Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I am, because they plug up the fuckin' trail with their busted poo poo and usually spend time propagating bad info to people who don't know any better.

The first one has 10-12 inches of lift to clear 35s, you can clear 35s on 4-5 inches of lift, and he's got the worst, least reliable radius arm kit available on there. And stock steering links at such a ridiculous height that I'd be shocked if it has less than a quarter turn of play in the wheel and will actually turn without the tie rod ends binding up completely if the right front wheel is up and the left front is down. You can see how close to maxed out the TRE on the right steering knuckle is.

e: ahahah I just noticed something else, he's running a stock tie rod with a locked front diff, 10" of lift, and giant tires. For reference I have bent those badly screwing around in a snowy parking lot in a stock cherokee... and put a significant bend in one by laying it on the ground in my yard and jumping on the middle of it. They are spaghetti-stiff and have no place on any upgraded cherokee.

The second is weak stock drivetrain/suspension parts turning tires way too large for it, hackjob frontend work, and general redneck bullshit. Plus if someone's got two or more steering stabilizers on their rig you can almost guarantee they are either bad at cars or made the mistake of listening to someone who is bad at cars when they planned their build.

Ah, I spotted the more-than-needed lift and thought maybe the tie rod was an issue. I was going to ask, but Chinatown beat me to it.
I imagine you're already aware of Scary Steering (should be http://128.83.80.193/scarysteering/scarysteering.html I can't check at work because the morons who set up our network used 128.x.x.x, a routable address, as our internal addressing, so all requests for 128.x.x.x come back inside. Idiots.) There some amazing hack jobs on there.

kastein posted:

That's exactly the picture I was thinking of.

Also:

For when one ring of fake beadlock bolts isn't enough, the discerning brotruck ricer can now have TWO!

Wonder how many retards are going to buy those wheels without realizing how obvious it is that they have no idea what a beadlock actually is or how one works.

e: for the unaware, this is every bit as retarded and useless as a wing/fartcan/bodykit on a civic.

Ends up looking pretty military, though. I think I'd actually like it if it didn't have the outer fake beadlock.

Powershift posted:

There was a guy who took a set and turned them into 3 piece wheels.

That's pretty nifty. You know, this is the first time I've noticed that the lock for the lug cover is the bear's belly button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible IT stuff in this thread, seriously how bad do you have to be to gently caress that up? What was wrong with 10.?

I don't know. They had only just ditched Token Ring a handful of years before I for there in 2000. I don't think they really thought about the Internet, or RFCs when they designed the network. Whats more concerning is that it hasn't been fixed in 13 years, though any new networks and sinners are 10. The stumbling block is all the fixed IP printers and mainframes. No one wants to take responsibility for that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can't hate this.

e: is that a chromed fire extinguisher bottle with the valve end cut off for a scoop?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kenny Rogers posted:

Once I pulled 3 blue paper shop towels, some leaves, and two Wilson-brand sweatsocks out of the intake snorkel, it went like a scalded cat.

:iiam:

I'm thinking practical joke.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A few I've collected recently.

Parking lot at work. Apparently, someone makes an aftermarket grille for GMCs that look like Ford's:

Spotted in the parking lot at a swap meet last weekend, I present to you the White Disproportionate pickup:

The single headlight on the cab is what caught my attention over the sea of cars first.

I REALLY should have taken a picture of the Studebaker pickup cab on a C4 Vette frame with all kinds of poo poo tacked on it rat-rod style, but with a sense of humor. Rat-trap as a gas pedal, one of the switches on the dash was a ceramic-base Frankenstein switch, complete with two home-style screw in fuses, corkscrewed wiring everywhere, and the passenger door had a doorbell - that rang the bell and released the power trunk latch on the gas-strut assisted door, just for starters. VW Beetle fenders on it. Oh, and he was squirting anyone that stood in front of it with remote-controlled window washers pointed forwards.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

That looks infinitely better (still not my thing, and those wheels are poo poo), but the cost is probably about the same as building a retromod C1 anyway.

