Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It is my theory that any car fad is a perversion of racing. Take anything that makes a race car different from an average car and multiply those features until you've reached the physical limits of being usable. Slamming, hella flush, donks. They all pull influence from the racecar aesthetic in the worst possible way. Ride height, camber, and wheel size, respectively.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sir do you know how fast you were going?

Nope :haw:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
But was the guy handicapped?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
God, why wouldn't you modify the trailer instead of the truck for the hitch?

HEY NICE HITCH

FOR A CLOWN TO HAVE

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I love this. Suck it AI.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nailed it. :downsrim:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you extend the exhaust like that?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the goal there is to attract attention. Especially if it's a show car. It's not as terrible as putting things on your car to make it seem faster.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Look at this terrible derail I started. Here's a thing from a GIS of "dumb car thing"

Discuss

I don't hate it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can't see it too well on mobile but those wheels could use a little less chrome from what I can tell as well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wheels that are just made of light

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of the burnt blue tips that some exhaust kits can come with. I understand the origin, don't understand the fad. If you aren't actually heat treating the steel at the end of your exhaust with exhaust gases, isn't that a little misleading?

To each his own, I guess.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like it until I realized all if the JDM parts for my WRX are better quality or more useful than the USDM stuff. I guess it gets sacrificed to keep the US market prices down.

I mean look at the lovely grill they gave the US market. There's examples of these swaps all over the car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I heard it was emissions related. But I don't know how true that is.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
USDM is on top. JDM bottom. It may be hard to see but above where the grill stops on the US version, are just vertical plastic support pieces that wreck the lines of the front.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

I personally prefer the USDM one...

Bless you for liking the easier option.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So cars that would gently caress your poo poo up in a crash with the average American vehicle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good question and the issue is time. Time is needed to absorb energy at safe levels. The more time you have the less energy/second (Watts) you have to absorb in a crash. With shorter cars, it is often fact that the crash structure before the occupant is also shorter. Given a specific speed, this means there is less time to absorb energy in an impact, increasing the likelihood of serious injury or even death. Cars like the Smart ForTwo boasts extremely strong crash structures, but they also do a terrible job at absorbing energy.

I knew a guy who was a Fortwo fanboy. He got into an accident with his vehicle and sustained major injuries while the other driver was able to walk away. He couldn't afford to pay the medical bills he accrued. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I firmly believe if he had been driving a larger vehicle with a longer crash structure, he would have also been okay.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 18, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was only meant to convey that the bills were large without disclosing an amount. There was no ulterior motive.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I would argue that the massive Bro-Trucks and giant SUV's are the problem in that equation. I hate not being able to buy any of the super cool, tiny, foreign cars for fear of becoming paste under a truck driven by someone who has no need for, and doesn't pay enough attention to safely use, a vehicle that obnoxiously large. It's a lot of the same problems that motorcycles and scooters have, the vehicle itself is pretty safe as long as you aren't a moron and wear helmets, jackets, etc, but the real danger in riding is almost exclusively from other drivers on the road who won't bother to look before swerving into your lane and smashing your vehicle beneath them. Even if a FourTwo collided with a modern sedan, the sedan would crumple, making the occupants of both vehicles significantly safer than if it hit a larger vehicle that was structurally reinforced to handle the weight of the vehicle, the torque from the engine, and the stress of towing.

My anecdotes are much more tame, but my sister's Baby-daddy has an F-250 super duty that he parks at our place on his visitation days and parking behind it makes me really uncomfortable because his license plate is about level with the dash in my Civic. He could just back up on top of my car with no problems if he were so inclined, or just didn't look before reversing. My car is stock USDM with no adjustments to the ride height and his only has dealer upgrades, no real aftermarket stuff. My car would be perfectly safe if I were to hit or be hit by a normal vehicle, even vans and most SUV's would be ok because my car would take the hit in a crumple zone and safely buckle, keeping the majority of the force from reaching the cabin. Hell, I was able to smack into a ~110lb buck at 85 miles an hour and then drive for 400 miles after forcing the panel back out of the wheelwell because the crumpled metal deflected him away from the interior of the car instead of holding shape and sliding him over the hood.
No matter how safe I should be on the road, all of the crumple zones in the world can't protect me from a bumper that's just going directly over the safety features of my car in a crash

I don't disagree this is part of the equation. I never understood the whole big vehicle craze. Then again I'm young and have plenty of time to grow into it. However at a certain point any sufficiently small car becomes dangerous to operate at highway speeds because of the forces involved if you get into an accident.

