Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

That sure looks like an Alabama license plate, if I had to guess he didn't want the bugs divebombing him constantly while he worked on it.

Wisconsin plates. I wonder if the same still applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rhyno posted:

"Baby Phantom", "Baby Rolls", "Baby Royce." None of those roll off the tongue like "Baby Bentley." You guys can hate on it all you want, I do too, but it is a thing. poo poo, just look at loving Car Domain.

Something about the mesh grille and the chunky profile that makes these cars wonderful candidates for the "Baby Bentley"/"Baby Rolls" treatment, usually by people who could never afford anything remotely approaching a Bentley/Rolls Royce, yet aspire to owning such vehicles. And what better way to do that than with a grille swap/badge swap/body kit?

Basically, the same mindset that thought Ferrari 355s made from MR2s and 308GTBs and Testarossas made from Fieros were a great idea.

Hashal posted:

I get a wanna-be rapper vibe from them, trying to pretend they have the cars that were rented in the music videos.

This, too. Considering how cars are depreciating assets by and large, you'd think rappers who actually had any sort of money be glad to just rent the damned things and keep banking cash.....eh, who am I kidding?

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 16, 2013

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

jamal posted:

It's not a Mitsubishi by the way.

Judging from the greenhouse and right-hand drive, it's either a Mitsubishi Mirage coupe or a Proton Wira (same thing).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Is this where I can post terrible redneck-rigged car stuff that's sure to cause serious injury and/or death?

:nws: disclaimer because Liveleak: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e07_1385591320 :nws:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

heyou posted:

Is this what you all were thinking of?

Found it while looking for another picture and thought of this thread. Pretty sure I got these from AI, but a long time ago.

How to Knock Thousands Off Your Mustang's Resale Value, Volume One

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Slavvy posted:

The fact that it's slightly worse than the jeep I6 was covered by my statement that it's "GM's version of", because GM's take on practically anything besides the pushrod v8 is shittier than the industry norm.

Explains why anything GM makes involving four cylinders turns out to be unadulterated poo poo. Iron Duke/Tech4, anyone?

H1KE posted:

Oh well hey, that's not so ba...

Oh look, geniuses put the thermostat in the back of the motor. Where no one but the service reps can get to it.

Still comes nowhere close to topping this:

:stonklol:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I've made it a rule of mine to only seek out 3800s (usually in series I or LN3 form) whenever looking for cheap GM beaters. Maybe a 3.3-liter (closely related). Those engines usually last longer than the cars they're shoved in.

animeliker posted:

The Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 in the Chrysler Vans (and some other cars) is another example of a tough (but not good, uh, at all) engine. They start burn oil and ticking around 50,000km but will run for the next 300,000. Bizarrely, most of the 80s Chrysler Vans I see running around seem to all have that V6, despite the Mitsubishi engines generally bad reputation.

It's been a while since I've seen any V6-powereed Mitsubishi, Mazda or Acura trail blue smoke. That used to be one of the hallmarks of owning a Japanese beater.

Now it's just "JDM" body kits and these loving things:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

DJ Commie posted:

They could never package anything without insane complexity.

:911:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

InitialDave posted:

You guys need to find the garage that did the last MOT on my Discovery.

Or live in a state that doesn't do inspections.

Disclaimer: it's probably a poo poo state.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Aurune posted:

You'd think the giant "OVERHEIGHT WHEN FLASHING" sign would be enough... but no.

From what I've heard, the locals all know about this sign, but the out-of-towners don't believe that 11'8" means exactly that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Das Volk posted:

Home-made slicks are all the rage here.

Slavvy posted:

Something tells me that tyre is only going to be replaced when the tyre shop refuses to fix the puncture spectacularly flies apart and sends that car careening towards the concrete divider, while the steel-belted remains smack the windshield of the car behind it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Kwik posted:

If I showed some friends of mine that, their biggest gripe would be the new NY yellow and blue plates. When I got my new car in January, the dealer actually apologized in advance that all they had were the yellow plates. I don't know why, but apparently there has been quite the negative reaction to them- I kind of like 'em. Though, those plates on that car can make me see the negative argument.

