Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

Am I the only person who had to google him to figure out who the gently caress he is?

Nope. Me too. My entire fashion repertoire consists of cheap T shirts, khaki / drab / camo cargo shorts / trousers and steel cap boots. I know nothing of this "fashion" they speak of. Now I think of it, I don't actually even own any shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

You mean returning to normal - it's been a few years since a true burn your rear end off summer has happened.

That's true. I think it hit just shy of 45*C here a couple of days ago. Cloud cover is providing some relief but I'm expecting another summer with temps hovering around 50*C again. Looks like another few months of being trapped indoors during daylight hours. Might have to spring for BF3 Premium.
Seriously is this how people in the colder U.S. states feel during the winter?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yep. You can rug up until you look like the Michelin Man and generally be okay as long as you don't get wet. On the other hand with heat you can only strip down so far and the heat will still be fatal. Doesn't even need to be during the day. usually when it's hot during the day it's still 40*C+ during the night.
One night like that there was a power failure. We got through okay, but it literally killed our neighbour. Real shame. I liked him.

Anyhow my original point was that I see all these people saying they won't go out to work on their car because it's below x degrees. I'm looking at it from that perspective but with heat / sun.
At least you don't need to worry about warming the engine up here in summer. A decent chunk of the year the car is already at the lower part of operating temperature before it's even been started.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jamal posted:

If I had to guess, I would say that more people die of hypothermia than heat stroke.

Well, that's entirely dependent on where you are talking about.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=australia+heat+related+deaths
Hypothermia couldn't possibly be as big a killer here. Colder climates it easily could be.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this at all. If anything a Corvette should be the ultimate self-depreciating car guy car? It goes fast and handles well for not a lot of money and is just middle American values on wheels.

They start at like what $45k? That's BMW-3-series-with-leather money, what is there to be an insufferable prick *about*? Are these people just sill thinking in 1983 dollars?

I really want a Viper one day, and there are enough Viper owners in my town to actually have a club where they go on cruises and poo poo. I wonder what their meets are like? Presumably the people who are bad drivers/insufferable are all killed in no-ABS-no-ETC crashes/set on fire by the exhaust early in their ownership.

Not a freaking clue. Even my fairlane was something over $60000 when it was new. I suspect that was in 1996 dollars too. I bet that owner had shocking buyers remorse.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have NRMA Premium or whatever they call it now. A bloody ripoff but it's the only service that even comes close now. It's been cut down to something like a 100km maximum tow radius. in remote areas or 50km elsewhere. Used to be able to get towed home. 100km is useless. Especially when driving a car with parts made out of cold forged unobtainium. I've travelled an awful lot further than that just for a doctor's appointment. gently caress you NRMA and your cost cutting because you were stupid and sold your insurance division.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I don't know how common it is but probably nearly 20 years ago now I knew someone with a Land Cruiser 75? series with a tray back that had one of those bags under the tray sitting on a platform. The tray had a pivot on the back and there was a valve in the exhaust to divert flow to it. Are exhaust powered tipper utes a thing, or was this a one-off? It worked well either way.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bidikyoopi posted:

Let's just cut to the chase and say all stickers of any kind, legit or not, are lame. Do whatever you want to your car, but don't think that just because you actually ran a marathon or drove on a road it makes you less lame. If you want to start a conversation, use words.

So you have a problem with my free "Nothing beats beef" sticker I got from the counter at the butcher? Or the Hello Kitty Pez sticker on the dash (which through coincidence matches the fuzzy blue Hello Kitty seat covers). What. I'm allowed to. Not my seat covers anyway.

Oh or the Fuckenbroken sticker on the VW?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I was torn on whether this goes in awesome or terrible. I chose this.

A russian rotary. What could possibly go wrong?

