Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I see that you're a regular of Toowong. I used to work in the same area and saw a lot of stupid poo poo around there.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Sorry for the lovely pic.

This thing would have had at least 15 degrees camber on the back probably 10 on the front.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

First off I'm curious how it could get camber on a beam axle front, and secondly my Fastback we managed to get onto a rack carefully and it was "only" 10* camber in the rear with 1.5* of toe in. To top it off, the bump stops had been hacksawed off and the rear trailing arms were cutting into the body itself, so I doubt it had 15* each side. To top it off, you're a bad person and wrong in every way for posting it here and we're not friends any more.

It was a joke.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
There's this ute driving around Brisbane that has a typical douchebag driving it and has the plates 'WET YET'

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

psychoticmeow posted:

Luv ya Queensland.

Where exactly was this taken?

North Ward is Townsville.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Couldn't get a picture of it but as I was driving I overtook an Mitsubishi Delica that the owner had attached a coffee tin can complete with pop up lid still attached with a metal tube sticking out of it.

It was horribly painted a really light gray, but the best part was it was mounted on the opposite side of the vehicle to the stock exhaust which was still plain to see.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SierraEchoBravo posted:

The correct choice, 100% of the time. Pantera is the best driving music.

Well, I guess it depends on your music taste but nothing beats blasting Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power and giving a car the lead foot.

An old favorite of mine was to set my friends CD playing alarm clock to some ungodly hour and cue up Great Southern Trendkill on the maximum volume.

Sure I'd get a phone call straight afterwards but I'd be laughing too much to care.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 12, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SaNChEzZ posted:

To be fair, on the driver's side it doesn't look that heinous to have to step over. However, shouldn't there be some kind of bar from the top to the bottom in more of a straight line?

Owning an S15, I can tell you that would be an utter oval office to get in and out of. The seats are mounted really low, I'm six foot one and have to crane my neck pretty crazily just to get in the thing. Plenty of room once your in but just a pinch to get in.

E: from where that bar sits in line with the inner door skin, there's like 2 feet at a stretch that you would have to slide in on a really sharp angle.

I don't know a lot about cages, but I would think that you want your every piece to be as straight as possible right.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 21, 2013

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really wish I got a video of something that happened at work the other day.

Directly across from us an APR tuning house has opened up, the owner has a brand spanking 911 turbo that sounds insane, the dyno is directly across from the entrance of our warehouse, so every day I get treated to some nice sounding cars having the piss rung out of them. (however the Golf R and Polo GTI that they have sound like poo poo)

I was working around the corner and couldn't see out of our roller doors, when I heard this car fire up and sounded like one of the cars the normally that gets a run on the dyno, I hear it reverse out and take off up the street making a right racket.

It does a u-turn and comes back but still I didn't get to see it. I hear it do another u-turn, so I walk around the corner to have a look, the guy guns it and I finally see the car making this huge racket.

This piece of poo poo Daewoo Matiz comes screaming past at about 30kmh, turns out that when you remove the whole exhaust from one of them, it sounds exactly like a Porsche. I almost lost it laughing, it was such a weird thing to see.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Brigdh posted:

There is a 6 rotor RX-4 running in New Zealand...

Seriously? Its not even boosted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3t3VcEIB-Q

It's a monster, I would love to hear it in person.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

DJ Commie posted:

I'd love to LeMons a 16V DOHC Lanos hatchback, but they are pretty rare in 5 speed form. That might be a decent car compared to, let's say, a 1987 Hyundai Excel or something.

A mate had one of those for his first car when they first came out. Suprisingly not a bad car at all, much nicer to drive than an Excel.

They used to have a racing league here in AU with I think the MIVEC engine out of the FTO (or was it some 4 banger MIVEC engine) in them, was quite interesting to watch.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

BraveUlysses posted:

Was I the only one who noticed how hosed up the driver's seat is? This thing is amazing

Its just a seat cover that's all out of place. But yes that's a giant piece of poo poo. It makes me think that its the same person that 'modded' their diesel Holden Cruze.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

How do you call shotgun in these things?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Powershift posted:

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

looks like they got their hands on some american steel.

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/31952.html

Holy poo poo, I would not want to be in that car at all. I imagine it wobbles like jelly when it moves in any direction.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The first two are dope as poo poo, by the rest are just awful.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

some texas redneck posted:

I have to wonder how these integrated displays work with polarized sunglasses. LCDs viewed "sideways" + polarized lenses generally = blank display when viewed through the glasses.

Random I guess, but my sunglasses are prescription Oakleys with polarized lenses (yes, I am stuck in 2001). My dashcam display is nearly blank when wearing them; my cellphone screen is completely dark if I hold it sideways while wearing them. I run into similar issues when I walk into a place that has LCD menu boards (which are generally LCD TVs mounted sideways with a tiny PC bolted to the back) when wearing them. I get some :catdrugs: effects if I wear them in the car, thanks to the tint - no idea what brand tint is on the windows, but everything I look at through the side windows (with the glasses on) is full of rainbows, even the sky.

Kinda makes me wonder if car makers have tested these virtual dashboards or massive touchscreens against polarized glasses, anyway.

I noticed today that in my dad's ute, the screen is only blank through polarised glasses when you tilt you head 45 degrees to the right.

I guess that solves the issue of rotatable screens as your most likely not going to have it at a 45 degree angle.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

How the gently caress did they get that last one off whatever it was attached to.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

8ender posted:

It looks stuck :smith:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Look at this fuckhead.

