Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw this guy today.

Not the best angle, but essentially only about 1/3 of the tire was actually inside the wheel well. Both sides were like that, too. He was driving about 20mph, so I ended up passing him and continuing on my way. Half a minute later, a police cruiser passed me going the opposite direction. As the cop gets in sight of this joker, I catch a sudden glimpse of :siren::siren: in my mirror. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Paul Boz_ posted:

I saw one in Baton Rouge the other day that said "Fighting terrorism since 1861" with the confederate flag on it. What's really sad is that there were two little kids in the van so I know how they're being raised.

That reminds me of a shirt I used to see around Arizona a lot -- an old photograph of Geronimo and his band, standing defiantly with rifles, captioned "Homeland Security: Fighting Terrorism since 1492."

I kind of like that one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not all that uncommon around here, but usually they at least take off the original spoiler before mounting the bookshelf.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't understand the black guy's statement about "black guys don't mix with explosions." Is that a thing? Is there something that makes black people less compatible with explosions than other ethnicities?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

InitialDave posted:

One of my favourites was the rowdy little Daihatsu kei car, the Mira Avanzato TR-XX R4. Nothing like a few Rs and Xs to let you know we popped a few chillies into the mix for this one.

My personal favorite is the 1994-6 Honda CBR250RR(R). I guess when your entry into what most people consider the entry-level motorcycle displacement range has a 16-valve inline 4 with a 19,000 RPM redline, you gotta indicate that somehow.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 19, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

The drivers of 'higher-end' cars often aren't rich people, they're people who are in hock up to their eyeballs, or got a great deal used. And people with lots of money often drive cheap shitboxes, because they're frugal, which is why they have lots of money.

I saw an absolutely pristine Escalade with 24" wheels and like nine DVD screens inside parked at the cheapo laundromat in a kind of lovely area where I go when I need a commercial washer. Why would you buy an Escalade before you buy a washing machine? :iiam:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FuzzKill posted:

I couldn`t be arsed to remove the intake manifold to remove the metal particles, so when everything was finished I got behind the wheel, started the car and revved it to blow the shavings and **** out of the exhaust.
apparently that worked, engine is running fine.

There isn't a :stare: big enough.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's nothing. The first thing that could be classified as an internal combustion engine, which was invented by the same brothers who invented photography, ran on powdered moss and was ignited by a fuse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyr%C3%A9olophore

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 29, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How long does it take for salvage rights to kick in? I bet you could force that hood off pretty quickly and help yourself to electrics and a turbo.

A lot longer than "this vehicle is abandoned" laws to kick in, unfortunately. Usually it's only a couple of weeks to a month to get a car towed, but it's several years before you can just claim it as your own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I've been driving around for about 3 weeks in Phoenix and I've encountered maybe two actual functional roundabouts.

Head up to Sedona -- the main drag up hwy 179 there has like ten of them in a row for no apparent reason (other than how people from Sedona have to be different and special).

(Also the road up 89A through Oak Creek cyn to Flagstaff is really gorgeous)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 10, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gileadexile posted:

:shrug:

Dunno dude. At first I thought somebody watched Cannonball Run and decided that a car painted with radar relective paint was something they wanted in their life. But then I remembered that radar reflective paint is kinda expensive and this being an early 2000s Solara, this was probably not what they were going for.

Isn't radar-reflective paint, you know, the exact opposite of what you actually want on your car? Unless your vehicle is shaped like a stealth fighter, all that reflected energy is going straight back to the transceiver. What you want is radar-absorbent paint. :science:

(which is basically just fluidized iron filings, so it is really expensive and weighs an enormous amount and wears off in bad weather and requires amazingly toxic solvents to apply so yeah)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It does. Didn't you see the sparkly lights on the ceiling and the automatically retracting iPad holders in the seats?

I like when he says "Eterniti Motors has been developing luxury vehicles for 18 months."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

A few more pics of the above abortion:

I can't stop cracking up at this picture. Holy poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kill-9 posted:

Saw this on the way into work this morning.

Roof rack cross bars are so expensive, I'm just gonna whip up something using whatever 2x4s and u-bolts I have lying around the garage. Now that looks good!

Hey now, there's a long and time-honored tradition of building roof racks out of 2x4s. And you're drat right they whistle like hell, that's part of the charm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Google Translate version of that page is blowing my mind.

quote:

Cross truck hit while trying to turn. Machine is not cool.

quote:

The right-hand side just a little bit of custom, that gave us hope and restore the banana

quote:

The back of the threshold generally boiled

quote:

A skeleton car fill up on the stand
and tries to fix it there ...

quote:

Sufficient at the rear spar and remove the taste of banana on

quote:

Now, with a horrible screeching drag balances sex

quote:

Hands reach for the grinder again, she screams a while now and there is no roof in Tucson

It's like a beautiful dadaist poem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BoostCreep posted:

What is a funny prank to one person is $1,500 to someone else.