Rehosted on imgur. Stolen from here

I was just looking for the viking ship logo when I found that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Madre la dios :stare:

Are you happy with what you've found, thread, are you happy

Has Snorkelstang been posted yet?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I just had a thought so incredibly awful that it deserves to go into this thread to be shamed: Why has nobody made a car with electroluminescent panels? Think Timex Indiglo.

Then, sure enough... somebody had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mof8Kv85oy0

Next up will be donks lit up like Times Square.

I have actually wondered this. But seriously the bonnet? Poor driver :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got another one for you. This is an OEM car part new from the factory.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You found it. You found the coolest car.

And on the other end of scale there's a fairly modern ('90s maybe?) Volvo sedan in my town. Besides the really early ones I never see Volvos except as a wagon. For some reason it holds my gaze every time I drive past it.

:edited for missing words. wtf.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

dissss posted:

They used it on Australian model Fords too like the Laser/Telstar/Fairmont/Territory

Fairlane Sportsman Ghia. Hell of a model name. Especially because I don't know of any non Ghia Fairlanes.
Fairlane is for the LWB package. Ghia includes... I have no goddamned idea because there are no hard and fast rules. Fairmont is the model that replaces Falcon when the Ghia suffix is added. Then there is the the LTD which is a Fairlane again with a different set of particularly gaudy options. Oh can't forget the XR6 and XR8 Falcons with the go faster bits (The Fairlane Sportsman in I6 configuration got the XR6 motor. The V8 I think got the same as the LTD). What have I missed. The GL is the poverty pack with barebones trim and crappy green backlit gauges.

That's something else. Depending on the trim type the gauges are backlit a different colour.

The Aussie naming conventions are a bloody mess.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Devyl posted:

Is the interior upholstered in Burburry?

I was kind of hoping the interior would be made out of custom pressed Birmabright.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have to pull out the element and tip / beat the dust out and empty out all the dead bugs / rocks every few thousand km. I couldn't even imagine how angry a sealed filter would make me. Probably even angrier than the sealed transmission does. Obligatory statement. gently caress you, Ford.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

oddspelling posted:

What the hell is that thing? Some early attempt at natural-gas powered car?

Not exactly. Unless I'm mistaken it's the same as wood gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mah_Freend_Amee posted:

I can't imagine that this works great as a mirror replacement.

I did that with a single larger one for a while which at least sort of works. Great for FOV but not so good for judging distances / locations.Had to buy a new power mirror assembly just to strip the glass and its little plastic clip from.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

blk posted:

Stuff White People Like: Giving themselves ecological guilt complexes and trying to buy their way out.

(on an Evoque)

I read that as carbon not neutral.

With the whole bright colours thing, our local police car colours were inspired by Windows' Hotdog stand theme. Bright red, yellow and blue. I mean one of each. Not harlequin cop cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My car is "Mocha Foam". If you look inside the engine bay where it has the colour but not the metallic finish it's essentially baby poo.

I like white cars. Not a fan of the colour, but they are easy to see under most conditions, don't show body damage as much, reflect heat pretty well and are drat easy to patch sections on without it standing out. Which is good for me because I'm not fantastic at keeping paint attached to cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Yep, I know they have electronic record of stickers in Mass, not sure about NH.

Car color chat... I have all patriotic colors (no seriously, a red one, a white one, a blue one, and a camo one :911:) and people try to merge into me about the same amount no matter what I'm driving.

People drive like stupid dickheads around here, but I think that's a constant everywhere.

Yep. Although they don't seem to do it as often if they know they'll come out of it worse off / can't get any money out of the person they are ramming.

Still on my list for the right vehicle is a full external cage. There's a town I still have to visit occasionally. Lived there for a while. Being there is like watching one of those Eastern European accident video compilations. It's such a goddamn disaster. Even seen a couple of bicycle riders get hit at different times. One of the most classic was at a crossing of sorts. There's a factory that is split up on either side of the road. They have traffic lights and boom gates which lower to let forklifts cross the road. The traffic was stopped because the gates were down. A gap was left at the adjacent car park entrance so a worker going home or something pulled out into the gap, which is fair enough. His car was still at a bit of an angle because of the car in front. Maybe 20 seconds later the car behind him released the brakes and slowly accelerated into the side of this poor bastard's car. None of the traffic was moving still because the gates were still down / the lights were red.

