Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm glad we got the CL and Mechanical Failures threads back (because they are awesome) but in addition we now have this thread which means my terrible car-related mishap enjoyment has been effectively doubled! Christmas came early, thanks Papa Calculus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

winter.mute posted:

on my way home last night I saw this gem sitting at one of the local "Buy Here, Pay Here" used car lots.
I was really curious about what was going on under that Acura SUV floor mat and welcome mat sitting on the back.

Holy poo poo. Is that a real GT40? Kit car? Did it have a price on it?

Also I totally would have peeked under that mat.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had a friend who had an automatic gt, but he wanted to make it handle better so he bought the IRS from a cobra. He never swapped it in or anything, it just spent numerous years in pieces in the garage, but that meant that he could brag about having a rear setup from a cobra.

Yes, we made fun of him a lot. He eventually sold it, but I think he still has the cobra stuff. :parrot:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine did too, until I told her how small it is on the inside (I think it's actually got a smaller interior than our Mazda3 hatch). At a glance it appeals to the I-want-a-crossover crowd but it is really, really small for a crossover.

My gf refers to them as "that hamster car." The first time she did it, and mentioned she thought it was a nissan, I instantly knew what she was referring to.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Driving around at regular city speeds with a gas can propping up your hood. :downs:

He's just got the optional air-cooled version. Gotta keep the airflow up!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I recently had a conversation with a friend thinking about replacing her Jetta with something not so failure-prone:

"You should be looking at Toyotas, Nissans, maybe Subarus if you need AWD, Hondas although the more recent ones don't seem quite as good quality for the money."

"Well, ok, but there's this sebring down the street for sale...."

:stonk:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
wrong thread! -snip-

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 8, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Most of us have to wait in line. But why the heck does it matter that it's a diesel? Special diesel plates?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yesterday I was sitting at my desk which overlooks the road outside when I saw a tow truck drive by towing an almost mint mid-90s Oldsmobile 88. Why was it not completely mint, you ask? Well, there seemed to be some sort of V8 engine sticking straight up out of the windshield. I was too slow pulling my phone out to get a picture but it was easily one of my more WTF car moments ever.

I imagined the guy at the junkyard first trying to fit it into the trunk, then studying the car for a moment before having the brainstorm of "just drop it into the windshield!"

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 4, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I used to drive a mkiii jetta which I got rid of at 170k miles because it was nickel and dime-ing me to death with typical VW poo poo, and the output seal in the tranny was shot and leaking gear oil. I got $500 from some mexican kid whose buddy owned a shop.

My best friend had the same car, except he had been running lovely rear end low-pro tires on some stupid rims, had 200k on his and struts that had been blown for 5+ years that made it bounce around so bad on the freeway that it was downright dangerous.

He sold that jetta for $2200 to some dad that was buying a car for his son (and he sold it with steelies on it, not the rims). Part of me is pissed that I didn't get more for mine, but then I just imagine the kid that bought my friend's going over his first pothole on the interstate and bouncing into the median.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Seriously? I've never needed it while riding but I've always felt extra comfortable on my longer rides that if something went wrong I have AAA. I don't think I like how this makes me feel...

I mean, for a year I only had a bike (no car) but I kept my AAA just in case. I guess I would have been SOL?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Honestly that is exactly the type of behavior I expect from people who would engage in a truck tug of war.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

National Geographic channel covers L.A. Street Racers for an episode, and it is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jky79YsH0mY

Oh god this is awful. "FIVE HUNDRED HORSEPOWER!" *heavy metal guitar riff*

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They did one about Seattle street racing that I watched last night. I haven't checked out the LA one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawafKIPzrU

Jesus christ this one might even be worse than the Compton one. Gotta love that cop talking about how "all the street racers just use 4 cylinder so, you know, I can catch up to them with my charger. :smug:"

At least the LA one had cool cars.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Ok finally found an answer, for the Porsche 7 speed anyway. 7th is blocked from any gear other than 6th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIO2ZA9Kpx4

Is that... a german with a shaved head, wearing FUBU, reviewing a brand new Porsche? That was weird.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

pylb posted:

Here's something that I saw last year. :confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6iL3wHTZc

Dazzle paintjobs are pretty sweet... and maybe it's an attempt to fool speed cameras?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
"You should do it!"

"I'm pregnant, otherwise I would!" :downs:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

I stared at the decal on the back window for a solid 10 minutes.. it was some kind of helicopter or some stupid bullshit. I'd also like to note the glossy finish on the rear diff with the bald eagle painted on that had an american flag overlayed.

HOLY poo poo that diff is :911:.

Also what the gently caress does that plate mean? I keep seeing "empty diaper."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Meanwhile, at WalMart..

(not my photo)

You know, I don't think her kids actually feel that way about Mom's smoking ("We don't eat where Mom can't smoke!")

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Welp I just learned something today! I always thought they were the same company, and I'll admit I even wore a fox racing shirt once or twice. But I've also owned plenty of [mountain] bikes with Fox suspension components.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
He went from the Tail to the Mouth of the Dragon. Complete with fire-breath. But its ok, he had his kevlar gloves on :whatup:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

On a Focus

E: ok yeah sure he could be a Honda bikes fan but you know that's not what's going on in that pic

It seems like that's exactly what's going on. Plenty of people spend all their money on bikes and end up with a crappy focus or whatever dd.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Those protege5s rust worse than any other car in recent memory.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Love those lil' michigan gumball lights. So old school!

And yeah, no emergency vehicles in MN need plates as far as I can tell. Sometimes they have an actual MN plate but it just says "POLICE" instead of any actual plate number.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Whenever I see an old avenger, stratus, 300m, or sebring, I just get irrationally angry that someone would buy one of them.