Once while walking around downtown Phoenix late at night I heard a smashing noise up ahead. Turned a corner and saw, down the road, two hoodlums (maybe 15-17 years old) going down the street and kicking the side mirrors off of every parked car in their path. They'd jump-kick one after the other after the other. They'd hit about a dozen cars that I could see, for absolutely no reason other than to be little shits.

I called the cops and told them exactly what was happening, but the kids noticed me on my phone and pretty quickly took off between some buildings so I don't know if they were caught. I wasn't able to stay around to see but I kind of wish I could have.

Little shits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

Someone who has had their cat stolen multiple times, I would guess.

http://www.catclamp.com/faqs.html

:smugdog: Motorcycle-without-any-exhaust-cleaning-equipment supremacy

All I have to deal with is stuff like how last time I parked the bike outside overnight someone dumped a bright red slurpee all over the seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Why do people do this? Why?! Does it not already say "SRT8" and "Hemi" on the car a bajillion times? Why do people pay extra for an plate that says what is already very apparent?

edit:
VVVVVVV
:psyboom:

I always assume these are people who are simultaneously really rich, really smug, and incredibly uncreative. It costs more to get a vanity plate, so obviously they need one, but they can't think of anything to put on it, so they just put the name of the car. As a bonus it is another location they can brag about how much their car cost. Win-win-win!

It doesn't explain the guy who I see driving around sometimes with "78 TR7" but there's always gonna be some exceptions I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Fun fact that is also terrible car stuff.

This is from a zillion pages ago but I think it's important to point out that not only was "Corinthian leather" made in New Jersey, it also wasn't actually leather (it was a synthetic made from vinyl), and Corinth has never been known for the quality of its leatherwork.

veedubfreak posted:

Emblems should never be added to a car, emblems are merely to annoy people when they buy a new car and have to remove stupid poo poo that should have never been attached to the car.

Say, what do you think of the dealers who glue their own 3D faux-chrome plastic emblems to every car they sell? Personally I like them because otherwise there's no way my neighbors would know I bought the HANK TAYLOR AUTOMALL edition.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Not surprised. I've been stuck on the shoulder and had the entire car rock violently when an 18 wheeler blew by. I've also been pushed almost out of my lane by an 18 wheeler hauling much more rear end than I was.

They move an incredible amount of air. When I'm riding my motorcycle on the interstate and I pass an 18-wheeler in the next lane, there's a distinct wall of air-blast roughly beside the cab's mirrors. You cruise alongside the box at a steady speed and throttle, then hit that zone and it's like a force field or something. It holds you back and gives you a good boot towards the outside. Have to add throttle to punch through it, and then it's instantly back to the way it was before you got to the truck. Pretty creepy if you're not expecting it.

vvv well, yeah, I feel it in my car, but it's a whole lot more...visceral...when you and the vehicle together weigh about 550 pounds and a sideways force induces a turn :unsmigghh:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 19, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Manufacturer supplied jacks are a loving joke.

When I was in college, I used exclusively the OEM jack and OEM 8 inch lug wrench from my shitbox MX-3 (ok, and a $20 Canadian Tire torque wrench) to swap between winter and all-season tires three years running, and to do at least two roadside tire changes too. :colbert:

On an unrelated note, doing a job with the right tools after doing it the wrong way forever is like, better than sex.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dissss posted:

What else would you use that space for?

Beer, obviously.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

In the new Chrysler 200 "America's Import" commercials they keep showing this bullshit like it's some huge deal that the removed the shifter and put in a selector. That's all we need is more room for hambeasts to put giant drinks between the seats.

To me, there is nothing more American than those ridiculous fast food ultra-large cups that hold half a gallon of soda or whatever, with the little normal-sized bottom that fits in the cup holder, ballooning out to like six inches across right above. You get to consume as much sugar water as possible without having to lever yourself out of the car because the cup won't fit inside. :911:

I once stopped at a QuikTrip that was having a promotion -- any size soda for 88 cents. I filled up a 20oz cup and brought it to the cash.

"Oh, it's, uh, any size for 88 cents right now."
"Yeah, I saw."
"Well I mean you could get a bigger one, it's the same price."
"I know, but I only want this much."
"But -- it's a better deal. Seriously, you can get the 44 ounce cup and it's still only 88 cents."
"Yeah, but I don't...never mind. This is what I want."
(shrugs) "Okay, your choice"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Edsel had it all figured out with pushbuttons. Everyone loves buttons. But they're a little out of date these days. Maybe buttons on a touchscreen inside? Or no, wait, I've got it -- gestures! Swipe up to shift up, pinch to put it in sport mode, draw a circle for the ignition. It's gold. I'm going to the patent office right now.

e: it was already patented, look for it in MY2017

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 20, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

And in the doing it wrong departent, this thing is STILL for sale for 50 grand.

