Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

germans love corvettes, its basically an exotic over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Dizman posted:

Being the owner of a Corvette and knowing some Corvette guys... he's not trolling.

This is why when people find out I own a Corvette and say "OH you're a Vette guy!" I always reply back with "No, I am not a Corvette guy. I'm a car guy who has a Corvette."

Most people don't seem to understand the difference.

I know this is a bit late, but as someone who once owned a c5 z06, I completely agree.

After I had purchased the car my girlfriend mentioned it to a coworker

Girlfriend: ya my bf just bought a corvette
coworker: are you dating a 50 year old man?

When I lived in Pensacola everyone thought I was making millions driving(at 26 years old) a 10 yr old car I purchased for 19k. GM service advisor asked if I was a doctor, other engineers astounded I would track my "60k dollar car". And the worst was the only vette specific shop run by some overweight misplaced new york italian. He claimed getting a custom dyno tune w/ HPTuner was a terrible idea, Vararam made a terrible intake and I should instead use a diablo handheld tuner.

There was only one ray of shining hope when it came to vette owners and I met him at a small road course in Louisiana. I think his name was wayne, he was an old guy who smoked cigs, ran absurdly quick times on a stock setup and talked about how he transplanted some sort of camaro suspension into his son's 50's pickup truck. The whole point was to troll drivers at autox's since everyone was convinced a truck couldnt autox.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Jesus christ this one might even be worse than the Compton one. Gotta love that cop talking about how "all the street racers just use 4 cylinder so, you know, I can catch up to them with my charger. :smug:"

At least the LA one had cool cars.

he also removed the lightbar, so those pesky street racers will never know he's a cop.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

JP Money posted:

No really, when you get inspected here they get in your car, drive 10 feet and hit the brakes, honk your horn and pull it in to replace the sticker. It's a joke and takes maybe 5 minutes TOPS including registering the sticker and scraping the old one off.

they didnt even drive mine, just plugged in the OBD2, checked for faults and then print sticker.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Cenodoxus posted:

:ms: No further description required, I can picture in my head what the rest of the car probably looked like.

Where have I seen that befo

Oh.

Hellasplash.

Is that a 964 with a 993 GT2 wing w/ a 996/7esque GT3RS wing? :stonk:

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that a g35 wing on the first one?

Sadly no, thats a stock G6 GXP wing. This was released right after the G8 GT/GXP which was a huge step forward for pontiac in my mind, but then they released the G6 GXP...

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Devyl posted:

The PT Cruiser Turbo shares the same turbocharged 2.4 as the SRT-4. And while almost every SRT-4 is prone to being abused and trashed, the 2.4s can be built to a healthy 5-600 horsepower when done correctly. Now just imagine a 600 horsepower PT Cruiser. That would be the best troll car ever.

There was actually an engineer who worked on ABS systems that would frequently visit the nurburgring. He had a turbo PT Cruiser with michigan plates and apparently would spend his laps trolling all zee germans on the track. A friend of mine once rode w/ him and said it was utterly hilarious/fun.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

The wheel well ducting makes use of the pressure stored in the wheel well which is otherwise wasted on unwanted pressure

:smithicide:

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Late (1986) 944s housed their batteries behind the left rear wheel well, so you'd have to open the boot/trunk to get to it. Now, this wouldn't *normally* be an issue however the overly complicated and redundant boot locking mechanism on late model 944s just looooves to fail.

My hatch opens normally once in a blue moon, otherwise I have to climb in over the rear seats and pry the fucker. Really need to rip the entire mechanism out and see if I can shoehorn an early model 944 mech in. AS IT loving WORKS.

The two 86 944's I own both had the battery under the hood but behind the firewall and above the two ecu's. Usually after 20+ years of neglect that every 944 receives, rust forms in the battery tray and water will eventually drip onto the ecu.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

Group A is the best group.

I just bought this two weeks ago:

and tonight we just secured this:

Two of the greatest cars ever built. Nothing has come close to them since.

DELTA INTEGRALE!!!!(one of my dream cars)

I was walking around tokyo w/ my boss a couple weeks ago and we saw one at the light. It was in perfect condition and driven by japanese woman in her mid thirties.

Are you importing these to the US?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I love that there are apparently "car people" on the Internet who've never encountered noise limits. You really can tell who's been to the track... Hahaha.

MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon, TWS, COTA, NOLA Motorsports, and No Problem Raceway are all tracks in my area that don't have noise limits. Harris Hill is the only one I've seen w/ any sort of restriction.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Are you local to NPR? I have a couple friends that run out that way since it's only about 45 minutes away.

I used to live in Pensacola and it was the closest track(plus it was super cheap to run). I usually went out there every 2-4 weeks and ran my C5 Z06.

Now I live in Houston and have one of those terrible race car projects that I keep disassembling when it runs, so I haven't had a chance to run NPR in a very long time.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Buddy on a contract job in TX just sent me this:

welcome to houston, for some reason its only really a thing down here. People get shot/killed for these wheels every now and then, they're very popular in neighborhoods of ill repute.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

You mean those are an actual product, not something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims?

yup, they're called swangas

http://www.slabcustoms.net/catalog/slab_section_Elbows.htm

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

A dealership once slapped a decal on the back of a car that I had brought to them for a service - a car that had fully custom paint and a lot of bodywork, that I hadn't bought from them.

Yes, I was an idiot for taking a car I cared about to a dealership for service. It was satisfying when they paid for my bodyshop to repaint the trunklid from metal, though.

This is how I picked up my STI in 2008..can you guess which dealership?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

ToyotaThong posted:

Saw this "beautiful artwork" a few weeks ago.
A friend finally captured it for the rest of you to enjoy.

good ole Escambia County..and people wonder why its the poorest county in Florida

Back when I lived there I saw this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Daveh posted:

So many people shoved M badges on cars of the M-Sport trim level, that they now come out of the factory with the little fuckers plastered all over the car. :(

This is the same w/ the AMG badge that dealers stick on regular cars that have the "AMG Package" ie wheels and maybe a bumper? I always wonder if people that purchased those cars think they actually have an AMG or M car and don't know any better.