Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Ohhh, I may have to play along with this one. I've been meaning to start up a fresh file, so now's as good a time as any! :D

Also

Denim, 10/11

0.B
1.B
2.C
3.C
4.A
5.B
6.A
7.C
8.A
9.C
10.B
11.B
12.C
13.C
14.C
15.B
16.B
17.A
18.C
19.B
20.C
21.B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Balk posted:

I liked how they gave some characters little titles like that in their dialogue. He's not just Lanselot, he's The Holy Knight Lanselot. The random wizard you meet down the road isn't just Orba, he's The Magus Orba.

There's this, and how everyone gets an entry in the Warren Report. For all the mechanical problems, this game builds a fantastic world. There's a reason it's one of my favourites.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Keldulas posted:

I think Gildas is supposed to be Gilbert, though I'm still stuck on Mirdyn.

I'd suggest Milton for that one. Otherwise I'm stuck. I love these guys though. I'm just bummed that they lost their unique equipment from the original verson. :(

Edit: I thought we were talking translation conventions. Now I look foolish.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 3, 2012

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Whew, I'm gone for a couple weeks and I miss all the fun! I'm glad you got through the Nybbas/Nybeth battle, it can be a huge wall for a lot of people, (myself included in my latest playthrough), so it's nice to him get his rear end kicked. True story.

I like Rune Fencers in this version, since as was outlined earlier, they get access to some nice buff spells, so they're actually nice support for the 10 archers that make up the rest of the army. :v: Also, I love the hell out of knights. And Voltare starting with hammers is kind of nice, since crushing damage is always handy for some later classes to more easily deal with rear end in a top hat golems.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I like how in the original PSX translation, the soldier who got hammer'd was all like "They have bigger swords than us! We can't win! :ohdear:". Good times. Also holy hell, I need to start using Lizardmen more.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Nthing the notion of that being a really nice summary H10W. Even playing the game, the story can get a little hard to follow if you take even a short break, so keeping those up would be a terrific boon to all involved. Good show, jolly good, e.t.c

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

doomfunk posted:

Motherfucking octopi.

This was my entire vocabulary doing my no incapacitate run.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

This is really the part of the game where you realize it's done loving around. You know how terrible the situation is for the Walstanians Walister, and it is testing how far you'll go to elevate your own people. I know I agonized over this choice for a solid 10 to 20 minutes on the PSX, and did so again in the PSP version when I got here. Both paths have ups and downs, but... we shouldn't compromise our values, there's got to be a better way. Stop this lunacy!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Hey, there is no shame in being murdered by a gang of octopi throwing man sized rocks at you. :colbert:

:smith:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

That drawing of Denam running away made me spit up my coffee. Just thought you should know. It was glorious.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Oh dear, that does sound terrible.

Warren Report
Matticus Farrell, born in Golyat, was a competent soldier who lived for his family. Often donating to the local orphanage, he was affectionately known as "Big Brother Matty" amongst the children. His jovial "Ho Ho" as he'd play with the children warmed the hearts of any who witnessed. Fighting for neither fame nor glory, he nevertheless sealed his fate when he captured a member of a known terrorist cell just as Denam's organization arrived. He was overwhelmed and killed at Krysaro.

:smith:

Edit: made warren report stuff easier to find

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 8, 2013

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Hooray, I contributed! :v I always liked Byan Bayin, I think because in the PSX version he was my summon god of death. I do like how they gave semi unique characters pallette swapped sprites that won't change in this version. A later character especially can continue to look ridiculously badass, even if you make him a cleric. And it is amusing. Yes.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

That truly is the best boat. I wish I had one. Take THAT shoddy transmission! Okay I'm bitter about my car :smith:

Warren Report

The Mage Dagon

Dagon Mertens, a teacher at the local school of wizardry in Golyat was the father of Lucylle Mertens, admired for her courageous fight against a deadly hex. Golyat's healers being powerless, he heard tales of a man who made his residence in Qadriga who could lift any curse, for the sum of 30000 goth. Blinded by desperation, Dagon failed to recognize the boy who helped him with his garden, instead seeing Denam as the way to save his daughter. He was felled in Golyat by the Order of Goons, his daughter's fate sealed.

VVV: Happy to help :3: :smith: Even if I make myself sad. Also I apparently made a typo and that makes me bad person. I've since fixed it.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 9, 2013

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

FairGame posted:

I had a playthrough where it was Lawful Warlock Denam + 9 undead and it was absolutely amazing.