Those are factory wheels (still awful.)

There's also a '67 replica version:
http://www.67c5.com/

And don't forget the Nomad version of that '53 kit:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

88h88 posted:

I seem to recall this particular Rolls was designed around you having a chauffeur (and he was sat open to the elements).

*edit: here we go:

Well, that make a tiny bit more sense.
Wait. Is that suede on the tops of the front fenders?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Linedance posted:

no, that's obvious. I'm just confused as to why.

I have to admit after seeing that, that I am now thinking about doing that on my 2WD Cherokee, just for the troll factor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Here's an episode of hoarders: cars waiting to happen

Geeze, there's so much crap back there it's sitting on the bump-stops.
What must that smell like? Can't be good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Those are $5 beauty hubcaps

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't drive it.

No they're not. Those spun aluminum discs cost about $100/ set.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I opened up my copy of Merriam-Websters and turned it to the entry for 'radical' and this thing came flying out of the pages, wheelied across my living room floor, smashed through the bay window and is now doing donuts on my lawn

E: just transformed into a robot that is also some kind of boombox

Bravo! That made me honestly laugh put loud.
Also, a Fiero that is actually still a Fiero deserves recognition. A buddy of mine has a bunch of these (he had a Fiero specialty business for a whole) and the story behind the car is actually pretty fascinating. There are quite a few design and manufacturing innovations in it. It suffered for trying to go around GMs hidebound traditions. That is to say, GM killed it because it pissed off the other divisions, among other things. The fires didn't help, either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The one that almost backed over me had NOGAS for the plate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Das Volk posted:

It sounds terrible.

Agreed. I love good straight-six, but that M4 ain't it. All sorts of disconcerting raspy, farty noises coming out of it. Definitely still needs some exhaust tuning. How does something like that get past the superior German auditory experience engineers?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could also be an eco-weenie and get the 1.0L EcoBoost Fiesta. That way you still get a turbo but you can tell chicks that you care a lot about the environment while taking a corner on the Ohlins rally kit suspension.

I looked a Ford USA's website, and according to the configurator there, you can only get the 1.0 Ecoboost in one color with one trim package. You can't change the color or the wheels, and there aren't any options. So you better like your Fiesta in black.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, you can definitely change the color:

WTF? I was looking at the configurator after the Formula Ford Ecoboost video was posted, and every time I changed the color, it wanted to remove the Ecoboost option.

quote:

And you can have it in either a hatch or a sedan. Otherwise, yeah, you're stuck with the 15" wheels, you can't upgrade much else in the way of options. The option won't even show up unless you start with an SE-trim manual, it's not available on S or Titanium at all, or an SE automatic.

I wouldn't want an autotragic on that little engine anyway. Decent looking 16" wheels would be nice.

edit: It was only the Performance Blue that was the problem. Other colors OK, although, wow, they're charging $400-600 extra fro metallic paints, or anything besides red and shades of grey. Also, steelies only? Really? Not even ALUMINUM 15" wheels? Buy aftermarket, I guess.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 23, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

My 66 had aftermarket ones installed. While it had fancy three point harnesses, I'm pretty sure in any wreck the anchors would have pulled out. Or they'd actually hold and the belt would function like a cheese slicer, splitting me into three chunks of former human.

My '70 Cutlass had 3-points, but the shoulder belt was separate, with no reel (it folded up and slipped into clips in the headliner) and, as far as I can tell you either use the lap belt, or the shoulder belt. They both have the same connector, and I've only got one set of buckles. I think that there was supposed to be another set of buckles or something, since the lap belt buckles are long, basically meeting the other end in the middle, like racing belts. My '68 El Camino had a shoulder belt with a male and female end on it - you buckled the shoulder belt into the inside buckle, then connected the lap belt to the female receptacle on the shoulder belt. Still no reel on the shoulder belt.
I'll probably put some of the aftermarket 3-points in the Cutlass when I put in bucket seats. I've actually had an accident in the thing with just the lap belts on and whacked my forehead on the steering wheel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

No pic, but I saw a Lincoln LS on the side of the road on the way into work this morning. Right front tire and wheel were perpendicular to the direction of travel, and that corner of the car was on the ground, with associated fender damage from the tire. Someone neglected to check their ball joints for some time.
Pity, the car looked nice otherwise.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

It was sent "package services" which, he says comes with $500 of insurance as standard (Google determined this was a lie.) USPS rep just told me that a 30-day wait is standard before they will even think about declaring it lost.

After hearing all of the horror stories that people have gone through with PayPal (as the buyer) I feel like I'm pretty safe at this point, it's just a question of how soon I pull the trigger on converting it into an actual full blown dispute.

Anyway, this is a boring derailment sorry all.

I think you only have 45 days from the date of the transaction to file a claim, maybe less. Check with Paypal to be sure. And you're right, only the sender can file acclaim with the shipper. I had to argue about that with an idiot who packed a '70 Cutlass dash pad in two taped-together soda cup boxes with a handful of packing peanuts and a chunk of foam, and expected it to make it to me in one piece (it didn't). Never mind that the shipping company would have rejected the claim due to laughable packing, he's the one who has to make the claim. That was the last eBay purchase I made not using PayPal.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh FFS, Lexus, enough already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I have one in my vintage Chevy, livin on the edge (of a hot oil bath).

Got one in my '70 Cutlass. I make damned sure the tubing is in good shape and the fittings are tight any time I'm near it. Mechanical water temp, too, though that's a capillary tube and therefore factory sealed (and not hot coolant).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Craptacular posted:

I'm going to say the "Ferrari", because the "Lamborghini" is just a mockup. You can't even get inside it. http://englishrussia.com/2014/02/18/we-have-our-own-lamborghini/

This would look way better than the Fauxrarri if they'd paid a modicum of attention to the wheel and tire fitment. How do you manage to not cover your tire package when you're the one designing it?
It doesn't look absolutely terrible, except for the skateboard wheels, and the rear diffuser. Better than a lot of kit cars and home-builts.
Also, $15 grand for a mock-up that you can't even sit in and make vroom vroom noises? WTF?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

uncle_skin posted:

Well it's that time of the year again when my town gets overtaken by donks. My house is right between two of the places they gather so I can sit on my porch and watch the parade of ridiculousness go by. I'll try to get some photos for this thread. In the meantime here's a video from last year. The cars start about two minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYwVK0vKdU

I kind of kept this going off to the side while working on something else, and caught this @ about 12:46.
I swear that's a Jeep 2WD straight axle under that Caprice, or something very like it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know if everyone missed it, or no one cared, but not only do the fenders extend, but so do the side skirts. I'm kind of surprised the bumpers don't as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

It's a purpose built show car that will never see the road. Why not throw every single possible thing at it to promote your shop. Hell, back when I judged vw shows, there were people with chromed disc brake rotors.

Oh, I get "because show car". Just never seen extending fenders and side skirts, which I guess is why it has them. New and different is good, no matter how useless, on a show car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It's a NZ thing, too. Not sure where it originated initially but I have no intention of claiming credit. The standard dumb-oval office-with-sideways-cap vehicle here is a nissan laurel/cefiro/skyline (4 doors)/toyota cressida with huge chromes or brightly coloured enkeis on the front, and tiny steel bottlecaps with supercats on the rear. So you can do mean skids bro, but still show you have your awesome financed rims.

I remember a few years back here in the States, the Honda boyz had a similar thing going on where they had nice rimzzz and low-pros on the rear of their Civic, and 15" steelies up front, because obviously they were going drag racing, and had their stickies on. Except of course they were just steelies with whatever cheap tire was available rather than drag radials or slicks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Crappy cell-phone picture, sorry. What you need to know here is that this car was traveling straight along the lane. The left-rear wheel was toed in about 5-10 degrees, making the car dog-walk about 5 or 6 inches difference front to back.

