Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gentlemen: I give you a ragtop FJ Cruiser. I can't believe anyone would do this throw so much of their money away at this, but then again, there was that custom convertible STi sedan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Saw this in my apartment complex today. This is sort-of terrible car stuff:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

The offset/floating licence plate looks a little weird, is that common in florida/elsewhere?

I think the color looks good, though I like how the toyobaru looks in general.

The license plate frame mounts to the tow hook location so that you don't have to drill the bumper.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

ART posted:

The restoration / alteration consisted of everything. Paint, motor, trans, interior, wheels, rims, exhaust, on, and on, and on…

Huh.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Posted this in the "These are the people you share the road with", but here's a car club that shows that not only will people nearly fully smoke their taillights, but drive summer tires during a snowstorm and give terrible excuses.

http://imgur.com/a/X94zq

If anyone is looking to pick up a Focus ST that's been totaled, keep an eye out for one in Craigslist in Illinois.

Holy poo poo. Summer tires in snow AND he plastidipped his tail lights. Great. Glad I live nowhere near him.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Saw my first real-life Murano convertible tonight at Best Buy. It was just as bad as I'd hoped!! I especially liked the stupid little window above the rear window.

I saw one in Los Angeles last weekend. It was on huge rimz.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mater's Canadian cousin?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I found that really boring. No tires squealing, no smoke, short shifting, raspy exhaust note. Bleh.

Edit: granted I didn't watch all of it, but most of it seemed really tame.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

surebet posted:

I still don't like the fact that people rely on them solely when going backwards like I see so often.

I rent a bunch of different cars over a typical year for work, and usually I just take whatever's available now, so I end up driving a lot of random stuff. Rear view cameras are really cool since I'm never perfectly sure of my size, so sometimes parallel parking can be hit or miss.

Otherwise if I'm doing stuff like backing into potential traffic you can be sure I actually look around and cover my angles.

Re: These are the people you share the road/office with. My coworkers are so freaking lazy when it comes to driving. They don't look behind themselves when they back up, the cut corners in the parking garage, and so on. I suspect rear cameras will only make them less aware of their surroundings.

I understand how they can be helpful, but they shouldn't be a crutch or the only thing people look at when backing up.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

xzzy posted:

They give you whatever the previous renter left in the tank. They tell you to return the car with the same amount of gas as you started with, or they charge you gas at an inflated price to refuel it.

As you can imagine the needle tends to drift closer to empty the more times it's rented as people always try to put the bare minimum amount of gas in.

Are you renting from airports or other rental car sites? I've rented from Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise and I've never gotten a car with the fuel gauge pointing below "F".

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I've driven the all time worst rental car and it was a PT Cruiser convertible in burgundy. There is nothing worse than that car. Every rental car before and after that car was or will be better across the entire universe till the end of time.

I was "upgraded" to a convertible Camaro when I went to LA last December. I'm certain the PT Cruiser is a worse car, but the Camaro was a pile of poo poo. It was underpowered, heavy, the infotainment unit would crash, and you couldn't see anything behind you without putting the top down. So, parking in the hilariously tight Little Tokyo parking garages was an unpleasant experience. And, because of the location of the vents, blasting the heater with the top down on the freeway is only slightly better than not having the heater on at all.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Go Bubb Rubb on them and get some of those "whistle tips," from a few years back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5K7uh0iVDs#t=30 for smooth woo-woo mix

I bought a pair of whistle tips off eBay that I was planning on putting on a friend's (auto) FRS that he kept bragging about because people would compliment his car. But, I'm not sure if they will mount inconspicuously with the stock exhaust tips, not fall off and create road debris, or totally piss him off.

Is this a terrible prank?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I still have fond memories of the time I got lost and wandered into 5th ward.

