Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
hot drat, great thread! I got pretty into country music at college but none of my friends these days are big country fans so I've kind of lost touch with new stuff. I've added a bunch of stuff to my buy list, excited to change like every CD in my car haha.

PS: Everyone says they don't like country, except Johnny Cash, then you play some of the bands/people from this thread and suddenly they're window shopping for boots on the internet. Its really too bad these acts don't get more attention just because the "county" label turns people off right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Spotify notified me I'm in the top 3% of Colter wall streamers.

Honestly not even that big of a fan but I guess also that type of music isn't huge with the average Spotify user.

Cool that they did that. Would be fun to see for other artists.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

So it seems that Ryan Adams was going to produce Southeastern

https://uproxx.com/indie/jason-isbell-interview-reunions-reviews-every-album/

Great read.

You know I started listening to isbell after reading this thread. Around 2017 so really recently.

I would throw a song from him on some driving mix or some background music. Mixed with a bunch of other stuff.

Then I'd find myself humming a few bars or looking up some lyrics and adding more of his songs to the playlist. Spotify's end of year listening insights report was like "this guy is one of your top 3 listens" and I had no idea I listened to him -that- much.

I don't think I've ever had a favorite artist "sneak up" on me like that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

droll posted:

Probably not new information for many thread readers, citations needed released this today: https://medium.com/@CitationsPodcst/episode-119-how-the-right-shaped-pop-country-music-97a9f2002302 - How the Right shaped pop country music

Listened. Like you said, I don't think I'm the target audience since I was already aware of all this but I also question who is.

It seems like their audience would already agree even without knowing details and someone who didn't would nope out pretty fast at the tone and pov. So, sort of a waste :\

I did think it was funny how I'd not heard all their song samples but was super familiar with all the "dissenting artists they rattled off".

Also yet more props to Johnny Cash for playing a protest song for Nixon at the white house.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

He's old, wants to cash out?

Better for his heirs to have a diversified 300m portfolio than everything concentrated and illiquid?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

That's come up on my Spotify radio a few times. I like it too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cocaine county dancing was on hard repeat for a while around here. Still have it in my favorites.

Also have a buddy that looks kinda like him, so that was good for some laughs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

A lot of red dirt artists do fairly straight forward country/rock sounds that might be what you're looking for. You've got like 15 or 20 years of music too some was actually made pretty close to your preferred era.