Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Cruseydr posted:

Here's one I have that I took a picture of a few weeks ago. Not looking so good:

This may seem like a weird request, but do you have this larger or is that full resolution? I'd like to put it in my desktop rotation because with the graininess it's hard to determine at a glance if it's a full size beat up car or a miniature and I dig that.

⇩ ⇩ You rock, thanks! ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

This would look awesome with proper fitment of that skirt, flares that came out to the extent that the skirt does, wheels that actually filled out those flares, and an engine that could necessitate such rubber.

As is, man, that's awful.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

The eight (8!) clip on air fresheners lead me to believe the interior of that care regularly smells as bad as it looks.

I would argue he was going for symmetry, but then I look at the flames on the doors and well...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Friend of mine found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-POINT-4PT...5e3313d&vxp=mtr

JDM (fits anything) 4 point harnesses... for $9 each. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm half tempted to pick up a set to do destructive testing on, just to see if they actually hold up.

So long as it's not :signings: for shipping, do it. Should be amusing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

More pics from the junkyard crawl.

More graffiti on the same VW.

I don't know if there are any insane rabid VW fanboys on this forum, but if there are someone needs to buy them this as a title because it's cracking me the hell up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Well as terrible as they are, wouldn't they be better than the trikes with one wheel up front and two in the back? Those seem to have even fatter fucks on them.

Depends on your definition of "better" I suppose. They probably handle a poo poo ton better than your standard trike, but those same standard trikes can also have huge bench seats for land whales instead of having to straddle a more motorcycle-like seat.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Rocket Salad posted:

That's pretty goddamn rad.

Found the original on (shock of shocks) DeviantArt.

¿:nws:http://polo-jasso.deviantart.com/art/They-re-coming-to-get-you-74199065?q=gallery%3Apolo-jasso%2F303353&qo=265:nws:?

Dude's got a bunch of NWS/questionable furry art and comics en Español, but also some really tripped-out re-imaginings of various cartoons like the Simpsons and Hey Arnold:

:stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Try putting Unilug wheels on a car. They were made by Cragar. I had them on my Rambler. The wheels had an elongated hole to allow for 5 on 4.5", 4.75" and 5" bolt patterns. You used an off-center washer for the 4.5" and 5" patterns, and a centered washer for 4.75".

They are the loving worst. It takes literally 45 minutes to get a wheel on.

Thinking back on that part of your thread, I think I'd have to stick the washers to either the wheels or hub in the correct orientation with some fun tack or something. What a terrible idea.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

What, no one see the deuce coupe(?) on tractor tires, the Silverado bulldozer, or the Super Duty limo?
Holy poo poo they just don't stop, there's MUD PIMP to go with MUD SLUT! What's the car/truck thing on the front page, Cuda?

Seriously, this yellow thing loving rules.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Measly Twerp posted:

Naw, cake tin in the passenger foot-well, sealed with araldite.

I was really hoping araldite would be some kind of plastic explosive I'd not heard of, but it's just an epoxy. :(

Regardless, dudes driving half-cuts around looks like stupidly dangerous fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__4wuGLTAM

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Not a fan overall, but the edge-only coloring on the wheels is pretty loving cool looking.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Polymerized Cum posted:

Like the specialty screwdrivers that Apple used to hold my MacBook Pro's battery in. Anyone with the gumption to replace it themselves isn't going to be stopped by a screwdriver.

Yeah, what the gently caress Apple, triwing? Seriously?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ah, must be an older one then, the new unibody ones are triwing:

Still dumb.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That's the front differential, the rear has a driveshaft.

Every time I look at those goddamn pics I find another thing they did horribly wrong.

I know this would move into the massive effortpost realm, but if you could take each of those suspension pictures, and break down what's wrong in each of them and why, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would enjoy the gently caress out of such a post.

Anybody who has even a passing knowledge of cars knows that poo poo is clearly un-sat, but it's awesome to see someone who really knows what they're doing tear something awful apart. :allears:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
kastein, that was amazing, I'm so glad I asked.

What I don't get is how someone can be well-versed enough to know what a panhard bar and a 3-link suspension are and how they should function, and then make that, step back and say "yup, job well done, better post this beaut to the internet!"

That 2-piece double-butt-welded "double-shear" bracket for the lower control arms is just mindblowing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lurch posted:

Local cops just put this on Facebook.
:downsbravo:

Awww, they should have just tailed him until he took a turn and smashed out some windows, then pulled him over.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Just the thing to go with my flaming dragon shirt?

:stonklol:

So help me, I kind of like the grille & the gold gauge trim. Everything else is hideous.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Yeah, take away anything dragony and the gold steering wheel and door accents, and I think it's not too shabby.

Also, wasn't "dragoning" a thing about having sex with a car?

...well, you asked.

:nws:http://dragonshavingsexwithcars.tumblr.com/:nms:

I think there was a GBS post with most of these at some point.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

I hope you clicked the picture in the auction to get access to the original listing and all the other photos. I find ripping and rehosting ebay images a huge pain but here's a couple more.

