Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've been hooked on Hurray for the Riff Raff lately, anyone else I should be checking out?

I also have a terrible bluegrass addiction, if that helps narrow things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I saw Steve Martin+Edie Brickell+The Steep Canyon Rangers last night.

If you ever get the chance to see them, do it. Even if the tickets are 80 bucks. Or 200. It'll be worth it. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and it doesn't hurt that Steve Martin is still very, very funny. I like their studio albums fine, but in a live setting they really bring it up to a whole new level. I just wish they'd subsidize tour costs with the gold fiddle Nicky Sanders has to have won off the devil at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
"The Body Electric" by Hurray for the Riff Raff was American Songwriter's 2014 #1 song of the year:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/12/american-songwriters-top-50-songs-2014/5/

It's pretty great, and also sums up a lot of the whole weariness of violence that's happened this year, despite coming out in February.

The song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTh2CpOwzo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paper With Lines posted:

Do ya'll think it is worth paying 50 bux to see Brandi Carlile, Iron and Wine, and Anderson East?

I don't, and I've seen Brandi play four times now.

I saw iron and wine play in 2012 and I feel like I would be giving him too much credit if I said it was one of the worst, most disappointing live performances I've ever seen. My friend I went with literally fell asleep.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hurray for the Riff Raff is amazing live. Their Williamsburg Music Hall show this April was one of my all time favorite concerts. If you can see them, see them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone going to the American Roots Music Festival in Katonah this month? I just got tickets with a friend of mine and I'm pretty excited. I don't know a lot of the bands, but I've seen Hurray for The Riff Raff a few times so at least I know there'll be at least one fantastic headliner.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just got back from the American Roots Music Festival. Good times. Saw some bands I wasn't familiar with (The Lowest Pair is really good), saw John Fullbright, and got to hang out with most of Hurray for the Riff Raff for a while. Definitely worth the trip to westchester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The new hurray for the riff raff album is going to be... not fantastic. The new tracks have been pretty bad live, and the singer has fired most everybody who worked with her over the years past few years. Alynda always had a bit of an ego, but she's told some really talented people to gently caress off lately.