Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Memento1979 posted:

Holden Torana Hatch Hutch. This was sold by the factory, to take advantage of the inexplicable Australian fascination with camping.

They just like to screw outdoors. Nobody can fault them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Previa_fun posted:

The Camaro is so ugly and gaudy anyway those wheels don't really hurt much.

I agree. Donking a modern Comaro is just how its supposed to be done. With the bloated beltline and everything, big tires just make it look better. It's one of a handful of cars that just seemed made for it. (What I'm trying to say is that the new models look like Matchbox toys. To me, the proportions are wrong to begin with.)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JP Money posted:

"This mustang will go from 0 to 241 KMH ...in 10 seconds." Who the gently caress decided KMH was the best method to report the speed here?

How else can you say you have a 10 second car?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Florida has no inspections at all, as far as I'm aware. One year, I re-registered a Chrysler Fifth Avenue that was in "limp home" mode. I did it all online. Drove that ugly bastard for 8 months in second gear.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
<nothing to see here>

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 17, 2013

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CommieGIR posted:

The new Jeep look.

:gonk:

That's no Cherokee. That's a Rav4 that melted in the sun. :cry:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Poing posted:

Or that none of these things were physically possible in 25 feet at 60mph. What is the RT of a pro top fuel driver who is WAITING for the light to turn green?

Or he could be exaggerating and it's really not worth arguing over.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fucknag posted:

I wouldn't trust that thing on road. I fear the Cherokee, unlike its Wrangler stablemate, may have its chassis unibody rigidity rather compromised by chopping the roof and doors off.

It was bad enough just having doors off of my Cherokee; the body flex was unnerving. If you take away the roof, it folds.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CommieGIR posted:

This is all over the South, and a good half of the time its some dead infant, how do so many infants die in the South?

I wasn't going to comment on this after the first picture, but your response points out something terrible. Yes, the south, and any Republican state in general, skimps on health care and child care. Once you take your new infant home, all bets are off. Did your baby catch a cough? gently caress off. Oh, your dear little one has a genetic condition? gently caress off. Oh, you both lost your jobs and can't feed your baby? gently caress off.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

djdanno13 posted:

Um half of those states are democrat controlled while besides California and new York the other blue states are republican controlled. Maybe, just maybe, it's related to poverty and poor education that have been endemic to the south since the end of the civil war. Thanks for trying to divert a car thread into politics chat dick face.

Sorry. It's just that almost every family I grew up with lost a baby at some point in time. The south has serious issues with infant mortality, even among the well-to-do.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That or drunk. That stretch of road isn't exactly taxing.

Intoxicated, according to the article.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

angryhampster posted:

Promoted to a different company entirely?

Have a Saturn:

I'll bet that's a SC1/SOHC with cloth seats and an automatic. I'll call that a mercy killing.

This is a proper Saturn coup:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

riding the fuel cut through a town.

Can you explain to the uneducated what this means? I tried googling it...something about the fuel cut-off but I don't understand at all.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

When you hit the rev limiter it cuts fuel. Try holding your RPM at maximum and seeing what happens. Basically you bounce between hitting the max and dropping a little.

Ah! I've done that. Probably did untold amounts of damage to the engine, though.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Midniter posted:

This image is awesome because of the reaction all the people had when told to raise their hands or whatever. Spend some time going from person to person looking at them in detail, it's really quite interesting to see the different levels of enthusiasm. My personal favorite is the guy all the way on the right who looks more like he's about to salute Hitler than raise his hands like the rest of them.

The guy in the blue tie is DEFINITELY not amused by PR bullshit.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

aventari posted:

You'd think this would work wouldn't you?

I also go the extra mile of washing and waxing my wheels that I bring in just to show them that I care about my wheels and want them treated well
Then I tell the guy at the counter to please not scratch them as they are nearly new and I've had wheels scratched before.

They always say the same thing, :smug: "We are very careful sir, we don't scratch or blemish anything" :smug:

Then when you pick them up, all four look like this

This is why we can't have nice things. I have driven away from a shop with loose lugs, and missing ones. I haven't had any stripped irreparably yet, but it's common that they just don't get done right.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

My 2010 Elantra is nothing to write home about (plastic motor, plastic transmission, plastic brakes, plastic everything).

But, I did drive a 2013 while having my engine replaced under warranty and THAT'S like driving a very good Honda. It was cushy, responsive, and yet grounded to the road. It had strong AC, a good entertainment package, and nice seats. It was, overall, a very good car.

I've also heard very good things from a coworker about her brand new Veloster.

I don't know. I'd say some models had good value almost a decade ago (Elantra GT). Others, like my own Elantra sedan, have only improved in the last year or so. Then, there's the newer stuff like Genesis that are top of their class. I've even heard good things about the latest Sonatas.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bajaha posted:

Truck Nuts had scrape marks because they were hanging so low to the ground. Not sure what spiderman is doing hanging off the side there.

Drift charm.

quote:

The origin and purpose behind a drift charm is to show racers/drivers behind how "sick" their drift is. This is because as they drift their car, the drift charm will swing and will appear to stay afloat, which warns other drivers/racers that he/she is a good drifter, or has a good drift car. Hence the name, "drift charm", is given to these objects/toys hanging from the back of cars.