I'd almost like that in a "so over the top it's amazing" kind of way if it weren't for those awful wheels/tires that don't even attempt to fill the wheel wells. Not sure I'd go with giant donk-style rims or a more mud-tire-esque setup, but goddamn, something bigger somehow.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The difference being that I would drive this.

Pretty much. Saw that and my first thought was "all right, I'm OK with that."

I'm not utterly put off by the Orochi, but yeah....

Randall and/or

Pitch Black alien

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blood Magnet posted:

That is the most fascinating thing. I can't stop looking at it.

It reminds me of a Langfor Basilisk where my brain can't quite wrap around what it's seeing and is mentally recoiling from its strange non-euclidean form.

Seriously though, I could tell I had a migraine coming on from the visual artifacts I get beforehand, and I stared at that thing so long and the artifacts went away and no migraine. :psyduck:

I think I may have to save that image.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Jesus Christ. I went to UF and even I think that poo poo is awful.

You have taste.

Yes I remember your truck.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's why the Tesla interior controls (one huge touchscreen) look like a horrible idea to me and I'm amazed no review has ever mentioned them. Aren't there literally no tactile feedback buttons on the console at all? What are the chances that will work intuitively and reliably for years to come? You'd need the combined UI powers of Google and Apple just to design the software right.

e: Not Tesla, this was about the Fisker Karma

You're super wrong about the review not mentioning it, but I cannot for the life of me find the video. A guy just rips the thing apart, pointing out over and over how horrible and unusable the UI is for actual driving conditions.

I'm fairly sure I found the video in AI somewhere, but I can not dig it up right now. I'll edit it in when/if I find it, but if someone else does, feel free.

I'm with you all on the idea of hard buttons for things. Having no tactile feedback/feel for what you're trying to do is just not a thing that needs to take any hold in automotive controls, no matter how the future it is.

e:

Raluek posted:

If you're thinking of the same one I'm thinking of, it was this one for the Fisker Karma and not for the Tesla Model S.

That's totally it, and probably why I couldn't find it with "Tesla" in the search string, thanks!

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 24, 2014

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

If you're thinking of the same one I'm thinking of, it was this one for the Fisker Karma and not for the Tesla Model S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8MqjagHu8

Yes, that's totally it. No wonder I couldn't find it with "Tesla" in the search string. What utter crap. Searching for it wrong though did tell me that just about everybody loves Tesla's implementation of it, even UI designers.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I like that in the distant future, when there is no oil and all the cars have been destroyed, they are still apparently cool with flying F-4 Phantoms, which burn fuel like a drilling-rig fire.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a whole lot confused about that concept.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DarkSol posted:

Some really loving ugly PT Cruiser body kit I found online. :stonklol:

There are 2 door PT Cruisers? *googles* Oh...only the convertables. Goddamn. WHY.

:catdrugs:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

This car is RWD and has a viper v10, it gets a pass.

Why on earth would you do that to a PT Cruiser of all things?

I stand by my :catdrugs: assessment, just for different reasons now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Terrible Car poo poo: Rental Car Edition

Wow. That looks like nothing so much as a piece of chewed bubblegum.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

It took me a second to realize that truck had not been in a fire. Goddamn.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Its not even a Toyota Matrix. :mad:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Guarantee the owner tried to inflate it to the kPa number but with Psi instead. Probably a good thing they didn't make it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I can't figure out why manufacturers decided that LCD screens that look like tablets someone glued to the dash was a good idea.

It's super common right now and looks idiotic.

Because TABLETS!!!!

Yeah, that's really it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

someone made a whoopsie driving through West Marin

the fact that I can take that same corner, heading east (as they appear to have been) at a decent clip in my Volvos makes me wonder how exactly they managed to end up rear end-end first on the opposite bank

Putting my :10bux: on getting scared because the rear end was getting loose & slamming on the brakes into snap oversteer backwards into the opposite side of the road.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

I cocked my head at that like a confused dog for a solid 30 seconds before I figured out what the gently caress was going on.

:wtc:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

Clearly the solution here is to go back to making cars out of wood.

With modern techniques and laminating and such, I bet you could actually do a halfway decent job.

Engineering it to be crashworthy and such would certainly be an interesting design exercise.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I give you the Supercheap Auto Impreza

I'm legitimately surprised that those stick-on slatted vent things actually look better on the hood in that orientation than they do where you usually see them stuck on the quarter panels.

Still looks dumb as hell, but somehow better? :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

As far as I know, the failure of the former wasn't because of torque issues (that's why he thinks turbine cars failed, and his is better because it's a turboshaft turning a generator to run electric motors, I'm pretty sure there's a reason that's not common outside emergency backup generators either -- didn't they try it on locomotives once?).

I think it's more the "ridiculously loud" and "fuckoff hot exhaust" issues.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Looking at that on my phone I thought it was a green Teletubby, then I blew it up and I'm even more confused.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Irritating technique follows Nazi colour scheme, got it.

I was thinking Schindler's List, but yeah, still Nazi I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ouch. Looks like my Accura after getting sideswiped by a drunk driver, only worse.

The embedded wheel weight was a nice touch.