That person paid nearly $3500 for those plates.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If we're posting horrendous crxs.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/0302ht-yellow-honda-crx/#__federated=1

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Raluek posted:

Wh...????

E:

I don't know what the S15 sold for originally (my google-fu is weak for non-Japanese market ones, apparently), but keep in mind that there's been almost 50% inflation since 2000. An ecoboost 6-speed Mustang is, what, $26k? Divide by 1.5, that would be $17k in 2000 dollars. Was the S15 that much cheaper than that?

2001 Silvia here when released in Aus was about $35-40k depending on trim when released, maybe even more. The one we got second hand a year old was bought for $30k and that was the base model manual.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
You drive around the city right now until you find that car and document it for us.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What's the legal limit in the US? I know here in AU its 0.05 which would give them a stupid high fine and loss of license for a considerable time.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fire Storm posted:

I didn't know that heated windshields were even a thing! Apparently Ford even has a system called Quickclear. Totally would have wanted that as an option for the winter package.

My work van (2012 Transit) has this. Its definitely a great option to have here in Queensland where the coldest it gets is about 10 degrees C. /sarcasm

The screen has a massive crack along the bottom that you can't see from the driving position, I'm dreading telling the boss for fear of how much that would cost to fix, the screen is almost longer than the roof of my actual car.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Guinness posted:

Want to know the best part about those goofy exhaust tips?

(not actually hosted on autospies.com)

Peugeot used to do something wierd with their diesels.

Had a twin pipe sticking out from the bumper but it actually housed an angled pipe towards the road.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Oh I know why they do it, just have a straight bumper and dump it without having fake tips sticking out.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Styling and Excellent item.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
At least it just looks like fibreglass over-fenders and hasn't destroyed the interior.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Koenig cars are just amazingly awesome and i'd buy every single one of them if I had the money.

Thats a road legal Porsche 962.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've seen that blue Lamborghini motoring up that very same street and I'm guessing that it was his fault running into the side of the other car.

All the rich dickheads absolutely fly up Brunswick St as they are coming up from New Farm.

The amount of times I've almost had front end of the van clipped coming out of a side street, I've lost count of.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Human Grand Prix posted:

I own one, so no. Personal opinion, it's the best FWD car of the late 80s-90s.

Ahem.

Even the non-vtec models were a blast to drive. 130hp and about 950kg was nothing to sneeze at.

But yeah, Honda were really killing it in the late 80's/early 90's

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

some texas redneck posted:

We didn't get the VTEC models (or an SiR) in the US. :smith: I think the best we got was the Si, which if memory serves, had the D16A6 - so a little over 100 hp.

Not that it's exactly difficult to toss a B16, B18, D16Z6/Y8, ZC, etc into one.

SiR was the B16 VTEC model, with the other model engine for different worldwide markets like you said. Visually the headlights were slightly longer so that the angular section in the middle were both closer together, it also got a hood with the whole middle raised to accommodate the taller engine.

I had an '88 model with the ZC engine which was actually the same as the AU D16A8, I think it was about 7k rpm redline, but with a slightly different fuel map. Essentially was a Japanese import imported by Honda and sold as an AUDM model. Plastic headlights that I would have to polish at the end of every summer as the heat would cloud them up.

I could write on and on about those cars. I am constantly checking to see if any are for sale in my area, selling mine even after a slight crash was the biggest mistake of my life.

I'm the Terrible Car Stuff.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rhyno posted:

I love CRX's, you should make a thread!

I probably will one day if I can get around to it. The gen 1 Crx was also an incredibly good looking car. The gen 3 (Del Sol) didn't quite have the same appeal though.

Really need to get a negative scanner to get all my photos of it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Memento posted:

Weren't the supposed to be rear-engined at one point, and then they carried over the shape even though they went with the FF setup? Am I imagining that that was the original intent? I swear I remember reading something like that in a car magazine back when they were still relevant.

It's an oldie and never got finished, but this guy was building a turbo H22 mid mounted Del Sol back in the day.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/gemini-project-mid-engine-rwd-h22-turbo-del-sol-1266033/

That would have been a handful to drive.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Powershift posted:

And that's why you always leave a note.

Thank you.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rhyno posted:

"I don't understand why my wiper isn't getting rid of this streak on my windshield.

There's this old ute that comes into work where one of the wiper blades is missing and instead of buying a new blade for a couple of dollars and a few minutes work, they have tied chuxx wipes to each of the mounting arms so it doesnt scratch the window when they use it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Local twitter:

:cry: RIP beautiful angel

If anything in this thread has taught me, someone will graft a mustang front clip onto that and call it a day.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Scruff McGruff posted:

I like how the crowd starts out like "lol, party on bro!" to "oh poo poo he's getting kind of close" to "uh oh dude, better get out of here, there's cops" to "WOAH DUDE WTF YOU HIT MY TRAILER HOW DARE YOU DRIVE LIKE THAT YOU'D BETTER STOP RIGHT NOW!". Pretty much the living embodiment of It's all fun and games until someone(s trailer) gets hurt.

These pop up every so often on Japanese Classics and they're always so tempting.

Someone please buy this https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-honda-beat-4/.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hell even on my lovely base model 2011 i30, I can leave the lights on a d they turn off 5 minutes after locking the car.

Headlights should just come as standard now when you start the car, the amount of times I've been honking at another driver who doesn't have lights on in the rain is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
LPG is pretty much at every Australian petrol station and most cars are dual fuel.

Taxis use to be the main users until diesel and hybrids gained traction.