Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Geirskogul posted:

Single shear is perfectly fine when engineered properly. The latest Koenigsegg uses single-shear suspension.

When engineered properly.

I was certain we already had this discussion, but it was in the other thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&pagenumber=86&perpage=40#post411703165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

And over in the clearance aisle..

Walmart.jpg

Theres something called a lazy groomer, a can of paint next to a painting (picture I guess), and something leopard. I would have believed you if you claimed that was a regular aisle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This lazy jerk was about the fastest person out there. His taillights were like red snow on one side and a tiny speck of red on the other.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well I guess I won't let my old lady air it out any more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Flying Fortress posted:

I've seen this car around town for over 10 years now. This weekend it was parked in my neighbourhood.

The steering wheel was from a Subaru, but that is all I can tell you.

Ok, this looks amazingly like this vehicle we have at the Sheriffs office. I'll snap a photo tomorrow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Flying Fortress posted:

I've seen this car around town for over 10 years now. This weekend it was parked in my neighbourhood.

The steering wheel was from a Subaru, but that is all I can tell you.

This steering wheel says Land Rover.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

InitialDave posted:

It's a 110. Looks like maybe a SOV (Special Operations Vehicle)? US Rangers?

Sheriffs. They also have a bitchin' snow cat in the garage that I might visit soon.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

My three on the tree truck has the best security system ever. I bet a lot of AI doesn't even know where the gears are.

Provided there's nothing to hit by moving forward or back within an inch or two, it's worth some trial and error.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

What is so terrible about that?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

anonumos posted:

I assume the price of cheese went up with all the extra demand from cheese-dress manufacturers. The Free Hand put a stop to that fad awful quickly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ite...9&bih=573&dpr=1

Apparently a large scavenger hunt. If you're into cheese and cars good for you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fucknag posted:

Hey, if it means we start seeing cars advertising their power-adders and engine displacements again like they did in the :krad: 80s I'm all for it.

I believe you mean 'since the 60s'

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

11BulletCatcher posted:

WHo cares what others think, it's about what I think. For me driving an old car is about driving it as it was meant to be driven at time of manufacture. I'm complaining objectively. I drive superbly with what's in place, but I know just how superior discs would be. But I can't bring myself to do the conversion.

Hey I'm with you on this one, there aren't a lot of old cars out there that are in operating condition with all original parts. I've kept my pickup on 4 drums (they're huge), and don't worry about it. There's a lot of surface area to contact and they pull themselves tight. However, at 9mpg, I don't daily drive it either.

I also get that it's less safe to drive on the old one pot braking system, as a failure is much more catastrophic. I hope you put some serious inspection on those brake parts when you do anything related. Stuff breaks down over time, like rubber seals, but also the cylinders and lines rust out and break down. My wheel cylinders in the front had deep pitting around the spring, so out they came.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Aaaaaanyways. Here is a montage of "why you don't move a vehicle when an axle ujoint or shaft ear breaks":
Before it got moved (balljoints are slightly separated, but still holding)

Then they tried to drag it out of the obstacle it was in to fix it in a more convenient location and...

Don't do that!

I don't get why that would break. The axle shaft provides a rotational force and tension along its axis, but has no strength in either the vertical or horizontal axis. The ball joints and tie rod should hold that just fine without an axle shaft.

edit: the Dana 44 I have also has the cotter key and nut on the top of the axle, and the bottom is flat. What kind of axle is this one?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Basically:

... is correct.

The ujoint yoke ears snap off, the inner shaft is fairly long (18" on the short side) and doesn't have anything except the ujoint keeping it on-axis in the tube at the outer end. So it flops around from the sudden jolt of the ears breaking off, the remainders of the ears sorta jam/ride up/flop around on the outer shaft's ears/broken off ears, and the torque ends up forcing the outer knuckle down via the axleshaft instead of turning things like it is supposed to. This separates the balljoints and whoops, there goes your wheel/brakes/steering/knuckle/everything.

I had this happen once, the shaft was already slightly weakened so it popped the second my tire hit the ground (bounced over some large rocks, tire went up, tire came down, tire hit rocks, snap crackle pop wheel/bearing/knuckle fell off) - I had absolutely no time to react. Sadly, I don't know who took pictures of it, so I haven't got any evidence, but it sucks to fix. The knuckle was already disconnected from the axle housing so I took the tire off, removed the inner axleshaft, stuffed a rag in the axle tube to keep water/mud out and lube in, then used a combination of a large hammer, the stock bottle jack, a high lift, and someone else's winch to compress the suspension/jam the knuckle back up and reset the balljoints. They were still trash, but the weight of the vehicle on them (don't worry, not as sketchy as it sounds, AKA it will stay in unless you corner so hard you lift a tire) kept my truck from dislocating its knees again until I got back to camp and could replace them properly.

And yes, it's a dana 30. A friend had the same thing happen on a dana 44 (the balljoints go the other way in a dana 44 as you noted, but are still balljoints) but I couldn't find any pics of that incident when I half assedly snooped around in his photobucket. This doesn't happen to kingpin dana 60 axles because of the way they're designed, the outer knuckle wraps around the inner knuckle, the upper kingpin screws into the inner knuckle and seats into the outer knuckle, then the kingpin taper bearing goes into the lower inner knuckle arm and a giant pivot pin gets installed through the lower outer knuckle into it. Unless you break the knuckle or shear either the upper kingpin or the lower pivot pin, it aint coming off. I know people who have broken those too but I haven't found where the pictures went yet.

Basically, the rule when dealing with balljoint axle housings and broken ujoints is - when it breaks, stop immediately. If it's still all attached, replace the shaft before you move it even a foot. If it isn't, hope you have spare balljoints with you. This is why people prefer kingpin type steering axles for high performance offroad solid axle vehicles.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense and I think I may dig up a Spicer 60 Manual just to look at it. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5309-3.pdf

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kenny Rogers posted:

I agree. That's a reason to buy a Miata, right there.
Have some terrible F-350, courtesy of Jefferson County, Colorado.
F-350...what's that badge there on the side?

POLICE INTERCEPTOR

What about this other F-350?

Whoo, boy! A KING RANCH Police Interceptor!

What, exactly, they're going to intercept? :iiam:

I'm dying to see these photos but they don't work!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kenny Rogers posted:

I agree. That's a reason to buy a Miata, right there.
Have some terrible F-350, courtesy of Jefferson County, Colorado.
F-350...what's that badge there on the side?

POLICE INTERCEPTOR

What about this other F-350?

Whoo, boy! A KING RANCH Police Interceptor!

What, exactly, they're going to intercept? :iiam:

\/\/\/\/ little known :eng101: Use 'Amount' for things you can't count, like water. Use 'Number' for things you can count, like cities. \/\/\/

When's the last time you saw a Sheriff on a horse? Must be from Evergreen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Two types of flames, graphical and realistic, and hidden skulls in the flames on the hood.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

8th-snype posted:

This was my old Saturn. I didn't change the oil for like 3 years just put in a quart of whatever was lying around when it was low.

I've been considering this, with the addition of changing the filter when it gets below the dipstick and I can hear it rattle. I mean, rattle more than normal.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Team140 posted:

On an unrelated, but still horrible note, I traded the 1940 Chevrolet (Restoring a car with SCIENCE! thread) today for a 1979 Corvette. Overall, the car isn't too bad, but the seat recover job by the previous owner was beyond ridiculous.

What why?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Terrible Robot posted:

I think we need a poll to settle once and for all the proper name for this thing.

It's really more of a El Deville or ElCeville

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Spare tire nearly fallen out and the tail pipe was dragging on a lifted 4x4.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Absolutely possible. If, in 1962, you decided you want your new car to have an oil filter, they would have done exactly that--grabbed a filter, threaded the inlet and outlet onto the block, and bolted it on. It was a partial flow filter, so IIRC you basically counted on the oil pressure to force some of the oil through.

I think they started offering full-flow (modern type) systems very shortly thereafter, for the few remaining years of Studebaker's existence.

As a final note in this derail, if any of you see a Studebaker Avanti for sale, loving PM me.

I assume you want a Studebaker and not an Avanti II eh? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4298807598.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

neckbeard posted:

I went to go price one out on Nissan's site to see just how expensive they could get with all the options/accessories ($46K) and found that this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I hate the stereotype of Americans being all fatasses, but goddammit...

"HOG STRAP $46".

I've only seen one power convertible mechanism in my life, it's for a 1964 Galaxie and everything is behind the backseat and trim like that. Tear out the rear speaker (center mounted), remove the seat, and there's the hydraulic pump for it. The hydraulic rams are on either side, behind the side trim panels.

50 years of progress and creature comforts equals more parts, but that just doesn't seem unreasonable.

I still would like every single one of those to break.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

revmoo posted:

I love going to a chain place like Longhorn Steakhouse or O'Charleys. The parking spaces are absolutely enormous. There will be like 4-5 feet on each side, even with my sedan.

Or Costco where they decided to do double lines between spaces and it feels so luxurious.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Big Dog and Tom.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Fortunately I drive such a turd that if I ever brought it to a shop they'd make sure to not put a sticker on it to avoid being guilty by association.

The only thing I have done by the pros is bonded-in glass, though. Mostly because by the time I have a windshield shipped to me and buy the urethane and trim ring I've spent 50 bucks more than just having it done while I sit around surfing the net on my phone.

Speaking of which: terrible car stuff = rockauto shipping these days. EIGHT WAREHOUSES WHAT THE gently caress (and I tried to minimize it, too.)