These people make Melbourne drivers look like goddamn pros.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

It looks like a couple of pieces of swage and a piece of tygon tubing. All of which more then likely cost more then the real parts would have.

I wish I understood what that means. It seems very interesting. So the tubing is questionable? That's pretty bad then. I even use fiber and mesh reinforced thick wall oil hose in the cooling system / heater / air bleed. Meters of the stuff. Why would they cheap out on that. It's not exactly bank breakingly expensive.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Looks to me like silicone heater hose. I'd bet dollars to donuts that those are JIC hydraulic fittings, with the threads acting as "barbs".

But...but the barb fittings are readily available. And threads act as a wonderful wick when mated to a hose.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

So who wants to buy my '72 Kawasaki F6 125 Enduro. It worked the last time I tried.. around '97. Hoses and electrics will likely need some help by now. It's 6v, and other than a rebuilt carb and essentials, all original with a lovely rattlecan paintjob atop of the faded factory.. :q:

Sounds loving awesome! You know I actually probably would if geographical separation wasn't an issue.

Just wanted to chip in to say I give motorcyclists and trucks due respect. Other motorists in general actually. Unless you gently caress with me. You really don't want to do that. How I haven't copped a ..what is it, $10000 fine for road rage and various other things I don't know.
That reminds me. When I was in Autobarn I think it was I saw a hook attachment for a receiver hitch. Been debating on whether I should buy one. It may be useful for using the steel cable on, but the more interesting use is in car parks. I usually leave the hitch with the load leveling bar mount on because it's the shape of a sharpened wedge. Makes a mess of peoples cars who drive into my parking space. I was thinking the hook might mix things up a bit so instead of impaling their car outright it can tear a chunk out of it when they leave. Wish I knew what I did with the photos. Whenever I found a parked car attempting to become one with mine I'd take a picture making sure to get both cars and the position of the line in to shot so they can't pull some liability poo poo on me.

I'm sure that's terrible car stuff. I'm a horrible bastard at times :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Yes you are. I hate bashing my shins and knees on removable hitches sticking out from the back of trucks/SUVs when it's dark out. I'm just trying to walk through a parking lot, jerks t:mad:

Yeah, I swear a little then think it's done worse to others. poo poo, that reminds me I have to take it off before I leave today. It's a travel day and I wouldn't put it past those Bartertown fuckers to steal it.

Also watch where you are going. Seriously. I could be a lot worse than a hitch. I actually have a tiny little dynamo / battery LED torch on my keyring for that sort of thing. Gets used all the time.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

It's fun, and a noisy little street/dirt legal 2 cycle. However, I know I am not a teenager anymore, and since I hurt just existing, I try not to propel myself at rocks with marginal protection these days.

However, that doesn't mean that you won't be fine. v:v:v

I hear you on that. I'm in my 30s now, and while my body is pretty hosed up it's also orders of magnitude better than it was for the last 20 odd years. I've gone from hating every moment I've drawn breath to kind of wanting to do all the things I couldn't / didn't want to do for various reasons. Sort of like a midlife crisis but I'm not trying to recapture any fondly remembered memories. I just want to actually do some stuff before I get too decrepit again. Being a mad bastard doesn't help either :lol:
Relatively speaking my body is still hosed but I'm learning about all these new things. It's like buying a reasonably priced used car. In just the last week I learned that heat and cold have more than boolean states for unpleasantness, and that I don't hate being submersed in water anymore because it doesn't feel horrible to me now. Also I'm not consciously aware of all my bones constantly, breathing doesn't make my lungs burn, and I don't have this constant urge to get away from my own skin.
gently caress bodies. seriously.

