Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I saw that travesty in person and it was ridiculous. Edmontonians know we have lovely winters, so they buy 4x4 trucks with all season tires and think they'll be fine. Then they crash everywhere and wind up in the ditch whenever it snows because a 4x4 truck isn't a cure all for lovely driving.

I've driven a RWD S10 this winter with cheap all seasons and never had a problem because I know how to counter steer and slow down when the weather is terrible. Most Edmonton drivers don't.

I have something to add to the terrible car thread: the current gen full sized pick ups. I drove my roommate's Ram 1500 SLT and I can't get over how bad it was. You feel completely disconnected to the road. It's drive by wire and when you put your foot down the vehicle doesn't respond at all. The traction control over reacts so it seems like you're not driving it so much as you are suggesting what you want to do. The steering is electronic and feel weightless. I can't believe how much I hated that truck. I love driving my 15 year old S10 because it doesn't have any of that electronic bullshit. When I drive I want to feel like I'm in control, not just a passenger making suggestions. I like trucks, but I hate how the new ones have just been ruined by driver assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Personally I think the Fusion is a great looking car and I'd rather look at it than some boring Hyundai. Ford really has the best looking vehicles on the road right now of the big 3. The Focus, Fusion, F150, Mustang and Taurus are all pretty unique and good looking vehicles.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I don't know what you guys are talking about, that continental is awesome. I'm a sucker for suicide doors.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

That Saturn Sky isn't all that bad, either..

That S2000 concept is horrible, but I saw a Sky a couple of days ago and I'm always blown away by them. I don't really care for the Soltice but the Sky is a phenomenal looking thing.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Linedance posted:

Yup, traction control and snow.

Oh god this. After driving my first traction controlled vehicle for work in the snow last winter I'll never get in a vehicle again without instantly turning it off. You go to merge onto a busy street, give it a bit of gas and have the engine cut power so you're now sticking out into oncoming heavy traffic. Not fun.

Traction control for things like getting up icy hills/steep hills on trails is junk too. I had it on in my Frontier going up a muddy slope and the traction control kicked on, cut power to my struggling truck and I stalled it on a steep hill. Having to hill start on a greasy 45 degree incline is pretty sketchy.

Plus I don't know about you guys but I have been the victim of embarrassment at the drag strip trying to do a burnout in my old RX-8 and having the TC kick on at the wrong moment.

I hate traction control, I don't understand it's function. It seems like taking control away from the driver and doing something unexpected isn't safer in any way shape or form. If I start to slide due to losing traction I know what to do to get the vehicle settled, TC just gets in the way of that.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

They should have sent a poet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Guys that wooden jeep is awesome and looks to be extremely well done. I'm calling wrong thread on that one because I'd drive the hell out of it.