Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am curious if I'm missing any good music of this type.

Currently I'm in to the following groups:

Hackensaw Boys - seen them twice last year, and with the right crowd it is like a hybrid punk bluegrass show.

Shovels & Rope - I have also seen them twice (second show was 2 weeks ago). Love their chemistry.

Steve Earle - the man who got me look again at so-called country music. Love his music, but I have found his live shows to be a little lacking. That said I was ecstatic to hear him play Ben McCulloch last time I saw him.

Carolina Chocolate Drops - we have been blessed here in Knoxville with them playing ever year around Christmas at the Bijou. I also get tickets to see them and OCMS in Johnson City at the end of this month.

OCMS - love their music, but never seen them live. I am blessed that I get to see them for the first time of all places in Johnson City, TN at my alma mater ETSU with CCD later this month.

Shooter Jennings and Hank III - I love the hell out of both of them, and while I've seen Shooter live I still need to catch Hank's live show.

Any other modern bands that would scratch that same itch? I would love to find another Bluegrass band like the Hackensaw Boys.

MourningView posted:

I disagree, Decoration Day and The Dirty South are great and should definitely be the next step, but I think SRO is the best way to get into them.

I agree. SRO got me into DBT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks for the response, and sorry for my half drunk post from iPhone last night (I am surprised it made sense). I spent the day at work listening to all these bands. Really enjoyed Crooked Still, Wayne Hancock, and Those Poor Bastards.

Bonzo posted:

Check out The Wailin Jennys (also Ruth Moody's solo album), Crooked Still and Chatham County Line

Yes I do dig the Walin Jennys, and I have heard of Chatham County Line, but I Crooked Still is new to me. Thanks.

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you like Hank III, make sure you check out Wayne Hancock. Wayne laid down a lot of the foundation of Hank III's country sound, fusing classic Hank Williams with modern production. Thunderstorms & Neon Signs is probably his best, but I love Tulsa too.

EDIT: Oh, and if you like Steve Earle you owe it to yourself to listen to Townes van Zandt. Live at the Old Quarter is, for my money, the best country/folk/whatever album of all time.

Of course as a Steve Earle fan I know all about Townes van Zandt. I was just listening to Lungs right before I read this.

crikster posted:

The Handsome Family...

I discovered them while watching True Detective. I love the lyrics, but music doesn't always hit home with me.

crikster posted:

edit: Speaking of Hank 3, his backing band on tour used to be Those Poor Bastards...

I really liked this, and would be something perfect to listen to around Halloween. I went through several of their albums today. You mention Gothic country, any others worth trying? I like music very evil sometimes.

Also anyone else doing the white trash country thing like Hank III that is worth listening to?

Let me give a couple of suggestions.

The Hackensaw Boys if anyone is in the mood for good string band music. I think over the years they have had over 20 different members (one of the founding members was Tom Peloso of Modest Mouse), and they changed half the band since I last saw them in December. Great live shows, and worth seeing as long as Ferd is still in the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6xOyaBHYeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzP8NAt2yZ4

Former OCMS member Willie Watson (might of been my favorite member). His debut album is coming out May 6th, but here he playing in Bristol, TN/VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohhmJGDVrxA

Also let me give a shout-out to banjo/keyboard player David Moore. He is the headbanging banjo player in Langhorne Slim and the Law, and while not the best banjo player, he is fun as hell to watch on stage. He has some great side projects up on Band Camp. Here is one of his side projects The Piledrivers (funny song that Birdcloud would be proud of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAaDnIMIJn8

My favorite picture of David Moore. Even years later you can still see the bloodstains on his banjo.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 17, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

McMadCow posted:

I've been getting into Langhorne Slim lately.

I am hit and miss on his music, but do not miss an opportunity to see him live. Amazing live show (he is an artist that translate so much better on stage), and he has my favorite banjo player, David Moore, to watch perform. The guy is literally a hangbanging banjo player.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tank9900 posted:

Huh, I saw him last year, completely unfamiliar with the music, and it was far and away the worst concert I have seen in years. Every song sounded the same and his guitar was so overpowering you legit could not hear the piano or bass. Just the drums and his guitar, and it was terrible. The openers were phenomenal (that's where I discovered Jonny Fritz, which I mentioned earlier in the thread) and their sound wasn't bad so I can't really blame the venue. I was totally let down :(

Sorry to hear that. I saw them in Knoxville at a festival earlier this year, and I came away impressed. Not sure why my experience was different than yours, but we all know that happens at different shows. That said I did find that Moore's banjo got overpowered by the rest of the band at times. Still it was a great atmosphere at the show I saw them perform at.

