Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I don't know if any of you have heard of it, the local public radio produces this wonderful weekly radio show: The United States of Americana.

This week's recording is a little messed up and has some of the earlier show recorded at the beginning. Fast forward to like 4:30.

Here is the start of this week's show:

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Pete Seeger's death is unbelievably tragic.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Can you really say any death of natural causes at 94 is tragic? Geez. RIP Pete.

You're right. I know it is cliche but he really is the sort of personality who will live on because of the actions he did in life.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Choronzons son posted:

RIP Pete!

I have this Amnesty International 4 CD set full of Dylan covers and the only song I regularly listen to
is Pete's cover of "Forever Young" which is crazy awesome. His voice shows all his age but is still so full
of optimism and love. The childrens' choir should be kitschy as all gently caress but somehow it just sounds like
the world's coolest grandpa singing with his family. Actually that's exactly what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezyd40kJFq0

You're right, the whole thing is pretty great. I had forgotten about that compilation.

Another good type of "tribute" is The Music is You: A Tribute to John Denver. A lot of the people are pretty mainstream but it has good stuff by Old Crow, Lucinda Williams, My Morning Jacket, Emmylou, etc. Here is a video of Brandi Carlile and Emmylou Harris' Take me Home, Country Roads.

edit: Kesha has a song on the Dylan compilation. Which at first is lol but it is pretty good. :confused:

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Conor Oberst released a song from his Nashville recorded album a few days ago. I guess it's pretty okay but for someone who says "I don't relate to a lot of my earlier songs," and "I don't know if it makes me an rear end in a top hat to not want to talk to my fans. But I'm not going to sit on a loving computer and try to talk to some loving 16-year-old in wherever-the-gently caress." I feel a tad skeptical.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

Nickel Creek recently surprised everyone by announcing a new album and limited run tour. They've released two of the songs on YouTube and they still have the magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawK7QcEGKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3NGqNCnOc

The album comes out on April 1st, but it's not a joke.

Those songs are rocking. Chris Thile is one thing, but I've also been very impressed with Sara Watkins' solo stuff.

Also, if the thread hasn't picked up on them, The Secret Sisters, whom are opening on the tour are also great.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Yeah. What is the deal with the Civil Wars breakup? Their cover of you are my sunshine owns though.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

imo start with Déjà Vu and see where it leads you.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Sunshine Mix posted:

Thank you for the feedback y'all. Clearly I have some homework.

Haven't gotten to all the artists yet, but this weekend I worked my way through Southern Rock Opera by Drive-By Truckers a couple of times. That was very much my poo poo

Edit: yeah Trampled by Turtles is pretty big with my friend group since I live in Minnesota. Haven't really given them a fair listen yet though; I'll rectify that.

WOO MINNESOTA!!!!!!!

we're awesome. so very awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4pIULFGLI

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Picked up a couple of folky albums on Bandcamp a week or so ago from bands I haven't seen mentioned here.

The Oh Hellos are a duo with a bunch of guest musicians. There's mandolins, guitars, group backing vocals, a kick drum and you probably get the jist. If you listen to 'Like The Dawn', 'In Memoriam' and 'I Was Wrong' you'll get a decent overview of the album. It's a good album, but if they sounded a bit less like Mumford & Sons I wouldn't complain.

Poor Old Shine have recently changed their name to Parsonsfield, but they haven't updated their store pages. Oh well. A touch more Americana-esque than the other lot, and a bit more work-in-progress as well to be honest, there's still a lot to like. The up-tempo tracks here are probably the best (they sound like the drummy bits off Trampled By Turtles' Trouble), but the slower songs aren't that bad. Listen to 'Footsteps In My Ears', 'Punching The Air' and 'Right There' and make your mind up. Or just listen to 'Punching The Air' a hundred times instead.

I've seen the Oh Hellos twice in concert and they are absolutely loving dominant. Currently they have 12 people touring with them and playing on stage.

They used to be a jesus band though and that sometimes shows through... Regardless, I paid less than 20 bucks each time and it was one of the best live concerts I've seen.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I've been listening to these guys pretty religiously.. The linked song seems to be the biggie but I think the whole thing is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8Y3lo-Tao

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I too live in the Great Lakes area. This was my winter playlist from 2? years ago. I guess I didn't make one last winter. Probably because I was too busy freezing to death.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The Walking Dad posted:

I really have to wonder what was wrong with me circa 2011 that I couldn't appreciate Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes. I loved their debut album and listened to it so much and then I completely abandoned them with their second release and couldn't get into it.

