Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Motronic posted:

Which is exactly why all the new speed boards I've seen only show about 5 MPH over the speed limit before they flash SLOW. In my younger days, I used to treat them as games too, so I get it.

All the ones I have seen tell me to SLOW even when I'm going exactly the speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Giblet Plus! posted:

That explains why my neighbor was having such as a hard time getting them off his girlfriend's jetta. I'm sure the design works great when people rotate their wheels regularly.

Ze germans expect you to follow the maintenance procedures! No issues with my 17mm lug bolts.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Described as "New return line" on Facebook, but this looks like shoddy work to me. I don't know a ton about the car, but its some sort of built up turbo Civic. Seems like this will be in the mechanical failures thread soon enough.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

angryhampster posted:

Most likely an enthusiast, but doubtfully an owner. I've lived here for seven years and never seen an Alfa.

There are three or four Alfas in various states of disrepair in a garage about 2 blocks from my house in downtown Iowa City. It may be that guy.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

some texas redneck posted:

To be fair, I'd say most Aveos are lucky to make it to 60k without completely falling apart, regardless of maintenance. They're by far the worst car GM sold in the US in years.

$240 a month holy poo poo..

I've been seeing a lot of Aveos lately with clearly bad shocks. The owners seem oblivious.

It's surprising to me that I'm always seeing such new looking cars with clearly bad shocks or already run into the ground.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tusen Takk posted:

Reverse was in the weirdest place though, it was next to first on the left instead of on the bottom to the right of 4th/6th
code:
R 1 3 5
|_|_|_|
  | | 
  2 4

You mean the normal place, right?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I couldn't decide where to put this. I saw this 7 series loaded up with wood out the windows driving home from work yesterday. Sorry for the lovely picture, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Plastidipping a whole car pink. Jesus.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

That's an audi, isn't it.

What else would it be?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
ProjektGerman is a local(Iowa) automotive forum and most of it makes me want to blow my brains out. I hope he puts RWB flares on it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Pretty sure that's just dirt on the wheel, not a cracked wheel.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

I dunno about hellaflush getting a pass here, but these vehicles are terrible for a wide range of reasons--it's the epitome of cheap car with wheels 2-10x the value of the car, poorly modified suspensions and chopped up fender wells (and sometimes the chassis itself). Most of these things are in such poor shape that they are legitimately dangerous vehicles.

To be fair, some of those things apply to hellaflush vehicles as well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

88h88 posted:

This is a friend's car. It's been in his possession under a week and just look at it's little face... :(

What's the story on the wreck? Seems to be at some sort of motorsports event...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Look at the guy in front on the left though, he's really fabulously raising his arm.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It can still be tricky on a RWD car because the rear tires will "lock" to a certain extent. It's really not a huge deal if you're paying attention and know how to countersteer.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The new M4 sounds like a BMW inline-6. I don't know why people are surprised??? Of course it doesn't sound like a mean V8.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Chinatown posted:

It sounds like poo poo for a BMW I6. My e46 sounds much, much better that that thing. However I would bet if you bolted on an aftermarket exhaust it will sound excellent.

Have you heard the raspy mechanical sounding stock exhaust on an E46 M3? With bonus mid range "rattle" ?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Chinatown posted:

Yeah its real bad but easily to eliminate? Stock BMW exhausts are often crap, that's my point.

Right, so why are people surprised that it sounds like a BMW inline 6 again?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

Dunlop Z2: 205/50R15
BFG Rival: 205/50R15 or 225/45R15
Hankook R-S3: 225/45R15
Toyo "Pixie Dust" R1R: 195/50R15

Those are just street tires.

E30s use weird sizes to get the right size diameter. Not many in 195/65/14. I run 205/50/15 on my E30 but its annoying having it geared a little shorter. 16s make things a lot easier and the right diameter of 205/50/16.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That E30 is trying to be round and square at the same time and it's very appropriate for this thread. The wheel gap doesn't do much for me, either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

InitialDave posted:

Why don't they build a really substantial girder across the road farther away, so that wrecks the trucks without blocking the bridge? Don't rail bridges need a reinspection every time there's an impact like that? Can't be cheap.

I mean, I see they have a girder immediately before it, but why not 30' or so away?

If you look, that's what there is already. It's triangulated to the bottom of the bridge.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Ulfhednar posted:

One of the downsides to not having inspections in Iowa is that you are sharing the road with cars like these:

Can't entirely blame him, though, I'm sure Eagle Vision parts are one in a million these days.

fake edit: I just looked at the other picture I took, and that bumper lied to me:

It's actually a Chrysler Concorde

I am continually impressed at the state of cars falling apart in Iowa.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Captain Trips posted:

Oh, Iowa, you're still so cute and innocent. That's nothing. Come to Ohio some time. No inspections, and six months of salt and snow every year.

