Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Memento posted:

loving hell

Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

So you guys are saying that Subaru is the terrible car stuff? :allears:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

From the "What the gently caress is this bullshit!?" department.

No your eyes do not deceive you, that is in fact the starter hiding inside the transmission bellhousing :stare: .

I have no idea what vehicle this is from, found it on reddit somewhere.

Good golly; I thought internally mounted clutch slave cylinders were dumb enough but an internally mounted starter tops that imo. That's right up there with BMW putting coolant passage covers on the back of the engine block inside the transmission bellhousing. Never change european automotive engineers :allears:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Someone please make this a mod in american truck simulator, thanks in advance.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Would it not be a saloon, perhaps?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

I'm still looking for a late 80s cadillac brougham sedan in good shape for a not ridiculous price. The 5 litre will be replaced with an LS because why not?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

Still can't wrap my head around the new Blazer being worth anywhere near north of $40k.

Having spent a few months at a chevy dealership, their pricing on new SUVs is almost entirely detached from reality. The new Blazers are overpriced and feel to me as just another superfluous small SUV with no identifiable market segment just to keep the 'Blazer' name tag adjacent to the realm of public recognition. Along with the new Trailblazer (which when you see one in person good golly what an ugly mess) they're not flying off the dealership lot by any means.

That doesn't even touch on the ridiculous pricing of the new 2020 Tahoe and the distinct lack of features you get for what amounts to a premium price for a basic model mid/large size SUV. Having done several pre-delivery inspections of Tahoes I was blown away by the sticker price and the dearth of what you would expect to be standard features for the prices that are being listed.

New Chevrolets; truly terrible car stuff.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Also dealers are making more on selling loans than the vehicles themselves so if you go in as a cash buyer they really don’t care and won’t give you more off.

Used is the same. The margin on the car is nothing but if they can sell it with a loan then :getin:

This point about used vehicle margins isn't exactly true.

It's well known that new sedans and economy cars have razor-thin profit margins and that SUVs and trucks are where manufacturers/dealers have higher profit margins (which goes to explaining the ridiculous pricing and is arguably a boon with the shift in consumer desire for those more profitable crossovers/SUVs/trucks).

Used vehicles on the other hand are where dealers generally find higher margins by offering low trade-in value and leveraging that to make profit on the 'retail' price spread on the lot. There is also profit to be made on used cars acquired at auction for wholesale prices and then flipping them for the 'market' price. Getting someone in a used car with in-house financing as said is just another cherry on top of the sundae.

All this to say the terrible car stuff is really dealerships imo (full disclosure: I work for a dealership.) For the vast majority of carbuyers I think the dealership model is outdated and is overall more of a harm to consumers than it is a service that provides a value. I can see a reason for dealers to exist for the edge cases (read: exotic and high-end luxury cars) but overall there has to be a better way to provide a portal between consumers and manufacturers for most automobiles.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Guinness posted:

Nobody actually pays anywhere near MSRP for domestic luxo-trucks though, right?

Oh who am I kidding most buyers probably pay full sticker and have poo poo financing terms.

The MSRP is just a starting point and once you get manufacturer incentives/dealer cash and rebates you won't pay MSRP (i hope) but you're not in a bad spot if you're close to dealer invoice price before financing.

The last part is where you nailed it, really. Long term loans with questionable interest and other sorts of monetary fuckery is really where the consumer gets dicked over and ends up paying way more than the vehicle would ever be worth. I've met and talked with some real shady pieces of poo poo that have used questionable financing to fleece unsuspecting/ignorant consumers where the customer ends up paying for two trucks by the time they get done financing the truck they left the dealership with. Those are the sorts of fucksticks that should be defenestrated; lining their own pockets at the expense of their fellow man in an immoral and unethical way.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

You can resurface the flywheel but if there's a lot of heat checking or cracking on the clutch-facing surface it's better to replace while you're in there.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Rorac posted:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/alsip-1985-cadillac-seville/7171112880.html

While I respect the dedication to a complete aesthetic style, the aesthetic style is poo poo.

Ugh that's depressing; I love the look of those bustleback Sevilles but that one is just all kinds of hosed up :(

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Humphreys posted:

But did you turn into an Audi driver?

