Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MadScientistWorking posted:

You actually are right there are multiple forms of corrosion. Though why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to join steel parts with aluminum.

Why indeed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Code Jockey posted:

Absolutely in the wrong thread, that owns.

I've totally seen that car around!

In NW Washington I'm seeing more and more pink rimz on black cars. Is it a thing?

There's a Hyundai Accent that races with us in ChumpCar that's black with pink wheels.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

nm posted:

"I separate stupid people from their money."

I wonder if there are any statistics on how many accidents have been caused by horrible fake spoilers actually increasing rear lift at speed, resulting in horrible oversteery crashes as the back wheels leave the ground in corners?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Das Volk posted:

That's one tyte 5 series yo, it must be fast:

Nope, it's a Diesel :laugh:

According to Pistonheads there's nothing faster than a BMW diesel.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

There's another Miata under there.

Ok, watched the Pacific Rim trailer, and while a Figaro didn't seem out of context here:

Is that a Ford Ka? In California?

I guess it's sourced from one of the South American markets. I mean, trans-dimensional portals, 300' tall monsters and mecha are one thing, but a non-CARB compliant vehicle in San Francisco?

I'm not the only one who does this, right? Right? :ohdear:

I sold my Ka before I moved to the US in 2002, and shortly after arriving I saw one at Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego, although it might have been on Mexican plates. In the decade since I've never seen another one though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't know about you, but if I can get that level of performance and exterior looks for $55,000 and have a rather crappy interior, or a car with inferior performance but a FABULOUS interior for $55,000, I will go with the first car every. Single. Time.

It's far from penny wise and pound foolish; they put the money from the interior into making the base-line trim level of the C7 a 450hp 26hwmpg MONSTER that actually looks like a supercar.

Here's the thing - not everyone is like you. If it were up to me, I'd buy the second car. I'm really excited about this Corvette, it's the first one that looks nice enough inside (which, don't forget, is what you'll spend most of your time looking at and touching) to consider buying at some point.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

That's pretty much an everyday occurrence down here, if that's what he was pointing out.

For content:

Apparently you can now do Segway tours in downtown.

The Hummer is pretty terrible too. So is my leaving the camera on ISO 6400 :smith:

Those segway tours have been going on for at least the last five years.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

We don't all drive F-350s and ride horses :clint:

Fair enough, there's nothing that overtly screams DALLAS (or for that matter, Texas) in it, unless you look at the phone # on the Hummerlimo and notice the 214 area code.

But Fire Storm mentioned DC, and drgitlin said the tours had been around awhile (and he/she has a very DC-centric post history).

I honestly have no idea how long the Segway tours have been around in Dallas, I don't make it downtown very often.

This is the general area I was in when I took the photo - I guess it could pass for "generic big city downtown area".

At a glance that could be downtown near Archives and the old post office, although thinking about it more, the water feature doesn't familiar.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

This showed up at the Lamborghini Festival south of Houston yesterday.

It's an Abarth, either that or he spent alot of cash on decals, wheels, and that intake cover.

He evidently spent a load of cash on the doors so probably the latter. I'm actually less offended by those doors on that car than I am on the otherwise unmolested yellow Z06 that lives down the road, which still makes me shake my head every time I think about it.

Personally I'd put this in the other thread because it actually seemed really well done, but I think it belongs here because it's a Beetle and I think they're horribly pointless cars:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It seems the handbrake is a thing of the past - everything's moving to these horrid electronic parking brakes if the newish cars I've driven recently have been any judge, both in the EU and here in the US. I try not to be a reflexive luddite about things (i think it's a good move that the new GT3 is PDK, for example) but even I think that's a step too far.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rhyno posted:

One of them is possibly violating a directional parking law.

If that picture is from the UK then there's no such thing. I was baffled to discover these laws when I moved to the US, it seems ridiculous.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't think that's how it works, but ok.

Depending how banana republic the jurisdiction, yes it can.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

JP Money posted:

I wonder how many times that Aventador has been rented.

There's a chap in the UK who's put over 120k miles on a Murcielago in the course of using it as one of those 'come here and drive our cars' experiences: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/242623/lamborghini_murcielago.html

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

I consider this:

as the ideal aesthetic of a supercar.

I think you should be able to drive a supercar on the street and not have to wear a helmet, and that's the inside of a proper racing car with a full-on cage and six point harnesses.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I wanted to setup a LeMons over here. Never happened though.

Circuit rental is way too expensive in Europe, for some reason.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

More than here? I heard it's like 20k a day at NHMS, not even one of the nicer road courses.

According to a friend who races in Europe, Spa wants €10,000/hour for track rental, so yes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
nm I should read ahead.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

Not his only one, either.

I remember an article about that dude's collection in Top Gear Magazine 15+ years ago. Does he still have the Mercs in different colours for each day of the week?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Xarthor posted:

I don't know if this exactly fits the topic but a buddy of mine was bragging on Facebook that he's now slammed his car so much the wheel is sticking out farther than the wheel arch. Seems like a good way to gently caress up the wheel arch of your car, but maybe I'm wrong.