Another pic. If you look closely, you can see the left-rear turned to the right, compared with the front. How do you not notice this on your car? More to the point, how do you do whatever they did to the car to accomplish this and not wonder of there might be some damage?

Jeep JK Wrangler with huge rimzzz. Why the hell would you do this to a vehicle designed for off-road prowess?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tindjin posted:

Here ya go. It's an original movie display poster, had a friend look at it that collects them and he confirmed. Going to make an obnoxious "go fast" frame for it and put it in my garage. The guy sent it nicely rolled up with a protective sheet of thin paper but it's got a couple of nice creases from people folding it in the last 33 years.

So just in case you wanted to see this ultra-rare film, YouTube is your freind (MST3K version - non-MST3K is available in segments):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPspYjPi3c

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

I love the decrepit warehouse they're building it in. Russia is the best.

At least it's a (BMW) V8.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jamal posted:

Hopefully this oil cooler isn't actually hooked up to anything:

In addition to an oil leak waiting to happen, you get lovely airflow through the core when it's just sitting out there like that.

EVERY one of those I see is an RX-7 oil cooler (including this one). I suppose because they are that large stock, and being OEM on every '7 made, cheap(ish)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EightBit posted:

I had an NA FC with over 130,000 miles and it had great compression and ran great, didn't even have issues at 3k rpm when the secondary injectors came on, when the car got totalled because a sorority chick panicked in traffic and blocked me. The rotary engines can certainly last a long time, but the average driver will baby their car too much and load them with carbon. I get sad when I'm behind an RX8 being driven slowly, I know it's just dieing a slow death.

My '90 NA FC currently has 224K miles on the original 13B. Still runs smooth and strong. It's the turbo rotaries that have short lifespans. Too much boost or one bit of detonation and out go the apex seals.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Looks like the ground *may* have gotten a little soupy at one time.
I've had cars sink in a little over years of storage, but geeze!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Before every GM product was just another rebadge, and somewhat before that before every GM product was just another rebadge with some slight engine differences, Olds was the GM luxury brand that was more experimentally techy. Cases in point:

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/oldsmobile-toronado-1966-1970/
http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/oldsmobile-rocket-88/

Also, see the F-88, which would have eaten the Corvette's lunch if Chevy hadn't been a whiny bitch to Mama GM and gotten it killed.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-...taldisplayed=50

Full disclosure: I currently own a 1970 Olds Cutlass S Sports Coupe (post coupe), and while not a complete Olds nut, I know quite a bit about them because I have a tendency to delve into the history of every car I own.

NoWake posted:

A little late to Oldsmobile chat, but my neighbor's got a Firenza entombed in his half of the garage. No idea how long it's been there or what the deal is, but it's pretty assuredly terrible car stuff.

In and of itself, the Firenza's OK. It's just a rebadged/re-fascia'd Chevy Monza. Could have anything from a 4-banger to a 305 V8 in there. My '78 Monza had a 3.2L Buick V6 (debored 3.8L) and a 4-speed. It was pretty cool for a high school car. I still have a soft spot for them, even though they were really just gussied-up Vegas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99% certain I've seen that text before...

...yep, dates back to at least 2005.

See, that one I don't buy, because we all know that not only would the Jeep 4.0 continue to run on sand, it would probably thrive.

This is old, and may have been posted before, but I found it wandering down the rabbit-hole of DIY extrude-hone:
http://jalopnik.com/owner-says-18k-engine-build-ruined-nissan-gt-r-with-tw-1029580432

Guy pays $18K for an engine rebuild and ends up with no oil pressure, and lots of stuff missing/hacked on his GT-R. Permetex everywhere, also.

I'm mildly curious how he managed to get the later full-sized pickup six-bolt hubs on the front. For that matter, the rear, since the Elky is coil-sprung. I'm imagining a hack-job of "scary-steering.com" proportions under there. Abetter question may be why would you bother?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

I suspect that a :thejoke: is coming my way, but isn't the issue there that the pig trailer's putting way too much weight on the tow ball and bottoming the springs, which isn't really an issue with the number of tyres on said axle? And that moving the axle group further forward will fix the obvious issue (the not-obvious issues being that I suspect the trailer weighs too much to be legally towed with a pintle hitch. And probably safely doubles the rated max tow on the truck. And does not look like it's got breakaway brakes. I want to stop looking at this image now).

