Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

No one is asking for that. They want;
1. Most AI poo poo
2. Stupid AI poo poo
3. Mechanical failures
3. Craigslist/eBay.
Yeah, the mechanical failures thread was definitely it's own thing, as was the craigslist. Consolidating the other threads made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

davebo posted:

I sure don't in the D.C. area, but I'm curious about Australia. When I do see cars with hitches they're often aftermarket ones installed below the rear bumper, but I notice that Falcon has it tastefully done below the bumper but above the rear body kit. If they're so common there, do pretty much all dealers just have them as factory options or is it usually after market hitches?
drat near everything I saw in Australia had a hitch on it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This should explain it a little:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Superbird

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
On a rainy day in FL I've seen them get rusty in 6 hours.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
No one really gets out of their car in Miami.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a much better ratio than SUVs.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

I usually slow down until I figure the speed we're going is appropriate, so there is a 2-3 second following distance between us. They either back off or overtake once they're tired of it. On roads with no overtaking possibilities I'll just take another route to get rid of them altogether if possible.

Except for one guy, he just stayed right on my rear end in the right lane on the motorway even when I slowed down to 60kph, despite the left lane being almost completely empty. I couldn't even see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I left him behind at a bridge toll booth. I have a transponder, he didn't, so he was stuck until an attendant could walk out and take his payment manually. I have no idea what I did to piss him off, but he seemed really pissed for some reason.

Oh yeah, and don't honk your horn at people who pull out from side roads right in front of you. The other day, some dude did exactly that and got really pissed that I honked at him. Pissed enough that he stopped his car, blocking the road and got out to confront me. I had to drive up onto the bike path and sidewalk to go around him on the right to get past. Cushy suspension and high-sidewall tires rock. No idea what his plan was, it's not like I'm in a hurry to get out of my nice safe car for some road-raging jerkoff.
I had some really angry dude get out of his car at a stoplight at me when I lived in Miami. I got out of my car and he got right back in. I'm 6' 3" and was in my mid 20s at the time. The guy was about ~5' 7" and middle aged.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
In FL you do not have to pull over for an unmarked car because several people were murdered by someone pretending to be law enforcement.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trouser Chili has a mint white one, or did.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Eskaton posted:

Conservation of energy and whatever. I'm talking very far away from practice theoretically.
There is this thing called aerodynamic drag.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can sub out a Haltec for a Megasquirt.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
VAG only left WRC and LeMans because they hosed themselves for billions of dollars by lying about emissions.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are Chevy "Caprice" police cars floating around now. Really drat sad that platform is going away :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Door Frame posted:

My last cab ride, I was too drunk to even count the cash I had, so I gave him a handful of random bills and got out of his crown vic with 6 other people, while the sober person has to make sure that the cabbie had been paid enough. Not even people being present, including the driver who disapproves and tries to kick you out of his cab before you offer a ridiculous tip, will stop people from doing dumb poo poo.

Putting people in an unmanned car, alone, is like asking to get it stolen. I can just see someone setting up a roadblock and stripping it in the street, at best

Like all the valuable parts won't have GPS trackers and poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ford has already done heavy hybrid investment/has perfectly good hybrid systems already that work well in the Fusion, Escape etc. Years ago Toyota and Ford decided to cross license extensively because they'd patented essential parts of each other's hybrid systems and no one was going to win a patent battle.

They're not Chrysler, who made totally garbage in the segment and would have been better off not addressing it. Doubly so because Chrysler has hybrid... uh I guess the La Ferrari is a hybrid right?

And they're just skipping out on the US market for cars because they don't make any money on them outside of the Mustang and what's going to be the Focus Active (Crosstrek).

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Shielded wire aka fluxcore. They come out of the same welder unless it's an ultra-cheapie without the gas feed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dissss posted:

Sure an LCD is never going to be ideal but there are definitely degrees of bad as far as black level goes on LCDs.

Go and hold an iPad showing a black screen next to the equivalent in a car and see the difference.

They're not going to have multiple zone local dimming. A back light is critical for any non OLED LCD to work. A regular LCD has no ability to produce light on its own so there will always be some glow due to the backlight.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Starion/Conquest?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We did get the Mazda MX-3 which is the same thing. And we got it in various engine flavors including the 1.8 V6.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

That van is nuts and is on bags. It owns.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
GM still has too many brands. Buick could be a China only brand but that would upset it's brand equity in China so it won't happen. GMC's existence is questionable since it's the 97% same poo poo as Chevy trucks, so they could pull a Dodge/RAM easily and make GMC Trukkkkks.