Surely the body would machine the tire off the wheel?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Butt Wizard posted:

Group A is the best group.

I just bought this two weeks ago:

and tonight we just secured this:

Two of the greatest cars ever built. Nothing has come close to them since.

Those are both great but why are they in this thread? This is for terrible stuff! Those are not terrible.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

fingerling posted:

It isn't that MG that Top Gear was going on about a few years ago? Didn't that come with some V8 or something? Hilariously bad build quality (:britain:), but from what Clarkson was saying - 'mental'.

e: looks similar if you haven't looked at on in a few years. Totally different. :(

The MG that was originally a De Tomaso and then a Qvale? No, it's not one of those. Andrew Frankel at Autocar drove one of the last remaining ones late last year: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/mg-x-power-sv-driven

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Technically it's eight fewer ;) :eng101:

Here's the musuem in happier times: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drjonboyg/sets/72157594494882708/

Corvette Indy 500 pace cars by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Do astons still have a steel floorpan?

No, the VH platform is an extruded and bonded aluminium chassis, similar to the Lotus Elise.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Was it a Poncho?

You don't have PM's enabled - if you took that photo do you mind if I use it in an article I'm writing please?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

angryhampster posted:

I got it from a google image search.

Is your article about automotive abominations?

Ergonomics, car interiors, and why we're never going to have cars controlled by joysticks (concept cars don't count).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

blk posted:

Is this for Ars? Edit: And what I mean by that is: "What is the topic?"

Yep, check the site next Tuesday for something particularly cool and car-related. Article is on ergonomics, human-car interaction, and why we're always going to have steering wheels and pedals (not sure when that one is going to run though).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

The steering wheel and pedals will be vestigal / security theater when the cars are self-driving :science:

A future of self-driving cars is a future I don't really want any part of, tbqh.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Btw as a sneak preview, here's one reason driving enthusiasts should be dead set against replacing the steering wheel with a d-pad: feedback. Half the enjoyment of a great car is steering feel and the car talking to you, and that's just not possible with a thumbstick or joystick.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's a silly reason, as you can very obviously get feedback through a joystick, as any pilot will attest. The question is whether it's in the manner you're accustomed to or not, so that you react on more or less instinct instead of having to think about what the control input device is doing. That is entirely an issue of driver training and acclimatization, not of control device form.

What you're really trying to say is that direct mechanical feedback is superior to simulated / artificial feedback, something that's been an issue ever since power steering came along, and something which has been largely rendered moot by modern electric steering systems with no mechanical connection:

http://www.truedelta.com/Infiniti-Q50/car-reviews-1222

If your steering wheel is essentially just a PS3 controller, and the 'feedback' is whatever the computer decides (up to and including smacking your hands with the wheel if you're inadvertently departing your lane) then it's silly to argue the form factor is vital. The key here is that the computer is going to be much, much better at figuring out the limits of the road, tires, brakes, suspension etc than you are (yes, it is, it already is, stop getting in a huff), so the feedback is just so you go along with what it's already decided to do.

Of course there's going to be an enthusiast backlash (and luddite panic) but that's been the same for cat converters, seat belts, ABS etc etc but the benefits proved undeniable.

Even thinking about wheel vs stick vs handlebars vs joypad is crooked, because the real change will be you micromanaging the driving vs you directing the general trip via waypoints and letting the computers handle the rest, and the input debate isn't going to be wheel vs stick, it'll be voice vs touchpad, some keyboard or just a synced phone. Arguing wheel vs stick is like arguing whether a computer being able to print stamps is superior to buying them at the post office, when it can just send an email.

When you manuever a plane you're not trying to be accurate down to an inch or two. With a car, you are.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
You know, I think my point is proved by the number of cars you can buy today, or are planned for the next, oh, 10 years, that have joysticks instead of pedals and a steering wheel.

And modified cars with hand controls for paraplegics don't count. OEM only.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

Really? That's the argument?

Because everyone has done a thing in a particular way for a long time, it will always be the best method?

Explain to me why it's better, bearing in mind the global installed userbase of drivers (which must be at least over a billion), I promise I'm listening.

Every single human factors engineer I've spoken to about this (and I've talked to quite a few, at several different car companies) discounted the idea of it ever happening. Plus there are the regulatory barriers to get through - hell, Audi isn't even allowed by NHTSA rules to bring their new laser headlights over to the US, you think those risk-averse bureaucrats are going rewrite the rules so you can use your Dualshock controller to barrel along down the freeway?

Some more food for thought:

James May says it's a terrible idea: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/7429624/Joysticks-will-never-replace-steering-wheels.html

Science says it's not a good idea: http://papers.sae.org/2003-01-0118/

quote:

Based on the lane position data collected for twelve drivers in the above situations, the results showed that drivers' lane tracking capability (measured by using standard deviation of lateral position and number of cones hit) was superior using a steering wheel in comparison to any of the joystick settings.

http://papers.sae.org/2003-01-0118/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

EightBit posted:

This is one of the dumbest logical fallacies ever.