Funny the band that played after them was Shovels & Rope, which was the main reason I was there. I saw them a year ago in a bar in Asheville, and they was great. That said at this festival in Knoxville they was a big letdown. Their sound was awful, and something was just off during the show.

One last thing, my biggest disappointment live has been Steve Earle. I've seen him twice in Knoxville (recently as last year, and I had front row tickets), and both times I came away disappointed. I am a big Steve Earle fan (his music was my gateway to Americana music), but he is so underwhelming live (maybe age is catching up with him). Still he did at least kill it on 'Bem McCulloch' last time I saw him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I saw Hank III live Monday night, and what an insane performer. He did a 4 hour show with no opener. The first 2 hours was his outlaw country stuff, then 30 minutes of punk, about an hour of Doom metal, and the last 30 minutes was 3Bar Ranch (metal with an auctioneer I think). How in the hell does he do this every night, and he is my age.

Now I am a old school metalhead from my younger years, but the highlight was his country set. He played every song I had a desire to hear (I am a big fan of the Straight to Hell album), and the crowd was insane. Of course even the country set felt like I was at a punk show (yes there was a mosh pit even during that set). Luckily my old rear end was up front, but even that got stupid crazy during songs like PFF.

Another highlight was he played Sleep's Dopesmoker during the Doom set. Overall I was really impressed with the atmosphere he created and the show overall. I would go see him again in a heartbeat, but I would leave after the punk set next time. My ears are still ringing, and I was useless yesterday.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Must've Been High is a great album from a group I don't normally like.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

me your dad posted:

Can anyone recommend me some Hank Williams Jr albums?

I'm not a big Hank Jr fan (I do love Hank Sr and Hank III), but I have always liked Hank Live that came out it 1987. Still one of my favorite live albums.

That said Hank Williams, Jr.'s Greatest Hits (1982) and Hank Williams, Jr.'s Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 (1985) are a pretty good place to start. Stay away from the other volumes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I'm going to assume you are new to this music overall. Let me throw a bunch of names, and see what sticks for you:

- Steve Earle (I would start with Train a Comin' or El Corazon)
- Hank III (Straight to Hell is his best)
- Shooter Jennings
- Hackensaw Boys (good modern Bluegrass)
- OCMS
- The Avett Brothers (stick to their early stuff)
- Drive-By Truckers
- Sturgill Simpson
- Townes Van Zandt
- the soundtrack to Broken Circle Breakdown
- Levon Helm
- Johnny Cash
- Iron & Wine (early stuff is the best too)
- Ray Lamontagne

These are a few names I have listened to over the years besides who you mentioned. They all are different sub-genres, but you may find something you like.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I mentioned it before, but let me whole-heartily recommend the soundtrack to the Belgium movie, 'The Broken Circle Breakdown'. As some who was born and grew up in the Appalachians (Western NC and East Tennessee), it is amazing to me that a foreign movie is one of the best love letters to bluegrass I have ever seen. While the movie might not be for everyone (I loved it, but it is depressing in a 'Blue Valentine' way), the soundtrack is a must listen for fans of bluegrass.

Some of my favorite songs from the soundtrack:

The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XireE7v5Ep0

Wayfaring Stranger (this version replaced Johnny Cash's version as my favorite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAJXKAS3Ks

Reuben's Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO6Bifm_rM

Movie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a50DJkCxqw

If you ever plan to watch the movie, be carefully because some of music clips are taken directly from the movie, and feature spoilers. My links are pretty spoiler free.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 1, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since they're apparently touring the entire length of Tennessee here in two weeks, I guess I should ask the thread: is it worth going to see The Avett Brothers live? I'm a fan of their older music especially but I'd still have a good time unless it's literally just material from their last two albums.

