Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Captain McAllister posted:

You'd have to treat it, or keep it polished. While aluminum doesn't 'rust', it does still oxidize...
Its a near instantaneous oxidation meaning that you can't actually find a chunk of aluminum that doesn't have a layer of oxidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

kastein posted:

we here in the rust belt have more words for rust and oxidation than eskimos have for snow. There are many kinds of aluminum oxide... the shiny kind that you're talking about, which is an invisible thin layer of oxide that protects the base metal, the crunchy white powder kind that jams steel bolts into aluminum parts so badly the heads twist off, the slightly greasy feeling white growth kind that appears on a cast aluminum part left out in the rain. The list goes on.
You actually are right there are multiple forms of corrosion. Though why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to join steel parts with aluminum.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 22, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

Why indeed?
What sort of insanity was that? Corrosion chemistry has been around since the turn of the century. Its not like its a novel concept that the boat was going to rust without intervention at that point.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kachunkachunk posted:

It also matters a lot on a vehicle if the entire frame including engine block serves as a ground for electrics, hence the possibility/consideration for galvanization.

Edit: Agreeing with you!
No it actually doesn't. Bimetallic corrosion only needs two metals substantially different on the galvanic series and a wet damp environment for it to occur.

quote:

well, I hear aluminum engine blocks and transmission housings are the bees knees, but at some point you need to bolt them to a steel frame somehow... or for that matter bolt them to anything!
Actually the best way to avoid this type of corrosion is to deliberately pick which materials to join to eliminate it right off the start. That is why you actually coat the bolts in cadmium because its close enough to aluminum that you don't get a substantial amount of potential difference to cause rust as opposed to zinc which generally is designed to rust on purpose.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Boomerjinks posted:

loving amateur night up in here...

But now we're turning this thread into the other thread.

Interesting fact about the Landmaster. There actually is a patent by Lockhead for that wheel configuration.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Guinness posted:

I and my friend group are all mid 20s to early 30s city dwellers, and it's funny how some of my friends who were once vehemently anti-car-ownership changed their stance once they finally found some "real" jobs and could afford one. The unfortunate thing is that it took some of them several years out of school to get anything resembling a "real" job despite their best efforts.

While it is true that living in a city gives you a lot of good alternatives to car ownership, I think it really is that young adults are, in general, economically hosed and just plain can't afford to own, operate, maintain, insure, and fuel a car on top of life's other expenses and it's easier to save face with noble reasons to justify why they don't own a car other than "I'm poor".

What city do you live in because you really are understating how much of a pain in the rear end it is to own a car in certain cities? Admittedly, it doesn't help that my first car I want to own would effectively require having access to a fully kitted out car shop to get it back into what would be working condition if my hunches about it are correct.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kenny Rogers posted:

Exactly. When I lived in Arizona, I lived on Center Street in Mesa, and worked at the SRP building off the 202.
Honestly, I would still consider that the middle of nowhere. Admittedly my criteria is a bit off as I lived in New York where the suburban sprawl is a bit more insane as it spans quite a few states and out populates cities like Mesa.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 17, 2013