The brands made neat stuff in the 50s, 60s and 70s (and sorta the 80s, see T-Type/GN) but nobody has given a poo poo in a meaningful financial fashion in a long time about Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

Let it die. Ford did the right thing by putting Mercury out to pasture. It was sad but it was just another pointless rebadging effort.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

Subaru hasn't changed pedal placement much over the years but i have not driven a current wrx. It's def pedal placement and foot size and footwear dependant. I could not heel toe an older mustang very well and have big feet. In my subaru, it's a bit of a reach barefoot, i don't get great feel in boots, and I actually prefer my thin soled running shoes to puma speedcats because they're wider.

Ford is notorious about placing the gas pedal much lower than the brake pedal. There are aftermarket parts to either raise it or widen it.

I'm partial to Mazda and Honda pedal boxes myself, and BMWs tend to be very good too.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 17, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

There will be a version capable of 700hp.

I'm not sure how stout the B58 is, but the N54 was good for 700hp on stock internals.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes.

This is what the interior looks like:

Interior rules. There are physical controls for the important stuff like climate and volume controls. It's minimalistic almost, and the car is RWD which owns. If I can put a baby seat behind me I'll do it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My parents have had a weird mix of boring and mistakes.

'82 Civic 4 door. 5 speed manual. Fantastic car. One of my first memories was my dad letting me "steer" around the neighborhood while he ran the gas.
'74 Camaro 350 V8 auto. Fun, but poo poo. Floor was rusting out, but it made great noises when the old man bombed an onramp.
198x Volvo 240DL Diesel automatic. loving awful piece of poo poo. A fine car with a garbage VW engine.
1982 Buick Lesabre, 305 V8: A reliable tank with a habit of eating alternator brackets/alternators. Stolen twice.
1993 Ford Ranger 2.3 manual. A good little truck until my dad decided to tow a 23' (22?) Anacapri that really exceeded the towing limit. Dad was an idiot when it came to boats.
1986 4.3 V6 Astro Van. poo poo. Destroyed by sucking in water via the exhaust and a slippery boat ramp. See above.
1996 Ford Winstar 3.0 V6. Surprisingly reliable, comfortable and long-lived in our family. Great on road trips, ok on gas.
1998 Honda Civic DX 5 speed. A fantastic little car from Honda at their peak. Owned it for over 10 years, never gave us a lick of trouble.
2000 Prius - Mom liked it. I hated it it since I didn't fit and it was a bag of dicks about fun and slow.
2004 Prius - Mom loved it. Still owned. I still loving hate it as it has the worst goddamn traction control and the seats don't go back far enough.
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen - TDI manual. Really nice! Mom's arthritis turned this into a trade in for a
2015-17? Sportwagen DSG - Still really nice! I liked the DSG. Returned via recall because lol VW cheating.
2018? Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It's actually pretty nice. Great on road trips. Decent pickup for a giant beast. Great fuel economy. Transmission doesn't seem to suck.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I separate SUV vs CUV/Crossovers by unibody vs body on frame.

The best CUVs are just lifted wagons.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
BMW I8 has a 1.5 turbo 3 banger.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Octopus Magic posted:

Nissan should just roll out another S-chassis (S16) car instead of the ZzZzzZzzzZzzzzzzzzzz..... It should also be lego compatible with all the previous years like the old S13/14/15. :colbert:

My man.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Probably still had a stock of parts. :Stares in Toyota Clock:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

I keep seeing random GM products that I don't think I ever knew about before. Like the Chevy Orlando. How long did they make those things for?
The Pontiac G5 and G6? I guess they were the Sunfire and Grand am? G8 was a Grand prix? Or were they?

G5 is Delta, shared with the Cobalt
G6 is an Epsilon, aka Malibu and Saturn Aura.
G8 is a Holden Commodore

Pontiac died as a result of GM being forced to clean out their brand catalog in 08.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tbf that dog was gonna gently caress up whatever it wanted.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sounds like bullshit for prime who don't have winter.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

:vince:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am so torn. It's the right thread because of how the chicken is being cooked.
It's the wrong thread because the comedic intent is incredible.

wrong... thread.