Terrible car stuff... um. Has anyone else seen the link to the RHD converted beetle? I'm not sure where I saw it. The gist of it is someone that shouldn't be allowed near anything sharp modified their beetle. The wonders including roughly splicing together a pedal cluster and converting it to RHD so it'd be exotic. Using 5 lug wheels on 4 lug hubs held on with a couple of bolts per wheel that somehow lined up, and various other atrocities. Somehow I think the fuel tank was propped up with a bit of wood for some reason too. If anyone remembers where this was posted, seriously please say. It was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

YES! Thanks. I didn't realise it was on AVD. I thought it was on thesamba. To everyone else, the posted photos are only a part of the horror.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Why the gently caress would you do this to a car? And it appears to be a 67 also judging by the knobs. It's a fat chick without the padded dash. Crisis averted.

What's wrong with S beetles? drat fun cars to drive. Also is the dash cover a U.S. only thing like with the Bays? Our dashes are metal.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

All the better to blind you with for not getting an old Holden.

Yeah... no. All the old farts around here still drive theirs. I've said it somewhere before. Cars here don't die. No rust and no hills.

edit ^^^^veedubfreak. Don't know how I missed that. I was more concentrated on the horror. I mean poo poo, not only have I owned VWs I used to work at an ACVW mechanic in exchange for experience and use of the equipment. Saw some horrors there too but nothing like that.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 9, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I didn't realise those things worked on their side. Or is that the purpose of that photo?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nah, just that metallic baby poo. Which kind of blends in with the dust and dead grass too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

My favorite thing to do after a close call with an rear end in a top hat driver is to hang back for a while, then when traffic slows, catch back up, and give them the "I'm watching you" gesture. It always scares the poo poo out of them.

I do something sort of like that, but a little more abrupt. People tend to get spooked when a large car that they just did something assholish to drops back then nails it at the back of their car. It may have a sedate exhaust too, but I could probably fit my arm in it so when it's wound up the wheezer gives a lovely demon roar. Generally they get the idea.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

holy loving poo poo :stare:

What did they claim you did to provoke this when the police arrived to lock their asses up? :wtf:

I have a few tales of my own. But at least I rope myself back in unlike some people which I've encountered which are out for blood. In both cases I recall, they were the ones driving like a dick and something simple like a horn honk sets them off.

The most memorable was a car full of men of unspecified ethnicity hanging out the windows screaming in god knows what language trying to run the car off the road. That was after they didn't observe correct roundabout rules. Funnily enough the next intersection up on a completely different date I encountered a car going around a roundabout in the wrong direction. gently caress Melbourne sometimes. Great drivers compared to Shepparton. gently caress them unconditionally.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

My first week in the states and I went around 3 different roundabouts the wrong way. Luckily it was at night and nobody was there, which is also why I probably didn't think of it.

I didn't think they had roundabouts there because of freedom or communism or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tobu posted:

Some 'p' platers pulled up beside me in their RX8 and pointed repeatedly at their 'FOURDOORS4WHORES' sticker.

I don't know what they were trying to tell me. I mean they have four doors too right? :confused:

They were out soliciting.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

:ms: No further description required, I can picture in my head what the rest of the car probably looked like.

Where have I seen that befo

Oh.

Hellasplash.

It's Snorkelstang's cousin!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So you mean I could have kept the old gear oil from my beetle and made a fortune selling it as radar absorbent paint?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If they labelled it as horse, I'd buy it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

The Audi badge or being near Melbourne?

e: no wait I know that road... hmm. I want to say somewhere southeast but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I-17 inside the 101 is loving terrifying and no, there really isn't a breakdown lane on it. Just a shoulder barely wide enough to fit a Miata into.

Makes me think of sections of road out near Melbourne. Concrete barriers either side and no shoulder at all. I always feel my rear end clench driving through those sections because if anything breaks down there including my car the results wouldn't be pretty.