Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Aurune posted:

I was driving a new Camaro the other day. It was just plain silly. I'm sitting as high as I do in my MINI but my head was in the roof liner and I still couldn't see out the loving thing. It's like the auto companies think that glass costs more than steel. That or people love not to see where they are going. Or where they have been for that matter. All I could see was the roofs of the cars behind me. Thank goodness for the backup camera or I would have hit two curbs and a pole.

I ended up driving a Volt for a couple of weeks last month, and it has the same rear visiblity issues, so I think it's a GM conspiracy to sell more backup camera options and rear bumpers for dealers.

Unless the object behind you is taller than about five feet, it's completely invisible without the use of the backup camera. Going fowards isn't much better, since the hood is entirely out of the drivers line of sight, which makes parking a lot of fun. Reversing or parking the Volt relies heavily on use of the backup camera and front/rear proximity sensors to judge distance from things, and I'm completely baffled as to why they're not a standard feature on a $40K car with those visibility issues.

My family used to own a 94 Suburban, which managed to have better rear visibility than the Volt (without the backup camera) despite being the size of a small house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Trust me, there's no reason to leave it parked that long here in June :v:

They'll just flog cars around town, up and down the freeways, and until a few years back GM's Proving Grounds were here, complete with a massive circle track for high speed testing:

GM still maintains testing grounds about 20 miles outside of Yuma, in an area that's part of the Goldwater bombing range restricted airspace, which keeps people from getting aerial photos of whatever they're testing.

Volkswagen and Nissan both have pretty large facilities near Maricopa, and despite the fact that Volkswagen has threatened to shut their facility down due to urban sprawl, I frequently see cars running around the oval track whenever I fly past that area.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ulfhednar posted:

I decided to browse the available collector cars on ebay by "Price: Highest to Lowest" and came across this gem:

The description is almost as "WTF?" as the truck.

crazy ebay guy posted:

The body is created by hand and is a copy of the images my mind not from other sources this vehicle is all original.

...the car is good for motion picture cartoon toys and making your own comic books ( with car and custom ) this could bring you lots of money for year to come in royalties if it makes it to this level, I don’t have the connections or contacts to reach the next level my lost your gain.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

... really? Huh! I've had a few apartments where they said you couldn't have them visible - like they wanted you to mount them on the back porch or whatever. Is this legal, if, let's say, you can't get signal back there and have to have it on the top/front/some other visible place?

I think apartments can ban you from permanently mounting it to the building, but they can't prevent you from putting it in view in a yard, patio, or balcony. Both Dish and DIRECTV offer tripod mounts designed specifically to sit on the balcony or porch of an apartment.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently 30 truckers showed up to that thing in Washington D. C. They proceeded to block the freeway by lining up and going 15 mph, at which point they were pulled over and told not to block the freeway. They complied.

I didn't realize it was that many. I'd heard that a few (3-5) trucks showed up last week and claimed victory because they'd slowed down traffic on the Capital Beltway during the morning commute, despite the fact that traffic on the Beltway is a disaster at the best of times.

Also, their demands seem to be missing a couple of right wing conspiracy theories. They did get the standard "BENGHAZI!", "Boston Marathon was a false flag!", and "9-11 was an inside job!" lunacy, but I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of demands relating to the UN's plans for a single world government or Obama not being a US citizen.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Uthor posted:

What does ND use, then???

From my time up there, most cities just sand. Some businesses salt parking lots and sidewalks, and the DOT apparently does use salt on the highways, although I never saw anything except sand being used.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

glyph posted:

...I'd show myself out, but it's hard to leave when you can't find the door.

Does the owner go to parties, sometimes until four?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

wallaka posted:

In the US, they just get a golden parachute and go on to ruin some other company.

This.

After ValuJet ended up killing 110 people in Florida due to their executives being cheap bastards, their CEO proceeded to found Allegiant Air, which is basically "ValuJet 2.0", and has only avoided an accident caused by shoddy maintenance due to blind luck and skilled flight crews.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Linedance posted:

I think that's core curriculum for an MBA.

I'm convinced that the entrance requirements for most MBA programs consist primarily of a test intended to make sure that anyone who isn't a borderline sociopath isn't accidentally admitted.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wanna gently caress over a dealership and have cash? Finance it then pay it off in the first month.

Good times.

I did exactly that with my Mazda3.

I was intending to pay cash, but Mazda had a $1000 incentive if I financed through them, so I figured "what the hell", and financed, with the intention of paying off the car ASAP.

When the first statement from Chase arrived, it confirmed that there was zero penalty for paying off early, so I paid a whopping $12 in interest for the entire loan, and only made one payment.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Bizarre. I thought they specifically banned the old Lotus venturi cars because if they hit a pebble in a corner and bounced one side of the car up a bit the underbody gap would widen, which would decrease the magnitude of the venturi effect and decrease downforce, which would let the car rise further, which would further reduce the effect, and so on and they'd instantly spin out. Those old Lotuses reportedly had incredibly hard suspension to try and address the issue but they never really solved it.

How have they solved it now?

In addition to what was already mentioned, track safety, and driver/car safety equipment have all come a long way since the early venturi cars, so a car losing control is nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be.

At most circuits that are in use for Indycar, F1, or other high-level racing series, corners are going to have some combination of runoff area, gravel traps, and safety barriers to make sure that if a car doesn't make the corner, it'll either stop before it hits a wall, or the impact will be absorbed enough that the driver is very likely to survive.

On top of the changes to tracks, modern race cars have amazingly durable safety cells to protect the driver, and combined with modern helmets and stuff like the HANS device, you have a situation where accidents that would have resulted in death or serious injuries in the 1970's/80's now result in nothing worse than maybe a broken bone and a concussion.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My parents had an early 80's Toyota Tercel that was stupidly reliable. They sold it in the mid 90's, and we occasionally saw it running around town until the early 2000's.

That got replaced with a Taurus wagon, which had rear facing seats in the cargo area (this is awesome when you're a kid), but it was a spectacularly unreliable POS and got scrapped when the transmission blew itself up.

The Taurus was replaced with a 1994 Suburban, which got replaced with a 2003 Avalon, which had abysmal fit and finish issues, and would unbalance the wheels if you so much as sneezed.

After that, my mom decided she wanted something fun, so she got a Miata, which was replaced with a JCW Mini, which got traded for a Volt when the Mini started having expensive issues.

Somehow, my parents ended up with a first model year Volt (dad) and a final model year Volt (mom), and aside from a wheel speed sensor failing and pack rats doing $500 on damage to some wiring, those have actually been the most reliable cars my parents have ever owned.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
When I bought my car, I originally intended to pay cash, but agreed to finance when that cut $2500 off the purchase price.

The dealer told me I had to make at least six months of payments before paying off the loan, but since that was nowhere to be found in the paperwork I signed (which was confirmed with a call to the lender), I made one payment and paid all of $14 in interest for the loan.

I later found out the early payoff probably meant the dealer didn't get a lot of their kickback from the lender, but since I had to spend 45 minutes insisting I didn't want an extended warranty, VIN etching, etc... when I went to sign the final paperwork, gently caress those guys.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

NoWake posted:

Isn't this the exact bullshit that Boeing pulled with the 737 MAX that ended up getting 370± people killed? That would be, disabling certain safety systems or warnings unless operators specifically ponied up for them..

Yep.

All of the airplanes had the hardware to decide if the two angle of attack sensors didn't agree with each other (and probably the software, but it was disabled), but unless the airline spent extra money, the airplane wouldn't warn the crew that the sensors weren't agreeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What in the gently caress

How are there not people going to prison for that

Too big to fail, baby!