At least this guy is proud of his purchase?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Those spectators are so polite. I would have been maniacally cackling after the first few slid off.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So is paying someone else's hospital bills because you hydroplaned into them on the freeway.

(I have a friend like this, I refuse to ride in his car)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

G-Mach posted:

Finally got the video of Ken Block being dumb and almost hitting spectators/marshals/photographers at the rally this weekend.
All of the amateur rally guys that I've talked to that have seen this can't believe he did what he did. This was one of the very few spectator areas in the whole rally as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t37sZuvDycI

Then, after that just down the road (less than a mile) he managed to flip his car what I was told seven times and destroyed it.

Rally has hard enough time in the USA as it is without this poo poo.

Holy gently caress. I usually go to the LSPR but I skipped it this year due to scheduling conflicts. That is some gnarly poo poo for sure. Kinda upset I didn't get to see him roll though!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I drove cross-country to do some backcountry hiking in western montana and the panhandle of idaho this past summer, while I wanted to take two cars the rest of my group decided we'd be best off taking a chevy venture that was "totally good to go and up to date on maintenance." First our A/C compressor seized after blowing metal shavings all over the engine bay. No biggie I guess, coulda happened to anyone...

Then 18 hours later at 1 am on a windy switchback I noticed that the brake pedal wasn't really doing anything much except going to the floor... so I geared down and started braking with the ebrake (this is hard to do on a pedal-type ebrake), which apparently was also on its last legs and had two settings: "off" and "lock the back wheels up while we keep going forward."

When I found a level spot (in front of a sign warning us about the upcoming 7% grade) for us to pull over and camp for the night, nobody else seemed at all bothered about the fact that we had no brake fluid left, brake lines had burst and the ebrake cable was literally hanging loose under the car.

So basically non-car people have no appreciation for "almost died" incidents.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah. I didn't get any sleep that night.

I actually noticed the brakes because we had some amazing aurora borealis going on, so I pulled over to shut the lights off and check them out for a sec. Then when we started rolling again I attempted some emergency stops and didn't stop. The rest of the group wanted to continue on to our scheduled campsite, which was about 2000 vertical feet lower in elevation than where I actually stopped. I'm glad we saw the northern lights.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah this is where you loving floor it and not give a gently caress about the crossing arm.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is there a website that catalogs various fiero "mods" into cars that claim to be something other than a fiero? Because there should be one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Ror posted:

Those terrible parkers remind me of a guy from reddit who posted pictures of his office's lot that has no lines. It's a wonderful look at order versus chaos.

http://myofficeparkinglot.tumblr.com/

This reminds me of my high school's lot in the snow. Rows of cars would start off normal but converge to a single mass by the back of the lot, often leaving 10+ people parked in.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah the preemptive salting is exceedingly annoying. They just dump it all over as soon as it starts dipping below freezing, even though it's undoubtedly going to rain a bit when it's above zero and all that salt is going to just wash right into the rivers. Then when it actually snows, they've wasted half the salt budget on poisoning the gulf of mexico.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Brining works great for the first 6 hours of a snowfall, then it is worthless.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I get it, sort of, because I used to run a [stock] mkiii with a roof rack and both a thule box on it in the winter and a couple bike racks in the summer. But all the "dubber" dudes I knew would seriously find bikes on craigslist, paint them with a rattlecan to make them match their vw's paint scheme, and then toss them on a bike rack. Not to use, mind you - just to accent their vw with a hint of "I do things other than be a smug dubber rear end in a top hat." It really bugged me. They literally never took the bikes off, they just sat up there all summer long.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think one of the funniest car related things I have ever seen was an old friend who went to school in Arizona coming back to the upper midwest with his brand new IS 250 RWD on summer performance tires. Watching him try to navigate my neighborhood's ice and snow covered streets was nothing short of hilarious (as long as I wasn't in the car with him). He maintained that "traction control and patience" were all he needed.

:rolleyes: Yeah right, buddy. And a healthy insurance policy.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of surprised at how they refer to it as if a counterbalance isn't something in common use today.

Most elevators, except for hydraulic elevators (which you rarely see outside of anything taller than 3 stories), use them.

The idea was used pretty regularly back in the streetcar days, too, but often it would involve waiting for a streetcar going the other direction and just hook the two together to act as each other's counterweight.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

M42 posted:

Is there anything you can even do in that sliding-down-the-icy-hill situation?

Downshift, take your foot off the brake, try to point it straight down the hill and hope your tires have enough grip to slow you down via engine braking.

Or steer into a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I used to live in a triplex and at the time I only had a motorcycle, so of course I was commuting on it every day. The girl in the upstairs unit had some sort of parakeet or parrot-like bird and it would loving tweet day in and day out, which could be heard throughout the house.

This girl would regularly run outside when I was getting my gear on and chastise me for firing up my bike in the morning. At 8 am. It was on stock exhaust, not loud at all.

I attempted to placate her by riding it down the driveway into the street before firing it up, but to no avail - she would continue to complain whenever she was given the chance. Eventually I gave up and started firing it up right next to her window, because gently caress you if you can't handle a small amount of noise at 8 am on a weekday.

This girl would also regularly park us in by parking at the very beginning of the driveway, which at that point is only one car width wide, while two or more people were parked in the parking spots behind the house. This happened to me once during a snow storm which occurred the day before I was supposed to leave for a road trip. Solution? After banging on her door to no avail, I called a friend with a jeep and we simply dragged her Geo Prism halfway into the street so that I could get around her.