Pfft. I went to college in the third ward and lived on campus. Ain't no thang. Except when you accidentally drive down Scott St. or get threatened when you won't give "bus fair" to an addict at the only gas station near campus. Fond memories.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Cross posting from the Craigslist Gold thread, 'cause this is pretty terrible (Or hilarious, assuming someone is pranking the owner of this Genesis.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is there some sort of 'flame tune' that people run that makes your car run extra rich? Or is there enough fuel in the exhaust that just having a spark source will throw flames?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I guess i should've mentioned that I'm aware of antilag, motorcycles, and the exotics that do it. I just meant when ricers put spark plugs in their exhaust pipes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Holdbrooks posted:

nice! almost as good as this one

this gif is my spirit animal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Guinness posted:

What tires does the FR-S come with? Some sort of summer tire right? I just saw a moron in an FR-S at Stevens pass who was proper hosed trying to drive/get pushed at the end of a day of skiing during which 8 inches of fresh snow fell on the already snow-covered parking lot, and it was continuing to snow heavily. And the highway was snow covered for like 15-20 miles coming down the mountain.

It just had to be on summer tires because he had zero traction even on pretty evenly packed snow. I also drive a RWD coupe in the snow, but with Blizzaks so it is totally capable. But even all-seasons wouldn't have been this worthless.

I wonder what happened to that dumb guy.

Prius 'performance' tires.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

drukqs posted:

Turns out this was trolling thank God.

I was new to the group and... I mean... these are the same people who would pay thousands for ratty economy cars with no racing pedigree other than the fact that this model was featured in Initial D so it caught me off guard.

Several years ago there was a guy on a local car forum importing and trying to sell JDM fleshlights. I think he sold a few.

I also had a coworker that was importing and selling some air fresheners from Japan. He always kept one in his car, and it made my eyes tear up every time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Speaking of Japanese air fresheners though, i seem to recall that cabs in Tokyo have some kind of air freshener built into them on the rear deck, about the size of a box of tissues.

This is exactly what my coworker had in his car. About the size of a box of tissue, not particular smell-- maybe like dryer sheets. But it made my eyes burn like crazy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Niven posted:

How mad were the people that managed to dodge the madman driving the wrong way down the highway towards them, only to have the police throw spike strips directly in front of their cars.

Also what's with all the unlocked doors? Just about every car I've driven in the last ~10 years auto locks the doors above ~5 kph, is this not a thing in the US?

It seems like no one was wearing a seatbelt, either.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Here's a terrible thing from Renault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaV41zMA60

I...just don't know. It solves a problem with a whole host of other problems, and still doesn't manage to solve the problem.

What a huge piece of poo poo. If you've taken the car outdoors at all, the hood will be covered in dirt/dust/other things. Not to mention that when you see him trying to put the thing back on he fumbles to align it properly. Why not just use a pair of hinges and be done with it? If you want to save a few pennies, don't include a pneumatic strut.

Edit: Also, I foresee those front plates either being lost or stolen at some point in time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

That looks more like it would develop lift.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Cakefool posted:

As someone who works for Toyota, thanks, and sorry.

I am not good with MS Paint

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

DefaultPeanut posted:

Oil changes on motorcycles suck more than you could think. Most of the time sport bikes need to have the mid or lower fairing removed to access the filter. After that, you get about 6" between the engine case and hot exhaust header. The filter wrenches are stupid expensive too - $70 OEM Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki filter wrench, $40 OEM Suzuki wrench. Universal ones are garbage - incorrectly sized to fit on or pop off easily or have the nut / 3/8" drive break off.

Big loving cruisers are just as annoying. Honda VT750's come to mind. The drain plug is hidden in a recess in the case, behind a coolant hose that you can't move to fit a socket past, on the left side of the engine. If the bike is on its side stand, a regular length wrench won't fit the angle to grab the drain plug and leave you with room to break it lose. The Yamaha XV1900 is just like that, but with less room between the drain plug and frame. Oh, and there are two of those for the engine and one for the oil tank. 0.5 hr flat rate for an oil change on those. Kill me.

Safety Dance posted:

My Husqvarna had two oil drain plugs within inches of one another. One required a 12mm socket, and the other required a gigantic hex driver for reasons known only to :sweden:

My KTM has two oil drain plugs, a spin on oil filter, a cartridge oil filter, and a mesh screen filter. The drain plugs are two different size hex bolts. There is also a hex key screw that goes into the frame where the spin on filter goes to fully drain the oil out of the frame. You also have to bleed the oil system after changing it.