Edit: Does the US not have any GCM limits on a car license or something? I'm genuinely struggling with this image and why anyone would buy an SUV a pickup rather than an MR/HR if they needed to tow stuff like this or the tractor regularly?

Duallies not only have dual rear tires for more load capacity, they have a heavier axle, springs, and, usually, frame, to handle it.
And yes, with that much load, it really should be a gooseneck trailer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Are actual proper mid-sized trucks impossible to buy or get somehow or something there? Stuff like this:

We have them, but they usually require a commercial license. That one may be small enough not to, but pickups, even duallies, are regarded as light trucks, and can therefore be operated with a standard passenger vehicle license.

quote:

Also:

An unusual scene for here (it'd be a 100 series diesel or a colorado or something) but it's not crazy or impossible or anything.

(the photos themselves are terrible car stuff)

That's a small Tractor on a standard car/flatbed trailer. Not even comparable to the big hoss on the gooseneck pictured earlier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

There is a huge assortment of vehicles that are ok to drive with a regular license. I've personally drove a GM T7500, and International 4300, both 24' trucks with GVW of 25,500. The lack of license restrictions is scary and uplifting at the same time.

I cannot argue with this.

Panty Saluter posted:

Have you ever been to an autocross? You would think that car enthusiasts would be the cool guy crowd if you haven't but in reality they're as goony and awful as any anime con, just substitute Miatas for waifus.

Any race situation you are definitely going to get your daily allowance of spergs. It's all very technical ad they're there to win, a lot of them. I did meet quite a few people who were just autocrossing for fun in my district, though. Hell, one guy's car was down, which was also his daily, so he brought the rental. An autocrossing stock '90s FWD Impala (Lumina, maybe?) was hilarious.

Car shows, if you go to the right ones (small, casual ones generally - not the ones filled with car show pros) you can get the cool car people.

dev null posted:

I really wish I could buy a NEW small pickup truck in the US, that's terrible car stuff right there.

Is the new Colorado bigger than you're looking for? I could see how it might be.

For the record, the biggest truck I own is my XJ Cherokee, which has been filled to the brim several times in the 18 months I've owned it, but I use my Dad's 3/4 Dodge (and trailer) several times a year to move big stuff. He uses it WAY more. Hay fields, tractors and stuff (he's a mechanical engineer, but he really wants to be a farmer when he grows up.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

G-Mach posted:

I found this hidden in the woods behind a circle track.

Uh, wow.
Somebody had a bunch of yellow paint sitting around, among other things.

e:

MrYenko posted:

Swamp rednecks best rednecks.

Those are transverse-mounted seats in the back of the Camaro and the El Camino, for anyone who didn't notice them.

Did not see that! They're tour buggies? also, isn't that a Ranchero?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I thought, originally anyway, that the whole point of the 2 and 4 were to be two door versions of the 3 and 5. Then I remembered that BMW is hellbent on making no sense.

See, that's what I thought!
Also, RE: the 435i Gran Coupe, how does a coupe have 4 doors? Doesn't coupe mean "2-door"?

The only company with more nonsensical naming conventions than BMW would be Infiniti, where everything is a "Q". God, that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

While the 85 MPH speedo thing was terrible government BS, I salute the auto manufacturer who did this. It follows the letter of the law by not having actual numbers above 85, but is still usable past that. Most of them tweaked the speedo so that the entire sweep ended at 85.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DefaultPeanut posted:

How a friend wired power to the amp in the back of his Subaru Outback. The white extension cord runs all the way to the battery, unfused. Black for positive, white for ground.
I'm pretty sure the red and blue cables are for the speaker -/+.

As a former mobile electronics installer, I'm just going to go over and cry in the corner quietly.