I saw them last year in Knoxville. It was a fun show, and they played some of their old stuff too. My wife really loved them (I'm so-so a fan), but when I asked her if she wanted to see them again (they are back in Knoxville this month) she didn't want to spend the money on it. So my take is if you are any part a fan of their music check them out live at least once. Also google their current setlist, and see if the songs they are playing live are what you want to hear.

If anyone is in the Knoxville area The Hackensaw Boys are playing at Barleys this Friday. They put on a great live bar bluegrass show, and it's free as long as you arrive early enough. We get there around 8pm order some pizzas, and drink some excellent craft beer until the show starts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I have to say, one of the coolest and weirdest experiences in my life was going to a bluegrass festival in the Netherlands. Basically a bunch of weird European hipsters cosplaying as rednecks, but hell it was a lot of fun.

I know from being a Hackensaw Boys fan, that they have a large following in the Netherlands (they even have a live album recorded in Kinderdijik). It still warps my mind.

Edit: Also I'm jealous you got to experience that.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 5, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It seems hipsters love their bluegrass. Last night seeing the Hackensaw Boys over half the crowd looked like an Urban Outfitters ad. Last time I saw them the local college (Tennessee) was on winter break, so I was kind of surprised. Still I give these kids credit, because they danced like a bunch of maniacs all night. It made for a fun night.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just want to give a shout out to the annual Rhythm N' Blooms here in Knoxville, TN. It is a small festival that takes part in the Old City portion of Knoxville. It is pretty much bar hopping to one bar to the other watching different bands for 3 days. They do have a stage where the bigger bands play, but the indoor venues (bars and bars) are the best. Also some of the bands play more than once (Shovels and Rope last year played the outdoor stage and a bar later that night).

Current list so far for 2015 (they are adding more bands in the next couple of weeks):

http://www.rhythmnbloomsfest.com/

The Decemberists
Drive-By-Truckers
The Dirty Guv'nahs
Delta Spirit
Langhorne Slim & The Law
The Apache Relay
Alanna Royale
Count This Penny
Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes

3 day pass are $60, and a 1 day pass runs $25 or so (not available yet). Also you can volunteer for 4 hours at the festival to earn a free day pass. I went last year for the first time, and it was a lot of fun for the price (the $25 is worth it just to see Drive-By-Truckers and The Decemberists). So if you are in the area or near-by you should check it out.

Also American Aquarium played here last Friday, and man they are great. Worth checking out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biz1ljy2Wdw

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
OCMS' Methamphetamine is a depressing song about drugs, but you also have their upbeat drug song Cocaine Habit.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dattserberg posted:

I'm going to visit a friend in Denver in July and coincidentally The Avett Brothers and Sturgill Simpson are playing at Red Rocks while I'll be out there. I like the Avett Bros, especially their early stuff and am really into Sturgill. How are these guys live? Is it worth the $80 for tickets?

I am glad I saw the Avett Brothers live, but I wouldn't pay anything north of $30 to see them again. I haven't seen Sturgill live yet, but I will see him in September (tixs only $20). So overall I would say $80 is outrageous. Still I always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks, so if this is your only choice to do that it might be worth it. If not just wait for Strugill to come around your neck of the woods at a cheaper price.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tirinal posted:

Apparently her and David just drive everywhere, instead of using a bus or plane, because ~reasons~.

If I had to be behind the wheel 16 hours a day just to leave bumfuck Tennessee I wouldn't tour the northeast either.

Tennessee is pretty cool, but driving from Bristol to Memphis is a nightmare.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To be honest a line-up like that can be a lot of fun. I've seen a couple of those bands, and heard of some of that line-up based on performances at bars/clubs here in Knoxville (Eady is playing at my favorite bar in November here, and it seems American Aquarium plays here at least 3 times a year).

That said we have a 3 day festival like this every April in Knoxville. It is full of small bands like on your list, but this year it was headlined by groups like the Decemberist, Drive-By Truckers, and Langhorne Slim and the Law. The smaller bands mostly played in bars (they was like 5 of them) located on the street than ran by the main stage. To be honest I enjoyed the bars more than the main stage. Also it helped that the festival organizer included a surf punk band, some rap (Gangstagrass, which believe or not was fun as hell live), soul music, and other genres to break up the pure Americana feel.