Do you think that Iowa doesn't have 6 months of salt and snow with no inspections? Because, it does.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

The dumb part IMO is going through all the effort to an engine swap and then you're swapping an M20 instead of an M50.

This is the correct answer. I don't know why anyone fucks around with the M20 anymore when the better motors cost the same.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like it, but what's up with that weird hourglass-shaped metal post on your sidewalk?

It appears there are other shapes on the other side of the road.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

You can kinda do it... requires a M3 rear diff, M3 axles, and a M3 driveshaft which then needs to be cut/combined with the front half of the current ds. Not as simple or cheap... yet.

Terrible car stuff: When you start messing with older cars and changing parts one at a time causes other parts to operate differently than they used to and start making noise / break.

This is my experience owning an E30 as well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This car got posted for sale on a facebook group I'm on.

"For sale lost my license 2000 obo 92 mazda mx5 with 67 firebird front end swap converitable 2 seater 5 speed manual trans custom rat rod 114k miles on stock motor 17 inch shumaker wheels 1 is missing soneone stole JUST ONE smh.... shoot me an offer people I need the money bad to pay tickets"

But my favorite is the first comment.
"I deffinatly respect the work that must have went into this. A 67 firebird front on a miata. If i had $2k layin around id be interested. Someone buy this car!"

Iowa is awesome. That poor Miata.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Motronic posted:

Also lol at that last shot. Looks like they added the factory Jeep wheel-lift option. My old beater would have easily had all 4 on the ground through there.

Yeah, but did it have off road cruise control? I don't think so :colbert:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

InitialDave posted:

The thing I find hilarious is that a separate button for the starter is seriously old-school, and the adoption of one integrated into the ignition switch was an advance. I bet you can find an article in an old magazine somewhere about how to fit a "modern" ignition/starter keyswitch into a car.

I can see the point of a starter button if I think I'm going to need to stop and restart the engine repeatedly, or if there's no ignition key in the first place because it's keyless, but to take a car which has a sprung starter position on the ignition key and retrofitting a separate button is just silly. It's like people replacing factory HIDs with acetylene lamps or some poo poo.

On keyless systems, the type BMW use annoys me. Ooh, great, there's no key, just a fob... Which I have to put into a specific slot on the dash and click in before I can push the starter button? Either make it pure keyless, or use that as the starter button, for gently caress's sake!

I think certain options gave you the ability to just have it on your person to unlock the doors as well as start the car. That's how it works on my friends E60 M5.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

dissss posted:

My flatmate has a mid 90s Mazda Familia which hasn't had any preventative maintenance since 2011 either and that drat thing runs just fine - starts first pop, isn't unduely noisy, gearbox and cluctch are still fine.

We do have six monthly safety inspections so at least the lights/brakes/tyres are okay but its certainly never had any oil, coolant or even a battery in that time.

What are you supposed to do with a car that behind on maintenance anyway? I have a feeling at this point even an oil change would do more harm than good.

How does this make any sense at all whatsoever? Change the loving oil.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think the bigger issue I had is that someone would unironically believe that changing the oil would hurt things more than they would help.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with preventing damage in slow speed impacts during snow/ice testing?

I'd guess it's so it can be pushed back to the garage when it breaks down.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even at Walmart, Rotella T6 synthetic is nearly $7/qt. Newer BMWs require synthetic. Oil changes on my E46 are similar to Revmoo's E36, around $70 each change ( I use Mobil 1 synth, as that's one of the oils approved for the M54 and it's not much different in price over T6 seeing as how I have to drive a ways to get to a Walmart, but there's an Autozone I can walk to across the street).

Also remember that newer BMW inline sixes have timing chains and DOHC heads compared to your E30, so they take a lot more oil than an M20.

He has an M42 which has a timing chain. M20s take 4 quarts and M42s take 5.25.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

InitialDave posted:

I was ok with the all-female cast in a "well, Melissa McCarthy can be quite annoying, but I'll give it a shot" way, but this sends me into "table-flipping impotent rage" territory.

Get over it you bunch of big babies. Jesus christ. Don't see the movie, it's not that hard.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Honestly I think that's giving us a little too much credit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Looks like a Toyota Celica to me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I didn't realize that one of the E30 folks I know has basically a Nazi symbol on the back of their car. It's a 318is that has been essentially destroyed by this person.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Destroyed by its own hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GrantC posted:

Not rear ended?

Rear ended, but the wing is what is most likely going to total the car. I don't think it'd be totalled if it didn't have the wing causing so much damage on the back of the car.