Because they look like poo poo when compared to this:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nearly every single one of Indiana's plates qualify as terrible car stuff.

Still no clue why people with no earthly clue about suspensions are so insistent on doing these hack jobs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CommieGIR posted:

I liked my 87 Audi's digital dash, shame the flexible circuit boards they used were utter poo poo.

Lexus Optitron gauges ftw.

I miss my LS400. :smith:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I posted this the other day in the mech failures thread, thought it deserved a spot here too.

I futzed with the values a bit, but if you turn up your monitor you can see the extent of the damage better. FWIW, this car is driven often enough that I do not see it in the same spot parked. This is also in VA, where we do have annual inspections.

I regret not having my camera with me upon seeing the world's rustiest Sprinter van.

Of course, it bore an Ohio tag. :allears:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

Why a loving geo?

The paint scheme is probably the only terrible thing about this car.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A Melted Tarp posted:

You weren't alive during the late '80s to early '90s were you? Every cool "custom" car had a similar paint scheme.

I was and it's still terrible. :colbert: Feels like I'm having a Trapper Keeper flashback.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mister Kingdom posted:

Have there ever been any decent cars made by a US/foreign merger or collaboration?

But I'm not sure if rebadges count.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well, I guess it was the dealer all along! We were going to get a Honda for the next vehicle but thanks to this thread my faith in Chrysler has been restored.

Just get the Honda. You'll thank yourself shortly afterward and wonder why you even bought that POS Dodge in the first place.

And this comes from someone with a tiny soft spot for Chrysler.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Throatwarbler posted:

Well that got weird rather quickly.

I posted this in the chat thread but no one cared. :emo:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140721/LEGALFILE/307219975/selling-vehicles-for-export-angers-automakers-but-is-it-illegal

Apparently BMW's nonsense naming/engine displacement scheme is some kind of trap to expose straw buyers. :v:

So I guess it's back to buying stolen BMWs and Land Rovers smuggled out of the country in shipping containers.

Some people might find this terrible for some reason, but that's mostly subjective, right?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Burn it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darchangel posted:

Also, see the F-88, which would have eaten the Corvette's lunch if Chevy hadn't been a whiny bitch to Mama GM and gotten it killed.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-...taldisplayed=50

Full disclosure: I currently own a 1970 Olds Cutlass S Sports Coupe (post coupe), and while not a complete Olds nut, I know quite a bit about them because I have a tendency to delve into the history of every car I own.

Sorry. Killing the F-88 was a good thing, as it would have just devolved into another personal luxury barge like the Thunderbird did throughout the 60s and 70s. :colbert:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wally Joyner posted:

What a nice place to do exhaust work snag a catalytic converter from. :getin:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It gets brought up every time someone mentions power density but the 500 cubic inch (8.2 L) Cadillac V8 made 190 SAE [s]gross/s] net HP in 1976, a whopping 23 hp/L.

E: You could get this engine in a car weighing 5,236 lbs

The hp/L might have been slightly more with the later Olds 307 found in the Cadillac Brougham, but having 140 hp and 250 lb ft on tap gave it limp-dick performance. It was the only car I could never do at least a one-wheel peel in. :(

Fucknag posted:

Hilarious that GM's two best engines are based on 50+ year old designs.

GM tends to stumble on good engine designs. Sorta like a squirrel that gouged its own eyeballs stumbling over an acorn or two.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Yeah but ziplock bags are a fraction of a penny and reveal clean mirrors in two seconds :v:

That's poor people thinking. You're thinking like a poor person. :colbert:

Once saw a MB/Dodge Sprinter with Ohio plates that looked worse. To this day, I wish I could have gotten a pic of it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

88h88 posted:

He was probably tailgating because his bonnet is so tall he can't see the road from the end of it until about 30' in front of him...

What I wouldn't do for a handful of caltrops for this situation.

Then I remember I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that poo poo, either (or anything else for that matter. Road rage is a bitch).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

88h88 posted:

And at the bottom, a video of the beast getting owned by a transition from driveway to pavement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BvABn7L_So

That's not the beast.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So this is what a neighborhood without an HOA looks like.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

angryhampster posted:

What's that..decently kept lawns and a few cars in the drive?