Then I got to the battle where you fight the lady with Starion and she vaporized 9/10 of my team because I wanted to see what the spell did.

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat or anything, but I wish I was there to see the look on your face. :allears:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Ah Terror Knights. I remember in the original version, I had Denam gain about 15 levels as a ninja getting the kills requirement for it. The end result was a horrifyingly hard to hit tank that never missed with his Gramrock :black101:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

I just like the idea of Ronway having 'do a false flag attack killing a ton of civilians' as the solution to every crisis.

Food Shortage? Better burn Rhime and blame the Galgastani. Plague? If only those damned Bakram hadn't slaughtered the town of Krysaro. Daughter has a cold? It's a shame the Galgastani had to massacre the port town of Asyton. :v:

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 10, 2013

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

You know I can't do that. Never stray from your convictions, lest people think you wishy washy. Also it just feels so... Dirty? to go back to the dudes you basically told to go gently caress themselves earlier.

Though I do like the other route too, I don't think it's a good one for first time viewers to start with. But that's just me. Also gently caress Debordes forever. That dexterity... :smith:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I always saw Leonar as being like a version of what Denam could become. I think the remake's new portrait even looks a little like an older, hardened Denam. But that's just me. Also agreeing with what everyone else said about him being an effective villain.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

See, half the time I read LPs, I learn some really interesting stuff like this. I love when actual history or events can be linked to the game in question, or just when interesting stuff comes up. :)

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Warren Report

Gildora Andyrs

A girl orphaned by Walister rebels, Gildora had a hard life. She was eventually saved when Balbatos and a retinue of his guard felt pity and took her in, saving her from a likely death of starvation and disease. She returned the favour by mastering the magical arts, helping put down uprisings and ending bandit incursions. She fought to the death to defend her cherished home from Denam and his Order of Goons, but was overwhelmed and slain, cursing the Walister with her last breath. It is said her cat familiar's mournful wails still haunt the castle halls at night.

Edited for spelling

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 5, 2013

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

waah posted:

When I am on my deathbed I am gonna really ask myself was it worth it to spend 200+ hours of my life on tactics ogre?

The answer is always yes. :colbert:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

The urge to go South is strong with this one, for to the west lay far too much water. It's a shame those octopi mysteriously vanished...

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

No to the duel. I mean, come on. Dude's a seasoned knight, we're just some guy from a town somewhere. Besides, the Goons gotta earn their pay somehow! :v:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Words cannot express how sad I was that our knightbros don't come with unique swords anymore :( But Gildas' raw :black101: helps some. And they're still pretty solid units if you level them up.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Unless I'm mistaken the only other character that can use the White Knight classmark is Ravness, and she is kind of dead by this point on the chaos route.

The other super secret law route character can too, though there's not much reason to change them from their own unique class.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Hey, uh, I made fanart, of sorts.

(If any have you have WWE '14 on PS3, he's a complete character and available to download too.)

This is awesome, you're awesome.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That go unequipped and without anybody might just be one of the smartest things a strategy game has done to mesh gameplay and story.

Im quickly warming up to the Ogre series. Matsuno should have been more appreciated by Square.

I remember doing that in the original PS1 release (which was a port I know but shut up) and my cousin was warning me that it was kind of a pain in the rear end fight, and I was just like "There's a fight? I just walked up alone and naked and they were like sweet come in". Really burned his rear end.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

waah posted:

Use content manager to transfer your saves to a computer. USB doesn't require the battery to hold a charge to extract all your saves. TO on a vita is amazing and you can transfer your saves (this is for any psp game).

So even if you got emu route at least you don't have to start over.

Oh man, why have I not done this yet. :getin:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

This fight, man. This fight. This is what had me the most frustrated I've ever been at this game. I was stuck on this stupid fight for so long, and then I get a nice sweet gently caress you when I finally won. :sigh: It's okay though, because now I have the power of the death march love of the people!

Seriously this battle can go gently caress itself.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Family is family, we can't fight her, no matter how deluded she may be. Also if she's the legit heir, murdering her would be counter productive. That I cannot do.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

It's really a shame, I really liked zerkers in the original version because they were tanky motherfuckers for your neutral or chaotic units. Now they're just kind of shittier knights. :smith:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

God I love the Barbas fight in all versions of this game solely for the :iceburn: quotient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Denam only did only what he had to do to try to keep her safe and she was too selfish to see it. Maybe she'll listen to us this time! :v:

• Locked thread