Listening to it now, as the winter is closing in and the snow falls, It's just so romantic and comforting. Excellent.

I love that song. It feels very existential to me.

Also, there is a playlist called "Folksy Christmas" on Spotify which is pretty okay. At least to hear new people.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The new Punch Brothers album really loving owns.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Bonzo posted:

I can't stand their web player and hate that the Android app won't let me use my Chromecast but god drat if WSM (650 AM) doesn't complete my weekend.

If you want to have a terrific Sunday night, do this:

Starting at 5pm EST, tune into wfpk.org (broadcastig from Louisville, KY) for Root and Boots http://tunein.com/radio/Roots-n-Boots-p1294/
At 8pm, you get a solid 3 hours of bluegrass and "old timey music"
From 11-12 is the Grateful Dead hour
After that, switch over to WSM to hear old Grand Ol' Opry recordings from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Fantastic post! Check out the United States of Americana as well!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I just bought the Inside Llewyn Davis album (the full thing isn't on Spotify). It is fantastic. Some of the songs have the Punch Brothers on them in addition to be a T. Bone Burnett produced endeavor. The actor who sings most of the main songs is pretty cool too.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I was at a Punch Brothers concert recently and during the show Chris Thile said to the audience "If you watch the film Inside Llewyn Davis, there's a scene where 5 guys in suits sing a song that sound exactly...suspiciously like us. Those dudes were not us" then they sang that song.

I bet. What's sort of cool is that the songs were recorded twice. Once live in the movie and once for the album in a studio. There are like three tracks where they have singing credits listed on the album.

They're such bluegrass jokers! I guess I could see a situation where they played the album but not the movie though.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

oxsnard posted:

Jason Isbell just dropped a new track on SoundCloud, "24 Frames." Pretty straightforward track but it's still drat good. Why this guy isn't a superstar baffles me.

http://m.soundcloud.com/southeastern-records/24-frames

Sounds super Ryan Adams-y on that track.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Do ya'll think it is worth paying 50 bux to see Brandi Carlile, Iron and Wine, and Anderson East?

I don't, and I've seen Brandi play four times now.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I love Zac Brown. Their album with David Grohl is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time and it makes me sad that it's so short.

That said, even though they have a lot of their really high quality stuff they aren't above making music that panders to the ~Typical Country Music~ listener. The song that made them famous in Chicken Fried was apparently written before 9/11 but they added in the verse about the stars and stripes afterwards. Maybe they're afraid of getting the Dixie Chicks treatment.

An aside, the new Sata Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, and Aoife O'Donovan effort is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDUDRIEifQ

I also heard this pretty great Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell song earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na06CYdo8y4

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Of their singles, I think Colder Weather and Homegrown are among the best. Was Day that I Die with Amos Lee a single? That song owns too. Their live version of Free/Into the Mystic is also very nice.

Off their first album, I really like the songs Highway 20 Ride and their cover of Jolene. On the second album, I play the Road, as she's walking away (with Alan Jackson), and if you're in the mood for it -- whiskey's gone.

In my opinion, every song on The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1 is fantastic as well. I also think that this most recent album is pretty bad. I know they were trying to experiment with different types of music and I guess each individual song is a good example of that genre, but I wish they hadn't done it.

edit: also Martin.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I was just going to post that you should check out Natural Disaster as well. Which I think you'll like a lot based on that comment.

edit: I missed Stealie's edit! hahahahaha. We're so on the same page.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for mentioning the Grohl Sessions. I have never been a fan of Zac Brown (and still don't love most of what I've heard)...but I gave that album a shot and it's great.

Dave Grohl said something like "Zac Brown Band is a modern day Allman Brothers. They aren't country music, man. They're loving awesome southern rock. Everyone should like them."

Obviously hyperbolic, but you can kind of see his motivation for the songs. I hope they make another.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

This is old but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been posted in this thread yet.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

both the oh hellos and hurray for the riff raff have announced fall tours.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Can anyone explain why he left DBT? The timeline seems to be:

1. DBT let in JI
2. JI marries a bassist
3. JI gets bassist into band
4. JI and bassist break up
5. DBT kick out JI

Is that incorrect?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I know we usually aren't too keen on super mainstream country, but the new Kacey Musgraves album is really solid. She still has a corny single or two (like biscuits) but they still are fairly satisfying to listen to and are surrounded by some good tracks about her not giving a gently caress about the bitches, etc.

