Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

How about The Silver Jews? I know most people would probably classify them as a lo-fi or indie rock band but so much of their music has an alt-country vibe. I discoveredAmerican Water in 2008 and have been on a Dave Berman kick ever since. I doubt that a day has gone by in the six years since that I haven't listened to a Silver Jews song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

crikster posted:

I think Steve Malkmus was in the Silver Jews. He showed some off his folky side on some of the Wowee Zowee song. If you watch the movie (or get the soundtrack) Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, you'll see the circle of new wave country alt bands. In my opinion Cat Power seemed a little out of place though.

Malkmus appears on several Silver Jews albums. The Silver Jews actually pre-date Pavement by a year or so, when Malkmus, Dave Berman and Scott Kannberg were all security guards at a museum in NYC. If you're at all interested in hearing the Jew's country side check out the albums American Water (w/ Malkmus) and Bright Flight. Bright Flight even has a cover of George Strait's "Friday Night Fever"

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

crikster posted:

It's amazing SM can be in a band and not be totally obnoxious. It's a love/hate thing I've got for him, because Spiral Stairs is the brain of the group and Malkmus is such a jerk on most of the Pavement recordings. But that's a crowd I immediately associate with the 90s slack college rock. I guess the 3rd guy went in a totally different direction with the Silver Jew band. I'd probably be most interested in Sebadoh style lo-fi 4-track stuff when it comes to that kinda indie thing.
Come to think of it, Lo-Fi dead&lost sounding basement tapes would be a cool approach to a gothic country-type style recording.

I can sympathize. Malkmus elicits feelings of both admiration and resentment from me constantly. Even his loving lyrics. He seems to have gotten a bit better after the first few Jicks records, though.

Anyway, are there any Robbie Fulks fans ITT? I found one of his records in a staff pick section of a record store in Boulder in '05 and have been a loyal supporter ever since. He does these kinda lame novelty songs on almost every record but when he gets down to being serious he is by far my favorite active alt-country artist. If you're looking for a place to start with his music I'd suggest his album Georgia Hard