Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

So, because I have a cuteness problem, I occasionally end up on Kijiji, lusting after adorable and worthy doggles that just need homes (that at the moment, I cannot provide). Most of these dogs are your standard good old Canadian husky/lab/GSD mixes, but sometimes there are special surprises that I just have to share.

I'm not sure how a "dingo" made it to Canada. Can't even imagine how this particular mix would behave. What does PI think, could that be a legit dingo mix?

This one is just a frustrating example of charging far too much for a dog that will inevitably have health problems (and she isn't even fixed!).

Aaaaand this was in the 'dogs' section, but I totally want it. Good in house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Ah, "micro pigs". I've seen those a ton on CL here. :allears:

This is definitely the thread for me, here's 2 I found today.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I couldn't find ferrets, but

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

And I already can't play this game any more. Every time I see an exotic animal an owner didn't fully research, I want to bring them home and make everything better. :smith:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yeah, every time I think there should be a thread about Craigslist pet insanity I start looking for examples and get horribly depressed about all the parrots. And the puppies. And the cats and the sugar gliders and the snakes and the turtles and...yeah.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Official Bizness posted:

I couldn't find ferrets, but

"Hi, we no longer want our senior exotic animals but we do want $100."

:smith: Craigslist pet listings are depressing. Two of my three ferrets came from semi-depressing homes via cl, but I didn't pay a cent.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I don't think I've ever heard the "new baby, no time" excuse used for one lone fish.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

There are sometimes the occasional CL ad that makes me smile because they have good intentions, but then I feel bad sometimes because I doubt the people getting them off CL will.
Like this for example:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Four girl what? :confused:

E:

I mean I'd guess it was just a bad grasp of the english language, but the four translators I ran that spanish through have no idea what the hell that's saying either.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 20, 2012

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'
I really can't look at my local Craigslist under pets, it's way too depressing. I end up feeling bad for the people and the animals.

If I had room, I'd grab this handsome chap in a minute (I have five already, so no, goddamnit, I don't have room).

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

I would have bought that thing if they weren't asking $325 for it. Totally worth $32.50, though.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Complete with a My Little Pony tank ornament? I'm sold!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Who wants a Pocket Poodle?

I get a kick out of the young guy selling this precious pocket poodle. Here's the other picture of him and his doggy:

I never thought guys who work in camp were the type to have tiny pursedogs. Sorry, pocketdogs.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Micro mini teacup pocket animals. Cute and in no way damaged when you accidentally step on them at 4am on your way to the bathroom! Also would they be classified as heel-biters? They can't even reach ankles, right?

Does this setup scream "puppy mill" to anyone else?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Pile of Kittens posted:

Complete with a My Little Pony tank ornament? I'm sold!

It has heart shapes in the lid. How can you say no to such an effective and elegant setup?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hey, I should check out my local craigslist. I bet there are some teacup morkiepoos or micropigs or something...

Oh. :geno:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
On my local Craigslist right now:

1. A free miniature horse, no rehoming fee. I'm pretty sure I should get him just because he's probably the same size as Quaffle and what could be better than walking a matching pair of dog and pony?

2. Someone looking to buy either a miniature dachshund or a klee kai. Because these are totally the same type of dog and suitable for the same situations.

3. Multiple people looking to swap their video game systems for various types of animals. The latest one wanted to trade for a snake. Those get removed pretty fast though.

4. "I am wanting to get my daughter a small dog because we acedently got rid of Her old puppy most I'll pay is 150$ must be a puppy the oldest is one year old so really need one by this weekend"

...I don't even know where to begin with that last one.

Also someone has a bloodhound named Ellie Mae they're looking to rehome because they've been forced to move somewhere where they can't have dogs that big inside and they don't think it's fair to her to leave her outside all the time. They're trying to find a really good home for her because their fourteen year old is devastated. WHYYYY IS CRAIGSLIST SO SAD I would totally let Ellie Mae come live with me and I'd e-mail the kid weekly with pictures oh god I'm going to turn into an animal hoarder

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Nothing to depressing in my hometown. Philly, on the other hand, is awesome

quote:

Carly the kitten is searching for her very own sidekick to help her transform into the cat-woman she knows she can be! Carly isn't your average kitten -- she is living a double life as she trains to become cat-woman and you are in luck because she wants you to become her sidekick! But wait.. Carly has requested that I list the qualities that her sidekick(adopter) must possess: Her sidekick must love to laugh because Carly's secret weapon is that she can make anything into a toy/obstacle course and is a champion at bringing toy mice to justice. Her sidekick must be willing to dangle string and toys in the air for her because it is important that she does not slack at her cat-woman training and enjoys staying in tip-top shape as she practices her jumping/catching skills!

Altoona brings us a 13-14 inch piranha and

quote:

Im looking for a free adoption bird, Something like a macaw or an african grey with a pink tail. im low income so dont be asking me for any payments because i wont be able to pay it. I have a son that loves birds and im wanting a family pet.

Thankfully, the Amish in Lancaster have no on-line presence, else that section would have been more heart-wrenching.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I searched around Boston's Craiglist expecting to see some spectacularly trashy ads, but almost every one I clicked was well worded with good photos of healthy looking pets. Seems like most people are grad students moving across the country/world here.

I only found these two.

This guy wants an alligator in Boston?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

The Seattle CL listings seem to be it's own special beast. I haven't taken much look at the dog listings but the cat ones are generally consistently insane.