For some reason, I just see this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also modern cars are still made of steel anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carteret posted:

That sounds like the correct way to do it, honestly. :shrug:

It is. I don't know of any bikes that are designed to be filled while on the side-stand; it's like trying to fill a bucket to the brim while it's tilted.

I fill up while on the bike, balancing it upright, about two thirds of the time. The rest of the time I put it on the center stand so I can check the oil at the same time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That one at 2:35 did NOT go the way I was expecting :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I ever wrapped my car, I'd do it with that super-bright 3M SOLAS retroreflective vinyl. Turn the entire car into one giant retroreflector. You think you can just shine your headlamps on ME??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soarer posted:

Snapped this today in Seattle. Ride the Ducks truck just rolled right over the poor Civic.

Huh. Looks like a Del Sol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The problem with a modern midrange high-performance car is that they don't feel fast when they're going fast. Get in a modern BMW and floor it on the highway and you'll hit a hundred miles an hour and it'll be quiet and smooth and feel like you're going sixty. Which is great if you want to cruise at 100mph in comfort, but sucky if you want to feel like you're going fast and not go to jail.

You want the opposite -- something that feels fast when driven at normal speeds. I've never been more terrified and felt like I was going faster than the time I took an old MG Midget on I-80. Redline in fourth gear and we were just touching 70mph, wind screaming by, the whole car rattling and feeling like it was going to rapidly disassemble itself at any moment. :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MetaJew posted:

For that matter, why do they put such large diameter wheels on them? If they really wanted low rolling resistance, and efficiency, wouldn't it make more sense to put on some 15-16" lightweight wheel ?

Fashion, 100%.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

They did a pretty good job 50 years ago when no one gave a poo poo about aerodynamics. :v:

Eh, there were plenty of aerodynamic cars 50 years ago. Lotuses, Ferraris, Jaguars, etc. Maybe not as perfectly optimized as something modern with a Kamm back and air dams and vortex generators and all that, but I bet an E-type still has a better Cd than a modern Corolla or whatever.

No, the main thing that's killed elegant cars I think is the need to have three inches of airbags and sound dampening behind every piece of sheet metal, and pedestrian impact standards that have eliminated all pointy bits and sharp edges.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Individual button positions can be learned through muscle memory and later accessed by feel without taking your eyes off the road.

An interface using a general-purpose scroll wheel and screen-based soft keys always requires some visual attention to operate, because you have no other way of knowing what mode it's in and what a given motion is going to produce.

Why do you think airliners still stick individual physical toggle switches all over everything? Surely the designers had the money and the expertise to put everything into a nice screen-based menu-driven system, right?

"Ergonomics" just means "the study of work," i.e. the study of how people do things. Good ergonomics means you've optimized the way someone performs a task, taking into account the full context of the person and the environment. It's not necessarily going to be the prettiest or most hardware-efficient way (though those often enter into it), but it should be the most reliable and easiest to perform under the widest range of conditions.

e: if your post was sarcastic well i dun got trolled good what now tell you don'ch

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 3, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Except airliners have the ability to fill their entire cockpit with switches, including behind, overhead, and even beside the driver(s), cars need to located everything in-front and within arms reach

Sure, but half of those switches are only used once or twice in the flight and then ignored. Could easily be put into software. They don't do that, instead spreading them out all over the cockpit, because it lets the pilots know with a single glance (or feel, if need be) what state the switch is in. In an emergency, that's critical.

Or to take another example from aircraft, look at a combat jet's HOTAS system.

Notice how every single button and switch has a different shape from all of the others? They do that so that a fighter pilot in combat can immediately know what control he's pressing without looking. That is proper ergonomic design for a situation where you want to maximize the operator's attention on the task.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've always thought that an RX-8 with one of the later BPs would make a nice sporty efficient daily driver. Maybe someday when I have the money I'll try it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Reminded me more of a dirt bike than a fart

Seems appropriate -- the wankel engine always seemed to me like it couldn't decide whether it was a two-stroke or a four.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still think an RX-8 with a BPD in it would be a lot of fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

Show up with a fist full of money. Have a price you want to pay. Well I only brought X much.

dicker until you are either happy with the price, or go home.

This is what works for me! Just tell the guy outright and be blunt.

"Ok, I like it, so I brought 2500 dollars."
*guy tries to haggle for a while and raise it some hundreds or thousands of dollars*
"Well, OK, but I only brought 2500 dollars."
*haggles more, can't you even do 100 more, blah blah*
"No, I only brought 2500 dollars."

Either they give in and you get what you want, or you go home out no more than the cost of gas and wait for the next potentially good deal to show up. Tell them "well, here's my number if you change your mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TKIY posted:

the partial Malibu debadge leaving just 'BU'.

In Chinese, "bu" translates to something between "no", "bad" and "not".

Seems appropriate.