior often isn't well built. i.e. a bunch of clip-together plastic and cheap floppy-yet-brittle switches that rattle and squeak and fall apart. People buying at a low price point expect this crappiness, but people spending significantly more expect significantly better kit.

GM in particular went decades selling their fanciest vehicles (think big super-expensive Caddys) with switchgear that was rattly and floppy off the dealer lot, if it all worked in the first place; it was one thing when the brand name was enough to sell the car but it continued for far too long after the Japanese brands started eating their lunch. In GM's case it was often obviously so they could reuse the same cheap crap part between Caddy, Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac (i.e. the 'parts bin') but if they had used unique parts between brands and models that were still crap the complaints wouldn't have been meaningfully different (see: older Hyundais.) Compare this to, say, VW, who may put the same switches in a Golf, an A4 and a Boxter, but it's a nice switch to begin with so no one gripes all that much.

If I get in my car, I am at a minimum interacting with the door and handles, driver seat, the steering wheel, the pedals, the gearshifter, the turn signal stalks, and the dashboard indications. If these feel floppy, make inappropriate noise, look like rear end, don't work, are at strange unadjustable angles, etc it is going to sour my driving experience. If I'm in a $15k car that's part of the price of admission. In a $45k+ car, it's not. If your priority is that the car should be kept alive forever on junkyard parts, you're not the target audience for new car design regardless.

Kenshin posted:

Apologies for the meme text in the first image (it refers to Kent, WA, a "suburb" of Seattle that is very, very white trashy)

The whitewalls and the grille give away that this is an art car and the photographer has been successfully trolled

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You would really think Bibleguy would drive a Chevrolet

or at least put on the badges

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I actually like the sheer corniness of the front end but he should have left the truck bed open.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I don't... I can't... really bring myself to hate this. It looks pretty cleanly done, anyway.

That front on that body is really weird though.

Until you guys started talking about Benzes I thought that was a Hyundai front fascia

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If your benchmark for if an I3 can sound good is a BMW you're completely off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTVXp3ViZk

E: drat, beaten by one post

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Not very many 2.2L I3s to compare it to, unfortunately.

Once again Triumph has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJNezBDzMw

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I think it's more that if someone dings up your new Merc's fender in the parking lot, replacement parts exist to fix it. The prices on older supercars reflect the parts availability situation.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Body's in good shape, suspension is sound but the acceleration stinks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Definitely the wrong thread for that

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Hashal posted:

Not sure what's worse, the car or the jacket:

Same car:

quote:

Besides the bucket loads of PU foam and the insanely massive 30-inch chrome wheels up front and 40-inch in the rear, the interior is littered with Swarovski Crystals. Audronis states, “one button is one big crystal, not like others who use plastic button glue with small crystals.” Also, the gearshift lever is a huge 25cm crystal.

Not sure what's going on with that A-pillar

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Alphius posted:

Also I suppose it's mildly funny that their supposed "bug-out vehicle" won't start.

C'mon, clearly they haven't worked the bugs out

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
To move in the first place it'd need a gas tank... somewhere

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking the center console under the armrest because gently caress it at that point why not

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Once saw an early '90s Festiva / Fiesta (forget the difference), salmon pink rattlecan job with no clearcoat. Had a big NEUSPEED logo wrapped around one fender onto the hood, unlikely any Neuspeed parts graying the suspenders on its 14" steelies. Enormous fartcan muffler. But the coup de grace was the rebadging on the rear hatch, proclaiming what its owner really wished it was.

TAURUS.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Not really seeing what's so bad about that. A car that old could be some high schooler's car or something, and it's an individual look on the cheap. Lord knows no Civic of that vintage has OEM paint worth a drat anymore.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Of course not. This picture was taken in Detroit.

Certainly explains why there are no people in the picture.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Vignette, not flare. :science:

He may have meant flair. It certainly has plenty of that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

jamal posted:

That scraping sound is because the miata is super slammed/hellaflush.

Do tracks not get mad at the damage surely done by dragging hard parts constantly like that?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
After all that they didn't even change the oil filter (at least during the video)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Do all shops have a hot tank? Not sure about that specific shop but I'm not sure if your average tire change / muffler swap / brake job place has much use for one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

trouser chili posted:

Ok, now I'm bleeding everywhere and it hurts to type. What was this supposed to accomplish?

Lost fingat

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
"Noted IPR (Investigative Public Reporter) One"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Besides, If its shooting past me at 80+ on the freeway, I KNOW it won't be keeping up off road.

I figured out one time that after the V-8 swap my FJ40 redlined at like 85.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Feet of extra turbo piping actually surprisingly doesn't add much, if anything, to turbo lag. I mean, unless you're Holdbrooks and you're contemplating running it eight feet into the air and then five squiggly feet back.

Was it Holdbrooks's thread where this was discussed and the consensus was, on a small-displacement 4 you might see a little something maybe, but on a big V-8 where the engine's gulping down more than the volume of the pipes every revolution it was irrelevant?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Brigdh posted:

I'd kinda like to know I'm not overrevving it before its warm?

Where's the "not until warm" mark on a tach?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've also found Ate Up With Motor's history of auto transmission development to be useful in understanding slushboxes and how the modern design came about (be sure to read pt 2 aas well.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That site name really overpromises

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

Two trucks taking up space in the yard, a rusted to gently caress Mazda frame and smashed up/rusted F-series body?

Edit: Or a dare+beer.

I'm imagining a guy complaining to his family that his frame rusted through and a confused grandma thinking she was getting him a wonderful Christmas present. Like getting a gaudy sweater four sizes too big. No, Grandma, it fits fine, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cakefool posted:

:allears: do you think they take turns?

I'm not sure if you mean the trucks flip and carry each other every now and then, or if the apparatus is at all stable if the route goes left or right, or if these are even two separate issues