Edit: A couple of Knoxville local acts on that line-up too. Black Lilies (which I am seeing on 10/2) and Scott Miller are both part of the Knoxville scene.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am not that big of an Avett Brothers' fan (I and Love and You is my favorite album by them, and I haven't liked anything since), but they put on a great live show. Worth seeing even if you are just a fan in passing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
New Birdcloud is out (hope they make it to Knoxville on this tour).

Two of my favorites

'Here in Body'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUOB2w_QSk

'I Like Black Guys'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=785Vhfh4EUc

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BigFactory posted:

It's good but after one listen I like Friend of a Friend better. The Weekend is pretty strong and I like Pilgrim. The middle kinda drags. Candy's one of those songs that's fine in concert but doesn't really need a studio version.

Not sure why they didn't try to put Knuckleball Catcher on this one. It would have fit perfectly into the back half and pulled the whole thing together. I think that's a good tune, but maybe they're saving it for Gill's next record, who knows.

But overall I like all the strings, kinda gives it an early Elton John vibe. Dave probably sings it as well as he can, the mix is ok but not what I'm used to with them.

Can anyone speak about how they (Dave Rawlings Machine) are live? I am on the verge of picking up tickets for their November show in Knoxville.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok just got 4 tickets to Dave Rawlings Machine.

In relation to the Avett Brothers discussion on the previous page, they are doing their annual charity concert this year in Knoxville at the beautiful Tennessee Theatre. It is a smaller venue (same place I am seeing Dave Rawling Machine), and it should be a better show than if it was at the Civic Coliseum (which is where I saw them last time). After saying seeing them once was enough, I tried to get tickets during the pre-sale but they was gone within minutes. I will try again when they go on sale to the general public.

Also I found myself in a discussion with the guy who runs one of my favorite bar/venues in Knoxville, The Preservation Pub. He told me that the Avett Brothers did a show at the Pub back in 2005, and it was so insane they broke through the floor of the stage (they had to replace the whole flooring of the stage). Shame they are not that type of band anymore.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Paper With Lines posted:

Don Henly thinks that the state of modern country music is indicative as our cultural decline as a nation.

I didn't even realize he had a country album out, but I'm listening to it now. Better than loving Desparado, so far.

I know it is wrong, but I still prefer to listen to Frank Ocean's American Wedding (his song over the master track of Hotel California) to Hotel California. I think both songs have great lyrics, and I do understand while mixtapes have always used unauthorized samples, you don't use what is pretty much the master track of a song. Still Frank Ocean never made money off American Wedding, it was on a mixtape. I guess I'm just mad I will never get to see American Wedding performed live.

Also while he is right about the state of modern country music, but it has been that way for quite awhile.

Edit:

To add something the Guy Marshall Band might of released my album of the year with their release of The Depression Blues. I saw them live earlier this year without knowing a thing about them, and was blown away by an amazing live performance. I have a found a lot of bands that I like live, but their music don't translate to me listening to them in car or at home. Well I've had this album pretty much on repeat over the last couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV5RBfZJFVI

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 2, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The 90s were full of great country. And lots of lovely country, too. But come on, George Straight? Travis Tritt, Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, Chris LeDoux? Garth Fuckin Brooks?

Solid loving gold and I won't hear otherwise.

I guess I don't like country all, because I'm not a fan of any of these. I've always hated what I call radio country and the 90's is not an exception. Maybe it is because I was a metal head at the time or being from Tennessee I was sick of hearing country.

Thinking back as a kid/teenager the only country I ever could stand was Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Hank Jr. (that was before I understood his backwards politics). It wasn't until Steve Earle released Train a Comin that I actually fell in love with a country album. Despite now loving Cash, Jennings, Bluegrass, Americana, and alt-country I still can't stand to listen to most of the artist you mentioned.

Green Mind posted:

Chattahoochee is a good song, also Don't Rock the Jukebox.

Subjective, but this song is a perfect example of why I hated country at the time (I guess I still hate most country).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes Country Death Song by the Violent Femmes is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwj5_SNWYc8&sns=em

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ket posted:

I would just like to say that last night I bought tickets to An Evening with Gillian Welch and An Evening with Dave Rawlings Machine on consecutive nights so I am pretty excited for that!
I've only seen Gillian Welch once before and she was amazing so I'm really glad she's touring Australia :)

Well that's my story thanks for reading

I saw them the night before Thanksgiving in Knoxville, and it was amazing.