All in all, it's not bad, but it is tedious. It probably takes me an hour to do it all, measuring out the right amount of oil for the frame and crank case, and removing and replacing the skid plate.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Boba_Fettish posted:

Saw this shiny gem yesterday at the grocery store, had a blue/greenish pearl on the upper half that doesn't come out on my cell phone.

Pro tip: rotate your phone 90 degrees to capture the entire car in one photo.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

This is all I see

Edit:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was poking around trying to get an idea of what cavity waxes are available in Canada, and stumbled across this thread:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/my-s13-was-built-on-a-friday-restoration-t580792.html

A 240SX that was built on 4-20. This should be high quality, and it is. Lazy seam sealing (in the middle of panels a mile from the weld), bad welds, missing spot welds, and loose floorpans.

On page 2, they show that the weld quality is so poor that the A-pillar of the unibody was never e-dipped.

What the hell is going on here? Why is this guy going through so much effort to completely tear apart and weld back together this S13? The effort just doesn't make sense to me.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 11, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is Canada sue happy as well? That coverage seems insanely high to me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Is 24" wide enough to do an entire panel? I've wondered how you wrap a car without any seams showing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

8ender posted:

Wrong. Previa is mid engined and RWD and now it's more awesome.

An acquaintance who owned one claimed that it had some kind of additional oil reservoir and he apparently rarely changed the oil. Was he describing a dry sump engine?

Edit: I also have a coworker who's first and only car is a Honda Odyssey. He says he doesn't want to put any money into it. This apparently includes never changing the oil until the oil pressure light came on.

I can understand not throwing money into your "beater" , but oil changes are a bare minimum requirement in my book.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 18, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

kastein posted:

Do you know how hard I had to argue to not have this in a certain vehicle I work on? Everyone wanted it "because everyone else is doing it and it's cool."

1. you realize how expensive and how much engineering time this is going to take to get right, right?
2. put a touchscreen in your car, use it for a while and tell me you really, truly believe you want this for HVAC controls you're going to have to try and use on the road and in turbulence.
3. try and use it while keeping your eyes on the road. I double dare you.

People see shiny things and their magpie brain kicks in immediately rather than thinking things through all the way. I got in my one and only at-fault wreck because I dared to take my eyes off the road for a fraction of a second in traffic just to get my finger on the "next track" button on my traditional tactile button stereo, no loving way will I ever put a touchscreen in a car in any capacity that will mean it's used while in motion. Simply not happening.

Don't stop fighting. I hate touch screens. The touch sensitive buttons for the HVAC in the Chevy sonic were especially frustrating while driving.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Larrymer posted:

:allears:

Funny you say this as my car is a Chevy Sonic that I posted about liking just a couple posts above yours. The HVAC is NOT on the touch screen on any model, there are 3 knobs below it and buttons for defrost and all that.

Didn't mean to offend you. I was misremembering whatever buttons were on the infotainment unit. I think(?) it was the volume controls (circled in red). Whatever they were, there was no feedback when you pressed them. Also, I also find it slightly annoying the way the entire display would change from whatever it was displaying to just the volume "level" in 44 pt font.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
It was gutless, and the dash computer was pretty limited. I think it had one trip odometer, and that was it. The engine was also gutless. Otherwise, it was a pretty functional car.

I found the motorcycle-style dash to be sort of a funny choice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bajaha posted:

This would be really cool for first 5 minutes before it gets dirty/dusty. Then have fun taking off the wheels every time you want to clear the back face.

I wanna see this used on an actual track and then just watch it warp from the heat of the rotors.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gentlemen, I give you the Landau top Toyota Camry:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Motronic posted:

Every time I see this I can't bring myself to believe people have done it on purpose but got it that way because it was hail damaged.

I completely forgot about this angle. I know landau covers are used to cover up imperfections in sheet metal and stuff, but I didn't connect the dots. Photo was taken in Austin, and we have had some bad hail storms in the past.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Just kidding! We never lost faith in Chrysler and would have bought another one, but Chrysler doesn't make a Honda Fit competitor so eh.

Obviously the answer is a Fiat 500L.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

nm posted:

You may be correct, but he was not treating the yellow flag properly.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the video.

For that matter, shouldn't a pedestrian on the track be a red flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Terrible Car poo poo: Rental Car Edition