Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Saw this on the way home from work yesterday.
I didn't see whats on top, but at the bottom, as you can see, he had a horizontal piece tying in to the vertical ones, so its totally legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

iospace posted:

That 90s grandma bubble compass is also terrible car stuff.

Yeah, I should probably get rid of it. No matter which direction I'm going, I always seem to be pointing some variation of east according to that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its possible that the satellite radio dock is my culprit, it seems to work fine when I take it out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rhyno posted:

For those who do not understand "adjusted market value" just remember this

When the PT Cruiser was brand new, dealers were marking them up $10,000 and customers were getting into fights over the few available cars.

Welp, there is no hope for humanity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

Those are roof racks.

Thems ain't roof racks. They ain't even on the roof.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, who the gently caress would use one of those goddam beaded seat covers? :can:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dr.Smasher posted:

Early 2000s. I think they still look cool but could have benefited from a better engine/trans.

And lower price. They were way too expensive, especially for the performance. But then that would be the engine/trans.....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I would think getting washer fluid into the coolant wouldn't be much of a big deal unless it was a large amount, and even then it'd be more because alcohol and water don't lubricate the water pump as well as a regular 50/50 coolant mix (also a lower boiling point).

Getting coolant into your washer fluid though... I would think that would leave an oily mess on the windshield.

My parents had this old beater-rear end van (88 GMC Safari, 4.3l) that my parents let (mostly) me and my brother drive with a blown head gasket, or maybe a cracked head. Went through coolant like you wouldn't believe, but it was winter, so we couldn't just dump a bunch of water in it. So gently caress it, we dumped washer fluid in there..... Its good to -40. Coolant was expensive as gently caress when you made 6.95/hr.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Humphreys posted:

That ute full of signage shoulda done his job :P

Yeah people usually ingnore that poo poo anyway.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, pretty much the government wants us to believe that the earth is round because thats how the new (flat) world order is going to take over.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Can they just not take the leaders of the flat earth movement to space and show them that the earth is round? Then they can tell their minions that they were wrong?
Or maybe the minions will just think that their leaders have been brainwashed by the NFWO.

It might actually make some sort of economic sense..... They'll get jobs and not bore people in to workman's comp with all their theories or something.

Or they could just take a trip to Australia and make a phone call back here and ask whoever answers the phone if its dark here during daylight hours there?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've always wondered about how they explain this one away.

Because all the lights are turned off?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've read that reline water wetter and similar products can do something along those lines.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I had something similar happen to me when I was towing a trailer (~8000lbs) with an f350 diesel minus the actual crash part. It was slippery (winter) and I was getting on the highway, I hit the floor with the gas and the back end came loose. The truck we normally pulled that trailer with, was...... under powered to say the least, as in you had to keep it floored just to keep up with traffic on the highway. So, thats what I was used to doing. Trailer swerved side to side as a result, and i used a combination of actuating the trailer brakes with the slidy thing on the brake controller and letting off the gas on the truck.

Right thing to do or just lucky?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

You did good. You shifted the weight.

Here's the screwed up thing. Think how many trailers with poo poo-rear end wiring, brakes, drivers that have no clue about anything including a trailer are on the roads.

Probably a lot. That trailer only had brakes on the front axle for the longest time. I had a hard time trying to convince my boss to get them on the rear axle as well. We'd get the annual safety done and the brakes would seem to work for a week after that, before they felt like they became nonexistent. Then it became pray nothing happened till the next safety came around, for a week or so of relief.
Once we got brakes put on the rear axle it was WAAAAYY less terrifying to drive that poo poo.
Not to mention I was constantly sliding the slider over to make sure that they did work, because I had them crap out on me countless times over the years that we had that truck/trailer combo. Usually at the worst times, like coming off the highway in winter.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Also not a donk, if anything it's a lowrider. Donks are more than just big wheels. Huge lifts and bizarre product placement make it a donk.

Someone was awful, clever crush proof "box".

that whip is known as a box in the donk world

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

KILL MEEEEEEE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've heard various vehicles with flat engines, old VWs, Porsches, Subarus and...... well thats probably all of them. I think the ones with loud exhausts sound awful.

Yes, I said it, they sound awful. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!!\

Like they're misfiring on half their cylinders.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That square poo poo on the hood looks like table legs.
THat'd be convenient for working on the truck. Flip the hood forward and you've got a work bench.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I gotta say, I dig the XactAir machines that have been popping up. Yeah, it's $1.50, but that gets you 5 minutes, and you set the pressure you want. Unless all 4 tires are pretty much flat, that's enough time for you to air them up. If they're overinflated, it'll release air until it's at the pressure you set (defaults to 32 PSI). Once you hit the right pressure, the machine starts beeping loudly to let you know.

They had those around my area for a while at a local chain of gas stations. I don't know if they were the exact (HURR!!) same brand, but they were out of order at least half the time. Pissed me off because I loved those fuckers. Now they have the regular old ones that were fine until I got a taste of the gourmet poo poo.

No longer do I look forward to making sure my tires are filled properly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think cars like Solara, Sebring, PT Crapper convertibles, people only buy them for the sake of "its a convertible".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Some people will probably bitch at me about this, but gently caress it.
My opinion on some terrible car poo poo. People who have only one vehicle and refer to their vehicle as "the (something)".