Terrible content ahoy:

They guy just wants a WRX so bad :(

Also, I'm using my phone while driving, so a twofer.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I made a calculator using tire pressure, tire size, vehicle weight, and weight distribution to calculate tire deflection. Reverse those equations and plug in a tire size and it'll spit out a new tire pressure. It makes a few assumptions about rubber compound and tire patch shape, but it gets into the ballpark. When I changed my tire from 235mm to 265mm, I found out I needed to change my tire pressure from 35 psi to 29 psi to get the same chord deflection.

But note that you tire patch size will remain nearly identical for a given pressure regardless of tire size within reason. This assumption doesn't work for harder tires like truck or tractor tires.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Linedance posted:

I saw one of these godawful monstrosities on the road today. I had to look it up to see what had offended my senses so grossly.

MB AMG63 GLE coupe.
It is loving enormous. It dwarfed the X5 that was driving beside it. I don't blame the owner for buying it, because people will buy any old poo poo without seemingly looking at it first. I blame Mercedes Benz for designing it in the first place. I think the design brief was "who cares if it looks grossly obese, we'll sell them by the dump truck. Make the rear end bigger. You ever see the stern of a container ship? That's your inspiration."
It's not just that it's enormous that makes it so offensive, hell a Yukon or an Escalade is enormous too, it's that it's so loving awful looking in the process.
It should never have been made.

Tell you what though. I'll be damned if they didn't do a really good job keeping the design ratios similar to a sedan. It looks like what you would get if you took a photo of their car and stretched the photo vertically.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
what's up

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So, what, you are screwed if you can't make Monday like most normal people?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they'd have to prove those sensors are working correctly and were calibrated for the life of the vehicle.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have some serious doubts as to the legal ground that stands on.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well if you're gonna get gored by something in the car in an accident, it should be something meant for gorin'

Fayez Butts posted:

it would be cool if you werfe a paraplegic and the trigger was the clutch

Until the cops gun you down, but sure.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is it great though? A vehicle that sucks at being small and sucks at being a truck. Seems like an F35 fallacy to me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those kind of look like genuine attempts at vortex generators. Kind of hard to see, but it looks like the vanes are rotated to generate vortices. I doubt it actually works, but it works a lot better than the dumb row of shark fins people bro out their cars with.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

No, it simply allows the airfoil to operate at a higher angle of attack than would otherwise be possible. The VGs themselves still impart a small parasitic drag.

You're being obtuse. You aren't even addressing the correct context in which he is asking the question.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm completely with the "do what you want is your car" crowd right until your vehicle become a hazard to other drivers. Then it's loving stupid. I very much doubt donks have any of the needed improvement required to compensate for anything that putting gigantic wheels on a car does.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What good are stolen license plates? Just slap them on your unregged car and hope no one notices?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm wondering what the hell it does to the suspension roll center.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think they addressed you as butt crack menace irl.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My 2015 WRX started off with using 91 as the reccomended octane. Its a pretty common upgrade to flash the ecu to use 93. Even so, my car will still run 91 with that tune. I've done that a couple times by accident.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

I'm the sticker on the bumper that suggests he overheard me loving my girlfriend last night. :v:

(I love stickers/decals you can infer other meanings from)

Man I wanted to make this joke. Or say something along the lines of my girlfriend doesn't make a lot of noise I don't understand :confused:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

HEY GUYS MY MOM GOT ME BRACES

I might dig this if it were painted black.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I could have swore like half of AI likes strobing brake lights.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I was rear ended a month into my WRX ownership. I'm part of the reason your insurance is so god drat expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

I'd be curious to see the actuarial justification for how a WRX is more likely to be rear-ended. I guess maybe if you have a tendency to tailgate and brake at the last minute? I'd think that would still be on the other driver behind you.

The way insurance stats work, at least in CT is that is doesn't matter who hit who when making rates. Only when people submit claims.