Now that I think of it, she is kind of like the anti T-swizzle.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I don't know if any of you actually like the Oh Hellos, but I loving love them.

They have a new song out.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/08/20/377202957/song-premiere-the-oh-hellos-bitter-water

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The new Sarah Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, and Aoife O'Donovan songs are so good.

We are truly in a modern bluegrass revival and it is led by Nickel creek people, imo.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

You know that Chris Thile, who is the mandolin player in the Punch Brothers, is p famous for other things so you might find some traction there. His solo album How To Grow a Woman From the Ground is great. Also, apologies if you already knew this, but he is also in Nickel Creek and they own so much.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I had forgotten about the song Before the Devil Knows We're Dead. What a good one.

What makes "red dirt country" distinct? I haven't heard of most of those bands.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

stealie72 posted:

I foolishly just tried to listen to Spotify's "New Boots" up-and-coming country playlist.

With the exception of a couple tracks (Cam's "Burning House" being the most notable), it was loving terrible.

Are any of you keeping a spotify list of the various things that get posted in here that you'd be willing to share, or do we have a shared playlist like some of the other NMD genre threads and I missed it? I need some new stuff to listen to while I work, and having to constantly click the youtube videos in here is way too distracting.

I agree so hard. Cam owns. Check out the Americana playlists if you want some good "country" music.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Perhaps the OP could update the, uhm, OP and have playlists?

Count Chocula, you around?

imo, we could have a much better op in general...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Don Henly thinks that the state of modern country music is indicative as our cultural decline as a nation.

I didn't even realize he had a country album out, but I'm listening to it now. Better than loving Desparado, so far.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Gotta figure out if I want to see Sturgill Simpson, Hayes Carll, or Chris Stapleton next week.

I saw Hayes at an accoustic only show in Minneapolis. He was still pretty great.

Also, I saw the Oh Hellos again, who I have been plugging like whoa in this thread, and I'm not convinced that they are a closet christian band. So, uh, take that for what you will. I probably won't go see them again, but I have seen them live three times now.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Some pretty good stuff nominated in the Grammies this year.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6785974/grammy-nominations-2016-full-list

The biggest surprise to me was that Hayes Carll wrote the Lee Ann Womack song (and it was nominated for a grammy!) but it seems like a pretty big deal that the Alabama Shakes got a shitload of nominations.

Also, the Chris Stapleton album that won the CMA best album award is nominated for best album in the Grammies as well! The real one, not just the country one (which he was also nominated for).

Jason Isbell get a nod for best Americana album but I hope it goes to Brandi Carlile. :ohdear:

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 8, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

In that vein,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCyYuLQ7_Ws

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

H.O.L.Y. by Florida Georgia Line is the pinnacle of that sort of music.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I was joking with my response. That song is an abomination and FGL should go away. In general, a shitload of bluegrass is religious in some way. Especially when you start going back to the rootsy bluegrass.

I think a lot of Wailin' Jennys is pretty religious. Songs like Glory Bound or I think most of their first album (40 Days) has religious overtones.

The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack of course is a good place to start (and to then go through the individual musicians contributions) but that was assembled basically based on depression era music gospel / appalachian folk.

Allison Krauss's I know Who Holds Tomorrow. Gillian Welch. Some of Crooked Still's music (Shaken by a Low Sound) touches on those topics.

I'll poke around and look for some more specific stuff but for sure the o brother where art thou soundtrack is the most concentrated album of what you might be looking for (it also owns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I feel like a piece of poo poo for not realizing he wrote it and that Zac Brown only covered it. I was just reading about the Isbell (who is a Serious Country Musician) relationship with Zac Brown and I found this great quote.

"As Isbell said yesterday, 'If you want more popular country artists to sing songs that have some real meaning, don’t be pissed at the ones who do.'"

It is cool because Zac Brown does seem to do some pretty cool and real stuff so I'm glad they get along.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/zac-brown-band-covers-jason-isbells-dress-blues-on-college-gameday/

edit: memorial day video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hlYNU6xPJc

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 31, 2016