As a technician who spent years wrenching on BMWs this made me cackle like an animal in the shop this morning; thank you.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

https://twitter.com/gatimutianiki/status/1302447045370765312?s=19

The stung by bees bodywork is enough by itself but those hand carved butt grooves are on another level.

I'm the smaller speakers that are mounted proud of the wood paneling while the larger speakers are mounted behind the wood panel

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

bonelessdongs posted:

Also we may laugh but didn't GM have an official "fix" for the early northstars that involved compressed bits of wood pulp getting added to the coolant?

Something something ginger root something something coolant sealing tabs who cares it's just a lovely northstar lmaoooo

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

xzzy posted:

Just buy the older game, Mudrunner. It's on steam, is cheap, and is the exact same mechanics with mud instead of snow.

Mudrunner is good but it's not as refined as Snowrunner in game progression and mission/world progression aspects. Not even close. I say this as an ardent fan of Mudrunner and Spintires both of which I believe are great games in their own right (with some legitimate criticisms and concerns) but Snowrunner is so far the pinnacle of the 'Trucks vs. The Elements' recipe.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Will.je.suis' cars are designed and built by kids in programs he runs for community college students in low income areas so it's actually a pretty nice thing he does.

They're still ugly as poo poo though

Yeah you're gonna have to source your quotes on that one bud; Motor Trend says his C1 corvette with the C6 interior was done at WCCustoms as well as his re-bodied Delorean and his Beetlebomination started at a small shop before being 'finished' by WCCustoms (which Jalopnik says took 2 years after being at the first shop for the better part of a year because dude is fickle as gently caress).

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Gomi Day posted:

i just looked up will.i.am's tesla for the first time and... and i kinda like it.

i feel dirty and bad.

I don't have any room to throw shade goonbro; my broke brain loves 80s cadillacs. Literally the worst car stuff in the history of car stuff but god drat you show me a bustleback seville or a brougham d'elegance and I get some funny feelings in my naughty place.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

STR posted:

Nothing wrong with a good Olds motor, but I guess there's a reason you don't see many of these Caddies, even in junkyards, anymore. The HT4100 was a pile of poo poo, and I'd imagine the bellhousing adapter you'd need to bolt up to the stock transaxle would move the engine far enough that you're looking at quite a bit of fab work.

My high school car was a red-on-red 86' coupe deville with velour interior and I still lust after another one but the point about the HT4100 is too true. I wonder how hard it would even be to get an ecotec 4-banger to fit since the original engines are such trash. The higher trim level Chevy Malibus use the 2.0L LTG turbo-4 engine in a front wheel drive configuration which pushes out 250hp in the Malibu but the same engine is rated for close to 275hp in the Cadillac ATS4 (which is a RWD configuration), either of which is a huge step up from the supremely underpowered 4100. It's so crazy it just might work!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff. Talking myself into pissing away thousands of dollars and an extremely excessive amount of my time and energy to build up an arguably worthless example of 80's GM trash with the newer heart of also bad GM trash for literally no reason other then my broke brain giving me these awful ideas is terrible car stuff.

Now if I could get a 89 brougham with the RWD 5.0 buick and slam an LS in it, that sounds much more reasonable and less likely to end in financial and mental ruin......:thunk:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Darchangel posted:

They never had a 5.0 Buick. In fact, there never was a 5.0 Buick that I'm aware of. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 307 Olds that GM used in everything RWD in the late '70s-early'80s?

You are right; I'm not sure where I ever heard that it was a buick powerplant. Probably some piece of misinformation that I picked up online years ago that was never corrected until now.

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 10, 2020

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Gomi Day posted:

folks were talking about bustlebacks and weird caddies a week or so ago which is why this thread immediately came to mind when this popped up on my twitter feed a moment ago.

https://twitter.com/robemslie/status/1332572361233612801

i would argue this to be the wrong thread, however.

Uhh......wow. I don't have words for this one. This particular automotive mashup is endlessly perplexing.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Not very mobile right now, are they? :v:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Change the wheels on that Eclipse and I'd whip it.

*edit because I was beaten by a minute on the clock thing. Terrible but also funny, I present to you Japan's take on turbofans.

https://twitter.com/YAMA_Mikan0308/status/1366589372363993091?s=19

I know this is the terrible car thread but this is a terrible car fad that I desperately hope catches on. I unabashedly enjoy that aesthetic.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Dumbasses not realising the weight might be more to the back after generations of front engined corvettes?