Yeah what the hell - judging by the magnets on my toolbox I could probably benefit from a Prime like system. These dozen warehouses alone have stopped me from ordering things which should be easy impulses but instead are shipping taxed out of my price range. I've wanted some spark plugs, new mirrors, LED ID bar, an ATF Filter, a half dozen oil filters and a new coolant tank (with working sensor) for about a year now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I spent forever getting the sticker off of my wife's car, and she does not understand why I disliked it so. I'm not even sure why I don't like it, other than the advertising.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

atomicthumbs posted:

I hate that California went from this:

to this

Who even needs the URL on the plate?

I'm very happy that Montana did this

quote:

The following standard-issue plates from 1989, 1991, 2000, and 2006 are available as an alternative to the blue 2010 plate. The same standard-issue plate fees, options, and conditions apply to the 1991, 2000, and 2006 plates, but the 1989 design is numbered like a sponsored plate and is not available in military or amateur radio options.

As I am partial to some of the older designs and would have selected one to match my car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kill-9 posted:

I didn't know this was still a thing.

A new plated MKS with landau/vinyl top. It was even worse in person.

Nah that's a good look.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

jamal posted:

Speaking of Chrysler, saw a practically brand new grand cherokee today and one of the led headlight surrounds was out.

They turn off if the turn signal is on. Or it was out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Gas pump chat: At my Costco there is a sign that says 'long hoses reach both sides, pull up to any open pump'. And they reach, but like just barely, and the tension on the support rope is a little too high. The first time I went I thought that it would be great for my truck which has a filler on both sides, but there's no way that I can get the one on the drivers front fender and reach the one behind the passenger door without some fuckin' muscle.

Having one filler neck on each side of the truck but never seeing a master/slave setup for gasoline is terrible car stuff.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

anonumos posted:

Honestly, I liked the Alero. It was a decent car: comfortable, sporty-ish, solid, and reliable. On the other hand, I never owned one, just borrowed one a time or three. I think it compared well with other Olds models, though (because most Oldsmobiles sucked balls).

No, it sucked. It's just a grand am with different sheet metal. Our dash pad crinkled up, the 4 cylinder got awful gas mileage, and things broke that shouldn't have. The hazard light switch broke and caused the turn signals wouldn't work. I was convinced the whole thing would give way but it kept on trucking until it was totaled.

OK it wasn't the worst car ever, but I didn't like it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 16, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://imgur.com/gallery/YFjgv

Just the worst people on earth. Found on Imgur.

quote:

Last Sunday three people broke into my dads garage and stole his beautiful 1955 ford f100 pickup and destroyed it the same night for no reason. This was my dads prize position and spent hours and hours building this truck and for this to happen to him breaks my heart People suck.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PCOS Bill posted:

Fortunately you don't have to own a pickup if you don't think you need one!

Hah!

I saw a stretch Dodge Nitro last night. The side had some awful repair job performed on it. I wonder if they needed to buy longer zipties.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Hate to tell you that acts of war are specifically excluded.

FYI: Detonation of a nuclear device under any circumstances is considered an act of war.

:spergin:

Even more satisfying to the adjuster to say " oh yes missles are covered... Oh, but not during an act of war, either declared or implied "

Although if Palestine isn't recognized as a state it may be covered as an act of rebellion or terrorism. I'm sure Israeli insurance is pretty well defined in this issue though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

https://imgur.com/gallery/on9T9

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VOR LOC posted:

Seems like this particular bro dude didn't have enough money for 5 ridiculous rims and tires and was driving on the stock sized spare down the highway. Anybody care to guess how long before that diff blows to kingdom come?

Probably a long time, I doubt he's got a locker in there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HotCanadianChick posted:

In snow/ice driving with a manual, start in second gear instead of first, much easier to get going without slipping the tires so much.

This was the only way my Saturn was drivable in the wintertime.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Solar Coaster posted:

Light chat:

I totally get what everyone is saying here. My 82 Volvo has a 77 front end, meaning single round headlights and that's it. Like this:

Most other cars around me are so much brighter than i have been seriously considering replacing all my light bulbs in the car with LEDs. Priced it out and it would be around $250 give or take. It's a bit steep, but I feel if I go through with it, my car will be more visible on the road.

Also, thanks to all the brighter lights on the road, makes it harder to see my instrument cluster as well since my interior lights are 30+ years old. Might have to get that upgraded too.

Certainly replace the instrument bulbs, they've probably just worn down and a new set will be enough. If the headlights aren't on relays, adding them may give you enough extra power to make a difference. If not, you'll still have a nice setup. I did all of these in my 72 pickup and haven't felt the need to replace anything else. Although I have an aversion to spending money on things that don't improve how the vehicle runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

veedubfreak posted:

So we got around a foot of snow this weekend. Freeway is still icy and snow packed. There was a fucktard in a newish Camaro with summer tires just doing burn outs on the freeway. I felt like pulling over and punching him in the face for being such a gently caress up.

You missed the rental Dodge Caravans doing burnouts and pinballing across the lanes up Vail pass on Friday, it was hilarious and tragic.