God, it's crazy. I can't find a single picture of a drift charm in mid-drift.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

For those who are certain she's wearing post-it notes, she is in fact wearing a sliced american cheese...ummm...frock?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I assume the price of cheese went up with all the extra demand from cheese-dress manufacturers. The Free Hand put a stop to that fad awful quickly.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

LarryCsonka posted:

I have never gotten this method to work. I always try in vain and then give up and attach it to the negative terminal so I can actually get the car started.

In every car I've had to jump, there's usually a hunk of solid metal on the engine block that acts as a negative terminal. Frame, block, either way I haven't had a problem.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

simple posted:

Day #2 of parking hard.

Not shown, laptop sitting on passenger seat.

Bait car?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

KakerMix posted:

I'm waiting in the right lane on a 4 lane avenue behind a car at a stop light. It's nice outside, so I have all the windows down enjoying the weather. A lifted bro truck (a dime a dozen here in the Gulf coast of Florida) pulls up in the lane next to me, but has a car length ahead of him to pull up to the car in front of him. A guy driving, a girl in the passenger seat. The dude then "rolls coal" right into the side of my white, open window, open sunroof, hatchback. I quietly roll up my windows and the dude blows more black sooty smoke as he pulls in that car length ahead of him. The girl in side seat rolls up her window while this happens.

Its been a long time (if ever) that I've been so impotently angry, but there was nothing I could have done that would have 'matched' the dude being a dick for the sake of being a dick. There is no reason I can see to justify it either, if I had cut him off, or flipped him off, or *something* but there is nothing there, no reason for it besides it being funny to the guy. I just pulled on this road, hell I look like the dude in the truck, I'm just as white and just as easily identified as a douche because I have a hot hatch, so there isn't even any racism or anything that could be there.

I already had the idea guys that drove trucks like that were douchey idiots, but to have a stereotype so thoroughly confirmed can't be healthy.

I can't count the number of times a douche in a lifted brotruck with sidepipes lines up to perfectly blast exhaust into my driver's side window. loving asses...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

some texas redneck posted:

The Honda CRX had that long before hybrids were a (commercially available) thing.

And the CRX was a beautiful car. If you disagree, we's gonna fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rhyno posted:

I remember .79 cents in 1997, was it really that cheap in '01? drat.

It was 99c/gal when I was a senior in high school in '99 (how appropriate). That was pretty much the last time I could actually afford to borrow my mother's jeep and drive anywhere on a tenner.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I saw the cutest van today. The red-text stickers say

"I love cats
Taste like chicken"

And

"Here
kitty kitty"

:iiam:

Edit: It had massive tires on it, and a surprisingly modest lift. Maybe he's not finished with his broseph conversion, yet?

anonumos fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 27, 2013

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

8th-snype posted:

This was my old Saturn. I didn't change the oil for like 3 years just put in a quart of whatever was lying around when it was low.

I think I owned the only Saturn in existence that didn't gobble oil like $5 liquor.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

angryhampster posted:

It looks like a really, really lovely Aero 8.

Exactly what I thought.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
They make snuggies for cars now?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Is that will.i.am's newest design?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

wayfinder posted:

Ungh. I assume NC in this context means non-consensual?

NC is the code used for the 3rd gen Miata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5#Third_generation_.28NC.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_N_platform#NC

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 5, 2013

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Kenny Rogers posted:

I dunno, that front end is amazing, but if it's still 'mostly miata' from the doors back...not so much.

It's not half bad:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mitsuoka+himiko&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=npmgUq3RIOrJsQTh34LACA&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1128&bih=742

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Darchangel posted:

Well, that make a tiny bit more sense.
Wait. Is that suede on the tops of the front fenders?

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Brigdh posted:

Just think how bad it is in a state that rarely has snow. :)

If it ever snows in Florida, I'm staying home.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There was a video where a fire truck slid down an icy hill. Anyone remember that?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

M42 posted:

Is there anything you can even do in that sliding-down-the-icy-hill situation?

Take another route. If no other route exists, go back home.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

atomicthumbs posted:

tie a rope to a pillar and throw your anchor out the window. try to catch a light post.

Someone said, "Panic", but the real response is, "Use your towel to catch a light post and DON'T panic!"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rhyno posted:

Driving home on Sunday we saw this pass by.

I wanted to follow but the lady was all "you can do stupid poo poo when you drive." Looks like an HHR that's being abused into a Buick of some sort.

Looks like they're partway through remaking the Mutts Cutts van:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Geirskogul posted:

That's not how it works, but apocryphal tales are fun.

I managed to do this in my 95 Jeep Cherokee. I don't know if it's supposed to be possible, but I shifted the automatic transmission into reverse or something. Locked up the tires at about 65 mph on the highway and scared the ever-loving poo poo out of myself. I shoved it back into neutral and coasted to the shoulder. To this day I don't know what damage it did, but that truck ran several more weeks before I traded it in (presumably the dealer scrapped it; the salesman told me his mechanic said the engine was blown - I could have sworn it was the transmission).