Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Happy Hippo posted:

their live sound was just an impenetrable wall of noise.

You say that like it's a bad thing :D Seriously, though, I'm also wondering how they're gonna sound, and what direction any new music is going to take. I've not been impressed with the last two studio albums, but Patterson Hood's solo stuff still floats my boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Wow, those do sound good- the last couple albums haven't seemed to have much Cooley, and Hood was concentrating on telling stories and running on autopilot when it came to the music. These songs have a raw, crisp feel that I'm really liking.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Goddamn can Isbell write lyrics, he's almost without peer. But my problem is that I was first exposed to him through DBT and when I listen to his solo stuff I just keep wishing there was more RAWK in the arrangements.

My problem, not his, of course.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

His tweets about the Lenny-Kravitz-cock-hanging-out situation were absolutely hilarious.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if the problem isn't that they decided to make a "political album" but that they decided to do so after they've aged out of having any edge.

Yeah, I think you're on to something. I feel that the Truckers, over the last ten years, have put more and more effort into writing Important Lyrics, and less into writing Good Songs.

Dirty South was Peak Truckers, Blessing and a Curse was kinda weak, but forgivable, considering the inter-band turmoil, Brighter had a couple great songs, and everything else since just seems like, instrumentally, the band's just going through the motions.

Similar to what happen to the Replacements.

I'm still stoked to see 'em in October with Lydia Loveless; they always seem to put on a good live show.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bonzo posted:

That bass line on Cumberland Gap is awesome.

He also released a live album of covers for Record Store Day. If you can find a copy its worth picking up

Here's them doing Can’t You Hear Me Knocking by the Stones. https://vimeo.com/217780199

This is fuckin' great, thanks for clueing me in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I’m not much of a Twitter person, but Isbell’s tweets are often hilarious and generally on-the-money.