My boss has had about 5 cars since I've worked for him, but not until he got his first Prius (smashed that one up, got another) did he refer to his vehicle as "the anything". Now its ALWAYS "the Prius". Guy at work has a jeep, "the Jeep". Another guy had a beetle. It was always "my car" until his future inlaws gave him their 10+ year old rusty, beat rear end entry level Mercedes something or other, and then it was "the BENZ" or "the MERCEDES". Another friend, and its "the Grand Am" and so on.

Disagree with me if you like, but I hate that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Memento posted:

All I ever catch on those is twigs. Tons and tons of loving twigs.

Sometimes there just aren't roads, you know? I didn't get a photo of it, but this was shortly after I got out and reset the battery isolator switch on the front bumper that had been opened by being stabbed by a twig through the bullbar. That was fun.

I was checking out the company website on your truck. Or ute, or whatever the gently caress you crazy drunk bastards call those things down there in upside down land.

What the poo poo is a weed and seed cert.?
Is that like making sure the vehicles are clean so as to avoid introducing invasives?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Memento posted:

Exactly that. Whenever you rent one of these to go into, say, a cane sugar crop, you want to know that the vehicle you're driving isn't festooned with downy mildew, even if it was visiting an infected crop two days earlier.

Got ya. We had to do the same with a couple of our machines on a pipeline job, and working in environmentally sensitive areas. Had to pressure wash the motherfuck out of them, and then spray with a diluted bleach solution.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MomJeans420 posted:

I didn't know this was an option

Yeah, if I eat the wrong combination of things, I poo poo piss some times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Goober Peas posted:

Why is it that it's always a Honda or Toyota that is driving at night with no lights? I kept blinking my lights at the guy in front of me last night, no lights in a black 4Runner. He didn't see the cop behind me. After a few redlights, I pulled to the curb and let the cop flash some lights. Cop rolled down his window and said he'd handle it from here.

I see it with Nissans, Mazdas Hyundai, Kia, some jeeps etc....
My car ('09 Corolla) has auto headlights. Full system comes on once it gets to be a certain...... darkness? When its already dark, as soon as I take off the parking brake. It doesn't shut off again until I turn off the engine.

I still use the loving switch because I'm not an idiot. Or maybe because I am, not sure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

I think you're supposed to have it in the forward facing gear. First when facing downhill, reverse when facing uphill. It's so the car is putting the appropriate tension on the timing.

Or something. It probably doesn't matter so much.

I always thought it was reverse facing downhill, First facing uphill.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

this is correct

gently caress yeah, Validation from a random internet guy :smuggo:

2019 Dodge ram spy shots. I'm sure that once it goes in to production, the tailgate will line up for at least a few weeks.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 17, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What about the A? Poop?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My parent's 84 Caprice station wagon had the same tailgate as the "innovative" Honda ridgeline tailgate. I can see its purpose though. Drop it like a tail gate for long poo poo, tailgate parties, etc, or open it like a normal door so that we could pile in the very back seat.

But this? Or the one on the ridgeline for that matter?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

So I can stuff a motorcycle / dirtbike into it without having to leave the whole tailgate down :v:

I wonder how strong that would be, if say, you had "half" (or 60 or 40%) of the tail gate down?
What about an ATV? Putting ramps on that poo poo might be sketchy as gently caress.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 17, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

This will spin the engine backwards though if it does roll for whatever reason. Which is never the best idea.

I suspect, that might be the point? I don't know for sure. Maybe its harder to turn an engine backwards? = Less chance of rolling if the parking brake fails and the engine is so worn that compression is minim....... gently caress I don't know, thats just what I've read/been told.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

This. I'm just not seeing the purpose to the feature.

Funny that people make fun of Fords for having the pull out step in the tailgate, which actually does come in handy. Or probably does. Never used one myself, but I've climbed in to the back of enough trucks to wish I had a step somewhere in between...:corsair:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Found while digging up the patent on the bisexual-folding tailgate:
https://blog.caranddriver.com/ram-patents-retractable-pickup-truck-bed-ramps/

That's actually a pretty cool feature, if it's ever implemented.
edit: added picture.

I'll assume that they thought of something being in the bed, on top of the ramps? Do they actually stow below the bed floor?

Sagebrush posted:

Fun fact though: some diesel engines with electric fuel pumps and symmetrical valvetrains can run equally well in reverse, except that air gets sucked in the exhaust pipe and exhausted out the intake, which is spectacular to watch but real bad for everything that is not the engine itself
Yeah, one of my work machines has a kubota diesel, and it mentions in the manual what to do if the engine starts running backwards.

I seem to recall there being a buick engine from the 50s that guys would make run backwards with custom manifolds...

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 17, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fayez Butts posted:

How do they expect you to get the weed back out? Unscrew the whole thing and upend it?

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that immediately.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

I picked up some 2.4m lengths of timber today while out shopping. In my panda. From the passenger footwell up to the rear screen.

Big loving deal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My local Fastenal USED TO let us buy individual nuts/bolts. Now we have to buy them a bag at a time. Which is fine now I guess, we've got more equipment with a larger variety of nuts/bolts/screws.

I usually write myself a text message and save in drafts for poo poo like....... whatever you guys were talking about above remembering poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

What kills me about of these hideous trikes is that for like $5000 more, you can get something that doesn't look like a rejectected Power Rangers toy

If you buy one of those, the terrorists win.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fo3 posted:

. Australia........................ roo,

Too bad.

"That'll bey 12 roos, 5 koalas and a 9 beers mate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

All this Mitsubishi bad mouthing.....

I know I've mentioned it before but: in the 1990s the most reliable Chrysler cars (don't know about trucks) were re-badged Mitsubishis.