1. No one knows how to identify their cat's breed correctly. Apparently every tabby is a purebred bengal or a "bengal mix", every long haired cat is a Maine Coon, every medium haired cat is a purebred Ragdoll, and kittens are all "siamese mix" because they have blue eyes.
2. Seattle and everywhere north of Seattle will charge an "adoption fee" of anywhere from $40 - $200 for a cat or kitten (dogs apparently start at $200 and go up from there). The norm that I've seen is $80 for kittens who aren't litter box trained and have never been to the vet. You will also constantly see "I found a cat in my barn that had kittens so I'm putting them up for a $60 adoption fee each" or someone who obviously found a cat that's part of a feral colony trying to get a $100 re-homing fee out of them.
3. A lot of people have no sense of acceptable boundaries. I've talked to several people who want me to allow them to come over to my house at any time to check up on the cat they're trying to give away.
4. People get in to the most ridiculous internet fights about how people are trying to rip others off. Stuff like this:

constantly. It'll sprawl in to some huge argument that will probably last several days.
5. And then there's the usual listings where you need to decypher what the person is trying to say and wonder how they can't even spell the town they live in correctly.

"she will need to get used to kids and dogs but love being all them, just maybe not under 2 years olds". :psyduck:

Helushune fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'd run away if my name were ARIREEEEEEEEE too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's supposed to be a selling picture.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

OH JESUS CHRIST I nearly choked to death

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's so hard to find a reputable hellhound breeder these days!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I really thought my area would have more horrible ads, but it's mostly people who can't spell "guinea pig".

I did find out about a new designer mutt... the dorky. Dacshund/yorkie mix apparently.

Edit: Spoke too soon.

With the amount of injuries I sustain, I wish I had a healer puppy. Unfortunately my regular heeler can't do such things.

I found a pretty red heeler on there for free. Max could have a friend! If only I didn't live in an apartment :negative:

Problem! fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 22, 2012

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Reminds me of that thread where someone spilled manic panic dye on their dog. I don't remember where/when that was, though. Glad it ended well for that dog. :3:

It's illegal to sell box turtles in my state.
Never stops anyone.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
The first post is kind of weird, because that dingo is one that comes up when you search google images for a dingo (my dog looks similar to one).

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's it, that's the dog for me :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bear Rape posted:

Reminds me of that thread where someone spilled manic panic dye on their dog.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3356353

Thread is there. However, a lot of folks don't have Archives, so, it was Scary Ned's pups:

and Kaydee showed her support too. :colbert:

On topic, as far as craigslist goes (kijiji just isn't a big deal here):

"I have a perfectly great tank for a betta, but I want a piece of poo poo cube that will kill one".

I try not to be a grammar nazi. I really do. But you are advertising a business and you can't even spell "month"?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

There was no words included with this ad (local fb pet selling group).

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I almost went on a rescue mission last night to save this dog on CL:

even though that's a 3 hour drive. That dog is just so sick and pathetic looking. :( I wanted to take it in for a day and then take it to the humane society, but there wasn't enough gas/gas money to do so.
So instead I called a friend of mine in that area and he said he had already called animal control about that exact ad (apparently they posted it on 2 different CLs).

It's kind of depressing and awful even for CL. Looks like (according to the picture) they only fed her milk bones too. Ugh.

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'

Chasie posted:

I really can't look at my local Craigslist under pets, it's way too depressing. I end up feeling bad for the people and the animals.

If I had room, I'd grab this handsome chap in a minute (I have five already, so no, goddamnit, I don't have room).

Week later edit: the little guy got sucked up by a foster rescue group. A Craigslist happy ending!

Chasie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 27, 2012

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I torture myself by reading craigslist, too. I couldn't find anything too horrible at the moment, except for a couple of "yeah, good luck with that" ads: someone trying to sell a budgie for $100, someone else giving away free mice "FOR PETS ONLY!!"

The cat rescues pull the usual tricks to grab attention: every DLH is a Maine coon mix, every gray DSH is a Russian blue, etc. Harmless enough, I guess.

For a while there was a guy trying to get finches, because "all my birds died or got out and flew away and I'm looking to get some more." Good job, rear end in a top hat, people will be lining up to give you more birds now!

The ads for birds are so often heartbreaking. There was a cockatiel in a tiny dirty cage that "HAS TO GO TONIGHT!!!!" Ads worded like that always make me wonder if they just kill it or let it outside if no one takes it. :smith:

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012

Good grief. I could go for a cocktail right about now, now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
There is a "morkie" and a "yorktese" on my local Craigslist right now. What are these, maltese x yorkie crosses? I'm not sure which name is worse.

Also some "shar-pit" puppies, and for some reason a bunch of people with "wolf hybrids" that are clearly just shepherd/husky/malamute mixes. One is a "timber wolf/husky" mix that is pretty obviously a pit/husky mix. There is nothing remotely wolfy about any of them other than that they are dogs.

Also someone wants to get rid of this dog. Why.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That dog has the best ears. If they don't want it, I'll take it. :colbert:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Aravenna posted:

There is a "morkie" and a "yorktese" on my local Craigslist right now. What are these, maltese x yorkie crosses? I'm not sure which name is worse.

This reminds me of the super special hybrid "Chorkies" that someone was trying to sell on craigslist this morning. It was clearly a BYB trying to sell off their latest litter, so it was taken off before I could screenshot it for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

:catstare:

It goes on. Eventually there are pictures of dogs. And a jacuzzi. And a kitchen. And a baby swing. And a person. If you really want I can get the whole text but I haven't managed to read it yet.

The title, of course, is "Don't believe the lies......"

• Locked thread