Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Some of my favourite artists are ones that I've backed on Kickstarter. So we've got:

Caitlin Jemma
- reminds me of Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan at times, last I heard she was slowly working on her third album which I can't wait to hear.
Highway 395 Revisited - from her second album "Lick them Wounds" on her Bandcamp page
Weeds - from her first album "Home Means the Hills"

Maria Quiles and Rory Cloud
- more of a laid back folky type music - these guys have just successfully Kickstartered(?) a new studio album so I'm looking forward to hearing how that turns out!
All My Trouble Gone - from their YouTube page
Long Time Coming from their YouTube again

The Emilees
- these ladies have really great lyrics, and their music is more contemplative
Wish You Well The Vimeo that got me to support them
In the Valley of Enna from YouTube - this song gives me goosebumps when I hear it from their ep.

The Locust Honey String Band
- a three piece playing a more traditional style with close harmonies
Trouble in Mind from a members YouTube page, it doesn't appear on their album
You can find some more samples here - I'd recommend "He Ain't No Good"

Marah in the Mainsail
- I backed these guys even though they're christian and I'm a huge internet atheist (read: fat) but their music is that good. Despite only having one EP and two singles out, their sound is very well realised and tight, and their singer has a good husky voice that hides his age well.
Devil in the Woods A wonderfully atmospheric song about being chased by the devil or something
Headsmen Another song off their debut EP.

All their band names link to either their bandcamp page or their website if you want to support them ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone know any good country/folk/bluegrass/whatever songs about death?
Not necessarily murder ballads. Just songs about death and dying in general.

So far I've got:
Are You Afraid to Die? - The Louvin Brothers
Country Death Song - Violent Femmes
Oh Death - Noah Gunderson
Chest of Drawers - Wovenhand
He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
Waiting Around to Die - Townes Van Zandt

There's most of Gillian Welchs songs for starters.
And most of The Handsome Family as well, particularly the songs from Through the Trees.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I would just like to say that last night I bought tickets to An Evening with Gillian Welch and An Evening with Dave Rawlings Machine on consecutive nights so I am pretty excited for that!
I've only seen Gillian Welch once before and she was amazing so I'm really glad she's touring Australia :)

Well that's my story thanks for reading

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Is it on Spotify?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Has anyone hear heard The Spectral Light And Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree?
I heard them like 4 years ago and I remember liking them, and just yesterday I was listening to Frank Proffitt and heard his version of Tom Dula which reminded me about them.
It's hard to find anything of them to listen to on the internet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks for Jackson C Frank!