Also last Friday night I saw the Avett Brother play a benefit show at the Tennessee Theatre. In this smaller environment they were great, and it was 10x better than when we saw them at the Knoxville Coliseum. While I am not a big fan (my wife and son are), it is a shame they don't play smaller shows more often.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm really happy I got to see Sturgill in a small venue before he blew up, he's really going places. When I saw him in Chicago last time, it was in a ~700 capacity club. A year and a half later he's playing a 2,500 capacity theater.

Same here in Knoxville. Last year it was the Bijou (700 seats), and he just announced he is at the Tennessee Theatre here in May (1600+).

That new song is really good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BigFactory posted:

I don't think I've ever heard him before, but that is one generic "country singer" voice. Sounds like the parody country song from Team America.

Sturgill is pretty amazing most of the time (surprised you never heard of him, because he has taken off in the non pop-country world). That said the cover is blah. Turtles All the Way Down, Brace for Impact, You Can Have the Crown, and Sugar Daddy are a good place to start to see if you would like him. That said I love his voice. Maybe because it reminds of a time when country music was actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BeastOfExmoor posted:

NPR is streaming A Sailor's Guide to Earth.

So far so good. The Nirvana cover isn't my favorite, but in the context of the album it sounds better.

Also, Sturgill was a guest on the Joe Rogan podcast a couple days ago. The Joe Rogan podcast apparently consists entirely of Rogan talking non-stop to the guest about things completely unrelated to them and showing them youtube videos of animals fighting. Can't say I found it to be a good use of my time.

I am listening to it right now (bow hunting). I wish he would quit asking a question, only to interrupt the answer. Also Sturgill did a podcast with Rogan last year, that so far is better than this one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So this happen last night in Knoxville

Don't miss them if they come to your town.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Happy Hippo posted:

I live in Nashville and have several friends in common with Jasmin from Birdcloud (the young lady in the America pants with the other young lady's face in her crotch) and she's very friendly. Her solo stuff is quite good as well and sounds nothing like Birdcloud.

This was quite the controversy behind their show in Knoxville. Basically a super politically correct left-wing female tried to troll them. She got her band on as openers just so she could try to get the show canceled. She even emailed future promoters to tell them that show got cancelled and that they show cancel too. The reason? She claims Birdcloud is a racist band. Well in the end it backfired, because Birdcloud had one their best money nights in ticket and merchandise sales. The Pilot Light was packed like I never seen it before (120+ in what can be described as an awesome seedy punk club). The whole crowd was singing along to every song. You can read on their social media for more information, but it was an awesome unforgettable night.

Also both of them hung after the show with the fans. I got both of their autographs and a kiss from Jasmine. They loving rule.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of Colorado bands I did see Yonder Mountain String Band at the end of last year. I didn't know a single song by them, but I love bluegrass. Well the first 2 songs went well, but after that I felt like I was listening to what can be best described as pop-jamgrass. I am no traditionalist when it comes to bluegrass, but I realized I hated it. The pop had no soul, and I found the jamgrass boring most of the time. It is my fault. When I saw what look like a bunch of deadheads around me I should of known (while I like some Old and in the Way, I hate the Dead and Phish). I hate jam bands. Funny cause I love Pink Floyd. While not a jam band, they had super long songs at times (Echos, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, etc.) that I love and never find boring.

Morale of the story? Make sure you check out a band before seeing them. I usually do unless at a festival, but I broke that rule with Yonder. It was the first show I ever left early (I did give them over 90 minutes).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 12, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

While I like this, that has to be the most hipster looking band I ever seen, and I live in Knoxville which is mostly 'Hipster Americana' bands where I get called hipster myself (for my tattoos and taste in music).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Colonel J posted:

I'm looking for laid-back moody, atmospheric acoustic fold in the vein of... Thanks for any recommendations!

I think the Dirty Three (Warren Ellis is a member who is also a member of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds) might be something you are interested in. Seriously give this whole song a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic7CeQTsCM0

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 13, 2017