You're adorable. :allears:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I wouldn't want to buy one but we got stuck with a town & country on a business trip once in long beach. That's the only car to my knowledge where the air conditioning was so cold I was actually uncomfortable. In southern freaking California. In the summer time. :stare:

I know first-hand that a first-gen Lexus LS400's air conditioning actually opens a portal to a remote location in Antarctica, allowing it to deliver stupendously cold air even in the middle of a withering Florida summer's day. God I miss that car.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Safety Dance posted:

It's not like it costs a lot (if anything) to get a plate replaced. Just a few hours' headache at that.

And a license plate thief isn't exactly bound and determined to steal *your* plate. He's either walking around with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers. In the former case, hex head bolts (or, let's be honest, even using all four screws) will make him move to the next car. In the latter case, it doesn't matter what you use; if the plate isn't riveted to the car, he'll get it.

In my experience, it's usually the reg stickers they're after. Mom had hers stolen by one of the local crack connoisseurs. The usual anti-theft measure is to cut an X or two across the sticker with a razor blade so it'll never come off in one piece. Gotta make those junkies work for it.

Code Jockey posted:

One of the things I really miss about my Grand Prix is the A/C. Dual zone climate was nice since my wife and I are totally opposite temperature wise, and holy poo poo was the A/C cold. The CX-5 isn't bad, but I couldn't keep the Grand Prix at 100% cold for very long, and I love it cold.

Nearly every domestic used car I've bought came with inop A/C. Went to the trouble of having it fixed on a couple, but it'd only last for a summer or two.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Linedance posted:

I'm sorry, where?

You're supposed to pick up your smartphone and dial roadside assistance, you dirty poor.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

1992 "packard" crown vic

I always wonder if the owner feels self-conscious about driving the equivalent of this:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PCOS Bill posted:

Isn't that a Festiva?

Haha, no.

Hyundai Excel.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

My soul threw up a little.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

RIP 1 of ~1400 glass roof continental coupe

Bet that leaked like a motherfucker towards the end.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

No, i sedan you just unbolt the motor mounts and rotate the engine forward.

A W-body GM requires this.

An H-body, on the other hand, has just enough space to reach back there with a socket. Don't ask me how I know this.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

I found something worse than a bentley grille on a chrysler 300..... :(

:monocle:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Fabulousity posted:

I don't have a picture of one handy but just thought I'd ask what the deal is with this minor trend I've been seeing around Seattle lately: Various GM W body cars with giant 22+ inch rims. Is there a reason this has become some sort of mini thing or am I just commuting through a small localized anomaly? I've seen at least four Luminas (especially a notable bright green one) and a three early aught Impalas including a broken down one this morning over the past few months. The busted down one this week was cute with all the peeled paint everywhere, various dents and scrapes, and four gigantic fresh-off-the-shelf chrome rims. Is there a reason it's fashionable to strap wheels to what are really bad to mediocre American cars made in the mid nineties to early 00s?

The supply of cheap RWD B-body GM cars have been drying up, so the cash-strapped end of the Donk culture's moving on to W-bodies (Regal, Grand Prix, Impala), H-bodies (Bonneville, Eighty-Eight, LeSabre) and even A-bodies (think pre-97 Century, Cutlass Ciera).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

neckbeard posted:

carry over from previous generations, it was really weak in the 90s, didn't get above 200HP until 2005

Historically, base Mustangs came with the same straight-six engines you'd find under the hood of Falcons, right up until the Mustang II period, when the base engine became the same four-pot as you'd find in the Pinto.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bajaha posted:

He was apparantly trying to deal with a spider :catstare:

Spiders deserve fire. Just not in a way that would screw yourself or others around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

Non car people are just so bad at cars it is staggering.

Non-car people are more concerned about the status that having a certain brand or badge offers. I owned an old Lexus LS400 back in 2007. Just saying the words "I have a Lexus" got people oohing and ahhing, regardless of how old and scuffed up it was.