Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I never finished this game, but I will offer the name I used: Equals
There's a reason behind it, but I don't want to be spoilery out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

His name is Denam. Why not just call it the Holy Order of Slacks? Then we can choose to see who our active Slackers and our reserve Slackers would be.

In my game, I named my hero Equals and he lead the Holy Order of Operations. I need to pick up where I left off with them at some point.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

Stop being such a dick, Vyce. :mad: Can we class change him into a priest? Or whatever class is the most embarrassing for him?
I just stripped him naked and let him run off and kill himself.

Still, the added conversations are a nice touch. Sure, the battlefield may not be the best place to have such banter, but it gives some more characterization to the members of the group... even if it is just childish feuding.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I can't remember entirely, but most non-generics have different speeds. Although some plot characters are faster than others, I think they're all faster then generic characters. Plot characters also tend to have higher overall stats, and at least somewhat predetermined stat spreads (or so I think.)
All I can remember from the original TO was that the plot characters are just straight-up better than any normal grunt you could hire. Didn't keep me from dumping the soldiers I got at the start in the remake and naming them all things like Subtract and Divide so that my Holy Order of Operations would be properly staffed.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

You can change his class, but his "Soldier" class is replaced with his "Birdman" class instead, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: vvvvv Ah, right right. I had a niggling feeling that he also had a smaller class selection list, but couldn't remember exactly.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2012

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I always Fought the Necromancer, so you should too. You're a HOLY order, after all. Deal with those undead!

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I'm curious, I vaguely remember in the original that you could name the non-humans you got. Was that purely through hiring like the soldiers, or can you rename non-humans you recruit? I never really bothered in my army, though I was tempted to pick up a ghost at some point.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Leal posted:

So be honest, how many times did you have to try this before finally succeeding? Sometimes you just get really unlucky and the valkyrie will hit her and crit, and then the archer will hit her and crit, then the wizard finishes her off :smith:
It really is an annoying fight if you choose the "You lose if she dies" option. And, if I'm not mistaken, at least in the original you had to take that option for certain things down the line to occur.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Azran posted:

So you just lost Donnalto permanently? :v: I remember playing the PSX version of this game, and losing a lot of soldiers.
Nah, he used a Stone on him to bring him back. It's TO's equivalent of Phoenix Downs. It's one of the changes I really like in this version. In the original, if a character died... he was just gone unless you had a Priest with Revive (which was a late-game spell). So a lucky hit or a bad move could lose you a valued character really easily. Now you have the FFT-style couple of turns to either complete the mission or get them back up.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

You did an excellent job with the story summary in the update, it was very simple and clear. With the complicated plot it's very handy to have something like that when you aren't actually playing the game and don't have access to the information menu or whatever.
Games like this would probably do well to have a "summary of things thus far" on start-up. FFXIII-2, for all its flaws, did show the last few important events that occurred. I got distracted at some point further on in story on this game and I've completely forgotten what I was doing there. I do know it's some point in the next chapter, so I might find out through the LP and then be able to play along from there.

Or I might just say screw it and recreate the Holy Order of Operations using some of the new stuff I've learned from the thread and see how much better I do.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Ultimately, like H10W says, both of these choices right here, right now, are totally valid. In the immediate context of the decision the best way to boil it down is:

1. I understand. I am willing to serve what my superiors have decided is in the interests of the greater good, acknowledging our situation is as dire as it is, we must dirty our hands to meet our noble goal.
2. Stop this lunacy! If we discard our individual morals, what good is our side in this conflict at all? To lower ourselves so far, we would be no better than they are.

With both, they serve just as well as knee-jerk reactions and as strongly, laboriously considered ones. It's a difficult choice!
It certainly is one of my favorite choices in a game. It's a matter of where you're willing to go in order to win the war. Personally, I went in both my playthroughs (original and this remake) by choosing the moral high ground in regards to this. What kind of hero are we, if we will slaughter our own? Especially since one of our most terrible memories was of seeing own our villagers slaughtered in such a similar fashion.

However, all things considered, there is the matter of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. So... ultimately, for the sake of this LP, I think I understand that sacrifices must be made.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Everything looks normal. Must be his imagination.
I must say, Denim looks surprisingly dapper with a mustache. The eye-patch gives me Big Boss vibes, though.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I vaguely remember the stepping-stone mechanic in the original, but I can't be certain. I mainly just had a Golem I used as a punching bag to level my other characters in Training, and didn't use him much beyond that.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

This was actually around where I stopped. Didn't know this was a side-dungeon and was worried about an option or something being made by choosing a path. Knowing that it's all accessible and not mandatory to the plot, I'll probably hop in and try to pick up where I left off. Especially if that's where we get access to Swordmaster. It was my favorite class in the original.

Which makes my vote of Swordmaster for Denam pretty obvious.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Staticpulse posted:

I'm just for whatever option pisses Vyce off the most.
That's a solid enough reason for me. Join forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Oh, you still kill plenty of people. You just don't kill when people tell you to. You're your own murderer.

• Locked thread