It's this; dumbasses not realizing the weight distribution has changed with the new design.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I've had coworkers verbally give me torque specs that were half of what they should have been. This was when I worked on airplanes. Check documentation every time.

We recently had a guy cold call the dealership wanting to ask a tech about torque specs for doing some service on his F250 and I was glad to answer all his questions about oil pan bolt torque and rear diff cover specs because even if I wasn't getting paid I was just happy that somebody gave enough of a poo poo to actually ask the right questions.

I hope his truck takes as much care of him as he does it! That's my ~not~ terrible car story of the day.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Memento posted:

That's the BMW m-series stripe colours, right?

Correct.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't know, this is in the realms of being so terrible that it might just be awesome.

Please seek help for your broke brain :(

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love being drunk and don't get hangovers unless I get black out wasted. It's a bit of a problem.

These days it's way safer to uber home then uber back to get your car.

Or just get yourself a chinese uber where the guy shows up on an e-bike which he folds up and tosses in your trunk and he drives your drunk asses from the club to some late night munchies and then back to your hotel.

Source: partying at one of the biggest nightclubs in Shenyang when visiting friends for a wedding

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Ford will continue to put the keypad on as long as boomers still exist because it is a feature that sells cars.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

The terrible car stuff is coming from within the thread.

Spooky

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's a 69% chance the climate control will be permanently stuck on 69 degrees 69 days after the warranty is up, costing $690 to fix

You forgot the $4.20 in shop supplies on the repair order my dude :imunfunny:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Can confirm the 4.4L twin turbo V8 N63 engine from BMW is crap and should be avoided.

Source: 5 years in an independent BMW shop

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

wankel13b posted:

It feels really good when it works.

European car ownership summarized in one brief statement.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

You know what goons say about the terrible car stuff coming from within the thread?

Mistakes have been made. Please send mental health professionals because I've made a terrible decision.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Powershift posted:

What is this, some sort of deviled coupe?

:biglips:

don't worry there will be a thread to chronicle the terribleness

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Here's another sneak peek for terrible car stuff thread.

Mmmmm, nothing screams 80s american 'luxury' like rotted out rear air shock bellows...

Oh geez, those are going to have to be dealt with...

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If those are OEM on a 30+ year old car and only now need replacing I'd say you had done exceptionally well.

This is a 1986 coupe deville that I got at auction for the low low price of 505 american funbux. It was owned by an elderly gentleman and his wife drove the vehicle until she passed away. It sat in a garage until the man passed away. His daughter attempted to sell the car two years ago after he passed away but she was asking almost 4200$ for a vehicle that wasn't running from sitting and only broke brain dummies like me would actually be interested in. The estate just recently went to auction and I was the unfortunate high bidder. The vehicle is dead and it has the digital dash so I don't know the exact mileage yet but the last oil sticker says 154k in 2007 and the DOT codes on the tires are from late 2006 so this vehicle could very well have been sitting for up to 13 years. This is what my auto tech training picked up as well as chatting up the next door neighbor and also the very limited amount of information I gleaned from the auction manager when I was waiting for the tow truck to show up. Either way I'm sure that the air struts were rotted out well before I got here, as the 86 coupe deville I had in high school had cracked air strut bellows before I even owned it in the mid to late aughts.

(Yes, you read that right. I had one of these awful cars in high school and didn't learn my lesson back then, so here we go again.)

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 27, 2021

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Did you change your username for this car, or are you just repping Coupe de Villes for life?

My username is based off of my high school coupe that I had! My coupe was red with a red vinyl top and red velour interior. For a teenager in the midwest it was pretty sweet and made for an awesome rolling cannabis parlour. So that's why my online handle has always been coupedeville. I love 80s shitbox cadillacs. My dream garage would have an 86 coupe deville, a bustleback seville and a fleetwood brougham because my brain is profoundly broken with regards to automotive passion.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

I'd be careful about that; there must be an empty padded cell with my name on it because why else would I desire such terrible, awful forms of personal transportation except for severe mental trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Midjack posted:

Never apologize for liking something.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not apologizing for my passion for weird cadillacs but rather lamenting the fact that I couldn't like something normal like mustangs or miatas like the rest of you guys.