Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

revmoo posted:

Windshield replacement is one of those things that it really is better to just pay a pro. Same with mounting/balancing tires.

Truth, although last time I had it done it was during the fall and I called one of those "we come to you" places. Windshield was fine, but the 5 cubic feet of leaves that somehow got stuffed into my blower motor and vents wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hard to tell because this dude was doing about a hundred, but he has two gigantic nuts (of the hexagonal steel variety) hanging off his back bumper. When I saw him approaching in my rearview, with the gigantic skull on his grille, I thought it'd be terrible. But those nuts... I'm not sure.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 13, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How gross do you think the interior of that van is? It's gotta just be covered in a layer of cigarette tar.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

"My dogs vote?" :confused:

Can you imagine being that addicted to loving cigarettes of all things? Jesus.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

This guy looks really pissed. :catstare:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A friend's dad had his explorer stolen in the mid 90s. Recovered a week later, he also asked "are you absolutely sure there are no drugs in the car?" to which the police reassured him they'd given it the once-over with the dog.

A few months later he got in a minor fender bender that dislodged the rear bumper. There was half a kilo of cocaine in it. Which he returned to the police.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ehh at least those are just rat tails and not vacuum lines!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Conversely, a friend of mine was shopping for a new pickup last year, and they don't sell F150s with a manual anymore.

So aggravating to have to go to f250 (do these even offer a stick anymore) or even larger just to get a manual on the type of vehicle where a manual would be most useful.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

My best friend used to drive a grand am and his vents did this. I couldn't resist playing with it whenever the air was on. He'd always flip out at me but that just added to the hilarity. It's not gonna hurt your car dude, you drive a mid nineties grand am.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

angryhampster posted:

I tried discussing the modern HEMI engine at a party a few months ago. The guy I was talking to owns an '08 Ram with one. When explaining that it's not like the old engine with hemispherical combustion chambers, and it's really just a clever marketing stunt, hear started whipping out personal insults and threatened to fight me. I was dumbfounded.

I've had this conversation as well.

I've also learned to not discuss anything related to cars with pickup truck owners unless I have reason to believe they are not total loving idiots. This is very rarely the case (no offense to any pickup owners here, I like trucks but not 90% of the people that drive them.)

I remember like 8 years ago my coworker had just bought a new titan and the first thing he did was to lift the back end and lower the front. It looked so goddamned dumb, and I know for a fact he doesn't haul jack poo poo with it. He couldn't stop bragging about how "sick" it looked, either.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Not exactly terrible per se, but I just saw a brand new hilux surf edition, rhd, with DOD sticker and Texas plates. In Minnesota. How the gently caress is that thing registered in the us?

I want one.

Actually apparently they don't make these anymore so it was probably a 2009. Guessing the guy brought it back from Japan but no clue as to how he registered it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ahh, that makes sense.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Canada is "protect everyone"-happy.

Unless you are first nations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had the minimum on my first car because I was a dumb teenager. 10k accident max, I had one accident (following too closely like a dumb highschooler, car in front decided to turn left w/o signal) and that accident got me a few dollars away from $10k. Made my butthole pucker for sure. Now 500k per vehicle.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

While doctors are paid well, they don't get paid the rate that the hospital bills them at. Doctors are out of the loop on the billing side of things.

Yeah I have multiple family members that are doctors and while they do make a nice living they are the first to tell me that we need *major* heathcare system reform like NOW. They make a pittance compared to the executives and administrators on the hospital management company's board.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Do you hear anything in the cab when wheels are doing that? I see that happening from time to time and I always wonder if it's just silent or what.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have no idea who this guy is but he's got alberta plates so would't "oil money" be the assumed source of funds? Or at least other people with oil money, willing to spend it on retardedly done-up supercars?

I mean there's always these amazing cars on kajiji I see the alberta guys posting in the craigslist gold thread, I just assumed it was because there were so many people with oil money. I certainly met more than one 20something male who was into hot cars or racing when I lived in Calgary, and they all seemed to have money stemming from the oil business in one way or another (petroleum engineer, businessperson for oil company, oilfield worker, or just straight up oil money.)

Of course most of the oilfield workers just build brotrucks.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 13, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Now if their QC is seriously that bad (and it is) why the gently caress would you ever drop six+ figures on a car from them?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

But in typical chrysler :doh: its not only an auto, its the A604 internals stuffed into a different housing, so you get a inefficient, temperamental 4 speed auto.

:stare: Is that the same one that was in all the grand caravans? The kind that needed to be reprogrammed often?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

Rat rods built in 40 years time are going to suck

Junkyard turbo ratted out subaru outbacks with welded diffs doing burnouts at the veteran's day parade? I'm looking forward to that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

So the way I see it, new tires on the front makes it easier to drift your Mercury Cougar.

Seriously though, I remember watching some WRC commentary once that went counter to this advice. I guess the difference there is race car driver vs regular driver.

I think in situations where you are running a 4wd vehicle in a race environment you want the newer tires in the front as newer = more tread = larger rolling radius. If you have a larger radius tire in the back, it means you are going to be "pushing" against the front tires which are trying to roll a bit slower. If you have the new tires in the front, it means that the fronts will be turning a bit faster than the rears, which means the back will be "pulled" a bit from the front and will be more likely to slide around (which is a good thing in rallies I'm guessing.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

I kind of want to own a turbo Corvair just for that reason. :(

With the updated suspension, sure.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I've fitted my share of absolutely lethal chinese tyres to lovely econoboxes and I can categorically say that I'd rather have the 'good' tyres on the front. Maybe american roads are of a different surface but sticking supercats, ling-longs or blacklions on an otherwise competent FWD car makes you instantly sledge at the slightest hint of rain. I'm not meaning 'some understeer' that you can control by buttoning off, I'm meaning you enter a roundabout and the car just continues to travel at a tangent regardless of your inputs. You have to manually straighten the wheel into the slide, apply the brakes, then resume turning.

Two things:

a) I've never encountered tires that were that bad unless they were completely bald or there was significant standing water on the roadway.

b) Europeans get a whole lot more training before they are allowed to drive. In the US it's basically "can you drive around for a few hours without hitting something? OK, now can you do the same for 5 minutes at the DMV? You are now certified to drive for the rest of your life." These conditions do not lend themselves to American drivers actually knowing how to react when they start to spin.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kastein posted:

(he does need an actually well built bumper for that thing, though, just ripping the stock front cover off is pretty trailer trash.)

I've been rolling with one half of my bumper ripped off since I bought the XJ (it came like that) because I'm way too lazy find a spare or take the other one off.

I think people steer clear of me because they think I hit things often. This dude that parks next to me with his mint condition 98 prelude watches me out the window of his apartment whenever I am coming or going. Last week he ran out to inspect his paint because he thought I hit his car with my door. (I don't think he counted on me chastising him for not buying one with the 4 wheel steering!)

I'm actually super cautious about that kind of stuff but looking at my jeep you'd think I'm as trailer trash as it gets. I feel weird not having a dip in and a pack of steel reserve in the trunk.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think that's why you need to add some sort of flammable gear oil, and then flour. BOOM.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Why wouldn't you start with a drat touareg?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

I love the lazy rear end scratch as he looks at the empty wheel well. Hmm, I guess I'm missing this wheel? *Yawn*

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Jesus Chrysler. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
JB weld?