I'm all for 90% of cars being computer driven, most people don't drive to drive, they drive because they need to. Insurance premiums will plummet for sure. I don't think speeds will greatly increase, fuel consumption increases roughly with the square of speed, regardless of body shape; instead, people won't be trying to haul rear end to their destination because they can actually do something else while en route.

Car companies exist to sell cars. They are all in favor of things that would help them sell more cars. If joysticks would make their cars easier to drive, and easier to sell, or if customers were clamoring for joystick-driven cars, trust me, we'd be seeing them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

I'm not suggesting there actually is a better way to steer cars than with a wheel. I just think it's idiotic to defend the steering wheel because that's the way it's always been.

Defend the steering wheel based on its technical merits, not familiarity.

Technical reasons:
With the current method, you're distributing different functions to different limbs. A wheel with several turns lock-to-lock allows for much finer control for a far greater segment of the population than a thumbstick with an inch of travel from side to side, or a joystick with a couple of inches of travel from side to side.

Practical reasons:
We live in the real world, the billion+ drivers on the roads are already used to wheels, therefore there is significant inertia against change, not just on the part of consumers but also regulators world-wide. Overcoming this inertia to change the status quo would only happen in the face of completely overwhelming evidence of the superiority of the new proposed method.

The 3 second answer:
I'm much quicker in Forza 4 and GT6 with a wheel than the controller.

There, how's that?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

The reason you will see cars with pedals and a steering wheel, long after (as I said before) they're vestigal / safety theater, is because NHTSA standards dictate the approximate control structure of passenger cars, including a steering wheel. Just like other posters have mentioned with headlights, car makers can't just up and innovate without dragging the NHTSA along. This was an issue back in the day with sealed beams, for instance. It has absolutely nothing to do with what consumers want, as you can tell by how long the US was stuck with lovely sealed beams while Europe got far better headlights. So we'll be stuck with steering wheels for long, long after they're pointless.

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me why a joystick is superior.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

EightBit posted:

Airbags may not rip off your thumbs, but they can propel your arms into the window/door/other people pretty fiercely. That's better than your head or chest smashing into the steering wheel or dash, though.

You can, however, dislocate your thumbs pretty easily if your wheels hit an obstacle and you have your thumbs looped through. I haven't seen it personally, but I've had my Jeep's steering wheel get whipped around when rock crawling. A guy that was watching me climb up the obstacle saw it happen, and didn't think to keep his thumbs out when he attempted it. No dislocation for him thanks to a different line that didn't jerk his wheel that much, but he had bruises.

Yep, if you spin the wheel will whip around very quickly too, and that can also break thumbs if they're looped.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

revmoo posted:

I always wanted to test drive a V6 probe. I used to have an MX-3 and they're practically the same car but the Probe had a bigger V6.

The MX-6 is basically the same, the MX-3 is much smaller.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Or that guns are awesome and everyone should have several.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Last I checked euro diesel emmisions standards are nowhere near as strict as US standards. Also, your diesels are things like a TDI Jetta, American diesels are F-350 sized, does Europe have an F-350 or something comparable? Lastly, the GM350 diesel kinda pissed off everyone for a long time, but GM is trying to makeup for that disaster with the diesel Cruze.

And performance? Have you seen a Mercedes diesel from the 80s? :lol:

I don't hate all EPA regulations, I love clean air and oxygen. I just feel like the EPA freaked out and started waving around the C word to force diesel manufacturers to make big changes in a very short amount of time, so diesels have kinda gone to poo poo.

It's not the first time the EPA has screwed us, every motor from the late 70s and 80s sucked due to new polution and economy regulations. But at least back then they had a real reason to rush new regulations on auto makers.

I drove an Audi A8L TDI a couple of weeks ago that was comfortably faster than my Saaburu and still returned 38 mpg. The other driver was a bit more sedate and got 48 mpg. And this was in America. In fact, you'd be an idiot to pay an extra $8k for the 4.0 TSFI engine since performance between the two was basically the same.

Your understanding of modern diesels is non-existent, stop talking now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rhyno posted:

drat near every gas station I've been to in the state of Indiana has diesel on almost every pump these days.

Anyways, some rear end in a top hat rolled coal on me in the Miata two months ago and yeah, I was enraged. I mean poo poo, if I trusted myself enough to have a gun I probably would have shot the rear end in a top hat. This is why I don't own a gun. I fully support the ownership of guns, I just don't want one because some rear end in a top hat will die.

A few years ago I lived in Lexington KY and there were one or two cunts who did the same thing to me when I was in the Miata with the roof down. First time it happened I thought someone just had a broken truck. Second time I started daydreaming about them getting broadsided by garbage trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Yeah, first thing I thought of was LeMons or chumpcar.

There's no equivalent grassroots racing series in the UK.