Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sunshine Mix posted:

Edit: yeah Trampled by Turtles is pretty big with my friend group since I live in Minnesota. Haven't really given them a fair listen yet though; I'll rectify that.

Hey Minnesota goon! A lot of my friends are into them but I'm not all that keen to their style. If you do like them, may want to check out another similar band from Minnesota, Diet Folk. A couple of my friends have seen them and really enjoyed em. Anyways my old roommate made one of TbT's tour tshirts a few years back, the ones with the outlines of their heads and beards.

Reason I posted was I recently listened to two albums that I've always lumped into alt-country and have been my favorites for over a decade now:

Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. - Jason Molina at his finest, his voice is couldn't be anymore fitting with the instrumental side of things. "Just Be Simple" ranks among one of my favorite songs ever and the very first line "You never hear me talk about one day getting out\Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?" is just perfect.

The other is The Silver Jews - American Water which features the likes of Steve Berman and Pavements'/The Jicks' Stephen Malkmus on vocals in a few songs. It has the best opening line of any album ever "In 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection" and features a good mixture of songs that are either fun and laid back or very well written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU