Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I think Steve Malkmus was in the Silver Jews. He showed some off his folky side on some of the Wowee Zowee song. If you watch the movie (or get the soundtrack) Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, you'll see the circle of new wave country alt bands. In my opinion Cat Power seemed a little out of place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
It's amazing SM can be in a band and not be totally obnoxious. It's a love/hate thing I've got for him, because Spiral Stairs is the brain of the group and Malkmus is such a jerk on most of the Pavement recordings. But that's a crowd I immediately associate with the 90s slack college rock. I guess the 3rd guy went in a totally different direction with the Silver Jew band. I'd probably be most interested in Sebadoh style lo-fi 4-track stuff when it comes to that kinda indie thing.
Come to think of it, Lo-Fi dead&lost sounding basement tapes would be a cool approach to a gothic country-type style recording.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
The Handsome Family is a pretty reputable husband and wife duo... but they sound like 50s pulp western tv theme songs. I can imagine a Handsome Family song playing as the credits to Bat Masterson or whatever rolls by. Brilliant lyrics though, the wife is a legitimate poetical master mind.

edit: Speaking of Hank 3, his backing band on tour used to be Those Poor Bastards. This is the group that started me into the gothic side of country for the first time. It's very Marilyn Manson type vocals with a zombie cowboy rhythm. It's the type of music I imagine the Undertaker from the WWF would be interested in. Satan Is Watching might be a good one to start with, but all their albums are a similar style.

crikster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 17, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

nate fisher posted:

I really liked this, and would be something perfect to listen to around Halloween. I went through several of their albums today. You mention Gothic country, any others worth trying? I like music very evil sometimes.

Yea, a lot of the goth country bands are on same label. Sons of Perdition are real gothy but more mellow whereas TPB are louder. Goth-Country is a real fun genre to pursue for me in part because of the heavy religious imagery. I just love the line "Put the Bible to your head and pull the trigger."

I'm not really into Ghoultown. It's too rock. I like primative stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thanks for this! Like a lot of other people, I just discovered the Handsome Family from their gorgeous song in the True Detective opening titles, and I was just coming into this thread to ask if all their stuff was as good as "Far From Any Road." People who know my musical taste (namely my wife and my brother) listened to it once and said it was my perfect style of music (as a fan of Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Neko Case, and Morricone/Tarantino twang).

Do they have any specific albums I should seek out?

In the Air and Singing Bones are the two most talked about.
But wow! Handsome Family got a song as a TV show opener? They've worked so hard at it that's it's just wonderful their fans are in the tv biz and gave them a shot! They were in Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus so that's definetly a good moive and soundtrack to look for.

If you want to get real crazy, Caroliner Rainbow is the most alt country ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXGA3-6a80
It's in the spirit of American Primative. It's like folk in a blender. My favorite album by them is The Cooking Stove Beast. It's an acquired taste, but they first got me interested in banjo and old time music.

After the avante garde crazy stuff, the old time banjo is a good palate cleanser. My number 1 old time player is Fred Cockerham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txhfwNA9znE
The past 10 years have been a super trendy time for the Round Peak banjo scene. Cockerham and Tommy Jarrell are the big players in the Round Peak style. Tommy Jarrell is known mainly as a fiddler. Some good docs about him by Les Blank.

crikster fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 2, 2014