Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I do live in the Denver area, in fact. Don’t get there for shows often but they’re making me think about it more.

Slims rad. I really like Munley and the Leprechauns live show, which is Slim Cessna adjacent. I'm in Denver, and have seen both a few times. They're work the price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

here's the absolute dumbest song i've ever heard and i hope you can click on it without seeing the titular lyric and let it hit you in real time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9lhjfbCJo

Imagine being in 2019 and thinking this is the worst Nashville has to offer. It's not even close to being the worst.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

deong posted:

Munley and the Leprechauns

lol

Isn’t it Munly and the Lupercalians?
That album Petr and the Wulf is real good.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

lol

Isn’t it Munly and the Lupercalians?
That album Petr and the Wulf is real good.

:D
Correct, on both points. drat autocorrect.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Ranter posted:

If you could travel anywhere in the USA to see Sturgill, which city/venue would you pick?

Probably the show hes doing on this tour with Childers across the streer from my bar here in Louisville. Homefield advantage for both them fellers, picking their best works to date, and most importantly *not* in Ashville or Nashville

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So what is the album of the year for you all? For me it's a three-way between The Delines, Tyler Childers and Orville Peck, but Pony is probably the one that I've listened to the most of this year's crop, so I'd go with that if I had to pick just one.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 31, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Pony is definitely my album of the year, and not just in country/folk/Americana.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Lucas Chaison and Richard Inman put out some really good records this year
https://richardinmanmusic.bandcamp.com/album/hasta-la-vista
https://lucaschaisson.bandcamp.com/album/most-true-thing

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Gotta go with Highwomen. Not only is it near perfect musically, I just love what it represents about women in country music.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DogoDogo posted:

Gotta go with Highwomen. Not only is it near perfect musically, I just love what it represents about women in country music.

Another great album. The titular song makes me cry every time I listen to it. I wish more bands had a theme song that doubles as an origin story and mission statement.

Discovering the Highwomen introduced me to Amanda Shires, who led me to Jason Isbell. Now I have a lot of catching up to do!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really loved Heard It In A Past Life by Maggie Rogers this year. A little on the poppier side of folk, but a very thoughtful and unique-sounding album.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

DogoDogo posted:

100% Correct.

Yola is my #2, followed by Tanya Tucker, Robert Ellis and Peck

Edit: I think without “Redesigning Women” it would have been perfect. The chorus vocals on “If She Ever Leaves Me” still give me goosebumps.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 2, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm assuming "Redesigning Women" was meant to be a breakthrough pop single? Because it didn't fit the rest of the album. It sounded like a moderate hit from a much more middle-of-the-road female country singer, someone more concerned with performative feminism than embodying the real thing, like the rest of the Highwomen's material. Does that make sense? It's easily the most disposable track on the album, and the one I'm most likely to skip.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It was definitely the Highwomen song that the local indie rock station here played nonstop when the album came out :shobon:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My brother recently introduced me to TK and the Holy Know Nothings and I am a fan. I really hope they come down to Pappy and Harriets some time so I can see em in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrcAK-gccc

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPqmceCf90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRM48vescjg

Been digging these recently

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Pony is definitely my album of the year, and not just in country/folk/Americana.

holy poo poo his voice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ranter posted:

holy poo poo his voice

I know, right? I was so sad he had to cancel his tour date in my city this fall, but hopefully I'll get another chance to see him live. Dude is legit talented -- so much more than just a gimmick.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dude is legit talented -- so much more than just a gimmick.

Only time will tell. It’s a bit gimmicky, but it’s a decent gimmick. The songs are a bit same-y. He can’t sustain this bit unless he varies things up a bit.

I liked the album, but the next one can’t sound like one long Chris Issak song.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Only time will tell. It’s a bit gimmicky, but it’s a decent gimmick. The songs are a bit same-y. He can’t sustain this bit unless he varies things up a bit.

I liked the album, but the next one can’t sound like one long Chris Issak song.

I think the gimmick is extra-cool because he reminds me of one of my favorite obscure DC Comics heroes, the Golden Age Vigilante, a singing cowboy movie star/stuntman/early masked superhero.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The mask/cowboy thing is fine, XBenedict is right the songs are samey, he can't do it again for a 2nd album. Time will indeed tell.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
his referencing of overt queer-history imagery is so refreshing that i really, really loving hope he shows up in his second album

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
What's the deal with Peck's song 'Queen of the Rodeo' and Alice in Chains' original? The music is similar but the lyrics are completely different. Is he 'taking back' what might be perceived as a queerphobic/transphobic/homophobic song?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
its possible. its kind of like when im doing karaoke of int'l players anthem and it gets to pimp c's verse and i change the last line to "you ain't a pimp you a ferret"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
they honestly don't even sound alike to me so idk

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcqASBQVyI

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
Just saw Orville Peck and it was so much fun! He talked to the crowd a lot and was pretty happy when we all whistled really off key.

He played most of Pony, with a couple of covers of country divas. Also a new song that I loved, but who ever was hoping for less lonesome drifter in the future might be disappointed.

Plus I snagged a signed poster, so that was cool.

I'm a big fan of Trixie Mattel! Two Birds/One Stone is worth a listen.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Leocadia posted:

I'm a big fan of Trixie Mattel! Two Birds/One Stone is worth a listen.

I'm quite fond of the acoustic soundtrack/EP and Moving Parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASxleWgS9k

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Where should I start with Bill Callahan / Smog? Years ago I discovered the Smog album A River Ain't Too Much to Love and really loved it, but I don't really know much about the guy besides that.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

droll posted:

I'm quite fond of the acoustic soundtrack/EP and Moving Parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASxleWgS9k

I didn't know that existed, so thanks!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah that was really nice, thanks for sharing!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Here's a fun little tidbit if you were curious about what the two words are that "the two birds never said" (from the lyrics in this track).

"Moving Parts" !

Because she had already written the song Moving Parts when the album Two Birds came out, but it didn't make it on there. Kinda 'ha dur' moment for me.

droll fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 15, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
New Margo Price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0yicpOK6v8

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Where should I start with Bill Callahan / Smog? Years ago I discovered the Smog album A River Ain't Too Much to Love and really loved it, but I don't really know much about the guy besides that.
I'd recommend his live album Rough Travels for a Rare Thing then dive into any albums from songs you like off that. Early is more lofi and there's a couple great albums produced by Jim O'Rourke (Red Apple Falls/Knock Knock). His album Apocalypse released under his own name is really good too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

I love Margo, but this was very "meh". I hope the whole album isn't pop-tinged.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

droll posted:

Here's a fun little tidbit if you were curious about what the two words are that "the two birds never said" (from the lyrics in this track).

"Moving Parts" !

Because she had already written the song Moving Parts when the album Two Birds came out, but it didn't make it on there. Kinda 'ha dur' moment for me.

this whole ep(?) is p much flawless, thanks again for sharing, ive been listening to it nonstop for the past couple days

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

here's the absolute dumbest song i've ever heard and i hope you can click on it without seeing the titular lyric and let it hit you in real time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9lhjfbCJo

I raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ION_tTm_Eo8

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This song raw as hell lol. I love it lol. Sang this to my ex lmao

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

So this showed up in my inbox this morning.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't mean to poo poo on that cool announcement, but i gotta say that i saw The Bottle Rockets in like 2007 and boy howdy were they just the most generic country-ish band i had ever heard. are they actually any good?